It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!Parvo Virus!!!!!!!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Thank you,i always have garlic and ginger root in the house,interesting.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I can imagine it is difficult living in the part of Africa you are. Tropical areas love disease, and Africa is literally ancient in that regard.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I'm am so very sorry. Yes there is a vaccine available in the states. We administer it to puppies at 4 and 6 weeks of age.
There is vaccine in south Africa and in Botswana if you're near there. You said central Africa.
Perhaps your local vet or minister of animal husbandry or who ever is in authority can inquire about obtaining doses to protect the pets in your area. Perhaps find out at church if people are interested in obtaining the vaccine.
I don't know if there are programs in your area. You didn't say which country you're from.

Good luck.
Keep a close watch on the pregnant bitch. The virus attacks fast growing cells. You may want to have the vet administer fluids intravenously.
I hope for the best for you.
My pets are almost like children to me too.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
www.oie.int...

This is like WHO for animals. If no programs exist in your country they can set one up or help local residents do it.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Psst. Next time you get cucumbers (burp) keep some seeds . The plants don't need horizontal space. They climb. Put in a pot and have cukes whenever you want. Lol.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Ya wow people were dropping like flies in this region back in the day.It was a goldrush region,and home to my country's first stock exchange,they say it was like the Wild West here,back in the day.Bar fights and voluptuous barmaids and shootings and sheriffs and badlands wastrels and the allure of the gold in them hills:-)) Malaria,fevers,dengues and agues..it was,and is, one of the most unhealthy regions in my country.Up to present day there is Always Some bug going around in this region,winter and summer.It just feels worse to be sick in summer here.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Oh thanks for that
Never tried to grow cukes,didn't have the foggiest idea. I used to grow stuff like babymarrows,pumpkins etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Thanks so much for your replies and info,much appreciated. Our vet has never mentioned a vaccine,it is strange,because i am in South Africa,Mpumalanga Province. I cannot think why she would give us advice like : "Wait 3 years before you get Rotties again,cause the virus is in the ground ,and only take them from their mother at 3 months age,it builds up their immunities"

But she never mentioned a vaccine,nor the other vet in town,a real cow but competent enough. Not even Mr. Morris the previous vet from a decade ago said anything about a vaccine.
edit on 22-3-2017 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Hi,no IS there even a vaccine? i honestly do not know,and with the absolute CARNAGE we had in the town and surrounding Bush around the time this disease claimed my little Rotties and almost my daughter's Fox Terrier,last year,i think she would have told us. In fact,what she told us was this: "Next time you get Rotties,make sure you get them from the mom at 3 months,not before,that strengthens their immune system - and wait 3 YEARS before you get Rotties again,they are Especially susceptible.
it's the only tentative protection there is."

I think Narissa went into a bit of a depression herself,there were so many dogs she was unable to save,if she was aware of a vaccine,she would for sure have told us.

There is, and it's a core part of vaccine protocol in the US, but maybe not where you are.

It is a sub-Q injection though, so maybe it would be possible for you to get it and give it yourself in the future to guard against any more of these tragedies?

Parvo is just brutal and I'd hate for you to have to go through this any more if you didn't have to.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Ginger is good against vomitting. However the more I'm reading about this virus the more I'm afraid of your dogs.
It's causing their gut to leak all kinds of bacterial infection into the body by the way. Numerous antibiotics are required. There are some very strong herbs out there but who knows if some alkaloid doesn't cause more harm than good.
People say charcoal and to crush it into electrolyte solution:

1 quart water
½ teaspoon Lite salt (for the potassium and sodium)
2 tablespoons sugar
www.earthclinic.com...
Well, I don't know what Lite salt is, but If I searched for some potassium, I'd make some ash. An ash from Sunflower hulls is very rich in potassium. It has NPK around 0-5-34

Wood ashes rise the Ph too, which is good because of metabolic acidosis. Look:

The restoration of the electrolyte and fluid balance is the most important goal of therapy [99]. The affected dog should be put under broad spectrum antibiotic umbrella (ampicillin, chloramphenicol, erythromycin, gentamycin, etc.) Norfloxacin and nalidixic acid have been proved to be effective against canine haemorrhagic gastroenteritis [41]. Symptomatic treatment with steroid, broad spectrum antibiotic, fluid and electrolyte may save the life of the animal. As soon as the problem is recognized, fluid therapy should be started. Supplementation of these fluids with bicarbonate may be recommended. Metabolic acidosis develops if the diarrhoea is severe and potassium supplementation in the form of KCl may be necessary to maintain electrolyte balance. All oral intakes must be withheld in case of severe vomiting and should be given parenterally

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 22/3/2017 by PapagiorgioCZ because: a little improvement

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I have no advice to add. This is horrible. They are family and anybody around dogs know this.

