It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Times wilfully ignorant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

The writing below the above picture:

A rifle from the 18th century, when the Second Amendment was written, and an assault rifle of today. Credit Top, MPI, via Getty Images, bottom, Joe Raedle/Getty Images .

Here is my first "Assault Rifle" I purchased"

Sure it's only a .22LR, but the lead is the same size as the scary Black rifle above, and it shoots the same way, "semi automatic", it even has multiple rounds. I can buy Ruger's version of the same rifle and get a 100 shot magazine for it.

But the big picture is at this point in the discussion, there just is no excuse for calling a semi-automatic weapon an 'assault weapon'. there is enough information available, people have explained this over and over again. It's pushing an agenda at best, being stupid like a sack of hammers, at worst.

This:

Is and M249 also known as a SAW. It is fully automatic, and is in fact an assault weapon. It is used by our military to use in forward assaults.
Ignorance at this point can't be blamed on anything other than lack of intelligence.

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
At this point I'm pretty sure there's an agenda to disarm the citizens.

And seeing who is pushing this agenda is what's making me fear for my future.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Where's Danny Vermin and his .88 magnum?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

You may not realize this, but there is more about the M4/M16/AR-15 gun that deems it an assault rifle than JUST the fact it is semi-automatic.

PS: Heck that M4 that is depicted in the image is also known as a carbine because it is a short rifle that sacrifices maximum range for easier urban engagement than the old fashioned M16 does.
edit on 27-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You may not realize this, but there is more about the M4/M16/AR-15 gun that deems it an assault rifle than JUST the fact it is semi-automatic.

PS: Heck that M4 that is depicted in the image is also known as a carbine because it is a short rifle that sacrifices maximum range for easier urban engagement than the old fashioned M16 does.

So is an AR-15 from Bob's guns an Assault Rifle? (yes or no is all you need here)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
OP did you forget that "assault weapon" is a political definition and not an actual class of weapon?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It is hard to imagine that this language use is an accident.

There is no way that there can still be people whose profession requires their commentary on social matters, who has failed to be accessed by the information that assault rifles and semi automatics are separate parts of the firearms world. Its everywhere, especially in a nation like America, with a relaxed attitude to firearms like it has.

One trigger pull, one bullet down range. Semi. Simple.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

So is an AR-15 from Bob's guns an Assault Rifle? (yes or no is all you need here)

I guess so. It's pretty much the same gun as an M-16; it just can't be set to 3 round burst like the M16 can.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

What gun control freaks won't admit is it only takes one shot from either rifle to kill someone.

But, if firearms are so horrific, then only issue muskets to police. They kill more citizens than criminals with assault rifles.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

What about semi-auto rpgs, or even a fully auto one? Will they still be just an RPG or will they be that much more destructive that we name them something else? How about a compound bow, semi auto or fully auto compound bows will be named something else entirely maybe? What about when b52 are able to fully auto drop nukes? They will be named different. The point is,the government is telling us to buy as many weapons as possible for our coming war. If I was a fan of guns I would listen. I don't like guns.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I'm no fan of the NYT, but the main point of your post is confronting a point of contention in the article that doesn't actually exist. The article has not tried to state or imply the definition of what is an assault rifle. You seem confused.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
At this point I'm pretty sure there's an agenda to disarm the citizens.

And seeing who is pushing this agenda is what's making me fear for my future.

i agree
they want to change the second ammendment, there is a provided route for that, let them use it
otherwise it is nothing more than POLITICAL grandstanding
notice how they ignore semi auto handguns
because it doesnt suit their agenda

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
too bad.

Bring it on bro!!

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It cannot be set to fully automatic fire either, which is the more important aspect.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Is there actually any pro second amendment people that aren’t paranoid that they’re gonna take your guns away?

Like, does it come when you get your licence?

“Here’s your gun sir, and your dose of paranoia too”

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Sure it's only a .22LR, but the lead is the same size as the scary Black rifle above, and it shoots the same way, "semi automatic", it even has multiple rounds.

The 22LR and a 223 are two completely different rounds. They share a a very similar diameter, but are still different in that aspect.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I guess so. It's pretty much the same gun as an M-16; it just can't be set to 3 round burst like the M16 can.

Please smack yourself in the forehead. "It's pretty much the same gun... except, derp, the one key feature it lacks that would distinguish it from every other semi automatic weapon." It's like saying your regular pencil is pretty much the same thing as a mechanical one except that it requires sharpening.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Is there actually any pro second amendment people that aren’t paranoid that they’re gonna take your guns away?

*raises hand*

But then again, I lost my rifles.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
When the gun grabbers started referring to any rifle as a "long gun", I knew they would eventually come for all rifles.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It cannot be set to fully automatic fire either, which is the more important aspect.

No 3 round burst is WAAAAY better than fully auto. A fully auto M16 is near useless after pulling the trigger once because of the gun's rate of fire and the low capacity magazines. This was discovered back in Vietnam. The Army apparently did studies and found that soldiers were wasting tons of ammo spray and praying, so the Army switched the guns to 3 round burst for cover firing purposes while emphasizing accuracy training for attacking targets.
edit on 27-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join