It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Times wilfully ignorant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude
I think that all of us complaining will not help snip. But there is a fact that has not been addressed here and needs addressing. If something is not done than when these young kids gain power, and those with much power get greedy all will burn and dystopian way of life will ensue. I say come to some sort of agreement and keeps the 2nd as best we can or risk losing what those that argue so avidly for hold dear. (Disclaimer) I am very much pro gun. I prefer track, trap and bow or knife but maybe that’s just me being a man lol Hell I have a gun and bow hidden in most rooms and never carry less than one knife on me. Even in my sleep wear.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Here's what I see as the difference..

The top gun, once I've fired it at an innocent child... i cant keep firing it at other innocent kids

however, the bottom gun, i can kill atleast 10 kids, then only need 10 seconds to reload another clip and kill another 10

You can be all technical about your definitions of ''assault rifle'' or ''semi automatic / fully automatic ''

the point is, these weapons are being built to kill multiple people in seconds... these kind of weapons should NOT be in the hands of anyone in the public scene, let alone mentally challenged people or general citizens without a background and mental check.

You want protection? get shot gun or a hunting rifle for your home....

You cant tell me the 2nd amendment was written with AR15's and other similar weapons in mind..

Logic needs to prevail somewhere in this debate.
edit on 27/3/18 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You may not realize this, but there is more about the M4/M16/AR-15 gun that deems it an assault rifle than JUST the fact it is semi-automatic.

PS: Heck that M4 that is depicted in the image is also known as a carbine because it is a short rifle that sacrifices maximum range for easier urban engagement than the old fashioned M16 does.

So is an AR-15 from Bob's guns an Assault Rifle? (yes or no is all you need here)

I guess so. It's pretty much the same gun as an M-16; it just can't be set to 3 round burst like the M16 can.

Please smack yourself in the forehead. "It's pretty much the same gun... except, derp, the one key feature it lacks that would distinguish it from every other semi automatic weapon." It's like saying your regular pencil is pretty much the same thing as a mechanical one except that it requires sharpening.

How about you smack yourself in the forehead instead? I'm good on that front. But you on the other hand clearly don't even know what you are talking about:

the one key feature it lacks that would distinguish it from every other semi automatic weapon."

There are more features to the Ar-15 than just the fact it can be toggled to 3 round burst. The biggest hangup with the weapon is the modability of the gun. Not its selector switch (which can be modified by going onto youtube and looking up the process anyways). Semi-automatic is far deadlier than 3 round burst or fully automatic. Any soldier would tell you that. In fact, I'm a veteran so I'M telling you this.
edit on 27-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

It's happening.

From the 1991 book "Behold the pale horse" by William Cooper (RIP)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: vinifalou
At this point I'm pretty sure there's an agenda to disarm the citizens.

And seeing who is pushing this agenda is what's making me fear for my future.

i agree
they want to change the second ammendment, there is a provided route for that, let them use it
otherwise it is nothing more than POLITICAL grandstanding
notice how they ignore semi auto handguns
because it doesnt suit their agenda

Yep.
Shotguns kill more people than all types of rifles combined.
Handguns kill more people (like 9X more) than shotguns.
But they are focused on semiautomatic rifles.

It makes no sense.... unless you see that their goal is to incrementally ban all privately owned weapons, and the 'assault weapons' are the first easy step.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
It makes no sense.....

well, look at the last 10 major massacres - what weapons were used?
handguns, shotguns or semi-automatic rifles?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Is there actually any pro second amendment people that aren’t paranoid that they’re gonna take your guns away?

Like, does it come when you get your licence?

“Here’s your gun sir, and your dose of paranoia too”

My licence did not come with a complimentary shot of paranoia.

I must have been screwed.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
www.nytimes.com...

The writing below the above picture:

A rifle from the 18th century, when the Second Amendment was written, and an assault rifle of today. Credit Top, MPI, via Getty Images, bottom, Joe Raedle/Getty Images .

Here is my first "Assault Rifle" I purchased"

Sure it's only a .22LR, but the lead is the same size as the scary Black rifle above, and it shoots the same way, "semi automatic", it even has multiple rounds. I can buy Ruger's version of the same rifle and get a 100 shot magazine for it.

