It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeing colors that aren't there

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
When I was a young girl, on occasion when I tried to sleep at night, I would see two colors interfering with my vision-- pinkish purple and yellowish green. They were hazy and translucent, alternating and fading out. Sometimes it'd get so strong that I got really irritated and scared about it. It happened especially when I was sick. I would tell my mother when it happened and she didn't know what I was talking about. It's only happened a handful of times since I've been an adult.
What makes me post it on ATS is that this thread just reminded me of it (my experience was involuntary), and that I can't find anything on the web remotely close to what I experienced.
Anybody have any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It sounds like some type of hallucination. You don't have to be on a hallucinagenic drug to hallucinate many people have them naturally from time to time.

Not to scare you, but it could possibly be a sign of schizophrenia or other mental illness if they continue and get worse, in that case I'd see a doctor.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Before leaping to conclusions with wild tales of hallucinations or schizophrenia, consider it may be nothing more than normal optic nerve reactions. Most people, if they close their eyes, see colored swirls and shapes for a few minutes.

A phone call to a your local friendly optometrist or opthamologist may be be enlightening.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by airrikka
on occasion when I tried to sleep at night, I would see two colors interfering with my vision-- pinkish purple and yellowish green. They were hazy and translucent, alternating and fading out.

What you experienced is really quite common, but also interesting on many levels. The most ordinary method of producing the same effect is by putting a gentle pressure on your eyes with the palms of your hands.

en.wikipedia.org...

The most common phosphenes are pressure phosphenes, caused by rubbing the closed eyes. The pressure mechanically stimulates the cells of the retina. Experiences include a darkening of the visual field that moves against the rubbing, a diffuse coloured patch that also moves against the rubbing, a scintillating and ever-changing and deforming light grid with occasional dark spots (like a crumpling fly-spotted flyscreen), and a sparse field of intense blue points of light. Pressure phosphenes can persist briefly after the rubbing stops and the eyes are opened, allowing the phosphenes to be seen on the visual scene.

www.oubliette.zetnet.co.uk...

Phosphenes and form constants are generated by the human neural system, and can be seen with the eyes closed.

These 'lights' can be viewed without any pressure from the hands as well. In a completely darkened room, for example, where everything is totally pitch black or just closing your eyes in a darkened environment.

The key words to look for when researching this phenomena are 'phosphenes', 'form constants', and 'entoptics'.

I would not be too concerned about it, airrikka, but, as dave_54 said, discussiong this with your doctor might be a wise thing to do. However, I've experienced these things all my life (I'm 60 now) and have never had a 'real' health problem, only transitory ones.

I've experienced both the auditory and visual effects every time I close my eyes. Sometimes it happens with my eyes open, even on a sunny bright day.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This IS really interesting, masqua. I had no idea what to look for in terms of searching for what it might be called, but this seems to be fairly similar to what I experienced. I guess maybe when I had a fever or headache when I was ill as a child may have had an effect on my eyes somehow and did that. It doesn't really compare to what happend when you press on your eyes, but it is similar in some ways. When I press on my eyes, I see tiny geometrical patterns and shapes in color, tiny dots of bright blue, accompanied by a slow bursting effect of changing colors behind the shapes. That color burst is kind of similar, but it only does the two colors, one after the other. Btw, I promise I'm not on acid.

I don't really think there is cause for concern now, because it rarely happens nowadays. Next time I see the eye doctor, I will bring it up though. Thanks for the info!

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by airrikka
I guess maybe when I had a fever or headache when I was ill as a child may have had an effect on my eyes somehow and did that.

One of the main reasons for such 'visions' is physical stress. There is no doubt about that and it's the reasoning behind fasting, wandering in the desert for 40 days, sensory deprivation, sitting deep in a cave and all sorts of other things people will do to bring on the phenomena.

The most vivid experiences I've had, personally, are in the hot, pitchblack darkness of a Native American sweatlodge. I'm breathing in a mixture of cedar oil and steam while the heat gets so bad, it is almost unbearable. But, with my eyes open, I see nothing but swirling colours, blooming, fading and replaced with another hue. The darkness in such a lodge is absolute...you cannot see your hand in front of your face and if you do see a hand, your mind is imagining it.

It doesn't really compare to what happend when you press on your eyes, but it is similar in some ways. When I press on my eyes, I see tiny geometrical patterns and shapes in color, tiny dots of bright blue, accompanied by a slow bursting effect of changing colors behind the shapes. That color burst is kind of similar, but it only does the two colors, one after the other. Btw, I promise I'm not on acid.

I believe you. There is no need for drugs to 'help you' see such things, in fact, I firmly believe they only confuse you and make anything you do see in your visions less memorable (cuz you can't remember them :p )

I agree the swirling geometrical patterns and spots of light are different from the clouds of colour.

I don't really think there is cause for concern now, because it rarely happens nowadays. Next time I see the eye doctor, I will bring it up though. Thanks for the info!

There are some things which, when seen superimposed upon your normal vision, are indicative of a health problem. For instance, when I am tired from working too hard, a segment of my vision disappears. It is shaped like a segment of an orange and filled with iridescent bars of light. This is called a 'navicular entoptic' or 'scotoma' which often precedes a migraine. If I notice it, I lay down and close my eyes, breathe slowly, groove on watching it as it moves, (because it is still visible behind my eyelids) and save myself the unpleasantness of the headache.

fixed quote

[edit on 7/11/06 by masqua]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I realize that this discussion has been closed for a long time, but last night, I was seeing colors as well. While all of your reasons sound perfectly logical, is there any explanation for being able to change the color like from green to red or anything? Cause that's what I did last night. I was also able to move it between my hands. I could never keep it there for long but I could somewhat move it around in my head.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Is it normal to see colors like would you did from it is it that I am really sick or something worst because I see colors the last time I saw the colors was today will I be okay?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lamby11

Die not did *^

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: airrikka

I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not as I just wanted to respond quickly, but this to me sounds like what's known as an "aura" usually associated with migraines.

People think you've got to have a headache for a migraine to be taking place but that isn't always the case & you did say it was prominent when you were 'sick.' This from "The Migraine trust" explains:

In some people, changes in the cortex area of the brain cause changes in their sight, such as dark spots, coloured spots, sparkles or ‘stars’, and zigzag lines. Numbness or tingling, weakness, and dizziness or vertigo (the feeling of everything spinning) can also happen.

Now I'm not saying this is what it is, may not be relevant at all but thought I'd try and help.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
And like a dummy I've just seen this is almost a decade old 🙈

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
there is a thing called impossible colour en.wikipedia.org... , maybe thats what u saw

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Do you think you might of been seeing thought forms?, Read the BOOK Thought Forms by Annie Besant.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
When you were feeling sick, did you take any OTC meds?
I know some people who have taken certain cold medicines that caused changes in their color perception.
It went away when they stopped taking the medication.
I think you might find a precaution listed in the fine print of some of these meds.

new topics

top topics

join