It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery prices are getting scary

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Sugar is bad but I still think its better than all of the artificial sweeteners. I think this is a huge portion of food that has really poisoned us all. Its better to eat natural than fake any day in my opinion. The real sugar KoolAid was waaay better same with Lemonade

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 02:44 PM
link   
no reason why a person can't keep a few bags of rice, noodles, flour stashed away
they're pretty cheap and keep for months
they can be used as foundations for whatever meat and veggies one can obtain.

rice and beans are about as cheap as food gets. if they get 'pricey' we are in trouble.

consider buying a chest freezer. buy stuff like leg quarters when they go on sale.

I concede these things are short term. where will we be a year or two?

at least we seem to have adequate supplies of everything, even if they cost more.
I fear we'll wake up one morning and the food literally won't be available.
that's when things will get REALLY bad.

don't know how true it is but I'm told a lot of the younger ones can't cook and noodles and rice are of no use to them. Applebee's or starve.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog

Sugar is bad but I still think its better than all of the artificial sweeteners. I think this is a huge portion of food that has really poisoned us all. Its better to eat natural than fake any day in my opinion. The real sugar KoolAid was waaay better same with Lemonade

I would agree with that, also, the form of sugar has some bearing too, corn syrup is a less desirable form of sugar, than cane sugar.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It’s the chemicals that scare me, the wife picked up some low carb “healthy” bread awhile ago.
Tasted ok, but we forgot to finish it due to the holidays.

It’s going on 3 weeks now and it never dried out or got moldy. Still looks and tastes just like it did on day one. That scares me, what do all those preservatives do to your body? I’d never touch that stuff again. Where does all the cancer spring from these days. Food for thought!

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Happening here in the UK as well, blaming it on Brexit but vegetables that are grown in the UK have shot up to ridiculous prices over the last few months

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog

Monk fruit! give it a shot , we love it and it measures the same!

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Honestly if it goes that direction and looks like its goign to stay there, im moving up to Alaska with my family and homesteading, plenty to eat up there and enough land to be away from EVERYONE.

Ive done bushcraft my whole life and my girl is a wizard at setting up greenhouses and aquaponics (raise fish and veggies at the same time)

EVERYONE should have spent the last few years learning these skills....

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft
It’s the chemicals that scare me, the wife picked up some low carb “healthy” bread awhile ago.
Tasted ok, but we forgot to finish it due to the holidays.

It’s going on 3 weeks now and it never dried out or got moldy. Still looks and tastes just like it did on day one. That scares me, what do all those preservatives do to your body? I’d never touch that stuff again. Where does all the cancer spring from these days. Food for thought!

I do not eat bread from the store shelves. A couple years ago, we had family visiting, they bought a loaf of that bread that is appropriately named, because it is truly a wonder.

I put it on top of the refrigerator, and forgot about it.
A week or two later I took it down, it looked like the day it was bought. I decided to see how long it would take to mold.

I threw it away about six months later, because it was starting to scare me. I kept thinking it was trying to develop a soul.

That stuff is evil. Don't let in in your house, and definitely don't let it in your body.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Had a package of sarah lee white bread up on our fridge, it got lost in the stack of stuff, a year later when we moved it was still there, UNMOLDED

Yeah ive learned to make my own now

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: Topcraft
a reply to: Daughter2

I believe you can thank Kool-Aid for that.

Then again you may be too young to even know know what it is.

kool aid is seriously loaded with sugar. what is is a whole cup, per packet for the old style. but even the premix takes a heck of a lot of mix, ie sugar to make. now compare the kool aid mix, plus a cup of sugar to Philippines tang, which comes in about the same sized packet. and while the tang packet does have maybe double the powder of the kool aid packet, it contains ALL the sugar needed for it. kinda funny a friend had sent me some koolaid packets. my friend who had a young niece visiting while i was away, decided to try some of the koolaid they had heard about. and found it rather nasty and bitter, and wondered how i could stand it. they had made a mistake, and not read the directions. they saw it made 2 liters, and so just like every other juice mix they had ever used, dumped the packet in 2l of water, no sugar. gave me a good laugh.

now you will notice i specifically said Philippines Tang. that is because there is a big difference (including taste) between tang from the US and tang from the Philippines. in fact because a friend had sent me some US tang mix, i noticed there was a fair sized difference between the two. where the US orange tang used a LOT more mix to make, then the Philippines tang i had been buying in a big package. two or three decent sized scoops of mix, compared to two or three spoons of it. then i noticed something else odd. they had run out of the big packages of orange tang at the store, and so i bought some packets of it instead. and noticed that the packets contained far less mix, then the bigger package required to make the same amount. same flavor, same brand name, but between three different packagings, from 2 different countries, there was a huge difference between the amount of mix, ie sugar, needing to be used. with the mix from the US having a lot more.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I put it on top of the refrigerator, and forgot about it.
A week or two later I took it down, it looked like the day it was bought. I decided to see how long it would take to mold.

