It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NOBODY should be using the 'thumbs up' emoji in 2022

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:06 AM
link   
We got such a laugh from this this morning that I thought I'd share the giggles:

Why NOBODY should be using the 'thumbs up' emoji in 2022 - and the 10 symbols only 'old people' use that have Gen Z rolling their eyes

• Gen Z sees the thumbs up emoji as rude or passive aggressive, they say
  • The emoji is commonly used in casual and professional conversation
  • People aged 35 and over are more likely to use the symbol but it is alienating
  • Other emojis only used by 'old people' include 'crying laughing' and the heart

To be fair, I'm not sure there is any place for emojis in professional correspondence, but "rude"? "Passive aggressive"? "Alienating"??? They get all this from a thumbs up? Oh lordy!!!

The other emojis listed are OK hand, Tick, Poo, Loudly crying face, Monkey eye cover, clapping hands, Lipstick kiss mark, and Grimacing face.

I'm one of those over-35s who uses the thumbs up after a conversation/discussion has taken place, and I just want to say "sounds good" or "got it". It's quick and easy for both parties. I also use the red heart (and all the other colored hearts) -- but mostly just with family; and the laughing-crying face to show I'm joking or not taking something seriously. I can't imagine sending the lipstick kiss mark to anyone except my husband, and I wouldn't send it to him either/

Apparently some folks DO take this quite seriously!

But is this really an age thing? Sounds more like grievance collecting to me. With all the craptastic people doing craptastic things, the last thing I want to do is find reasons to be offended. Even if offense is intended, ain't no skin off my back. I'll just laugh and shake my head and keep doing what I'm doing.

Is this really a thing at all? Anyone else heard about this? Anyone actually agree with this?

Thanks in advance for the replies

(couldn't resist!)

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The sheer entitlement of "we don't use these emojis so you shouldn't either, but these are the ones we deem permissible!"

Just NO. Respect your elders, you young whippersnappers!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:17 AM
link   

So basically, anything that expresses emotion is bad.

We are to live in a Contextless Society, void of emotion.

The nihilism is brooding amongst the young.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I use words in professional communications.
If I was blasted by a ‘Gen Z’ person for using a thumbs up emoji in a casual text, I think I would probably respond with an “F-U”.
That is all.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

The young have been failed in most ways, gen z is depressed and isolated with fewer prospects than their parents and less likely to be able to afford housing or anything else than the previous several generations.

Let them have their thumb wars

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Gen Z is the most stupid generation that's ever existed.

They've the largest percentage that think a persons biology is a matter of choice.

So I am giving them the
of rudness.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:25 AM
link   

:poo:

If you are traumatized by an emoji, you are screwed in this life.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

The sheer entitlement of "we don't use these emojis so you shouldn't either, but these are the ones we deem permissible!"

Exactly! LOL!!!

I'm still laughing that they think their druthers matter in any way, shape or form! The sense of entitlement is completely over the top. Sheesh!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I roll my eyes at them every day. Especially when I hand them a quarter, a dime, a nickel, and they have to ask their colleague to help them figure out how much that comes out to.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

So basically, anything that expresses emotion is bad.

We are to live in a Contextless Society, void of emotion.

The nihilism is brooding amongst the young.

By golly I think you've got something there... they can't be offended if no one says anything, right? Including via emojis, which must be 1000X worse because everyone knows a picture is worth 1,000 words!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I'm shocked, being "older" I had no idea I was offending or making anyone uncomfortable by giving them a

!

Now that I have been made aware, I will go out of my way to use it as often as possible

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I use words in professional communications.

As would I, and that's entirely acceptable and respectable. Even more important, clear and practical.

If I was blasted by a ‘Gen Z’ person for using a thumbs up emoji in a casual text, I think I would probably respond with an “F-U”.
That is all.

Too funny! Wish I could be a fly on the wall when they read it....

I think I'd be more inclined to send that laughing-crying emoji back to them. Maybe three in a row!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Let them have their thumb wars

You have a kind heart and a practical approach. Good for you

I'm still laughing though...

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I ❤️
🤣

Sorry I had to!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So I am giving them the
of rudness.

Oh my! I bet they never saw that coming!

Moral of the story: If you really want something to cry about, someone will give it to you!

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

:poo:

If you are traumatized by an emoji, you are screwed in this life.

Yup! Yup! Yup!!!

Ya know what's funny? I have never ever used the poo emoji... but my daughter uses it with each other all the time! I really don't think it was the older folks who came up with that one.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I roll my eyes at them every day. Especially when I hand them a quarter, a dime, a nickel, and they have to ask their colleague to help them figure out how much that comes out to.

If they heard us old folks laughing at them, I'm sure eye rolling would be the least of their complaints. It can always be worse, eh?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   
We've all been "that" generation to the more mature generations around us. Well, It's our turn to moan now, damn it!!

Kids with their stupid phones and dumb simplified language, they don't know how good they have it!!

edit on 12-10-2022 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Bunch of soft little crybabies.

I'm so sick of being dictated to by a generation of know-nothing spoiled brats who cry at every little thing.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Now that I have been made aware, I will go out of my way to use it as often as possible

Yes! Do!!!

These little darlings have no idea what they've let themselves in for!!!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join