It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe I may have found the tree of knowledge!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by brygivrob

For God's sake they didnt see a gore filled bloody sacrifice of a tree. There were two pillars.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic

For God's sake they didnt see a gore filled bloody sacrifice of a tree. There were two pillars.

You have offered an opinion just as this member has. Please show some respect towards other peoples thoughts and theories. If you wish to disagree fine but please do so in a repectable manner. Thanks

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
...but thoughts like that end up in Jesus crusifictions over time somehow...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Eden was made as a mirror image of Heaven, the Northern Hemisphere. There were 72 official constellations on the heavens, a constellation is a soul, and likeways there were 72 generations of living souls in Eden. Among them were Adam, the Son of Man. And another was Lilith, his first wife, the Serpent. Later in the bible she is the owl:

Isaiah 34:14 The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; Lilith (owl) also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

You're the first poster that has made sense.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
listen uh i think you had the right mind when you said you don't need help to interpret your mac and cheese most of the words in the bible are as they say Jesus was the only time there were alot of parables but the whole eating fruit thing requires no thinking you gotta remember that we are talking the real deal magic stuff they were aware and embarrassed that they were naked because they had human flesh instead of the awesomeness that is the human soul flesh is weak and ugly and they were ashamed......its real simple

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Interesting idea. I'd like to point out that if the word 'tree' us up for interpretation, then the whole passage, indeed the whole book, is as well. Can't we now just as easily interpret the words 'eat' and 'touch' as well? As in to 'touch' could mean to 'consider' or 'feel out' an idea, and 'eat' could mean to 'consume' or 'incorporate a thing into yourself', ala 'you are what you eat.'

The cynic in me views this episode as the world's first sting operation. As he created us in His image, God knew that we'd eventually figure this stuff out(omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, right?), and would start to realize all is not peachy in the garden, so He sets it up so that Satan takes the blame, and we along with him, leaving God in the clear. So here's this garden, and you can eat and use everything here EXCEPT for this one thing. Whats that about? Was the garden somehow flawed without the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil? Since it was there in the beginning, it was obviously part of God's plan, and the garden wouldn't have been complete without it. So is this where free will comes in? That we had to consciously choose to obey God, otherwise we're just slaves? That makes me feel a little better about the whole 'original sin' thing. Still, it seems like the abusive husband rhetoric, as in "do you see how you're making me hit you?" or "This hurts me more than you." I fell down some stairs...

Anyway, interesting idea, though like I said if we're putting the word tree up to interpretation, then we logically have to explore the rest of the phrase, verse, book, bible, etc... It's a slippery slope.

By the way, 72 is a great number. It's 2^3 * 3^3. Not surprising that it pops up all over the place.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
That sucks. My entire post just got wasted.

Long story short,
Whatever the fruit was, its gone now, so we can guess all we want. eating meat now is ok, so if it was meat, it was some unnatural kind.....

About brain evolution;
no worthwhile study supports increasingly complexity - on the contrary, our understanding of human biology throughout history points toward LOSS of information. Sucks, huh? Look it up. Thermodynamics. Example: they've found grains in egyptian tombs that, when planted, produce amino acids we didn't even know EXISTED. Wow.

Take a serious look at the Bible, you guys. You will be amazed and stunned at the accuracy and the coherent message, take it from me

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Isn't the pomegrante symbolically associated with Promethesus and Saturn as well???

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Not sure about Prometheus, but the seeds are part of the Demeter and Persephone story, in that each year Persephone has to stay in Hades one month for each seed she ate while in the underworld, and that's why we have winter months.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I looked up the verses where it talks about the tree of knowledge of good and evil in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. (A good link to it online is here.) The word 'tree' did apparently literally mean tree, as it is related to wood by it's firmness and suitability for making strong things. 'Knowledge' refers to knowing or cunningness, and 'good' and 'evil' mean pretty much what they say.

