It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!Parvo Virus!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
www.healthcommunities.com...

I am so upset,i don't normally share things like this on ATS,but my dear American friend is maybe busy,she has not answered my mail yet- and i do not mind admitting that i need company,and please some people to just talk to me to help me a bit. It is now 22:25 CAT (central African time) and we can only take our dogs to the vet tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM. My pregnant Great Dane Lily came down today with Parvo Virus..and i am very much afraid that our Husky also has it.

en.wikipedia.org...

We already lost the 2 big grand loves of our lives,our two amazing,angelic,best ever young female Rotties to this miserable disease,and i am so morbidly depressed i can hardly breathe. In a million trillion years i will Never get over the loss of my 2 Rottie girls,they were more than dogs,they were my Children,there are no words to describe how much we loved them. It was surreal,we are huge animal lovers both of us,but to my hubby and myself,it was Astounding how much we loved specifically those 2 Rottie puppers..At age 6 months there lives were stolen by this hideous disease.I would post pics of them,but although i am so very happy that i at least Have some lovely portraits and shots of them,i can still not bring myself to Look at their photo's. It is like a #ing hammer blow to my heart every time i come across a photo of one of them when going through my files.

And last night,the Husky vomited once,we thought it was because of the scrambled egg leftovers we gave them. I have been feeling mildly sick past few days so last night the hubby just made scrambled egg on toast for us.Later the Dane vomited and also this morning-but she is pregnant and it's not unusual for preggo dogs to vomit,especially a month into their gestation. But earlier this evening she vomited again,and i immediately picked up that Parvo virus smell this time..later tonight it was confirmed by explosive bloody diarrhea.

Please hold thumbs,cross fingers and hope like hell that my poor dog will survive well enough till morning.Our new husky also looks subdued,she vomited once last night,but again there was not the Parvo tell-tale smell then and all dogs occasionally vomit,so we had no idea yet.Our dogs are almost like our children,this is like a horrendous recurring nightmare.

Btw the reason why i did not post this in the Pets forum,i would like this thread to serve as a platform where members can learn how to recognise Parvo virus in dogs,so maybe even a life or two can be saved,which is why i did not post in the less-frequented Pets forum.Because once your dog has it,you have to get them to a vet really quick,this disease is a ruthless and speedy killer.

edit on 22-3-2017 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2017 by Raxoxane because: spelling

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Make sure you give them lots and lots of water, that's usually what's the killer with parvo

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Chromium51

Thanks for replying.Yes they always have at least a 5 liter supply,inside and out. But the vomiting worries me because it dehydrates. I did the pinch-the-neck-skin-test with Lily earlier and it seems she's still ok in that regard.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Praying for a recovery for both your Dogs.
Speedy at that.

I've always believed Veterinary services should be open 24/7 to assist in emergencies such as your having.

Try not to stress too much. The Dogs will sense it and become stressed themselves, and that's not good, particularly for the pregnant one.

edit on 22-3-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Thanks for replying.Yes they always have at least a 5 liter supply,inside and out. But the vomiting worries me because it dehydrates. I did the pinch-the-neck-skin-test with Lily earlier and it seems she's still ok in that regard.

That's good, the key is just make sure they're taking more in than eating, if you can find natural foods with a high water content encourage them to eat that as well

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
dogs.lovetoknow.com...

Also you may find this helpful

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So sorry. Not to be insensitive because I really feel for you but don't they offer the parvo vaccine in your country?

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Awww man, sorry Rax... poor babies.

Uhm, this is a little "out there" as animals make their own Vitamin C, BUT I know vets who give their animal patients extra V-C when they are compromised (and to help cure virus)... and apparently it works from what I hear, but I'm no expert.

It wouldn't hurt to look into it... in the mean time, hoping your family pulls through with as little pain as possible.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Man, I feel for you....

The bigger the dog, the higher chance for survival.

It comes on quick... It's messy and it stinks to hell!!!!

Tons of fluid. We had to overnight our dog to a vet and since they were not open on the weekend, we had to push the IV solutions ourselves to keep our pup hydrated when it happened every couple of hours. It was a long weekend.

Make sure you bleach your yard as soon as this is over with half water and half bleach via a spray hose. Other dogs can get sick just by walking around any droppings or places that an affected dog had used the bathroom. The virus will last a really really long time on grass.

Hydration is the most important part of it. You can get a dog vaccinated for it but once they have it, there are no cures or medicines other than hydration and time. After 2-3 days, you'll be out of the red zone. You may have to ask your vet for IV solutions to help. Time is kind of critical on this.

