It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California to instruct schools to hold back well-performing students in the name of racial equity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

I just posted and sourced the info. Apparently California is proposing something so preposterous and outrageous you thought it had to be Russian agitprop since it couldn't be true ... only it is true.

To correct this perceived injustice, the commission recommends keeping students with a natural talent for mathematics in the same classrooms as students who struggle with advanced math. The commission views encouraging some middle and high school students to take accelerated math classes beginning in eighth grade, with the goal of learning calculus in grade 12, as "misguided."

www.theblaze.com...

So if your child is a math genius they will not be allowed to progress and will be stuck in the same class as students who suck at math. I agree, it sounds so stupid it couldn't be true ... yet it is.

These people are so stupid they don't realize the flip side is that they are saying there is nothing special about Einstein, he had no innate gifts, everyone can do what he did, and if you aren't at his level it's because you're a lazy fatass who isn't working hard enough.
edit on 6-5-2021 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What a disgrace if true..seems like life today is about catering to the lowest common denominator. I guess it falls in line with my theory, being they want us all to be dumb and compliant.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I think what they are calling a natural ability for math is really caused by someone simply putting in the hard work. I was just average in K-12. Most likely because I didn't put in any effort. After going into the military, I started taking college classes and was able to get high marks in all of my courses just by putting in some work.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

So if your child is a math genius they will not be allowed to progress and will be stuck in the same class as students who suck at math. I agree, it sounds so stupid it couldn't be true ... yet it is.

The sad reality is this already happens at public schools.
My daughter was very gifted. She aced standardized tests.
More than once her teachers told me that they had her teach the class because she was able to understand and relay
the materials to the students better than they could. I was not amused by this.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I only have one question. WTF is wrong with your country?

Democrats.

You wont see this sh!t in republican run states.

(post by Tekner removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

There are people that have a natural ability to pick up concepts in certain areas at a much quicker pace than their peers. You sit me in front of a computer and ask me to write code or break into a system (legal red teaming) and I will excel at these things, it's something that I've picked up naturally over the years. Now I have put work into those areas, after I already had a career as you need the piece of paper that says you can do it before you can get the well paying job.

My wife is the opposite, she understands how to use her computer for basic tasks, but that's about it. However when you put her with a paintbrush or airbrush in her hands she can do things that even if I spent the rest of my life trying to hone that skill I could never match.

Not everyone is the same, nor should they be, we all have unique abilities in some fashion or another. Yes there are people that do well by doing the work, there are also those that do well without having to put in the same level of work, or even work at all. Gifted people exist and not all of them are gifted in the same areas as others. I accept the fact that everyone wants to be exceptional in some fashion, unfortunately that is not always the case.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Not everyone is the same, nor should they be, we all have unique abilities in some fashion or another.

Exactly! We all have different weaknesses too.

Here are mine and I think they are related.
I'm terrible at math, languages and music. I can't remember a lyric to save my soul.

To say I have the same ability or potential as a child like Mozart is just plain silly.
The more I think about this OP, the more I really am sad about the educational direction of the US.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

There are people that have a natural ability to pick up concepts in certain areas at a much quicker pace than their peers. You sit me in front of a computer and ask me to write code or break into a system (legal red teaming) and I will excel at these things, it's something that I've picked up naturally over the years. Now I have put work into those areas, after I already had a career as you need the piece of paper that says you can do it before you can get the well paying job.

My wife is the opposite, she understands how to use her computer for basic tasks, but that's about it. However when you put her with a paintbrush or airbrush in her hands she can do things that even if I spent the rest of my life trying to hone that skill I could never match.

Not everyone is the same, nor should they be, we all have unique abilities in some fashion or another. Yes there are people that do well by doing the work, there are also those that do well without having to put in the same level of work, or even work at all. Gifted people exist and not all of them are gifted in the same areas as others. I accept the fact that everyone wants to be exceptional in some fashion, unfortunately that is not always the case.

This is exactly where the problem is, as these naturally true things you mention are totally contrary to the goals of those whose aim is to achieve communism. Like those in authority in California and almost everywhere else in the USA.

Quite sad. Judgement upon America has begun it's middle and advanced stages.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

On the plus side if you look at history, and we're talking hundreds and thousands of years here, exceptionalism prevails in the face of the adversity trying to drag it down to its level. That doesn't mean we don't have periods of immense backwardness, yet some way we manage to overcome. It may not happen in our lifetimes, we may be entering into a new period of recession when it comes to intellectual exceptionalism, but if nothing else I have faith that we'll get back to where we should be and advance even farther.

I will say being in the downward slope of it does suck pretty hard though.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: trollz

I only have one question. WTF is wrong with your country?