Late to the thread on this so I hope morning rises and your family can make it to the vet!

:ATS love:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Terrible.

Our pets, for those of us who are animal lovers at least, truly are like our children. When they're ill - or worse - it really is like seeing a beloved family member struggling and suffering. And they are utterly reliant on us, and knowing this makes the pain of being unable to help them even greater.

I will pray they all make it through this unscathed. I can't offer any advice others haven't already.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
How awful! I hope your dogs make it! I will check in again for an update.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
So sorry to hear. I hope she pulls through, sending positive vibes for that.

How else can I help prevent the disease? The tiny parvovirus is extraordinarily hardy. They are capable of surviving for months outside an animal, even through the winter, and are resistant to most household cleaning products. Infected dogs can shed vast numbers of viruses, making it difficult to disinfect an area once it has been exposed to an infected dog. These facts highlight the importance of isolating any dog that is infected with CPV from other dogs. Given the fact that most environments (including dog parks, lawns, and even homes) are not cleaned with disinfecting products regularly, a puppy can be exposed to CPV without any warning, making the vaccine protection all the more important. If your home and yard have been contaminated by an infected dog, there are steps you can take to disinfect them before introducing a new dog or puppy.

Despite its relative resistance to cleaning agents, we do know that CPV can be inactivated by bleach. Cleaning with a solution of one part bleach mixed with approximately 30 parts water is an acceptable method for disinfecting any indoor area (including bedding, food/water bowls, and all surfaces) that once housed an infected dog. There is evidence suggesting that CPV loses some of its ability to infect an animal after one month in an indoor environment. Outside, you cannot (and should not) bleach your lawn, but rain or watering can dilute the concentration of the virus over time. This dilution, combined with the sanitizing effects of sunlight can bring the numbers of viruses down to an acceptable level in a few weeks.
Source
You need to sterilize the environment and throw out contaminated items that cannot be cleaned.

Also, for some general info on the breed:
These are magnificent dogs. They also live very short lives compared to other dogs and need special care with for food example because they are prone to :torsion or "bloat. Not to mention other issues such as hip dyspepsia not uncommon in medium/larger dogs(ex).

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Bleach is cool. MMS is cooler.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
www.revivalanimal.com...(Search%203-7-1 3)&utm_term=vaccine%20for%20parvovirus&utm_content=Dog%20Vac%20-%205-way%20Vaccines

I don't know if the link will work for you.

They sell the vaccine online.
edit on 3232017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
How are your dog's today?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thanks so much everyone for your replies and caring,it is so much appreciated! Great news,the Husky does not have Parvo,she is bouncy and hale and hearty all day-she must have just vomited from eating something that did not agree with her. Lily is still at the vet,i will hear from my husband when he eventually comes home from work,he called earlier to say there has been a breakdown of some vital piece of equipment or process,idk much about the goldmining business but it's one of those evenings when he cannot come home till it's fixed.

She had not vomited or had diarrhea this morning when i last saw her before he took her to the vet,and could walk. So i am hoping like mad that she will be fine. I just checked in to give an update,i had a sleepless night and am busy with dinner,very exhausted,so by tomorrow i will know more. Thanks again,so much everyone,very very much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Btw i see from google search that the parvo vaccine is indeed included in the shots puppies get. We got Lily as an adult though,and the Husky,so we never took them for any shots. At least now i know for next time we get a puppy. The Rotties were supposed to have had all their shots,my husband bought them from the K9 security unit on the mine,the guy who sold them told my husband they had their shots. Well next time i am not taking anyone's word in that regard,i will make pretty damn sure Myself that any pup of ours are taken personally to the vet by us for their shots,so i can be 100% sure.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I've been silently following along. So glad to hear that the Husky is ok, and sounds like you big girl will too. I hope the babies do as well
Please let us know when you can.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join