I threw it away about six months later, because it was starting to scare me. I kept thinking it was trying to develop a soul.

The last sentence killed me..lol it is kinda scary though.

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
You say that til you can have a 12oz grass fed steak and lobster dinner in the Philippines for 2$..

Our food prices are insane compared to most places that isn't considered a "rich nation". Rich nations pay rich prices for the same things you get pennies elsewhere.. that's 100% truth.

I am friends with a restaurant owner in the Philippines and she WISHES she can charge a % of America. Prices.. but if she did she would lose her restaurant.

As a gourmet chef and business owner. We actually compared prices to meals that you can find here from places like olive garden, even denneys.

Her most expensive meal on her menu is 3$. So yeah, food prices are crazy here.. but if you spend the same amount elsewhere you would be set for an entire month for 80$.. and trust me they do shipping and transport too.. some even do imports.

Even china imports a huge % of our meats and charges next to nothing in comparison to anything we have here.

So if you wanna compare housing costs to that in the Philippines. You can rent your own 3bdrm house for about 2-300$, buy one for 20-30g(equiv to a 100k house here).

If you want someone to blame, blame the government. Who is to busy taxing Americans out the ass and giving it to other countries. The fact we pay for the entire world to benefit off of us. We pay their healthcare, food, housing in some countries and more.

For crying out loud, we pay for INDIA GENDER STUDIES, China abortions at 2k per abortion. This is the reason why Americans struggle, because each American family supports and pays for 12 other families+ in other countries. 100% Fact

It's not just Americans, Europeans do as well. It's pretty sickening that they increase tax rates on Americans while giving free handouts in the billions to illegals, and literally paying for the livelihood of other people.

It's different to donate, to provide aid and donations. But not at the expense of your own countrymen. Other nations know we do this, but they benefit so naturally it's not as well known. But yep, in that regard we are laughed at. Because they see we have more money.. but often don't understand that we pay for them to have the prices they do.

Makes you wonder how they got away with it when they dumped millions of gallons of milk into the sewers and burned crops.. all while importing food from out of state to force farmers to destroy crops.
edit on 5-1-2022 by BlackArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackArrow

You say that til you can have a 12oz grass fed steak and lobster dinner in the Philippines for 2$..

mind telling me where? for that price i would have hundreds of my friends lined up to get it. and that would be just on top of the thousands already lined up for such a price. seriously that would be P102 (presuming you are talking US dollars). and i don't think i have EVER seen such a low price for a steak dinner (even the rather tough local beef), forget about a 12 oz, AND lobster. heck you can't even get a Mcdonalds meal for that. with a small size big mac combo, (which is smaller drink and fries than in the US), costs P173. you could get a small cheeseburger meal at mcdonalds for P100 ($2US).

for steak i'm used to seeing over P1,000 (for maybe a 6-8oz, which would be about $20US), and up, no seafood. by the way, thanks for the big laugh your LIES caused at the supper table just a few minutes ago when i mentioned your fictitious $2 12oz steak and lobster dinner.

seriously you should not speak about things you know absolutely nothing at all about, and spreading lies. it is pathetic to so broadly show your complete ignorance on a site dedicated to Deny Ignorance

Our food prices are insane compared to most places that isn't considered a "rich nation". Rich nations pay rich prices for the same things you get pennies elsewhere.. that's 100% truth.

nothing like a good old false equivalency. comparing the cost of things in a "rich nation", compared to "poorer nations", where not only are many prices far lower, but so is what people earn. the exact type of thinking that causes so many people to try to get to those rich nations by any means necessary, because they "know", even the lowest paid worker in said "rich country" is "rich", and can buy everything they want, and can even afford to send much of their earnings "home" to provide for their even extended families to live off of on top of that.

there is a huge difference with say a hamburger costing $5, in a country where you earn over $10/HOUR, and a place where you earn perhaps $10/DAY (and by the way that "day", is likely a 10 or 12 hour work day, while working 6 days a week).

I am friends with a restaurant owner in the Philippines and she WISHES she can charge a % of America. Prices.. but if she did she would lose her restaurant.
As a gourmet chef and business owner. We actually compared prices to meals that you can find here from places like olive garden, even denneys.
Her most expensive meal on her menu is 3$. So yeah, food prices are crazy here.. but if you spend the same amount elsewhere you would be set for an entire month for 80$.. and trust me they do shipping and transport too.. some even do imports.

have to call you out on another LIE, and steaming pile of BS.

if you do indeed actually have a friend who is a "gourmet chef and business owner", they certainly are not running anything near to a gourmet restaurant, if their "most expensive meal on their menu is 3$". for those prices, it would most likely be a "sari sari" restaurant, or to translate, an extremely small, perhaps one or two table stand in the front of their house. and far from serving "gourmet food", it would be more along the line of cheap, fast food, or food that sits around for hours waiting to be served. in shot a tiny, poor, one person business. since even a burger joint like Mcdonalds or jollybee has menu items more expensive than that.

