It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to become an exorcist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I was wondering if you can become an exorcist but not being a priest? Just be a simple man who has authority and knowledge to perform an exorcism. Any thoughts?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I don't think so, although my only knowledge of exorcisms comes from watching The Exorcist
I would assume that expelling a demon or devil or whatever (if they do exist) from a person would require a lot of faith and belief in god(s) otherwise you have no "power" over the possessing spirit. Other religions besides Christianity have way of expelling "demons" from people as well, but all would be part of a religious doctrine and required invoking the power of a higher being. These were only done by priests, shaman, witch doctors, and other high ranking officials of whatever given religion because they were considered to be closer to god(s), as far as I know.

EDIT: Grammer and spelling

[edit on 4-5-2006 by deadboi]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Well I thought about something like Constantine. He was not a priest and he could perform exorcism. So is that possible or is it just made up for the movie?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Never seen Constantine.

Honestly, I have no clue and like I said I have no real knowledge on the matter that is just my assumption based on bits and pieces I've picked up. When it comes to shamans, witch doctors, and the like they were/are considered to have supernatural powers that enable them to commune with spirits, perform magic, and/or call upon the powers of god(s) thus they were the ones who could deal with cases of possession. When it comes to religions such as Christianity I'm not so sure. Is the shepherd more holy then the sheep in his flock? I'm not sure. But as far as I know acts such as exorcism, in any religion, were/are preformed by priests and other religious leaders. But in all cases it requires unconditional faith. And again, I could be wrong.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi 007
I was wondering if you can become an exorcist but not being a priest? Just be a simple man who has authority and knowledge to perform an exorcism. Any thoughts?

Yes, Exorcism from Catholicism is actually rooted in Judaism.
I have a sefer (book) in Hebrew on Exorcism. [not sure its common knowledge, I study the esoteric realms of Judaism]

and no you dont have to be priest or Jewish to be an exorcist, but if you look into what is really happening, you may find things are not quite as they seem. [point is, have fun in what you do]

peace

dalen

d1k

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
but if you look into what is really happening, you may find things are not quite as they seem. [point is, have fun in what you do]

Can you elaborate on this? You sparked my interest with this comment.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

and no you dont have to be priest or Jewish to be an exorcist, but if you look into what is really happening, you may find things are not quite as they seem. [point is, have fun in what you do]

Yeah pretty interesting tell me more please. Thank you.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Jedi 007]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If you wanna be an exorcist then you might want to look into the roman ritual

www.holygrail-church.fsnet.co.uk...

Also you'll need abundant faith in God and Jesus because like JC said if you have enough faith you can move mountains.

Hope it helps.

Why do you need to know anyway?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You certainly do not need to be a priest, every religious belief I know of from Christianity to tribal has some semblance of an exorcism ritual. Yet the one thing they had that you may or may not, is overwhelming faith in what they are/ were doing. The expelling of demons/ negative entities is not something you just stumble into. Even the few Demonologists (always self procrlaimed) in the world if they validate a possession seek the help of religious figures. An informative/ fascinating/ terrifying read that you should look into is "The Demonologist" by Gerald Brittle, the subject, Ed Warren, is generally accepted as the most acclaimed demonologist in the U.S. at least (for instance The Ammityville Horror is based loosely off his work.) While their are some overtly Christian parts of the book it is a great read, although their are parts that will scare the living hell out of you.

The Demonologist

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Aha I see. Thank on the info all.

By the way ELMO777 as far as I know the roman ritual is used only by catholic priests. Can it be used by non catholics and non priests?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
A person can't just pick up the Roman Catholic exorcism
book and call themselves an excorcist.

To be able to use the Catholic rite you absolutely have to be
a priest and you have to be chosen by the church to be an
exorcist. Also ... the church doesn't choose
people who want to be exorcists. The church picks the priests
based on prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit.
Exorcists have to encounter evil spirits who lie and who know
all about the priest. During exorcisms the evil spirits will use
EVERYTHING about the priest against him. He has to be a
very holy man to be able to withstand the onslaught.

Other religions have exorcists of their own. Forget about
the Catholic rite. You wouldn't be able to use it because you
are not an ordained priest and you haven't been chosen.
When exorcists are chosen by the church, they have to remain
secret and they can't go telling everyone either. It has to do
with humility ... something essential when they deal with the
devil and evil spirits.

Go find another religion to study exorcism from.
The Catholic one isn't for you.

Try the deliverance prayers of the fundamentalist protestants.
They are powerful and are able to be performed by the lay people.

[edit on 5/5/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Exorcists have to encounter evil spirits who lie and who know
all about the priest.

Yeah like politicians and bishops and cardinals and the like.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi 007
I was wondering if you can become an exorcist but not being a priest? Just be a simple man who has authority and knowledge to perform an exorcism.

The RCC only permits Catholics Preists to perform official exorcisms.

Other religions have other rules. Heck, you could perform the RCC rite of exorcism, unsanctioned by the church. It consists of little more than reading a prayer.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan[

Heck, you could perform the RCC rite of exorcism, unsanctioned by the church. It consists of little more than reading a prayer.

So what else besides a prayer?

[edit on 5-5-2006 by Jedi 007]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The prayer/recitation of prayer ritual is the main thing. Besides that, i think that the church sprinkles holy water around and on the person, puts a cross out. Thats about it.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Aha yes I know that already. I am curious if there are exorcists like Constantine (non priest exorcists)?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Contantine was a fictional movie. There are people who aren't Catholic Preists who do exorcisms. None of them have wild action packed adventures or get laid by hot demon babes.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
But whats the difference between the roman ritual exorcism and other exorcist rituals?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Really just the wording. The absolute faith that each religious person has in what they are saying is what leads to the effect of casting the "demon" out.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I'd think more than twice about attempting an excorcist without proper training. As Father Malachai (sp) Martin said many times on his Coast To Coast appearances, if you try to exercise a demon and don't really know what you're doing, then the demon will haunt you for the rest of your life. Some priests have died during exorcisms from heart attack, etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join