If this thread was in the Mud Pit, I'd give you the most honest, direct, factually accurate answer imaginable. Since it is not in the Mud Pit and we've entered a clown world wherein criticism of a party of retards and asshats is considered "muddy," I will just say that the nation allowed itself to be undercut by a certain cult-like sect of individuals with zero grasp on reality, merit, or the value of self responsibility and instead took it upon themselves to view anyone not putting forth the efforts required to succeed in a merit based society as "projects" and themselves as "saviors." Virtue signals overrode tangible values, narrow pipe dreams of what *should be* obscured the reality of what is, and just enough well meaning idiots thought "Well, we got ours, so to make ourselves feel better and stupidly imagining the costs to us are low, let's vote in these white knight buffoons with zero economic, historical, or geopolitical knowledge to represent us in the nation's capitol."

The road to hell was once paved with good intentions, of late it's been paved by idiocy.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Right before my family left Turkey ( Ottoman) , the Muslims disguised them selves as Kurds, snuck into town, burned down the college that taught science, and math, then burned down the church and executed the missionaries. Thats why Great grandma went to a church tent meeting to hear the reading of the prophecy even though she had no religion. She went home and instructed her husband that they had to leave.

California politicians and many Californians are about as retarded as those Muslims that did that. California has a death wish, that will be coming true before too long. Blood is in the water already.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   

On the plus side once we are all paraplegic drivers the playing field in the parking lots will be leveled.

Yay equity.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Parents of gifted students need not worry.

Plenty of sponsors will fund the private schools for all who "Qualify" beyond dumbbelledness 😸

Business will target the gifted and talented when the general employment pool of quality candidates dries up. Like it is now.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 02:30 AM
link   
It's a pointless agenda there anyway. If you ever lived in California or anywhere.. most children get started into the work force by someone they know.. not their grades. It's always been about who you know, so racial or not if your kid hangs around with the slackers and drug dealers they won't be going far no matter who you hold back...

California is extremely class stats, your grades don't matter until college even for most jobs with people offering onsite training.... so even if you go to college you can wind up like the rocket scientist that worked for NASA.. they downsize they fired 90% of their staff and they have been flipping burgers at mc donald's for the past 10years. The only ones they kept were those that were willing to take a substantial pay cut. This applies to the gaming industry as well as many other "desirable" industries. Even teaching has huge downfalls, having to supply things yourself.. unless your private school.

So all it is is another agenda to dumb down the sheep by preventing gifted students from accelerating and succeeding. These kids will have a wake up call eventually, and it will be up to the parents to teach them that. Life isn't fair, there will always be a loser for every winner. Even when you get turned down a job because law states they must hire a 20% minority staff. Or when you get bypassed for a promotion because someone else was better at doing the job.

I know plenty of Cali preppies who are sitting hot s ceos to their daddies business.. but they couldn't figure out how to change a light bulb between em, let alone understand a standardized performance graph. But they do know how to riot protest and temper tantrum to get their way.. that is who will be leading the country in the next 10-20years.. so get over it.. the worst is yet to come.
edit on 7-5-2021 by BlackArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 02:32 AM
link   
First you elected Biden and now this? America is fully embracing stupidity.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I think that what they really mean is that schools should focus their limited resources on average students rather than spending their budget on flashy AP programs designed to grab headlines.

For example a school shouldn't pay for top of the line computers for their AP classes when other classes cannot get money for text books.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Read the article and the reasoning.

California's Department of Education has announced that the gap between well-performing students and their less able peers must disappear

Such an effort would involve faculty holding well-performing students back, even while pushing their less intellectual peers forward

Someone decided that the gap between well-performing students and less able ones must disappear. There is zero accountibility and insight why the gap exists, the most important thing is to make it nonexistant.

Uniform through-out. And instead of pulling up the bad performing students, they plan to drag down the good students. There is zero acknowledging that it doesn't stop at a students intelligence but also lazyness to learn.

I agree with your last sentence, however that's not the issue these people have. It's the "unfair unequity" so the lesser gifted or lazy students can feel good.

This is exactly the creepy stuff I expected from the new US government's mindset. Drunks like Pelosi, AOC and others that entertain such stupid ideas. You have to ask yourself what the real intention is, because on thing is certain:

It's going to push down the level of education, in favor of the dumb.

You have to ask yourself why this seems to be wished, but if you look at how these democrat politicians (other party too) speak about their people, it's very clear. Fly over country, basket of deplorables and so on.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   

There is natural ability and their is living up to that potential. No amount of work will make me the next Einstein, I don't have the natural ability.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

No what they mean is that people good at math being in advanced classes and other kids being in standard classes perpetuates the idea some students are good at math and some are bad, and they reject the idea anyone is born 'smarter' than others. So since we all have the same IQ and we are all equally smart we should all be in the same class.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join