It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon removes reading writing and math requirements for high schools to help blacks graduate

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

This is so wrong!! They are blantantly stating that they think any kid who is not white is stupid! this blows my mind and yet Liberal women and men keep voting for these idiots!! Doesn't anyone see who is holding back these people, it's not white people, it's democratic leaders!!! For # sake it's right in front of everyone's face!! UGH!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Welcome to the first days of Idiocracy.

Humanity is screwed. I'm going to go live with the penguins in Antarctica.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

If a school district is going to graduate you, without you needing to pass certain subjects

So, you haven't read the bill. Even if your supposition were true, which it isn't, how does that affect the quality of educational opportunities for "minorities like you"?

The bill stipulates that all students had to have acquired the required credits, as well as completed and passed all required classes to recieve a diploma. This bill only temporarily effects Board of Education standardized exit tests.
olis.oregonlegislature.gov...

edit on 11-8-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

So many people in this thread are outraged over something they haven't read and don't understand. Ironic.

All of the credit requirements are the same, people!

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

# the Democrats!! Excuse my language but this pisses me off to no end, reading is massively important for all people, and saying that it is not required is such a disgrace, I have been reading since the age of 3 years old, I adore reading!! I make sure my kids know how to read, and understand what they are reading. I see a lot of jobs out there stating that you need to read, and understand basic instructions in order to get that certain job! No one is gonna hold your hand and help you fill out a job application, you have to kniow what you're filling out!! Basic Math is defintiely important, addition and subtraction is important!! How would you know if your employer isn't giving you the amount of money that you derserve if you don't know basic math, seriously. how can you give out change correctly if you don't know how to add or subtract?? there is no hope, and all because they have the white knight mentality. Assholes!!

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: detroitnative

I'm laughing so hard I can't breave!

U spelt itz rong! Itz spelt "breev". Sheet!

Ain't cha bin tadat skule ad'allz???

U noe..Hoo ked on pa honics wur ked reel guud fer meh! U shood trize itz.

edit on 8/11/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

If a school district is going to graduate you, without you needing to pass certain subjects

So, you haven't read the bill. Even if your supposition were true, which it isn't, how does that affect the quality of educational opportunities for "minorities like you"?

The bill stipulates that all students had to have acquired the required credits, as well as completed and passed all required classes to recieve a diploma. This bill only temporarily effects Board of Education standardized exit tests.

My reply was about your dismissal of minorities and thier need for advanced mathmatics and classical literature. I myself dont have an issue with standardized tests, it keeps states from falling behind other states.

In a society where people move and travel and work remotely as we do now, a homogenous level of education is more beneficial. For example, Texas teaches biology courses in 9th grade that Missouri doesnt teach till 11th. Guess which student is further along?

Thats ignoring the fact that removing a requirement because one thinks a certain race incapable of surmounting it due to thier race... is racist. Like what you stated.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Reading the bill online doesn't seem to match up with all the news articles, but the articles sure make it sound really racist.

A couple things

There could be controversy with students with disabilities struggling to graduate. I'd imagine it would be a pretty hard life as a mentally disabled person to advance on life after high school if they even graduate.

The last thing is immigrants, refugees, or native students might be highly intelligent in their own language and might struggle with English and that would be unfair to keep them back.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 03:04 PM
link   
LOL...you wrote that so cunningly, the hardcore conservative IDyots didn't realize what you were messaging. Love it. Keep up the great work...I knew there were a LOT of us out there.....a reply to: themessengernevermatters

edit on 8 11 2021 by HiddenIdentity because: She squeezed it, then she pulled it, then she...OHHHHH

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

My reply was about your dismissal of minorities and thier need for advanced mathmatics and classical literature.

I said no such thing. You're the one who said:

So, minorities like me, cant and shouldn't do advanced math or read critical literature?

I asked you to show me, in the bill, where minorities like you wouldn't have the same educational opportunities as anyone else. Can you do that?

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   

the problem is your (or anyones) qualification of "as anyone else".

Equity lowers the bar for everyone, so no one gets opportunity. That is what has happened here: the programs are dumbed down by not requiring demonstration of skill. I am not a fan of standardized testing, so don't get me wrong....it all needs to be scrapped. But that doesn't mean we don't need to ensure display of adequate skills.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They still have to have meet their credits requirements and have to have passed all their required classes to get a diploma. Doesn't that show adequate skills?

ETA:

(2)(a) In order to receive a high school diploma from a school district or public charter school, a student must satisfy the requirements established by the State Board of Education and the school district or public charter school and, while in grades 9 through 12, must complete at least:
(A) Twenty-four total credits;
(B) Three credits of mathematics; and
(C) Four credits of English.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection, the State Board of Education may not require a student who has successfully completed the credit requirements prescribed by paragraph (a) of this subsection or by rule of the board to demonstrate proficiency in any skill or academic content area.

edit on 11-8-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong, there still should be a wide curriculum from which students should be able to thrive, including shop classes, literature, and STEM sciences.

I agree you don't need many courses in math, many students kind of stop at geometry and go into other math that isn't algebra 2 pre cal etc.

I would love to see math classes based on Statistics and Probability without going down the path of Cal. Also Critical thinking, Analysis of facts, with certain levels of rigor and problem-solving abilities taught.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   

They still have to have meet their credits requirements and have to have passed all their required classes to get a diploma. Doesn't that show adequate skills?

ETA:

(2)(a) In order to receive a high school diploma from a school district or public charter school, a student must satisfy the requirements established by the State Board of Education and the school district or public charter school and, while in grades 9 through 12, must complete at least:
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection, the State Board of Education may not require a student who has successfully completed the credit requirements prescribed by paragraph (a) of this subsection or by rule of the board to demonstrate proficiency in any skill or academic content area.

So 3 years of some kind of math and 4 years of English.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I think this has been a long time coming.

Review state requirements related to demonstrations of proficiency in skills or academic content areas that are not related to career and technical education, with an emphasis
on demonstrations of proficiency in Essential Learning Skills

Kids don't need to have read Dostoevsky, and write an essay on social politics to get into trade school.

Basic math skills should get you out of high school, not into engineering. Not everyone is math inclined. Personal injury lawyers don't need to know calculous.

Don't get me wrong, there still should be a wide curriculum from which students should be able to thrive, including shop classes, literature, and STEM sciences.

i was reading books when i was 6.

i was programming when i was 12.

whoever thinks kids entering high school don't need to read and write, is even more retarded than those kids.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

ETA:

So 3 years of some kind of math and 4 years of English.

They didn't change the Board of Education requirements. They just temporarily suspended the need to take a BoE standardized exit tests.

Students still need to take the SATs if they want to go to college.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

whoever thinks kids entering high school don't need to read and write, is even more retarded than those kids.

Good thing that isn't what this bill says, or does.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Have you ever heard of social promotion--I think that's what they call it. No one flunks, because it'd be bad for their self-esteem.

That is, apparently, a thing. Kind of puts paid to the notion of...

Why should a student do the work, if the teachers aren't allowed to flunk 'em, if they've earned it?

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Why should a student do the work, if the teachers aren't allowed to flunk 'em, if they've earned it?

Can you show us in the bill where it says that teachers can't grade students as usual, assigning grades A though F?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but It's my understanding of the bill, that it temporarily suspends the ability of the Board of Education to deny diplomas to qualifying kids that have completed their credits and have already passed their classes, until 2023.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Students still need to take the SATs if they want to go to college.

Actually my son's college waved SATs, went with GPA and classes he took.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join