It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NOBODY should be using the 'thumbs up' emoji in 2022

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I don't disagree, I feel very similar about that thumbs up emojie. It feels rather cold most of the time, specially when it comes from the girl you're currently dating.

Then again, I'm only 34 years old, so maybe I'm less disconnected with those genzers.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: malvy

I don't disagree, I feel very similar about that thumbs up emojie. It feels rather cold most of the time, specially when it comes from the girl you're currently dating.

Thank you for chiming in! You're the first to agree. For what it's worth, it's a bummer that you feel that way, but maybe you're just reading too much into it... or disappointed she wasn't warmer or more affectionate... and she may just be busy or distracted or just did her nails. If she's not being rude or nasty, it's still good.

And I guess I don't disagree that it's not especially warm or affectionate, but it's not supposed to be. But it is a positive. It's just a glyph of sorts to say "okay" or "sounds good." An affirmative response to you.

Then again, I'm only 34 years old, so maybe I'm less disconnected with those genzers.

Maybe. Or maybe it's the hopes and anticipation of young love! Nothing wrong with hoping and wanting more, but no need to think the worst if it doesn't happen.

My husband and I use it when we're texting but also working or otherwise busy. I kinda figure most people do the same. It's just quick and easy -- "got it". But we're old married folks. If we're texting, it's for a specific purpose. So quick and easy is all we need or want.

Everyone's got their own needs and circumstances and druthers tho.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 11:29 PM
link   
These politically correct, gender fluid pansies make me want to puke. Not only would my REAL opinion of gen Zers get me banned from the net, it would probably include a visit from the local federal constabulary.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepBass

Well that's not good... and not much different than someone being offended at a thumbs up. And in both instances, it's no skin off the other's back... hurts yourselves the most.

We choose who we let offend. This just isn't worth the energy and emotion!

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well Gen Z... Had a laugh reading the source.
Looks like that whole gén was on some QI blockers...
What will next gen will be?

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yep.

The Youngest Millennials of my gen, & the younger babyfaces, are indeed --

Wait for it!

puss-asses.

Whoda thunk it, the participation trophy generations can't even handle a
gesture. Or even the PICTURE of it.

My gawd, no one with a mindset like that deserves any respect or sympathy. Start earning those for once, crying your eyes out is a lame-ass cheat code in life.

Long walks, short piers, and preferably Lake Superior in the midst of a November Gale is my best offer for those folks.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   

WTF? I'm 38 & my husband & I use the thumbs up emoji often.

I do not understand people like you who over read into that shiz, it's irritating as hell. All that tells me is Im glad I married Gen X instead.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The thing is, I'm actually not one of those who gives a lot of importance to texting, social networks or even most social interactions. Just look at how long it has taken for me to reply to you, you probably won't even read this anymore haha. A girl actually broke up with me a while ago because I wasn't texting her that often anymore, and because sometimes it would take me a while to reply to her

But none of this changes how I feel about that emojie. Maybe it's the culture in my country, here we often use the thumbs up kinda sarcastically (and not just the emojie, but the gesture itself). So maybe that has something to do with here.

And it's not just in a dating or social environment. Back when I was still employed, my boss quite passively demanded for all of us to keep communicating via whatsapp (all these started way before the pandemic was even a thing). I hated that, since it's not like the institution had bought me my phone or was paying for my internet service, so how could they dare to demand me to use for work something which was purchased by me for my personal use, and it was never stated on any part of my contract or anything. Anyway, I remember how I often would give my superiors all these long and detailed updates via whatsapp which would take quite a while to type in without any typos or grammatical errors, both at working and leisure hours (since the job demanded for us to be alert at all times), and their usual reply was a simple thumbs up reaction/emojie. I don't care what generation you're from, that behavior definitely is kinda insulting at the least, don't you agree?

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: malvy

No, stop being a snowflake.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I don't know for how long you have been married but, texting done right can be a very useful tool in the dating game (not with every girl, though). So I think reading between the lines in texting patterns and emojies usage is just a natural consequence of that?

Trust me, I don't really like texting and social networks, but I think these days it's quite difficult to try maintaining or starting a relationship without either of those (at least at the beginning).

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Exactly what makes me a snowflake according to you?