As for the unborn pups... I wish you the best. I don't know how that will turn out. I never been in that situation with a pregnant dog.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I read many years ago people treating them with wacky tobacky to calm the vomiting, maybe allow them to eat.

Might be worth seeing what people are saying.

www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thank you so much,i send you a hug,i am so grateful we can get beyond the obscene political circus and agree on what is important in life,which is unconditional love like from dogs.Your reply especially means much to me.

You know Haz,Lily is even in a strange way connected to ATS too. I remember,none of us can ever forget,the night she came to us. The synchronicity and wonder of it..I was on ATS that very night,it was late-ish in Mzansi. I was replying to a thread that i do not even remember,but i remember the member i was talking to. I said that we would love to have another Great Dane female,because ours was Old:-)) i mean like the Crone stage of the trinity:-)

But in my country,everything is very expensive,even dogs,so i said maybe i should rather get a Rottie,they are grand but cheaper. Then ,it was around 1AM,i took out my old Dane and our then Fox Terrier out to pee. And then my old GD chuffed,and looked to the side of the house. And there was a sweet young GD head peeking round the corner!

I called my dogs in,and went to my bedroom window. The GD ran past,and i called her to wait,and gave her 2 leftover slices of pizza. Oh Haz she took it So delicately

Because a few days later my husband told me,one of the security guards (we live on a goldmine in the African Bush) told my hubby,he saw an employee drop off the 2 dogs_ our new Dane,called Lily - and another dog,that actually ended up dying from starvation,even after rescue,it was too late for that poor dog.

So she found her way to us,at one of The most synchronicitous moments imaginable in a life-and now this foul disease that stole my 2 little girls,is back,to try and steal my survivor Lily-and her unborn babies!!

Haz thank you so much for replying,Bless you,Blessed Be,and to Hell with our political differences!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Thanks so much,and once we get them to Narissa,she will have it in hand,i know it is best if they are admitted and put on a drip. Because although they have enough water supply,the vomiting and explosive diarrhea depletes that. Oh Cthulhu let this night pass speedily!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I am sorry to hear that. All thoughts and prayers to your dogs. hugs.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Hi,no IS there even a vaccine? i honestly do not know,and with the absolute CARNAGE we had in the town and surrounding Bush around the time this disease claimed my little Rotties and almost my daughter's Fox Terrier,last year,i think she would have told us. In fact,what she told us was this: "Next time you get Rotties,make sure you get them from the mom at 3 months,not before,that strengthens their immune system - and wait 3 YEARS before you get Rotties again,they are Especially susceptible.
it's the only tentative protection there is."

I think Narissa went into a bit of a depression herself,there were so many dogs she was unable to save,if she was aware of a vaccine,she would for sure have told us.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Political is really nothing at the end.

We are all more alike than not, and as a Dog lover, I send you hugs and all my prayers.

X

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: Sillyolme

Hi,no IS there even a vaccine? i honestly do not know,and with the absolute CARNAGE we had in the town and surrounding Bush around the time this disease claimed my little Rotties and almost my daughter's Fox Terrier,last year,i think she would have told us. In fact,what she told us was this: "Next time you get Rotties,make sure you get them from the mom at 3 months,not before,that strengthens their immune system - and wait 3 YEARS before you get Rotties again,they are Especially susceptible.
it's the only tentative protection there is."

I think Narissa went into a bit of a depression herself,there were so many dogs she was unable to save,if she was aware of a vaccine,she would for sure have told us.

Theee is a vaccine in the US, it's pretty cheap I'm not sure about other places though

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Thanks so much Baddogma,i hope so too. My hubby said to me tonight: "If this is how it's gonna go - the virus is in the Ground - because it apparently can stay dormant on a lawn/yard for Years- then we better wait 5 years instead of 3 to get Rotties again. I can NOT go through That again"

I know he's correct but it is even more depressing now to hear that.And i already finished all of my 6 Heinekens. No relief. I can drink an Obscene amount of Heinekens without even having the benefit of a buzz. I am still corpus mentis just a bit more relaxed.But really no less worried and depressed. This is like a curse over our family. And due to my hubby's job being a huge saving grace,we cannot move,unless the country collapses completely.Not that i want to leave my country,i do not.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yes that thought crossed my mind,i mean we're down in Africa,it's easier to get your suggestion than it is to get a cucumber from P+P.MUCH easier >:-(( I crave cucumber in the Worst way these days,and it seems even our major town retailer keeps running out.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thank you so much,it means a lot

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Thanks so much reldra, big hug to you also. I am so nervous,just wish this night would pass,i can not wait for 8AM to get my dear furries seen to

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join