But the big picture is at this point in the discussion, there just is no excuse for calling a semi-automatic weapon an 'assault weapon'. there is enough information available, people have explained this over and over again. It's pushing an agenda at best, being stupid like a sack of hammers, at worst.

This:

Is and M249 also known as a SAW. It is fully automatic, and is in fact an assault weapon. It is used by our military to use in forward assaults.
Ignorance at this point can't be blamed on anything other than lack of intelligence.

That Muzzleloader has more firepower than the assault weapon.

little slower to load but blow a pretty big hole in ya.

And scary loud.

edit on 3 27 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

It makes no sense.....

look at chicago
one needs to look no further than chiraq to see the agenda

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It makes no sense.... unless you see that their goal is to incrementally ban all privately owned weapons, and the 'assault weapons' are the first easy step.

it will be an "easy step" only if we allow it
make them change the 2nd
that is in no way "easy"
the founders had a reason for the steps required to make changes
perhaps to prevent knee jerk reactions to made up situations?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

It makes no sense.....

look at chicago
one needs to look no further than chiraq to see the agenda

You cant say, X City is in dire straits therefore it proves its pointless.

There are a multitude of problems and reasons that are making Chicago, Detroit etc the way they are....

The bottom line is, if you don't make logical, sensible changes.... then children are going to get massacred over and over again. And the kids that survive will never be the same..

People no longer look at Americans as crazy gun nuts... they look at you as the most selfish and self absorbed people on the planet.

You literally would rather have your children murdered at school if it meant you could go to your local shop and buy a ridiculous gun that has no place in society

its messed up!!

edit on 27/3/18 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

You cant say, X City is in dire straits therefore it proves its pointless.

not all gun deaths are equal?
lol

Chicago recorded 286 shooting incidents and 78 slayings through the first two months of this year,

410 killed in "mass shootings" from 200 - 2016
www.usatoday.com...

The number of shooting incidents in Chicago dropped from 3,550 to 2,785 for the same period. Police say they bulk of the violence is gang-related.

ignore what does not suit your agenda
again it seems all shooting deaths are not equal

You literally would rather have your children murdered at school if it meant you could go to your local shop and buy a ridiculous gun that has no place in society

seems you would literally only save some shooting victims and not others...agenda much???

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It does not matter which is better Krazysh0t.

The point is that unless the rifle can fire more than one round, to one pull of the trigger, its a semi automatic firearm, no different than any other. Calling a civilian available AR-15 an assault rifle, is like calling a VW Camper Van a sports car. Its nonsensical, and makes no allowance for the clear differences between the two things.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

And that right there is a key differentiation between semi automatic rifles and "assault weapons".

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

this is why a sensible debate about guns cant happen... some of you have 0 sense..

People talk about sensible gun laws you rabidly attack it like your 2nd amendment is going to be abolished.
Make changes.. adjust it to suit the times because your society is flooded with mentally deranged people

You can pretend there's no issue and watch people suffer or you can do something and maybe make a positive change..

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

And that right there is a key differentiation between semi automatic rifles and "assault weapons".

This is an assault weapon.

USS Iowa.

edit on 3 27 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

You cant tell me the 2nd amendment was written with AR15's and other similar weapons in mind.. 

During the American Revolution, if there had been AR 15 rifles available to the British and the colonists....
Do you honestly believe that the founding fathers would have written the Second Amendment to exclude them?

I urge all people that want AR 15 rifles banned to go and
confiscate the banned weapons personally. Do it without using firearms.
This may encourage an understanding of what the Sevond Amendment is about.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
These threads kill me.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

It makes no sense.....

If you bother to look it up, pistols killed more people in mass shootings.
What was the weapon used in the Va Tech massacre?
Ft. Hood?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

this is why a sensible debate about guns cant happen... some of you have 0 sense..

People talk about sensible gun laws you rabidly attack it like your 2nd amendment is going to be abolished.
Make changes.. adjust it to suit the times because your society is flooded with mentally deranged people

You can pretend there's no issue and watch people suffer or you can do something and maybe make a positive change..

I'm not gonna be treated like a criminal before I've committed a crime. I'm not selfish I just know my rights. Give me a mental evaluation and three background checks but I'm not gonna let the liberal Media and politicians, the US government, the biggest gun traffickers in the world, tell me I shouldn't own an AR-15 because it looks scary.

We can come to a compromise but it's always all or nothing in this screwed up country

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join