It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Appears to be Flying Behind the Moon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It comes out of the darkness and brightens up as it gets closer to the moon then fades away as it leaves. The sun or moon brightness is reflecting off it, whatever it is.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Honestly, i think that your explanation is most likely the right one: now i'm trying to recover the footage in its original format. As you can see in my first post, my first reaction has been to invite the guy here: in order to pose him the questions that are needed in these cases. If all that we have is this footage, without further informations, its value is zero. But pheraps the guy could show to us a longer part of the footage, or to send us the original footage, or to answer to some technical qustions about the apparatus that he used: as is, the footage is meaningless. Sorry for being rude, that was not my purpose at all

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If it is in fact behind the moon, then it can't be a meteor, right?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Right back at ya... all text and no body language makes for stupid mistakes. Let's see if he makes it here, and then take it from there.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What I mean is we only see meteors because they are burning up in the atmoshphere.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I just received a reply from the youtube poster. He is trying to get logged in to post.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I was invited to join this discussion thread. I am the one who filmed this object on Monday night around 8:45 cst. This is real whatever it is. I also posted some pics on youtube of it after cropping and enlarging. I am not sure if it flies in front of or behind the moon, however it is rather large and moves fast. I was going to film the eclipse but had the wrong night so that is why I was filming the moon. I did not see any streaks of light in the sky that you would see with a meteor. This ufo or whatever it is just flew past my viewfinder.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
IMHO, there is not enough evidence to say with 100% certainty that this is in front of the moon.

Well the alternative would be an object around about the size of a large city (already mentioned in this thread) passing behind the moon, without any of the astronomical community noticing it. It would also need to be traveling about 4000km per second to pass behind the moon's diameter in less than a second as it appears on the video. Thats about 135 times faster than any recorded object in space.

Here's a view of the Earth from the Moon, you should be able to spot Tokyo as one of the largest cities, about 2,200 km2.

www.fourmilab.ch...

It may not be 100% certain that it's in front of the moon, but it's not very likely that it's behind it.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sean

The moon is sun-lit right? When you can see the moon, that means the sun has to be somewhere behind you and off to the side right? Now, if it were indeed an object passing behind the moon, then it should also pass through the moon's shadow, and since the sun, moon, and Earth can't be directly in line (meaning the moon would be going through a lunar eclipse, which it obviously is not in this video) then you would see the object dimming/disappearing when it is apparently close to the moon, which is not the case. Sorry - this theory is a non-starter!

Edit to add: If what you suggested was true, then the object should be at it's brightest towards the edges of the frame. This is not the case, and it's obvious IMHO that this is a self-luminous object.

If it is in fact behind the moon, then it can't be a meteor, right?

Correct.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

link   
reply to post by theyareoutthere

Thanks for joining in so quickly. I'm going to leave the technical questions to others as I am no expert. This is a very interesting video.

link   

Hi, theyareoutthere, and welcome to ATS:
i'm interested in knowing what apparatus did you use, its framerate, its aperture and if you could be so kind to share the original uncutted video, if it's not too huge.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Got to get to work but will be back online. I am using a sony dcr-sr82 camcorder. This is a digital one with one of those hard disk drives. I am not sure what framerate it uses. The original video is over 14 minutes long. I would be glad to post it here if someone tells me how. Of course it is copyrighted. In response to another post from flice I think it was, I am requiring approval to comments on youtube for all my postings now. The reason being that quite frankly they will let anyone on youtube and some of the past comments I have received prove that are some really jerky and dumb people out there.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Try one of these theyareoutthere:
www....(nolink)/
www.sendspace.com...
www.zshare.net...

...although I doubt it will make much difference.

PS. Nice catch of a meteor! Not often you see one fly infront of the moon!

[edit on 21-2-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

reply to post by flice

If the object did indeed fly in front of the moon, it seems to me that there would be some evidence of that in the latter part of the footage.

IMHO, there is not enough evidence to say with 100% certainty that this is in front of the moon.

What method did the original YouTube author used to "block out" the Moonlight in the latter part of the footage? Could the method he used to block out the moonlight also block out the image of the object fying in front of the Moon.

Another thing...the original YouTube author gave as his only evidence the fact that it must have flown behind the Moon because "the light shines on it as it passes". What light?? The back of the Moon doesn't reflect any light during a full or nearly full Moon -- there would be NO LIGHT REFLECTED FROM THE BACK OF THE MOON to shine on any object behind it.

Also, as was said before in another post, that object would need to be HUGE to be able to be seen from 240,000+ miles away.

This is probably just a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere that just happened to fall between the Moon and the observer. Not all meteors have bright tails, and the tail on this one may have been out-shined by the bright Moon.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Thanks, theyareoutthere, for taking the time to post before leaving and we will look forward to viewing the rest of the footage.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Thank you for taking the time to answer:
about how to do: i'd suggest you a free file hosting service.
About the comments on YouTube, i NEVER allow comments to my videos

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

the effects I used later on were embossing and detect edges. I am not sure if this thing flew behind the moon or not. On my youtube posting I titled the video UFO flies by moon, not flies behind the moon. I think it is in front of the moon and that is what I was trying to show with the effects. I spoke with my son-in-law who is a video post production engineer said perhaps I could get After Affects or Final Cut Pro and do a frame by frame editing. I would really like to know for sure if in front of or behind moon. I used Nero 8 Nerovision to edit the video and put the effects in the second and third sections.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this is a transit of the International Space Station across the Moon's disc. The apparent velocity of the object and its relative brightness look to be exactly right. Transits of the ISS across the sun, moon and the planets are relatively common and easily predictable for any particular location. Some amateur astronomers make a hobby out of photographing or videoing such events. If the one who took this didn't intend to capture the ISS, then it was purely fortuitous. He was lucky.

If the exact coordinates of the camera and the time/date of capture are incorporated into the software, it may be possible to do a reterospective prediction to confirm the transit.

Here's a link to a typical resource offering videos and software to do the job.

ISS Transits of Moon

WG3

[edit on 21-2-2008 by waveguide3]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is interesting footage, but it has all the indications of an asteroid. We have been experiencing these events the past few days. Nice work.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Just so the individual who filmed this object will not feel alone, about six years ago, as I was sitting on my patio in the mid afternoon, the moon was visible in my sight. As I sat there staring at the moon, I saw the exact same scenario you filmed. To say the least, it caught me off guard when I saw it and created some apprehension within me.

What was my impression? The only thing I could conclude is that it must have been a satellite or meteor flying by. Now that you have posted this, I am convinced that it must be a common occurrence.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join