It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery prices are getting scary

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Had a package of sarah lee white bread up on our fridge, it got lost in the stack of stuff, a year later when we moved it was still there, UNMOLDED

Yeah ive learned to make my own now

A while back my kid had a pb&j sandwich hidden for a couple months……no mold! Very scary

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Went grocery shopping today.

The box of Mac and Cheese, the kind with the sauce in the pouch, not the powered was
$3.50 a box. Never in my entire life have I’ve seen the price over 2 bucks a box.
Yes I know it is junk food, but I’m just trying to show how much food inflation is right now.
In the entire store, which is very very large there was only ONE whole chicken.

Many many items had limits in the store too. We did not have it this bad even at the beginning of Covid.

For those in the know, Is this a worker issue, supply chain, both, something worse?
Also do you see it as temporary or something long term.
I have a gut feeling prices are only rising.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Went grocery shopping today.

The box of Mac and Cheese, the kind with the sauce in the pouch, not the powered was
$3.50 a box. Never in my entire life have I’ve seen the price over 2 bucks a box.
Yes I know it is junk food, but I’m just trying to show how much food inflation is right now.
In the entire store, which is very very large there was only ONE whole chicken.

Many many items had limits in the store too. We did not have it this bad even at the beginning of Covid.

For those in the know, Is this a worker issue, supply chain, both, something worse?
Also do you see it as temporary or something long term.
I have a gut feeling prices are only rising.

All the stores here have scanty numbers on the shelves for many items. The local Publix had put a 10 can limit on the cat food. I grab 10 cans when I go in just to avoid running out. Well today, there were none on the shelf. They had an apology sign with no known date for when they are expected in. I have maybe a three week supply of the canned, but plenty of the dry. Enoch will have hurt feelings. Sylvester won't care. He only licks off the gravy and leaves the rest for Enoch. Sylvester prefers the dry. They are both over 15 pounds, so they won't starve.

Prices on everything has gone up. I feel the water has long gone past tepid. Very few have left the kettle. I am dreading the day when I heard the dreaded words, "It is soup!"

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Husband went shopping on Friday.

Now it's important to note that there were two forces at work: we were expecting a winter storm overnight into Saturday, and there is a play-off game tonight. So the shopping was early and abnormally heavy. He likened it a bit to holiday shopping.

FRENCH TOAST ALERT basically.

But, we are having chili this week. We usually get a pound of 97/3 lean ground beef which is never exactly cheap, but I am not overly fond of beef fat. We cut that with a pound of ground pork. I do like pork fat. He could not find any ground pork. It was sold out. And the 97 lean was expensive enough that he went ahead and bought a pound of ground lamb to go with our ground beef. So our chili fat is lamb fat this week. He said that by the time he looked at it, the lamb and beef were pretty much the same price, so if he was getting one, he might as well get the other.

So the lamb hasn't really changed in price where the beef has and the pork is likely being bought up to replace the ground beef in lots of recipes is our guess. It is probably the cheapest ground meat left.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It’s pretty much jacking up the price of gas without setting off the gouging alarms. Because what are you going to do?, ride your bicycle to work 30 miles away? No your going to pay that price because you don’t have any other option. Just like food. Going to starve?, eat once a day or pay the price while you still have the funds. It ain’t going to get easier anytime soon, something is going to give, I don’t know what but my feeling is it’s not going to be fun.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's going to get monumentally worse here, now that Trudope has nixxed many truckers from entering.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
It’s pretty much jacking up the price of gas without setting off the gouging alarms. Because what are you going to do?, ride your bicycle to work 30 miles away? No your going to pay that price because you don’t have any other option. Just like food. Going to starve?, eat once a day or pay the price while you still have the funds. It ain’t going to get easier anytime soon, something is going to give, I don’t know what but my feeling is it’s not going to be fun.

Have you noticed everything tastes different too?

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Anyone else in the W MI area starting to see very low stock on beans in the stores? I store-hopped 3 different places looking for black beans - dry or canned - couldn't find any damn black beans.
Most other bean varieties were either low stock, or out of stock. Hm, maybe the run on vegetarian/vegan staples is starting sooner than I gave it credit for as a possibility.

Popped into Dollar General for something else entirely & found them there, but little stock. At least we have more black beans now, we do basic burritos with them, among other yums.

Price was up a bit, but i can't recall offhand exactly by how much, already junked the receipt. Even hubs noted the price went up, so it wasn't just me being pessimistic, hah.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I used to go along on the shopping trip with calculator to keep our trips reigned in, but I stopped doing that with COVID.

