It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYTimes reports on conditions in US Immigrant Children Camps and says conditions are really bad

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
But that feels so unamerican. Don't you think? I know the patriot in me cringes when people say this.

We need to fix the border issues while at the same time honer the spirit of america and treating these people with more respected as human beings.
We can do this. We're america goddammit!

Well, now that Mexico has agree to let people who sneak in and claim asylum stay in Mexico while their claim is vetted, this should help dramatically...

So... is this happening yet? And why can't this be retro-active, and we can send all of the ones we're housing now back over the line to Mexico to wait their asylum denial (well, the 90%+ that are usually denied)?

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Is the holocaust in the room with you right now?

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: Krakatoa
how did he put food on the table (or even have a table) by working without a valid social security card or ID?

There is no federal law requiring anyone to have or use a SSN in order to work in the USA.

Doesn't mean it is easy to do, but it is true.

Uhhh, you are not being entirely honest or accurate in that statement. In fact, you are advocating breaking U.S. Tax laws and risking tax evasion without a SSN.

Social Security Numbers are used to report earnings to the United States government, and are needed on numerous important forms related to employment, such as tax documents. If you are new to the U.S., you can work without an SSN temporarily. However, you must apply for a number with the Social Security Administration, or the SSA, immediately, and provide it to your employer upon receipt and within 90 days of starting your job.

Tip
You can start to work without an SSN, if you have an employment authorization document, but you must obtain the number and provide it to your employer later.

Source: Can You Work in the U.S. Without a Social Security Number?

Foreign Workers and Social Security Numbers
Social Security numbers are used to report
a person’s wages to the government and to
determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security
benefits. You need a Social Security number to
get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and
receive some other government services.
If you’re temporarily in the United States to
work, your employer will ask for your Social
Security number. In general, only noncitizens
authorized by the Department of Homeland
Security (DHS) to work in the United States can
get a Social Security number.
Although many other businesses, such as
banks and credit companies, also ask for your
number, you aren’t required to provide it. You
can get many services without a Social Security
number, including a driver’s license.

What do I have to do to work in the United States?
First, you must have documents showing your
U.S. immigration status and authorization to
work in the United States. Then, you should
apply for a Social Security number and card
from the Social Security Administration.

Source: Foreign Workers and Social Security Numbers

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

You are detained until trial unless given bail. But that's neither here nor there really;

It's here and now, and it's the reason why there are thousands of children being held in unsafe and unsanitary conditions. You didn't have this same situation during the Obama Administration because they practiced a "catch and release" policy. There are consequences to Trump's new "no tolerance" policy. You're looking at them in this thread.

The Obama Administration still deported more people than Trump has.

edit on 24-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Should we just release them on the street? Should we deport them right back into Mexico? Should we bus them to you in Canada? You just want to say "oh the horror" with nothing else.
If you agree that the right thing to do with refugee children is to wrest them from their parent and hold them in cages with foil for bedding on concrete floors, no soap, not even a toothbrush, and call it 'safe and sanitary', then there is no hope for you, and no further conversation to be had.
edit on 24-6-2019 by JohnnyCanuck because: appalled.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I've received a "save the date" notice from apocalyptic evangelicals.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Still doesn't change the fact that they are here and they are kids. We shouldn't just turn away. Even if I personally don't know what to do I can't just give up and pretend they don't mater.

Are you advocating just as strongly for American kids living their lives in the same conditions in the big city Ghettos in America?

Or is your outrage limited to children who are here illegally?

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

They are being detained/incarcerated, and their children taken, before any court has found them guilty of trespassing. In America, you are innocent until you are proven guilty. That's what "catch and release" reflected. The Trump "no tolerance" policy is fascism.

This above doesn't even make sense...

ARREST/DETAINED
is the act of apprehending a person and taking them into custody, usually because they have been suspected of committing or planning a crime. After the person is taken into custody, they can be questioned further and/or charged. An arrest is a procedure in a criminal justice system.

