It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon removes reading writing and math requirements for high schools to help blacks graduate

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This is the very definition of racism and the woke liberal idiots in Oregon are to stupid to figure that out. They're only hurting POC by doing this. This country is going full tard.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatmakesyouright
I never took a test to graduate high school, and went on to college. I even graduated Magna cum laude. This is much to do about nothing. It's a test. They still have to have all the necessary credits.

claiming that it's nothing is BS. kids should be REQUIRED to be able to read and write before entering high school. can't do that much, or can't do basic math? go back to elementary school.

american education has set the bar damn low decades ago, and it's still being lowered, and you think it's fine? when i was choosing high school, i had to pass several tests because there were 10 candidates for each free place (best school in town back in the day).

keep dumbing yourself down, america, that's the only thing you're good at. without migrants from all over the world you would be nothing.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
This is the very definition of racism and the woke liberal idiots in Oregon are to stupid to figure that out. They're only hurting POC by doing this. This country is going full tard.

Soft bigotry of lowered expectations falls short of being a textbook definition of racism....but i agree with your spirit.

Its not just POC hurt by this. Its everyone. Those classes, and the content they provide, may not be fully available. In the future, the value of certification by various schools may become suspect, affecting college applications and potential for scholarship. It'll effect all people the same, not just POC. So it doesn't meet the textbook definition of racism. They can smugly say "But no one is having access witheld, they all get the same access". They are right. The bar was lowered.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's like a race to the bottom.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Look at all you "conservatives" advocating for Common Core!

Again, I'd like to emphasize that this "low bar" you're all moaning about is a Republican goal, and has been for some time.

On testing and the Common Core: Republicans “congratulate” states that have “repealed” the academic standards. And on testing, they find some common ground with Democrats: The platform rejects “excessive testing and ‘teaching to the test’ and supports the need for strong assessments to serve as a tool so teachers can tailor teaching to meet student needs.”

www.politico.com...

The 2012 Republican Party Platform states that republicans support getting “back to the basics” of education, and better preparing students to do what it is they are seeking a career in. At this time, 50% of recent college graduates were either unemployed, or working jobs that were not in their field and for which their educations had provided them no training.

www.republicanviews.org...

Trump laid the foundation of his premise in February, when he told Republican lawmakers that the less academically inclined should learn bricklaying or carpentry or other trades.

Trump also called for more investment in workforce development and job training during his State of the Union address in January, which brought about both enthusiasm and concern from educational organizations.

"We call upon Congress to reauthorize the Higher Education Act in this session to recognize the impact that this law has on the developing and expanding workforce, which increasingly requires trained workers to fill the job demand of the 21st century," Career Education Colleges and Universities President and CEO Steve Gunderson said in a statement released after the State of the Union address expressing the organization's excitement toward the president's remarks.

“So we need vocational schools," Trump said Thursday. "Now, they call them, a lot of times, community colleges. I don’t think it’s an accurate definition.”

abcnews.go.com...

www.forbes.com...

edit on 12-8-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

No.

Common Core is where this started. It lowered expectations in many places over what they were.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No.

"No" what? Republicans AREN'T against Common Core?

On testing and the Common Core: Republicans “congratulate” states that have “repealed” the academic standards. And on testing, they find some common ground with Democrats: The platform rejects “excessive testing and ‘teaching to the test’ and supports the need for strong assessments to serve as a tool so teachers can tailor teaching to meet student needs.”

You Republicans should be congratulating Oregon! This bill temporarily "repeals the academic standards" and allows teachers to " tailor teaching to meet student needs", instead of "teaching to test".

This bill aligns with the Republican Platform of 2012 and with President Trump's vision of encouraging those students who are less academically inclined toward trade based careers.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Soft bigotry of lowered expectations falls short of being a textbook definition of racism....but i agree with your spirit.

Its not just POC hurt by this. Its everyone. Those classes, and the content they provide, may not be fully available. In the future, the value of certification by various schools may become suspect, affecting college applications and potential for scholarship. It'll effect all people the same, not just POC. So it doesn't meet the textbook definition of racism. They can smugly say "But no one is having access witheld, they all get the same access". They are right. The bar was lowered.

That's the fundamental difference between failure and success.

If we pursue success, we will not all equally achieve it. There is no possible way we could equalize it without some people choosing to hold back and do less than their best.

But failure is easy to equalize. Just drive everyone down to zero.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   

It tailors teaching to meet the student by saying the student doesn't need to actually learn anything in order to pass school.