So if you wanna compare housing costs to that in the Philippines. You can rent your own 3bdrm house for about 2-300$, buy one for 20-30g(equiv to a 100k house here).

well at least you are partially right for once. you can rent a small 3bdr house for that much, just expect it to be extremely small. we pay about $500/month for a decent sized three bedroom house (and it is apparently a spectacular deal. gained in part because it is so expensive for most people to rent. in fact it had been used as a warehouse before us, because it was so expensive). and friends did buy a new house a few years back for about $30,000. a very tiny house, with perhaps a 10 foot X 15 foot dining/living room. and with two bedrooms about 5 foot wide and 7 1/2 feet long (couldn't even use standard beds in them, had to be made to fit). with a small, open, outside "kitchen" counter/sink. and a bathroom, big enough to hold a toilet, and shower head you had to go outside though the outside kitchen area to get to (but then again, at least it has a private and indoor toilet/shower, and not just a shared pretty much outhouse like many have).

If you want someone to blame, blame the government. Who is to busy taxing Americans out the ass and giving it to other countries. The fact we pay for the entire world to benefit off of us. We pay their healthcare, food, housing in some countries and more.

again so clueless. that is all about taxes and has pretty much nothing to do with the cost of things. the reason things cost so much, is because people also get paid so much. typically because the more money people get paid, the more it costs to make/grow/build things, because of how much people get paid to actually do all the work involved. it's a rather circular thing.the more people get paid, the more things cost. while the less people get paid, the less things cost. in simplistic terms. and yet that is not all of it either. prices also are charged based on what people can afford to pay, on top of the costs associated with how much people earn.

now if you wand an actual real example, instead of all the BS you are spewing, for what you are i believe trying to say. a few years back after seeing some vehicle prices in a mall (yes in the Philippines dealerships often have sales booths in malls, with cars and sales people in them), and just doing a quicki exchange rate calculation, it appeared that these brand new vehicles were rather cheaper than in North America. strange, since they were North American, Ford SUV's built in either Ontario, or Detroit. so i did some price checking. turns out i was correct. these Ford SUV's were being sold in the Philippines, by almost $10,000 cheaper, or about 3/4 of the price they cost in Ontario or Detroit (where they are built). and just think of how expensive it must be to quite literally ship those vehicles halfway around the world. so yes. we are in fact getting ripped off in North America on prices of things. but it's not about taxes, or government at all. it's the fact that people are willing to pay so high a price for them. and so is a completely different issue than tax money being given to other countries by the billions.

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   
pardon a Public Service Announcement

15 Foods That NEVER Expire! Stockpile Basics To Be Ready

edit on 152022 by MetalThunder because: carpe diem

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackArrow

Makes you wonder how they got away with it when they dumped millions of gallons of milk into the sewers and burned crops.. all while importing food from out of state to force farmers to destroy crops.

why do you use the pas tense? it's still going on, as it has been for many decades? i had relatives who had a dairy farm, and were forced to dump all excess (over quota), milk down the sewer, until they stopped farming. just as it is the quota system that also makes them burn or plow under crops over their quota. it is the quota system,which is more due to the different food sales boards and food companies, than from government. done to keep food prices "stable" (ie high, for profits), by ensuring no excess to drive prices down.

although it is the government that has been paying farmers not to farm at all for many decades, to also keep prices high. one relative even had forests growing in his fields, with decent sized trees, back years ago from being paid not to farm for so long.

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 07:48 AM
link   
A food scare would be a good thing for this country. People out there eating drive thru, takeout, friggin Starbucks every day. Meanwhile they don't have 1 days worth of food in their house. They need a wake up call before a real food scarcity hits. I keep a months worth of food, but if all my neighbors don't have a month worth of food then it'll be fight time when the SHTF and they are starving.

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
A food scare would be a good thing for this country. People out there eating drive thru, takeout, friggin Starbucks every day. Meanwhile they don't have 1 days worth of food in their house. They need a wake up call before a real food scarcity hits. I keep a months worth of food, but if all my neighbors don't have a month worth of food then it'll be fight time when the SHTF and they are starving.

i would have thought the "food scares" at the beginning of,and during the first year or so of the pandemic, due to lockdowns would have done that. seriously if that didn't teach them, nothing will, until it is too late to learn.

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

i would have thought the "food scares" at the beginning of,and during the first year or so of the pandemic, due to lockdowns would have done that. seriously if that didn't teach them, nothing will, until it is too late to learn.

You can bring a horse to water...

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Local butcher shops and small independent grocers that get their meat from local meat producers have substantially lower prices than the big chains. Ther eis no meat shortage. Its price gouging.

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Grocery prices are increasing at an alarming rate. So....I watch for the sales and buy in bulk at sale prices. Remember those coupon shows....I'd like to have their talent!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join