Our weekly bill has gone up from about $150 to between $175/$200, but that could be a combined effect of inflation and a tween boy who's getting into "those" years where they tend to eat everything not nailed down.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I thought it was just me but yes, I have noticed things are tasting very different. I usually use Prego sauce, it's just too hard to make my own sauce during the week - been buying it for decades. It's like half water now.

I bought some canned chicken for my cat (people food - not cat food) and it was pink like it was half raw. Even my holiday turkey had this weird black ring around the cavity which the customer service rep said was perfectly safe to eat. There's been a lot of examples like that. I assume it might be due to labor shortages in processing - maybe people aren't as careful.

As a side note, if anyone is looking for good ground beef, try Aldi's grass feed beef. It's around $5 a pound which isn't too bad.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I see us being persuaded into doing grocery shopping from home and delivery made,,,(like WMT has in operation with the neighborhood grocery system)
edit on th31164239339816232022 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Was listening to the radio the other day and the number was thrown out that if inflation stays right where its at (fat chance) the average homeowner is looking at 5k in losses over the next year due to inflation.
edit on 16-1-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 11:40 PM
link   
6-7 years ago, my grocery bill were 40-50, now 70-80$.

I always saying to myself, I thank God I don't live in third world

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 12:03 AM
link   

check the label. it could be something like they have changed in the ingredients. maybe even getting away from that corn crap (we can only hope, but not likely), or cutting down on it and or sugars. when they started using that corn crap instead of real, healthier sugar in the US the taste difference was rather obvious, if you were not there when they gradually started to replace real sugar with that corn crap. done gradually to help stop people from noticing the difference in taste as by putting in less sugar and more corn crap, gradually changing over till sugar was completely replaced, most would not notice the difference as they become accustomed to the new taste without realizing it. that is when i started to bring in over a dozen 2 l bottles of coke from Canada whenever i crossed. since at that time they still used real sugar, although they started to gradually change it over in Canada too several years back. and that is when most US Candy and things like those hostess pies started to taste like crap, all because of the corn crap.

it's like beef and other meat. depending on what it is fed, especially a day or so before killing, it changes the taste. like corn fed vs grass fed beef. i strongly prefer corn fed, as that is what i was brought up on, and don't really like the taste of grass fed beef. ever had a turkey or chicken with a fishy flavor?i have and no doubt it is from feeding them with feed containing fish. one thing i found out is that people who raise their own chickens (in the Philippines), will lock them in a cage and only feed them water for a couple days before they kill them to stop the feed from causing much taste issues. something they have apparently done for centuries.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack
6-7 years ago, my grocery bill were 40-50, now 70-80$.

I always saying to myself, I thank God I don't live in third world

prices for food are doing the same in third world countries. people i know in Africa have commented on it. and it has been a major issue in the Philippines. with it being an almost daily news story, how much the price of food has gone up the last day or two. especially "fresh", meat and vegetables. and at the same time processed foods that are imported from places like the US, the prices haven't really changed in years. just the other day a friend posted from where the typhoon hit. for the price they would normally get food for a day for, they were able to afford one clove of garlic and three onions (which are normally just a bit bigger than a golf ball here, like most of what i, as a north American would consider "normal veggies", like cabbage, and lettuce which are normally only softball sized, with heads of cauliflower and broccoli being about the same size, tomatoes and potatoes a bit bigger than a golf ball (and sold in bags of tree or four at the grocery store, no five or ten pound bags), and if you think you have found a green onion approaching the size you find in the US, it's leek).

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:28 AM
link   

You just reminded me of something, sorry a little off topic.
When I was in 1st grade we ate lunch at our desks. I would tear off the crusts of my sandwiches and put them in my desk to eat later. Apparently, I've been a prepper all my life!
Well my teacher took my crusts out of my desk when I wasn't there. She then told me I didn't have to hide the crusts, that if I didn't want to eat them, it was ok to just throw them away, that I wouldn't be in trouble. I was embarassed to tell her that I was saving them for when I wanted them another time. I had a good pile of them too. They didn't mold, they just got dry and crunchy.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

My morning coffee from the coffee stop has been getting more watery. We are trending more Starbucks.

Black Dog continues to be primo, but you definitely pay for it.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

I see us being persuaded into doing grocery shopping from home and delivery made,,,(like WMT has in operation with the neighborhood grocery system)

Not gonna happen willingly. I like to pick my own produce (well my husband does).

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   

No not really, but my normal go to coffee tastes bitter, they must have changed to a cheaper bean. Ohh had a RC cola (hadn’t had one in ages) a month or so back, had a strange sour aftertaste, not like I ever remember.
edit on 17-1-2022 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Southwest MI here. The wifes store has buy 2 get 3 free on a lot of stuff this week so the place is crazy busy. Hardings in west MI lots of stuff not in their ads. They are pretty well ready and stocked. Local Meijer is having problems they say.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join