It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No headphones for the iPhone 7?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
For some reason, this annoys me.

I think this is the rumour stages only at the moment, but it appears that Apple are getting the nerf bat out on headphones and tying their product to Beats ear buds (wireless).

www.stuff.tv...

In my opinion, this is going to hurt third party manufacturers and, if it comes to fruition, my next mobile won't come from Apple. I suppose third parties will overcome the obstacle at some point but I, personally, find this an unfair move.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
They are trying to be ahead of the rest when it comes to technology. However it is hard for people to accept change, especially if they are happy with what they are currently using. I think we will have to ride the wave with technology. It is going to change so much and so fast in the coming years. Once this technology gets used other companies will adopt it and then you will not be able to use your old headphones anymore. It is just how it seems to go now.

Of course people will complain and be uncomfortable with the changes. But they will still push them anyway, no matter what people think. They bring out new designs and push new technology above what people truly desire and want.

Who knows you might grow to like the new ear buds?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mmirror

They are trying to be ahead of the rest

NO

they are trying to create a captive market .

i currently have 7 devices that all communicate and or charge throught a standard micro USB

my mate and his wife have 2 iphones - that need different chargers // cable

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A small adapter will be available to plug incompatible headphones into the iPhone 7.
To save everyone who feels like crying because of innovation.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

They are however also considering waterproofing the device.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
People still buy Apple?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapTheGinkels
People still buy Apple?

smart people to say the least

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I remember seeing something a while back about how "certain people" were bellyaching over how headphones can (and often do) cause hearing loss over time. They were apparently all worried and bothered over how many people are using headphones and how often these days.

So right there I started thinking about money. I mean, it's usually the simplest answer, right? Who stands to lose money from people wearing out their ears with headphones? Who else? Government and insurance companies.

So my guess is they're baby stepping it towards making the use of headphones more of a PITA. And possibly making headphone technology proprietary so that it's not possible to listen to them at high volumes. And of course that might also sort of insulate companies against some possible lawsuits.

I can't think of any other good reason for it. Unless you just want to argue that it's Apple being stupid. And they're clearly not.
edit on 11-1-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

I suppose (if this is true), then the connection to headphones would be through bluetooth?

If that's true, then your phone's battery will drain faster while listening to music wit the headphones, because bluetooth uses relatively more power than a wired headphone jack.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
A small adapter will be available to plug incompatible headphones into the iPhone 7.
To save everyone who feels like crying because of innovation.

That's not innovation, that's a cash grab by Apple, just like the lightning chargers were. There is nothing 'innovative' about wireless headphones, they exist right now.

A manufacturer forcing it's consumers who purchase their products ( at a huge premium as well)into buying ridiculous adapters for backwards compatibility with existing hardware, is nothing but them attempting to raise their stock prices via sale of proprietary hardware.

Besides, Apple is always years behind the innovation curve. Take any Android device released between 2012 and today and you'll see that they were most, if not all much further ahead in terms of capability than any of the Iphones available at the time.

~Tenth
edit on 1/11/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

How is it a cash grab when they supply you with a lightning cable when you purchase the phone? And they will supply you with earbuds that will have the lightning connector if you purchase an iPhone 7... ?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I agree with Tenth and some of the above posters, not including a headphone jack is an attempt at creating a captive market for their headsets and adapters. For some reason, they also decided to make their phone chargers a different size than the standard micro USB.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor

How is it a cash grab when they supply you with a lightning cable when you purchase the phone? And they will supply you with earbuds that will have the lightning connector if you purchase an iPhone 7... ?

How many people do you know that only have a SINGLE charger for their phone?

Personally I have several, because I travel and I have one for my vehicle and for many other reasons. After having purchased that new piece of hardware, suddenly ALL of my peripherals are useless, unless I had purchased an additional adapter or additional chargers.

Cash grab. There was no reason for them to move to that charger standard when the entire world was using microUSB.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

its NOT inovation - to demonstrate this - will the new headphones work with an IPAD2 ???????????????

or is another adaptor required ???????????????

face it - the industry std phono jack has been with us for over 30 years [ cassette sony walkman and all latter productes except apple ]

PS - let me guess - the " new " adaptor to allow apple compatability with industry standards will only be availiable from apple - right ?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrow

If possible Apple would eliminate every third party application, cable, earplugs or whatever.
Another important thing, Apple doesn't care what you think (thats the most important rule), get in line or get the hell out.
edit on 11-1-2016 by Danowski because: typooo

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Persistent use of headphones for long duration can certainly cause permanent hearing damage unless great care is taken over moderating the volume. This isn't a conspiracy, it's biology.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here's another potential issue to consider (other that the "bluetooth headphones drain the phone battery faster" issue I mention above)...

Many people who listen to music in their car via their iPhone have older cars that do not have bluetooth capability. Many of those older cars have an "AUX" connection that is achieved by connecting the radio via cable to the headphone jack.

It will no longer be possible to use that "AUX" cable connection to your car sound system. Of course, bluetooth is becoming standard in newer cars, but it's not ubiquitous yet.

edit on 1/11/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Why use corded headphones? when Bluetooth lets me sit my phone down and walk away. Bluetooth headsets are cheap and some are really good. Cut the cord.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

But one can buy a Bluetooth plug for the aux power plug that will work on RF.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
Why use corded headphones? when Bluetooth lets me sit my phone down and walk away. Bluetooth headsets are cheap and some are really good. Cut the cord.

Hardcore music folk will tell you that sound over cable is better than transmitted wirelessly.

I don't know the technical details enough to know if it's that true, but I've been told that by my musician friends.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join