It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery prices are getting scary

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm Rural also pretty much any kind of wild meat.
I like a little spice added every so often but in my later years
Acid Reflux is a problem so i had to cut back on Spicy food.
2 Lakes very close to me so fish is no problem.
a reply to: LSU2018

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949
a reply to: CptGreenTea

Lots of people are triggered by the suggestion to eat a vegan meal once in a while.

Yea i don't quite understand it. Animals are poorly treated and vegan meals are known to be good for heart disease.

Like others have said, we eat too much meat and diary as it is.

I know some do oddly well on a carnivore diet, but in general, high consumption of meat and diary have shown to be negative for long term health.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've noticed the prices going up, most dramatically for beef. I know there's probably going to be supply chain issues, and a large chunk of our agricultural area was flooded badly. It's been snowing here lately, but I've been thinking it would be a good idea to get gardening once things warm up.

Rabbits, fishing and hunting have come up. A while back a Miss Wildcraft, a guest on Coast To Coast had suggested quails may be an option for some. I liked the idea because chickens may be more challenging depending on where you live.

I wonder how long the trend will continue? I figure even as the logistical side of the supply chain resumes functioning better, inflation is going to chip away at the gains. These times have often reminded me of a less is more approach.

edit on 3-1-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: added reference

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Perhaps its a matter of genetics? Some of us have more hunter genes than settled farming genes.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I wanted to make a nice meal for New Year's Eve. I thought I would buy some Alaskan King Crab. I almost had to rush to the depends aisle when I saw how much a pound of crab cost. In January 2020 it was $19 a pound, it is now $64 a pound at the same grocery store. We went out instead.

I don't know how some are managing. Grocery prices here are up around 30%.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm Yes sir they are. Went yesterday and things are up from just last week.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: KMeRMoRe

I don’t think being vegan in a big city will be easy in a crisis. Most buy there vegetables from stores, or if you’re lucky from a central farmer’s market. Those are the first place’s that will suffer. Then you will be down to frozen foods till they dry up.

I read somewhere that if the trucking stops, a major city only has only a day or two till the shelf’s are empty. There is no reserve. That’s scary. What happens when a million people in one area run out of food?

I hope this never happens, the carnage would be awful.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I do most of our grocery shopping and have for at least the last two years. The prices are up in almost all products from what I am seeing in some cases just a few cents while others several dollars. I shop mainly at Aldi and a smaller grocery store.

While things at Aldi have not seen much of a price hike I have noticed they have had poor stock levels on some things such as shredded hashbrowns (out for at least a month), eggs, milk etc. The other store I go to (less than half a mile away) has had a few stocking issues mainly for cereals, canned soups, and some prepackaged items, which I fortunately don't buy but it is hard to ignore empty shelves.

The main price increase I have seen is for beef, bacon which has been several dollars per pound and now dairy products are starting to creep up as well as some of the bakery items such as bread , buns, rolls. I have not noticed a difference in chicken or pork but have noticed chicken stock is hit or miss some weeks. Staffing has been normal throughout the pandemic so that hasn't been an issue.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Prices up.
Choices down.😞

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   
if grocery prices are going up,
then housing prices will go down

if grocery prices continue to go up,
then used car prices will come down.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I think you'll find as the pandemic winds down, as its bound to do like every other plague of the past, that the supplies will balance out again and prices will come back down.
I don't think this is permanent. Though I expect a raise in social security due to it.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I've been seeing holes here and there for the past month.
Not gaping holes but like no gallon bottles of milk one day. Only quarts or only skim.
No oyster sauce in the Asian aisle another day.
German brand bologna was out at Food Lion for two weeks last month!

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: KMeRMoRe
a reply to: tanstaafl

I wanted to make a nice meal for New Year's Eve. I thought I would buy some Alaskan King Crab. I almost had to rush to the depends aisle when I saw how much a pound of crab cost.

Good thing you didn't - depends are up 150%...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I don't know how some are managing. Grocery prices here are up around 30%.

Prices are up here (North Atlanta GA), but not that much. Probably won't be long though.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft
a reply to: KMeRMoRe

I don’t think being vegan in a big city will be easy in a crisis. Most buy there vegetables from stores, or if you’re lucky from a central farmer’s market. Those are the first place’s that will suffer. Then you will be down to frozen foods till they dry up.

Good thing I don't eat plant foods...

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CptGreenTea

originally posted by: joejack1949

Lots of people are triggered by the suggestion to eat a vegan meal once in a while.

Yea i don't quite understand it. Animals are poorly treated and vegan meals are known to be good for heart disease.

Like others have said, we eat too much meat and diary as it is.

I know some do oddly well on a carnivore diet, but in general, high consumption of meat and diary have shown to be negative for long term health.

health.clevelandclinic.org...

Authors of these new reports say that evidence linking red meat to heart disease (and cancer and other diseases) is relatively weak. They say the data isn’t strong enough to make dietary recommendations.

I think a lot of what we’ve been “educated” on with diet has been lies or half truths.

My husband and I were just talking about this exact subject. Growing up there was maybe, maybe one obese kid in the entire school. In our parents youth, it was even more rare. They all ate full fat meals.
My husband was quick to point out that manual labor was much worse then. I pointed out that not everyone did manual labor, there were still office workers and such. They were all rail thin.

What did they eat? Bacon, eggs, lard, pork, chicken.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I wish I had a time machine to go back and stay permanently in the early 80's. I remember my first job working as a gas attendant and I had to have a work permit as I was under age. I remember having wads of cash more than I knew what to do with even working a minimum wage that was something like 3 dollars an hour. Gas prices then was like around 90 cents a gallon. I remember when tensions starting to heat up in the Mid-East around 89-91 and caused the prices to literally jump 10 cents and people was furious and gone ape$hit. I remember us kids could afford to fill the tank up with 5 bucks and drive 30-50 miles for a day trip to have fun at the coast or, go up in the mountains at our favorite swimming holes. Not anymore. Those days are long gone. Makes me sad that the next generation of kids can never experience that freedom. I remember going out on charter boats and fishing, going on camp trips, boy-scout trips, horse ranches.

Chartering a boat today cost like $250 a person 2 person minimum $500 bucks total if you catch a large halibut. To afford to go more often than not it takes a crew of guys from your work to pitch in. Kind of like a company cookout. That's a huge expenditure, but still worth it to get out and experience real living. Afterward you get to cook and eat the fish you caught. Black sea bass. That right there is some good eating. Fillets as thick as your hand. Yum.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 04:59 PM
link   

In CO too. We spent over $90 for two medium bags of things. Most pricey was actually veggies.
We don't eat iceberg lettuce but we sometimes mistakenly hit the button for it instead of the normal lettuce and i saw it went from like .50 to .75 cents to like 1.75 the last 2 years.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sean

When I was in high school, I had an old beater 67 Mercedes 200d, I could fill up from almost empty on a $10 bill. Diesel in the 90’s was cheaper than the cheap gasoline. I could drive to school, to my part time work and then home everyday for almost two weeks before the next gas stop. It was like 40 MPG or something.
edit on 3-1-2022 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Let's hope posts about inflation on ATS are an indicator the top is in...

In any case, it's probably popular to blame the Federal Reserve on ATS. Their quantitative easing policy has been pro inflammatory. They should really unwind their balance sheet... unless they want to get blamed for the next Weimar meltdown...

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 06:55 PM
link   
One way around this is learning to bake, home made bread is the best also fairly nutritious. Growing veggies in pots if you have no space is another. The one trouble ive had with it is meat iron from vegetables is no where as good. The money saved from baking and growing however could be put on meat atleast one meal a week.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join