It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon removes reading writing and math requirements for high schools to help blacks graduate

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In Oregon, my son just got a full ride scholarship for the first 60 hours of college credits. He also just got a job today at the college library. 30 hrs, flex time to adjust for his classes.
He's a math major.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Congrats to your son! But it's obvious you'd produce greatness.

Even those other states produce the occasional educated oddball though.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Just a proud papa.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

In Oregon, my son just got a full ride scholarship for the first 60 hours of college credits. He also just got a job today at the college library. 30 hrs, flex time to adjust for his classes.
He's a math major.

Supporting rigorous study and work ethic pays off?

I wish the racist critical race theory and equal outcome people would realize that.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

They do, but they prefer to call it white supremacy instead of what it really is.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: MykeNukem

They do, but they prefer to call it white supremacy instead of what it really is.

My oldest son is a roofer and my youngest is a union carpenter, they both chose that instead of college.

I couldn't be prouder of them. They both have the smarts to change directions wherever they want to go career related, if they so choose.

The foundation is the same, no matter our race.

Good education and work ethic should never be compromised, or it is to the detriment of the one under that system.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Is she calling Black people stupid? How could what she's doing possibly help anybody?

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Letterin and Cypherin is all they need.

Who wouldn't hire Jethro to run the Main Branch?

Long as they know their "guzintas," they should be fine. Well doggies.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Why do people seem to think black people are stupid?
To dumb to get photo ID.
To dumb to do math.
To dumb to get into college.

Too dumb to use the internet, according to President Biden.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'z bee failin' mize reedin' 'n ritin' klasses, but i'z gotz a kweshteeun...

i'z bee wite, so duz dat meen i'z git a pass two? Or iz itz only da peepul dat bee kolored?

edit on 8/11/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 03:19 AM
link   

This will be hilarious...

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There are already plenty of high school students who graduate without being able to read, write or do math. The schools just keep passing them from one grade to the next, not giving a damn whether they've learned anything. And yet we continue to import millions of unskilled workers as automation and robotics threaten to make many jobs obsolete.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I think this has been a long time coming.

Review state requirements related to demonstrations of proficiency in skills or academic content areas that are not related to career and technical education, with an emphasis
on demonstrations of proficiency in Essential Learning Skills

olis.oregonlegislature.gov...

Kids don't need to have read Dostoevsky, and write an essay on social politics to get into trade school.

Basic math skills should get you out of high school, not into engineering. Not everyone is math inclined. Personal injury lawyers don't need to know calculous.

Don't get me wrong, there still should be a wide curriculum from which students should be able to thrive, including shop classes, literature, and STEM sciences.

So, minorities like me, cant and shouldn't do advanced math or read critical literature?

Thanks for such a high opinion of us.....

edit on 11-8-2021 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

Can you please show me in the bill where this legislation would stifle the educational opportunities of "minorities like you"?

edit on 11-8-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If one of these winners applies for a role under me good luck if you cants speaks English or do maff.

You will be sued into oblivion if you don't hire one of these kids to manage your nuclear reactor.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I'z bee failin' mize reedin' 'n ritin' klasses, but i'z gotz a kweshteeun...

i'z bee wite, so duz dat meen i'z git a pass two? Or iz itz only da peepul dat bee kolored?

After reading that, I need to call the Amberlamps, I'm laughing so hard I can't breave!

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Standardized tests are such bulls#it - being able to pass a test doesn't mean you're proficient and failing doesn't mean you're incapable. It looks like the Governor is getting rid of the standardized testing requirement. IMO this is a good decision. Saves money.

These are still requirements for a high school diploma in Oregon:
English (grade 9, 10, 11, 12)
Math (3 credits)
Science (3 credits)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   
One of the #1 causes to stay in the poverty cycle is lack of education.

Graduating high school without basic schools is what that is.

Feel bad for those kids.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

Can you please show me in the bill where this legislation would stifle the educational opportunities of "minorities like you"?

If a school district is going to graduate you, without you needing to pass certain subjects ; Just how much effort do you think will go into teaching those subjects ? So yes, this half ass measure is going to hurt students, not help.

But like you said yourself, we dont need them learnins, cause we aint gonna be doin nun that stuff...

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Oregon is saying you ought to graduate high school without the actual school part.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join