It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NOBODY should be using the 'thumbs up' emoji in 2022

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yeah I use it in intraoffice chat. We all do as shorthand for "got it". It is basic acknowledgement that we are acting on a message.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Like 'Roger' imagine how that'd piss them off I'm not Roger!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   

My 20 year old cousin just came out as gay, while everyone was stroking his ego about how brave he was i gave him some solid advice. "Watch out for monkey pox on cocks." I could see the internal malfunction happen in real time.

Tact has never been my strongest suit.

edit on 12/10/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

As it should be.
But there are plenty who suffer from the forever young delusion who'd copy and imitate everything the younglings do.
No matter how stupid.

Well, you've got a point there. My husband works with one of those guys... always up with the latest TikTok challenge and all the new dance moves and cool jargon... my husband just shakes his head.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah I use it in intraoffice chat. We all do as shorthand for "got it". It is basic acknowledgement that we are acting on a message.

Just what it's supposed to be! No one sends a thumbs up out of the blue. There's been some interaction beforehand.

I find it very odd that the same people who have acronyms and shorthand for everything don't get the point of a simple thumbs up. "Got it" -- what's so hard?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The hate mongers hate it when somebody gets credit for something the hate mongers tried to hate.

Excellent Thread 👍

👍

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Oh wow! That's brave!!!

But it's good advice. And I gotta say that's exactly the type of thing my dad would have said -- without apology. And without judgment. Just brass tacks.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

My 20 year old cousin just came out as gay, while everyone was stroking his ego about how brave he was i gave him some solid advice. "Watch out for monkey pox on cocks." I could see the internal malfunction happen in real time.

Tact has never been my strongest suit.

There was a guy I went to high school with. This guy was literally more feminine than most of the girls.
He wore pink, he was as gay as a person can be gay. Then he officially came out in college and we were all like…did you not know? I guess he wanted to make it official, official in case anyone had any doubt.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

To be fair it's harder to tell with the younger generation, he's one of these strange quiet kids that needs a good feed and more sunlight. I'm not sure if he's doing it for attention or truly attracted to other men. He's not camp but at the same time it's no surprise to me as he's very "woke". If it was anyone else in the family he would probably have had a full meltdown and went mental but it's been established historically not to try the aggressive card with me. That and my arms are probably bigger than his waist.

One thing i can tell you is that i'm off the Christmas card list.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Analog clocks are a mystery to many of them too, I've seen it in my 16yr old son's friends.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Analog clocks are a mystery to many of them too, I've seen it in my 16yr old son's friends.

I'd forgotten about that! But you're right. I've seen it too. I know it doesn't always come easy, but it's a skill worth learning. My daughter had a hard time learning to tell time, but it clicked eventually. And she's glad she knows now!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

In the UK we all learn to drive manual cars, it's a prerequisite of gaining a full UK driving licence. You can apply for an automatic only one but i've never met anyone over here that only drives autos.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Wait, American kids can't tell the time? My lad could read a clock from around age 3 or 4.

What's the world coming to.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

That's the way it should be!
Now with the shift to EV's they won't know anything except "GO" and "STOP"

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

Wait, American kids can't tell the time? My lad could read a clock from around age 3 or 4.

What's the world coming to.

You read that right. Schools stopped teaching it back in the '90s -- along with military time and universal time. And cursive writing and multiplication tables.

At my kid's school, it was right after my son learned it all in 3rd grade and before my daughter started the 3rd grade. I was the mean mom who made her learn anyway. And it wasn't really a hardship for her (despite her complaints), because she'd been right there while her brother was learning, and already pretty much knew it.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   

It's good that you took up the slack from the flawed education system. I'm the same with my kids, they were both more than prepared before even starting school. Could both read, write and count before their first day. I still try with my 14 year old even now, although it's less formal. We play historically accurate strategy PC games together and then discuss and research the historical figures from the game. It's good chat in the car when we're on long journeys. He can name every world leader, their political affiliation, the various major treaties, events and every capital city from WWII due to the Hearts of Iron game. I much prefer this to the games his friends play which is essentially shooting each other and screaming abuse down the mic.
edit on 12/10/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Agreed
But that's a trait of my generation as well (not comfortable in the spotlight).

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

So basically, anything that expresses emotion is bad.

anything that expresses emotion that are from "old people" is bad yes, and by old people they mean 35 y/o people.... because I don't they are cancelling their ways to express themselves to their generation or to other. s

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

How can they turn such a wholesome thing such as a thumbs up into something passive aggressive.

What’s next smiling?

Smiling is a sign of privilage.

Don't you know how many people are suffering from depression and anxiety disorders?

Don't you know how many people are afraid to smile because they can't afford dental plans?

And don't you dare let them catch you smiling while being white, you'll never hear the end of it.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Laughing is a good thing, and there's plenty to laugh at in the tragi-comedy we're living through.

I plan on continuing to use the thumb emoji when so inclined, not in retaliation or anything, but because I'm old enough not to care if it makes some people think I'm old or if they don't like how I express myself.
:LOL:

These kids are the guinea pigs for many, at times concurrent, social and medical experiments so I really can't blame them for being all messed up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join