It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon removes reading writing and math requirements for high schools to help blacks graduate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Oregon Governor Kate Brown quietly signed a bill last month that removed the requirement for graduating high school children in the state to be proficient in reading, writing, and math, in an effort to aid “students of color.”

the governor’s deputy communications director, Charles Boyle, told the Oregonian that suspending the reading, writing, and math proficiency requirements would benefit “students of color”

Boyle said that “leaders from those communities have advocated time and again for equitable graduation standards"

Source

Oregon Democrat Governor Kate Brown has signed a bill into law that removes the requirement to be able to read, write, and do basic math to graduate high school. Her official reasoning was that it will be fair to black students, or "students of color". Apparently her and her administration feel that it isn't fair to expect black students to be able to read and write or do basic math, because it isn't an "equitable graduation standard". In other words, they believe blacks aren't as capable of reading and writing and therefore can't be held to the same standards as whites.

Time has shown us that the liberals and Democrats have a history of this mentality - that blacks need their help because they can't get by on their own. I'm reminded time and time again of the video of the liberal college student trying to explain that requiring voter IDs is racist because black people don't know how to use the internet to figure out how to get IDs.

Here's an open challenge for anyone at all: Defend this without saying something that would have you labelled a racist.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

If one of these winners applies for a role under me good luck if you cants speaks English or do maff.

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   
For a large portion of history, the ability to read and write was reserved for the elite in society; nobility, priests. For a good portion of the history of the US, it was purposely withheld from minorities. As each year passes by, the decisions being made by government and academia, makes it clear the elite want to return to the old world status quo of mentally handicapped slaves.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Letterin and Cypherin is all they need.

Who wouldn't hire Jethro to run the Main Branch?

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I live in Oregon. It looks like I am going to have to make a reading, math, and writing test to give prospective employees.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   

It always works out for parents when they neglect their children's education and just let them do what they want, why not for the nanny state?

Hell, why even have an attendence requirement? Some kids have better places and far more important things to do, like activism.

What an embarrassment.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Welcome to the next generation of illiterates to run the nation, I can no believe this crap is about to happen, this is no for the benefit of students but the benefit of an education system that are incapable of educating anybody at all.

Soo now, in the name of equality if you child can not read or wright is ok, he still will pass the grade and graduate high school, I am sure that it will colleges out there that will teach him something with out the need to read or write.

Good luck with that.

China is most be laughing their harts out, US is becoming stupid

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

So they are flat out stating that they believe minority students are incapable of passing these classes in their current state. What I'm now reading is that they believe there is a fundamental difference in cognitive capabilities between races...which I seem to recall being labelled as something racists think. Nice to know they're out in the open about it now.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

I live in Oregon. It looks like I am going to have to make a reading, math, and writing test to give prospective employees.

That's racist.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I think this has been a long time coming.

Review state requirements related to demonstrations of proficiency in skills or academic content areas that are not related to career and technical education, with an emphasis
on demonstrations of proficiency in Essential Learning Skills

olis.oregonlegislature.gov...

Kids don't need to have read Dostoevsky, and write an essay on social politics to get into trade school.

Basic math skills should get you out of high school, not into engineering. Not everyone is math inclined. Personal injury lawyers don't need to know calculous.

Don't get me wrong, there still should be a wide curriculum from which students should be able to thrive, including shop classes, literature, and STEM sciences.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You have to come to my house and clean my keyboard and screen now. It's covered in coffee.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm not the least bit surprised by this. It's par for the course.
This is a great example of leftist logic, or rather leftist insanity. It's how their thinking has devolved.

Their logic, summed up:
1. I'm thirsty, so I pour myself a glass of water. Water is good, isn't it?
2. But people also drown in water, so how can it be good?
3. Conclusion: Water is evil.

I swear to God that's how they think.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yep ... literacy. So over-rated.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Great, in a few years these students who are being given a pass on the education requirements are going to graduate and find no jobs for them as they are effectively uneducated. The rallying cry will once again be...racism! It will never occur to them that they can't have it both ways. But, as a Caucasian, I am not allowed to say such things because...Critical Race Theory.

Talk about perpetuating the problem. Idiots! The lot of em.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Fare Thee Well, Titanic, Fare Thee Well
edit on 10-8-2021 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yep ... literacy. So over-rated.

From the actual bill:

...with an emphasis on demonstrations of proficiency in Essential Learning Skills

I didn't say "literacy", I said "literature", like requiring the reading of Dostoevsky, Homer, etc.

Look, Republicans have been criticizing "liberal arts" in high schools, and have discouraged the bulk of American high school graduates away from intellectualism and leftist college thinking, and into trade schools.

The 2012 Republican Party Platform states that republicans support getting “back to the basics” of education, and better preparing students to do what it is they are seeking a career in.

www.republicanviews.org...

reason.com...
www.salon.com...

edit on 10-8-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Democrats have to keep the blacks dumb, poor, and dependent on them so they can’t leave the plantation.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: discordantone
Talk about perpetuating the problem. Idiots! The lot of em.

They know exactly what they're doing.
edit on 8/10/2021 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You make a valid point, but the problem is far more serious than people realize. As always, the bureaucrats and politicians say more money will solve the problem. A retired high-school teacher from Indiana made a short but riveting documentary film that I'm sure is on YouTube.

He visited India, and was amazed at how they embrace education, like it's truly a matter of life and death. He was in a rural area where the local school had been destroyed by storms. While a new school was being built, a teacher assembled his class (about 30 kids) under a bridge. The kids were sitting on the ground while the teacher held his class. He had a chalkboard. That's it. He was teaching his class advanced algebra. The kids looked to be about 12 years old.

Then the retired teacher and documentary maker showed a class of inner city Baltimore high-school kids. 12th grade.
They were asked questions like: "What's one-third of 90" or "What's three times 20?"
Most of the kids could not answer correctly. They could not tell you what one-third of 90 was! If a kid was asked to add 20 and 30, and they replied "fifty", they were in the top of the class!

Here's what's really sad:
Baltimore Public Schools has a budget of over 1 billion dollars. But they want more. 18 grand a year spent on every student isn't enough.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Enslavement in disguise. The ability to read, write and at least do simple math is a key ability to learn further. Not for career but making the most out of life in general. This is diabolic but is playing very well into the currently very open two (plus elite) class system sympathy coming from politics worldwide.

originally posted by: tamusan

Just wait until that's racist, too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join