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: malvy

You're offended by emojis.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Who gives a flying # what any self-centred, weak minded, overly-sensitive Gen Z knobhead thinks?
There is enough going on in the world to worry or concern oneself with other than making an issue out of something so trivial and irrelevant.

I'll use whatever I want.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Whoda thunk it, the participation trophy generations can't even handle a
gesture. Or even the PICTURE of it.

My gawd, no one with a mindset like that deserves any respect or sympathy. Start earning those for once, crying your eyes out is a lame-ass cheat code in life.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder HTH this even became a thing.... thinking it's their job to be Emoji Sheriff. Who even wants that job? What were their parents thinking? What did these parents teach their kids?

But I'm still finding it more amusing than anything. I think I'd actually find it even more amusing if they were just finding us amusing and laughing at us! Then we could all just laugh at each other (and ourselves).

Anything else is just too much energy and emotion to expend on something so trivial.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The thing is, I'm actually not one of those who gives a lot of importance to texting, social networks or even most social interactions. Just look at how long it has taken for me to reply to you, you probably won't even read this anymore haha.

Of course I'm still reading! It's bad form to post a thread and then to not tend that thread. Sure, folks do it all the time, or only respond to the people who agree, or whatever. But I like to tend my threads. (And it's part of the T&Cs we all agreed to when we signed up).

A girl actually broke up with me a while ago because I wasn't texting her that often anymore, and because sometimes it would take me a while to reply to her

You may want to thank her for not wasting any more of your time then...

But she's probably not unusual these days. At least not in terms of the "rules" and etiquette surrounding cell phone use these days. My son told me about a girl he knows that refuses to take any phone call unless the person texts first and asks permission to call. I'm not sure where these ideas come from, but it sure makes life harder!

But none of this changes how I feel about that emojie. Maybe it's the culture in my country, here we often use the thumbs up kinda sarcastically (and not just the emojie, but the gesture itself). So maybe that has something to do with here.

LOL! I'd say that has MUCH to do with it. As a girl (looooong before cell phones and emojis), my dad used to use an actual thumbs up to say "Good job!" or "Way to go!" So it was a positive thing for me, and still a happy memory. Perspective is everything, eh?

And it's not just in a dating or social environment. Back when I was still employed, my boss quite passively demanded for all of us to keep communicating via whatsapp (all these started way before the pandemic was even a thing). I hated that, since it's not like the institution had bought me my phone or was paying for my internet service, so how could they dare to demand me to use for work something which was purchased by me for my personal use, and it was never stated on any part of my contract or anything. Anyway, I remember how I often would give my superiors all these long and detailed updates via whatsapp which would take quite a while to type in without any typos or grammatical errors, both at working and leisure hours (since the job demanded for us to be alert at all times), and their usual reply was a simple thumbs up reaction/emojie. I don't care what generation you're from, that behavior definitely is kinda insulting at the least, don't you agree?

Yes, that's just rude and insulting, and comes off as ungrateful and begrudging.... as if even that emoji was too much trouble for them.

I guess it just proves that someone can make anything a bad thing. But I promise, if I ever give you a thumbs up, it will only have good will and the best of intentions behind it.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Who gives a flying # what any self-centred, weak minded, overly-sensitive Gen Z knobhead thinks?
There is enough going on in the world to worry or concern oneself with other than making an issue out of something so trivial and irrelevant.

I'll use whatever I want.

Well of course you'll use whatever you want!

But beyond having a laugh, and being that much more informed about the people around us, it's not worth our worry or concern either. They can think what they want and we can do what we want. That's just life!

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Old folks get their knickers in such a twist over non-issues some young people talk about.

Ah yes, old folk gather round and talk down to them and then get outraged when young people don't respect you.

I'm sure you don't care of course. Just enough to get offended mad.

It's funny seeing Gen Xrs think they're cool and important, but they're just angsty living in the shadows of their parents. And gonnaa be a blip on the radar now that Millennials are taking over.

Unless you're a Millennial who for whatever reason bought into the whole Millennials are ruining everything because you were an angsty little # too and got made fun of in your peer group.

Yall are turning into your boomer ass parents lmao.

Unless you are a boomer, then how you behave is really no surprise.
edit on 19-10-2022 by AutomateThis1v2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 10:22 PM
link   
One day the Earth wont exist and nobody will even remember what a human is.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join