Are they on American soil when they are detained, or are we now going into Mexico and detaining people there? If they are on American soil then I would think it is safe to say they entered illegally. Remember, to take into custody does not need some verdict of guilt.

edit on 24-6-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
If you agree that the right thing to do with refugee children is to wrest them from their parent and hold them in cages with foil for bedding on concrete floors, no soap, not even a toothbrush, and call it 'safe and sanitary', then there is no hope for you, and no further conversation to be had.

Once again you will not answer anything I ask, and once again no where in any of my posts do I suggest anything within your never ending Hyperbole.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

If you're not, the supreme court has ruled many times over that you don't enjoy constitutional rights.

Please cite those cases. In the meantime, please enjoy chewing on the 14th Amendment.

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

a reply to: thedigirati

Migrants and Central American asylum seekers can't afford gold fillings.

Just for clarity. The rosary pictures were from 2007-2014 published in 2015.

www.insider.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I can see how many Canada has taken, oh wait they are "full" and can't take anymore.

How lofty of you, BTW can I have your facebook account and password so I can tell George off, I promise it wont reflect badly on you one bit, no one on the left wopuld ever doxx someone for that right??

Lets put them on a Train to the great white north, oh whats that, they don't like snow?????

( asylum laws are for the first country you cross, wonder why Mexico is letting them come here)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

If they are claiming asylum, and I'm not saying all of them are, they are not entering illegally. But the Trump administration has been holding all those claiming asylum, who enter between check points, and even many who do enter through check points, in detention centers and taking their children away from them.
edit on 24-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow

Migrants and Central American asylum seekers can't afford gold fillings.

Just for clarity. The rosary pictures were from 2007-2014 published in 2015.

Damn Obama, Damn him all to HELL!!!

link   

I think people need to believe that all or a majority of illegals are bad people so they don't feel guilty for hating or fearing, or seeing them as a threat.

Impressive... two false presumptions and two false conclusions - with one correct conclusion - all in one sentence with only 31 words...

First, I don't know anyone who thinks 'all or a majority of' these people are bad. Many are, but no, not all or even a majority.

I also don't know anyone who hates or fears them.

What I and the people I've spoken to are concerned about is the threat posed to the fabric of our society by this massive invasion of people entering our country illegally and making false asylum claims.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

WOW! So, there should be so many more by now, perhaps dwarfing the wedding rings?

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

If you're not, the supreme court has ruled many times over that you don't enjoy constitutional rights.

Please cite those cases. In the meantime, please enjoy chewing on the 14th Amendment.

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

If they were detained within the 100 mile "no-constitutional protection zone" that surrounds the borders to this country, then, NO, they have no constitutional protections, therefore, the 14th Amendment does not even come into play.
ACLU FACTSHEET ON CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION'S 100-MILE ZONE (see 8 U.S.C. § 1357(a)(3) for details).

I didn't setup that zone,. and frankly I think it is wrong on many levels. But,

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

a reply to: Onlyyouknow

WOW! So, there should be so many more by now, perhaps dwarfing the wedding rings?

Where would you like the illegal immigrants to go? What is your solution?

In Minneapolis, where I'm from, the government just opened up the 1st 16 low income housing units in 10 years. The waiting list has been full for 30 years....

Lolz
🤪
edit on 24-6-2019 by Scepticaldem because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2019 by Scepticaldem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

It's here and now, and it's the reason why there are thousands of children being held in unsafe and unsanitary conditions.

Yet when we said we were going to ship them to sanctuary cities you all whined. Plus, you still have not addressed the massive human trafficking element. You are advocating for keeping the kids with the traffickers.

You didn't have this same situation during the Obama Administration because they practiced a "catch and release" policy.

Obama built the "cages." The pictures circulating are from his tenure. 87% of those "catch and release" folks (your term, not mine. It's a term used for wild animals. Just wanted to point that out) skip out on their court dates. So what exactly is the point of the "catch" part?

There are consequences to Trump's new "no tolerance" policy. You're looking at them in this thread.

Whining libs?

The Obama Administration still deported more people than Trump has.

I should hope so, he was president for 4x as long as trump has been.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
But it is illegal to cross the border at unauthorized points.

The problem I learned recently is, it isn't a felony to cross illegally. That needs to change.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join