It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I'd like to join the tournament. The debates I did before were a lot of fun.

But is there post that explains the new rules? The ones I did were two years ago in the H2H forum, which had different rules.

What Skyfloating said...

[edit on 29-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm in!

Should be a damn good scrap

...until I run into Semper, Vaga or MS.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
First let me welcome our newest "fighters." You are now part one the most intellectually stimulating and merriment filled forums of ATS.

All new fighters and all of those who may be considering joining our ranks, I extend this invitation:

If you have any questions about the rules, strategy, time constraints, or anything relating to the tournament or the debate forum in general, please do not hesitate to contact me via U2U.

Just want to add my assurances that I would be glad to answer any newcomer questions by u2u also
If you have questions, it's definitely better to ask now

[edit on 1/29/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Welcome to the ATS Debate Tournament 2009. Click on any Debate in the Forum-List or check out the last Tournament to get an overview of the Rules.

Sky, if I may add something to clarify.

There is a debate tournament a couple of times a year. If you go to the Debate Forum link you will see that the last one was last fall. The debates for the tournament are indicated "round 2/3/4/etc."

Though they are fun and interesting to read, any debate title that starts with "speed debate" or "holiday skirmishes" has different rules that are not relevant to the tournament. "Challenge Matches" can also in some cases have rule variations as agreed upon between the fighters.

So looking at the previous debate tournament threads is the best way to go as far as familiarizing yourself with the format.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Another tournament already?!? I might as well throw my name into the hat. Looking forward to my next bout!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Oh yea! I have been waiting for this. I would love to participate if time allows.

YAY Tournaments!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
When is the next tournament after this one?

Anyone know?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Can't say that I know, but I would imagine same as last year, late summer/fall.

[edit on 29 Jan 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
When is the next tournament after this one?

Likely as Schro Dog said, late summer early fall.

We did at one point want to work in three tournaments a year but we have had a recent boon in 'off season' participation (Challenge Matches) and as a result I think it is nice to keep the tournaments semi annual so that noone gets tired of them...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Aw shucks. That's pretty far off. OK, let me think about this then. With the sale of my company, my husband being out of town, the house being remodeled, and of course a little one to look after, it might be too much to sign up. But the next tournament seems too far away to wait.

I like to give things my all but that would be impossible this time around. On the other hand, this might be a good learning experience to just get my feet wet so I can 'battle hard' with this experience for when the next one rolls around.

Thanks a bunch. I'll be thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Are there any ideas as to what the first debates will cover? A little extra time for research for us first timers would be nice.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think the best thing to do is probably to look through all the topics from the last tournament. They were pretty wide-ranging. Basically any topic that could come up in any ATS forum is fair game.

There is a rule, and I'm pretty sure this holds in tournaments as well, that you can always turn down a topic that would be traumatic to argue or a position that would be too great a moral offense to you.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Are there any ideas as to what the first debates will cover? A little extra time for research for us first timers would be nice.

All Topics are held until the debates are posted...save for Challenge Matches wherein the two Fighters have agreed to a topic before hand.

Tournaments, however, are random and there is not even a guarentee that you will gain a position that you agree with.

Though no Fighter will have to argue a premise that they are emphatically at odds with, as follows:

Fighters' Bill of Rights
Fighters may, without penalty or dishonor, refuse to argue any that position which constitutes:
(1) A religious offense.
(2) A violation of any law or regulation to which fighter is subject.
(3) A source of emotional trauma to the fighter. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, any debate regarding any type of abuse, adversity, hardship, or disability which has affected the fighter, a fighter's loved ones, or any group/demographic to which the fighter or the fighter's loved ones belong.

No fighter shall lose ranking points as the result of a hardship such as illness or death in the family, natural disaster, etc.

The debate forum staff reserves the right to determine the legitimacy of claims made under this bill of rights, subject to the review of ATS Management.
Rankings, Rules, and Bill of Rights (revised 01/27/09)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Though no Fighter will have to argue a premise that they are emphatically at odds with

But in many instances it makes it more of a challenge and makes for an interesting debate.

To debate for something your completely against takes a lot of courage and actually I find it allows you to understand your opposition even more.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Thanks, guys. It's not as confusing as I first thought. I'll also need to exchange my Writer tag for a Fighter one. Again. I only wrote one story.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'll also need to exchange my Writer tag for a Fighter one. Again. I only wrote one story.

One liners are concidered a story now? Hmm

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Thanks, guys. It's not as confusing as I first thought. I'll also need to exchange my Writer tag for a Fighter one. Again. I only wrote one story.

You can keep both...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Is there still time for me to join?

Im keen as mustard

God I love mustard.......

[edit on 29/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Is there still time for me to join?

Way to bait your challenger pool...