It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No headphones for the iPhone 7?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrow

What do you think?

I think they'll change connectors to something other than a 3.5mm plug.

BT codecs generally suck donkey ass in terms of sound quality. Even aptX sucks. And BT inserts an annoying amount of latency when you're watching video.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think wireless charging and headphones should be the standard now, but also have issues with any kind of microwave signal going right at my skull.... so yea, it's a good thing I don't bother with apple.

Apple is doing what they always have, looking for any way to close it off and have a marketing edge over the competition... all while selling it to you as your own artistic creation from theirs to buy... I mean who really buys into that crap?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Apple had done this for years with a lot of their products. They were one of the first to eliminate the floppy drive from their computers. Then, they added a chip to their chargers to stop you from using a third party charger. Then they changed the charger all together. The Mac computers in the 80's and 90's only allowed you to use Apple branded hardware. Nothing new, that is just how they have done things for decades.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Bah, their brainless zombie users that never gave a good look at the competition will still buy it up. Other than getting tablets to the mass market, Apple's been irrelevant these last 20 years. They do nothing better than the competition and sell it twice the price to their blinded cult.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with this whatsoever. As a company I would not want cheap compatible technology used on my product, especially when warranties and insurance premiums are at risk ( like non official e cig chargers being used and causing products to set alight.)

Why would you launch a product where it is cheaper to use a competitor and help diminish the core brand you are trying to promote?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

That's not the breath of the issue though.

Apple will force it's OWN customers to rebuy accessories that they already spent a lot of money on, just to be able to use the features of the new phone.

That's not good business. That's not caring about your brand or it's buyers. That's you filling your coffers cause your stock price is down 1/5th this year.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Very true. But the reason companies like these are the biggest is they find anyway possible to extend product life cycles and customers are too loyal to switch brands. It's reasons like this why Samsung have become so successful. I don't know many people who have iPhone anymore.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

There is absolutely no reason to believe an analog signal travelling the extra journey down a wire will sound better than an analog signal travelling the short distance of the DAC to the transducer.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

There is absolutely no reason to believe an analog signal travelling the extra journey down a wire will sound better than an analog signal travelling the short distance of the DAC to the transducer.

However, after being run through a lossy BT codec, there is a very detectable difference.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just for the record, I had my iPhone bought for me (Christmas present a few years ago - before that, I was blissfully mobile-free).

And yes, as has been said, this type of practice seems to be the Apple norm and, as such, I'll probably go Samsung next time. Besides, I've just had a rather nice new set of earphones (Bose QuietComfort 20) brought for me so anything that doesn't have a 3.5mm jack is going the way of the toes as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

But one can buy a Bluetooth plug for the aux power plug that will work on RF.

Sure, but an Auxiliary cable is much, much cheaper.

Before my latest car (which has bluetooth), I had an RF transmitter with bluetooth to connect to my car radio for one of my cars. However, to get a good one that played clearly over the radio cost me $50+ (better one $75+). An "aux" cable (that I had in another older car, pre-bluetooth) only cost me about $5.

edit on 1/11/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapTheGinkels
People still buy Apple?

Stronger signal. I had an iPhone 4, service in the area was fine, switched to a Samsung Note3, and only had service about 50% of the time. Bought a cell phone booster for $400, made no difference. Stuck with that phone for a year and a half because of the way financing by the phone company works. The maps didn't even work on that, at home it showed me about 10 km away, and even in Edmonton they were useless.

Back to an iPhone and iPad, ridiculous cost compared to Samsung , but a cell phone that won't work in a rural setting is useless.
There's a lot I like about Samsung, like the wireless charging.
Don't know why Apple didn't go with the wireless charging yet, but at least I have phone and data services again

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Persistent use of headphones for long duration can certainly cause permanent hearing damage unless great care is taken over moderating the volume. This isn't a conspiracy, it's biology.

I know that. I have known that since I was 12 (I'm in my 40s now and can still hear). The difference is that when I was 12, the people who made headphones and stuff like that trusted us to be able to read a label and use our brains.

The point was that it's supposed to be up to you to decide whether or not you care. There's a smart way to use it and a dumb way to use it and it's all common sense. Since this whole Obamacare thing happened we're going to see insurance companies and their cohorts trying to turn the whole country into a padded cell and I think the least we can do is make sure people are aware of why.

I have a largely libertarian philosophy. I think this kind of logic leads to slavery. There's not much we can do about it but as long as we can sit down and write what we think about it, that's what I'll do.
edit on 11-1-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

The solution is simple, don't buy an iPhone 7. There's a stack of better alternatives (IMHO).

Cabled Headphones are cheaper and better sound. Doesn't preclude you from having BT headphones (or external speakers) if you want them. All other competing smartphones still retain the jack socket.

If Apple wanted waterproof, they could simply put a rubber plug in the hole (or seal the inside of the socket housing).

This is just because they bought into Beats headphones and are pushing to maximize profits through making themselves the only source of peripherals that will work.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
A small adapter will be available to plug incompatible headphones into the iPhone 7.
To save everyone who feels like crying because of innovation.

*for $80

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I have said it all along.
Apple is about to have a Research In Motion moment.
It looks good on them and I hope the mindless zombies that get sucked into buying these proprietary products finally wake up and smell the Apple's rotten core.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

And will they supply an adapter that will do both at once? Sure, prolly for another 20 bucks!

Because... Apple.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
A small adapter will be available to plug incompatible headphones into the iPhone 7.
To save everyone who feels like crying because of innovation.

You call this innovation?

I currently use an LG Volt and sync it wirelessly with a couple of different earbuds (and a vehicle).

Apple doesn't innovate. They meter out mundane features like misers.

But sure....why not. People can spend an additional $19.99 on an adapter that, if they'd buy an Android phone, they wouldn't need.

LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I doubt the sound quality is as good as a wired headphone, all the high quality professional headphone manufacturers use wired, if wireless headphones were equal/better than wired they would have jumped on that already.

wireless headphones are not new so Apple isn't innovating anything here, they are just restricting their phones even more, while it is still speculation, as the article mentions it is possible they won't even bundle wireless headphones with the phone(if they do, it will be something terrible) and you will have to buy one which is no doubt overpriced.

as usual you can get an adapter which will cost 30$ if not more, amazing, and where will this adapter connect? into the charger port? where else? as if having to connect an adapter to listen to music isn't inconvenient enough you can't charge your phone either while doing it, apple "innovation".

And naturally you have to charge the headphones too, more inconvenience, enjoy some music and bam no battery on headphones when you are not home and you used up all the juice from the "charger case", no more music for you.

it if it ain't broke don't fix it.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Cash grab. There was no reason for them to move to that charger standard when the entire world was using microUSB.

One of the main reason why I despise Apple and would never give them a dime of my money

They have the most loyal customers of almost any product in the world, and the only rewards they give their costumers, is a kick in the teeth, while sticking their hands as far into their pockets as they can get them.

Just Google "How Apple Screws Its Customers", it is such a well know practice by Apple, that I am surprised at how many of their costumers stay with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join