It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon removes reading writing and math requirements for high schools to help blacks graduate

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Oh, yay. Another step backwards for my home state.

I thought all the Californians flooding the place was bad enough...

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'd like to add another angle to the conversation.

These school boards are sometimes put in a tough situation. They have to meet certain educational standards or they lose government funding. Sometimes, when they are faced with losing the funding, they change the rules so that the educational measuring tools applied to them show a steady, if not increased, level of academic achievement. They've got to find a way to get the grades up, or the government will take their money away. It can be a Catch-22 situation at times.

I bring this up to show that this really may not be motivated by any racial bias or animosity. It could be money.

Unfortunately, it is a terrible idea. Instead of lifting these students out of a culture that does not value education or authority, they cater to the culture. It's like letting a three year old choose what's for dinner.

For me, the best solution is a dual HS system that incorporates individual schools dedicated to either the trades or traditional academics.

edit on 10-8-2021 by Dapaga because: extra words taken out

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Hot damn. Equity, finally. Now you don't have to clear hurdles in life....hurdles now have to clear you.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Did she pay each Black resident the promised $25,000 yet?

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Here's the thing- If people are educated and can think for themselves, they can call the elites on their BS because they aren't the smartest in the room, but ensure an ignorant populace like this, and even the thinkers won't know when they're being BSed with any certainty, only suspect they are.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Because every high school kid knows what they want to do for a career right? There's no way they could change their mind and then find themselves ill equipped for say an engineering job or even as you say a trade...many of which require math and the ability to read. I mean carpenters use math metal workers use math they guys who hang all the gear for the shows I work who are most certainly riggers by trade use trig daily.

How could this ever go wrong lol...

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The elitism behind this is outrageous. It sabotages the futures of these kids under the guise of 'compassion', which is really an utterly racist perspective that minority kids are dumb. Absolutely everyone should be outraged by this.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

And im sitting here thinking we need to expand education and push students more to keep up with our international "rivals".

Its crazy how far apart people can be in viewpoint.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Right... I think the one poster had it right, they want a return to feudal life where only the nobility and well connected had an education. Its a lot easier to manipulate and control ignorant peasants tan educated citizens

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They will created a United dumbazz college fund to get them a crap degree as well.
edit on 10-8-2021 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Basic math skills should get you out of high school, not into engineering. Not everyone is math inclined. Personal injury lawyers don't need to know calculous.

A country devoid of engineers and full of personal injury lawyers .... sounds like utopia to me

edit on 10-8-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The other thing I got out that article was the term

Latinx

Ay Dios mío.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Do they think only students of color will be neglectful in proficiency because of this change in standards? This is a fail on ALL students. A lowering of the bar....in fact removal of the bar, that will mark Oregon and it's youth for many years to come. This will make it hard for ALL students who will be looking for jobs in the future.

There will be no incentive to achieve academic gold standards. In fact, based on the recent past, those students who excel may be ostracized by the lower achieving students and members of society.

When they say liberal, they really mean having no standards of success or achievement. All must be mediocre and dependent. They don't want winners. They want participants of indistinguishable quality. Numbers on a page.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Because every high school kid knows what they want to do for a career right?

No, they don't. They go off to college, spending a couple years racking up their student debt taking art literature and CRT classes, until they get a job at their brother in law's sofa upholstery business.

edit on 10-8-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Because every high school kid knows what they want to do for a career right?

No, they don't. They go off to college, spending a couple years racking up their student debt taking art literature and CRT classes, until they get a job at their brother in law's sofa upholstery business.

Hahahahaha!!!

About sums it up

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Right... I think the one poster had it right, they want a return to feudal life where only the nobility and well connected had an education. Its a lot easier to manipulate and control ignorant peasants tan educated citizens

They say information is power, but really, the ability to decipher information is power

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Too true, in too many cases!!

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   

On behalf of the state of Oregon to everyone I'd like to formally make a statement;

"we am be rilly sorry know to be shure."

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Of course the poster misses the movement to "deoclonize" math because it's obviously racist since they weren't taught how to do it and don't know how.

The answer isn't that they're ignorant; it's obviously that math must be racist.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

On behalf of the state of Oregon to everyone I'd like to formally make a statement;

"we am be rilly sorry know to be shure."

I think I heard a cheer of glee from Mississippi, Alabama, and the other southern states that people traditionally mock for producing uneducated idiots. They're finally not going to be the worst in the country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join