I tend to think of most of the Bible as being pretty literal (I know there are some exceptions
), so my first instinct would be that it was indeed a tree, but that doesn't mean it didn't contain enough protein in the fruits to allow our brain's higher functions to somehow 'kick in'. I saw those reports that were mentioned earlier about how man needs the proteins in meat to support the larger brain and higher functions. I think there was a report recently about it needing to be cooked as well, so the digestive system could process it more efficiently. I wish I could remember where I read that; hopefully it will come to me. And it does mention a couple times that 'herbs' are to be used for 'meat', pretty explicitly, so that could mean that we weren't originally meant to be chowing down on dead critters.

For a long time I have wondered about this question, and it does seem to me that higher brain functions would be equivalent to 'knowledge of good and evil'. That's what made me take interest in this thread. I think it would also make sense that the tree of life contained some mixture of amino acids that would negate the aging process. Notice that Adam and Eve had to continually eat it to stay immortal.

I believe God had to place the tree there, in order for man to have free will. Think about it, if you lock your child in his room and command him to stay there, his staying there does not mean he wanted to, or that he even listened to you. There had to be something off limits, something man could do to disobey, or his obedience would have been of necessity, not of his free will. I also believe God knew he would sin, and already had things set up to take care of that, but that's a whole 'nother critter.

As for the touching of the fruit, it's not clear if God said that, or if Eve understood that. The only time touching it is said to be forbidden is when she was talking to the serpent; could she have gotten it wrong?

I don't think it was sex, either. God told man to have sex, otherwise how could he multiply? I know this may sound crazy coming from a self-proclaimed Christian, but I see no harm in an occasional roll in the hay, kinda within reason. (A 48 hour orgy might be pushing things, but that's just me... 47 hours and 59 mins in my limit
)

And I checked ahead in the story of Noah... there are some pretty hard-to-ignore references to animals being used for meat there, so it was already a practice apparently.

That's my two coppers' worth.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Actually, yes, there is a theory about why people's life spans shortened. It's one of the more scientific (IMHO) versions of creationism. I could post it here, but it's pretty long, so I would want the OK from one of the mods. I don't want to derail this thread.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
8 Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There is no difference in the descriptions of the all kinds of trees that grow out of the ground and the ones that were planted in the middle. You have to take the scripture literally in this sense that they are in fact talking about trees. No where that i can find in scripture does it ever cross reference an animal to a tree. There's no reason to try and come to the conclusion that the trees in the middle of the garden are figurative trees.

Keeper

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

you didn't destroy it completely, you addressed the main points or questions so don't worry about it.

I do have a question; another thought.

After reading some of the responses since my post, I thought I wonder if it is symbolic?

If you disobey God's commandment, surely then you would learn the consequences of doing that, thus learning, learning = 'tree of knowledge'...so perhaps it could have been any one thing...

I think the fact that the serpent said, you will not die if you eat of it... it was a serious thing, the fact that God said, you will die and Eve decided to eat and doubted what God had told them.

I think it shows that Eve listened to someone else for instruction and then Adam harkened to her voice. Thus the fall.

As for the sexual connotations with fruit, I am not sure about that, the emnity of the seeds is quite interesting though. The bible does mention Gods children and Satan's children...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The serpent is the Kundalini which circles the spine like a snake. The Garden of Eden was the 4th dimension where everything is created by use of the imagination (3rd Eye) only. The fruit in the midst of the Garden refers to the sex organ. When Adam And Eve began using sex to reproduce rather than their perfect imagination, they "fell" into the 3rd dimension. This is the story given by Paramahansa Yogananda and many metaphysical writers, such as Edgar Cayce.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Good topic! And I have much knowledge about this Tree of life. It comes from many cultures, and can be expressed many ways, as you make a great case! And I will agree it has something to do with what is within our bodies.