I know it's popular to believe that Republicans don't believe in "book larnin'", but it's actually only a popular leftist myth that allows good little lefties to feel superior while they ask the next Republican through the drive-up if they wanted their latte hot or iced.
edit on 12-8-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I know it's popular to believe that Republicans don't believe in "book larnin'"

Nobody in this thread has made that assertion.

It tailors teaching to meet the student by saying the student doesn't need to actually learn anything in order to pass school.

Can you please show me where in the bill it says that, where you're getting that idea from? And, while you're at it, kindly point out how the (temporary) suspension of the DoE exit "Common core" standardized exit test violates the Republican Party Platform of repealing standardized testing and getting teachers out of the "teaching to take a test" business?

Again, the bill stipulates that students must have completed all their credit requirements, and must have passed all their required classes, in order to receive their diploma. They just don't need to be subject to the DoE exit exam.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Yes I agree it hurts everybody, what I meant was that it’s hurting the very people they think they’re trying to help.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Maybe the part where requirements to have reading, math, and writing standards were removed.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Yes I agree it hurts everybody, what I meant was that it’s hurting the very people they think they’re trying to help.

Does it? You think public high schools should do everything they can, with tax payer money, to get these students college ready? Personally, I'd rather see student that are so inclined have their opportunities, and kids that aren't so inclined be validated and given hope through career options that don't require intellectualism to succeed.

This is an issue that I agree with Republicans on. Kids shouldn't be shoved in to colleges that are ready to placate them with art history and and social politics while taking their away futures through outrageous student loan fees.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Maybe the part where requirements to have reading, math, and writing standards were removed.

"No"

I mean show me in the bill where those standards are being removed.

Do it. Show it.

Jezz. you guys. Advocating for Common Core educational standards, and are like sheep, taking the thread headline at face value. The OP doesn't even source the actual bill.

Take the ATS "Deny Ignorance" standardized test and read it!

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Im not sure you made the connection. Or i missed it.

posted on Aug, 13 2021 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Oregon Governor Kate Brown quietly signed a bill last month that removed the requirement for graduating high school children in the state to be proficient in reading, writing, and math, in an effort to aid “students of color.”

the governor’s deputy communications director, Charles Boyle, told the Oregonian that suspending the reading, writing, and math proficiency requirements would benefit “students of color”

Boyle said that “leaders from those communities have advocated time and again for equitable graduation standards"

Source

Oregon Democrat Governor Kate Brown has signed a bill into law that removes the requirement to be able to read, write, and do basic math to graduate high school. Her official reasoning was that it will be fair to black students, or "students of color". Apparently her and her administration feel that it isn't fair to expect black students to be able to read and write or do basic math, because it isn't an "equitable graduation standard". In other words, they believe blacks aren't as capable of reading and writing and therefore can't be held to the same standards as whites.

Time has shown us that the liberals and Democrats have a history of this mentality - that blacks need their help because they can't get by on their own. I'm reminded time and time again of the video of the liberal college student trying to explain that requiring voter IDs is racist because black people don't know how to use the internet to figure out how to get IDs.

Here's an open challenge for anyone at all: Defend this without saying something that would have you labelled a racist.

I have seen the schedule of a virginia highschool (i think it was virginia) and the entire schedule for the year was filled with CRT, how not to be racist and how they are victims of racism. They are being taught to hate and nothing else in schools right now.

This is the new hitter youth and its schools. Same system. Packaged in a nice rosy package with pretensions naming schemes just like " It is for the children , don't you like children?" so few dare to speak out about it and can be vilified easily in the society and the media .

40-45 has long gone but its tactics are more alive then ever.

posted on Aug, 13 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I know all of you want to believe what Russia Today says about Oregon.

But the article is inaccurate.

The bill doesn't removing any normal graduation requirements.

It suspends a highly controversial test for a three year period. So, that test can be reviewed, comparing it to similar tests around the country in an attempt to devise one that accurately reflects the abilities of students.

In order to get a High School diploma, students will still need to complete four years of language arts, 3 years of mathematics (Algebra I and above), 3 years of science (with inquiry skills, and lab proficiency), and three years of second language, the arts, education or technical training. Plus health, PE, and multiple yearly elective courses. For a total of 24 credit hours.

Obviously, to pass that course load you will have a proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics.

I doubt most people on ATS could pass even half those courses today.

posted on Aug, 13 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There are plenty of black people that are educated, intelligent and do achieve. I personally think they should have tutors to help the students along the way.

I think that those students are being cheated of their good reputations and learning skills.

posted on Aug, 13 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Nailed it.

It's more important for Dems to indoctrinate the students that white people are racist than to have the students be able to read write and do math. Think about that.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join