However if I can take you one step this way. Might I add the Tree of life, is DNA stran. DNA is the tree of life. Atleast that is what I have come to from all my years of study, and the occult. Wiccans, celtics, pagans, Jews, muslims, ect ect all know about the tree of life.. Yet no one can simply agree.
Many religions seem to touch base on this.. All of them have an answer.
When I would say all those who say for sure, are but one small bit of the full puzzle.
The Tree of life can be many things.. And is more than one thing.
Thus I thank you for helping me put another puzzle block into place!

There are many trees of life.. And energy can travle from one to another.
Much like me.. Sometimes I feel as if I am not of this world. Or that I come from another place. My energy was transfered to this Tree of life.
Yes we do live within yet a bigger tree.. Within Trees, that are within trees.
It can also be explain by mulit dimensions. And multi universe.
There are more than one.. And many ways to explain it.
As the human tounge can only fathom a small fraction of what the Tree of life is. Thus from a human mind, I can only use human words to explain this. And you did very well with our limited knowledge of this, and limited expressional emotes!
Thank you kleverone!

[edit on 7-4-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I think the natural vegetarian raw food diet is the closest to the best diet on earth.
I discovered that green leafy vegetables are indeed the fountain of youth as they are in the shape of a fountain and every time i drink green smoothies i look younger. Green smoothies were discovered by Victoria Boutenko in her book green for life. Where she observed our closest relatives the Apes and their diet which consisted of mostly fruit and greens.
I used to be a heavy meat eater but i did not gain clarity of mind and knowledge till i ate lots of raw fruits. Also my spirit self came out. So i speak mostly from the soul wisdom now.
The raw food diet is the ultimate for all peoples on the planet. I suggest you research on it. Its the best healing nourishing diet that the Essenes who taught Jesus, ate!
Not to mention that the longest lving people who eat this way are the Hunza's who reside in the Himalayas.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
WOW.... You guys really need to check out the urantia book and hopefully any one here who is from outside this planet can elaborate on it's meaning and it's odd description of where this tree(of knowledge, life, whatever) really is so have fun reading The Urantia Book ......oh you'll need your thinking caps for this one.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb
8 Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There is no difference in the descriptions of the all kinds of trees that grow out of the ground and the ones that were planted in the middle. You have to take the scripture literally in this sense that they are in fact talking about trees. No where that i can find in scripture does it ever cross reference an animal to a tree. There's no reason to try and come to the conclusion that the trees in the middle of the garden are figurative trees.

Keeper

Entry for the Hebrew word `ets -- tree, as in "the Tree of knowledge of good and evil".

1. tree, wood, timber, stock, plank, stalk, stick, gallows
a) tree, trees
b) wood, pieces of wood, gallows, firewood, cedar-wood, woody flax

KJV usage: tree 162, wood 107, timber 23, stick 14, gallows 8, staff 4, stock 4, carpenter + (02796) 2, branches 1, helve 1, planks 1, stalks 1

As you can see, the word opens up for interpretation. If the story of Jesus had been written in Hebrew they would probably have used the word `ets where we write cross.

Edit: bible.crosswalk.com...

[edit on 8/4/2008 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
Entry for the Hebrew word `ets -- tree, as in "the Tree of knowledge of good and evil".

1. tree, wood, timber, stock, plank, stalk, stick, gallows
a) tree, trees
b) wood, pieces of wood, gallows, firewood, cedar-wood, woody flax

KJV usage: tree 162, wood 107, timber 23, stick 14, gallows 8, staff 4, stock 4, carpenter + (02796) 2, branches 1, helve 1, planks 1, stalks 1

As you can see, the word opens up for interpretation. If the story of Jesus had been written in Hebrew they would probably have used the word `ets where we write cross.

Edit: bible.crosswalk.com...

This is very interesting thank you. Given that the tree was sacred to the pagan peoples of northern europe I am starting to wonder if the KJV was translated into English via the Gothic translation, rather than direct from the original 'tongues'.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join