It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Don't forget that Ren took a blaster shot from Chewbacca's bowcaster

Maybe my favorite moment from TFA.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Only paid once also.
I made a trip to star wars part of "my life my goals" for my dudes
They all wanted to see it and I even got dressed up twice

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
They all wanted to see it and I even got dressed up twice

How did you look in the slave bikini? Did you at least wax first or was it a Chewie/Leia mashup costume?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
Maybe my favorite moment from TFA.

I liked the scenes with Han and Finn plus the final scene.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sorry but as far I'm concerned as long there is no evidence that Jedi's possess the ability to erase or hide a person memories (if it exists in the extended universe it has no place in the films as Disney have said they won't be using EU material) which goes far further than a simple mind trick then there's no evidence presented from the films that Rey HAS had any previous training, therefore the logical conclusion is she hasn't had any training. Not to mention if you're proposing that Luke has erased her memory, let us not forget he is only a Jedi Knight, not a Master so is not on the same adeptness of Obi Wan or Yoda yet

It's not my fault through copying A New Hope they left little room to include a back story and instead left it as an unanswered question in order to draw in both disappointed & happy fans for the next episode by having those questions answered.

Going from the title of the film I'd argue that she has no prior experience with the force and it has awoken with her to make her the overpowered heroine she is, why else would the film be called The Force Awakens and why else would Snokes say "There has been an awakening, can you feel it ?"

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Sorry but as far I'm concerned as long there is no evidence that Jedi's possess the ability to erase or hide a person memories (if it exists in the extended universe it has no place in the films as Disney have said they won't be using EU material) which goes far further than a simple mind trick then there's no evidence presented from the films that Rey HAS had any previous training, therefore the logical conclusion is she hasn't had any training.

Have you read the screenplay? The final scene gives direction that Luke 'doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here.' What does that tell you?

Not to mention if you're proposing that Luke has erased her memory, let us not forget he is only a Jedi Knight, not a Master so is not on the same adeptness of Obi Wan or Yoda yet

The only thing I am proposing is to wait for the 8th film since it is going to address her backstory.

Going from the title of the film I'd argue that she has no prior experience with the force and it has awoken with her to make her the overpowered heroine she is, why else would the film be called The Force Awakens and why else would Snokes say "There has been an awakening, can you feel it ?"

Having no prior experience with the force does not mean one does not rise to become the hero. Look at look who spent all of one day learning about the force before he blew up the Death Star by using the force.

edit on 4-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Luke had better be a master by now, he was training Jedi and spent 30 years growing his beard, he even did the slow mo taking off his hood thing which is a definite sign.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

You're clutching at straws

Why does a viewer have to read the screenplay to understand the film ? If reading the screenplay is needed to understand parts of the film then it's not a very well written film now is it ?

The whole "Luke 'doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here.' " could have a few reasons it's not mutually exclusive to Luke previously knowing/training her, it could equally imply he knows who she is because he's force sensitive, the same way Obi Wan felt the people on Alderaan dieing, the same way Yoda feels all Jedi dieing, the same way Leia felt Han dieing. One doesn't have to see or be present when it comes to the force, one just has to "feel"

And you keep using the death star instance, it's written into the film how it's believable why Luke achieves that feat re: his reference to shooting whomp rats, it's exactly why that line is in the script to help the viewer believe what he does is possible. We don't have any reference or lines within TFA to believe in Rey's super powers apart from her visions which could be anything as they are not explained.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Why does a viewer have to read the screenplay to understand the film ? If reading the screenplay is needed to understand parts of the film then it's not a very well written film now is it ?

Because it gives additional detail that may or may not ever get released due to the length of the film. It is also in the novelization.

The whole "Luke 'doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here.' " could have a few reasons it's not mutually exclusive to Luke previously knowing/training her, it could equally imply he knows who she is because he's force sensitive, the same way Obi Wan felt the people on Alderaan dieing, the same way Yoda feels all Jedi dieing, the same way Leia felt Han dieing. One doesn't have to see or be present when it comes to the force, one just has to "feel"

Once again, this is the saga of the Skywalker family. If you do not think she is related in some capacity then I do not know what to tell you.

And you keep using the death star instance, it's written into the film how it's believable why Luke achieves that feat re: his reference to shooting whomp rats, it's exactly why that line is in the script to help the viewer believe what he does is possible.

He still needed to do so by using the force, which he found out about approximately 24 hours previously.

We don't have any reference or lines within TFA to believe in Rey's super powers apart from her visions which could be anything as they are not explained.

The visions include direction from Obi Wan, 'Rey, these are your first steps'. Also, the screenplay makes it clear that Ren was weakened when he killed his father, leaving him more vulnerable to her attack.

It all comes down to the first rule of visual storytelling; show, do not tell.

edit on 4-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Ok I get it, for you watching a film includes reading the screenplay/novel and following the director/producer on the web to find out their intentions.

For most, watching a film, is just that. Not our fault if the film leaves out key components to help the viewer believe what they're seeing is believable which results in threads like this

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Ok I get it, for you watching a film includes reading the screenplay/novel and following the director/producer on the web to find out their intentions.

Have you read The Godfather? That is around 400 pages and they still could not get all the detail into nearly 6 1/2 hours of film. There are also subtleties of a particular scene that may be missed in viewing that the novelization or screenplay shed more light on.

For most, watching a film, is just that. Not our fault if the film leaves out key components to help the viewer believe what they're seeing is believable which results in threads like this

Frankly I am glad this film makes people talk about it, it is better than watching some s*** Transformers film which is geared towards the least common denominator and leaves nothing of any substance to discuss after viewing. The fact that Kasdan and Abrams created some mystery is a huge positive and is very reminiscent of the buzz between IV and V.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

and it's not our fault that you watch a movie and never ask a single question outside the parameters of the film. What is in the screenplay (or in a book that is too lengthy for a single film) IS canon. Now...if you were simply saying, "I am only watching the movie, and I have questions..." then cool.

The problem here is you are making statements that Augustus is explaining to you using book/screenplay/whatever that is also canon. If you want to ignore that, it's perfectly acceptable. If you want to ignore that, yet still complain about something that he is clearing up for you...then I am lost on a response to that

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Plus he has insider info.
I btw am attempting to be in one star wars movie as an extra.
If it kills me.
A stormtroopers I hope

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I also don't get why people are so concerned that we are getting female heroins, when history is full of them. It's about time they had representation onscreen.
The biggest movie going demographic in the world is now women. Since 2009 they account for 52% of the movie going audience, whereas previously it was young males that were the biggest movie going demographic.
So the movie studios have to readjust to cater for their new movie going audience and as a result we are finding more women being featured as strong characters and rightly so.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So we are complaining because a female character is the hero? has the power?

... its a movie.. its not real and its made for entertainment value.

Do people really waste their time coming up with these threads?

*hangs head*... what a pitiful bunch we've become when a female has the lead.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Yeah Joan of arc and my dear ole mum springs to mind

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: daaskapital
I don't care that Rey is female, i care that she is relatively overpowered as a character.

She got captured and if it were not for Han, Chewie and Finn returning with the Falcon she may have been stuck there.

That doesn't negate the fact that she can use the force 30 minutes after being told of its existence and successfully wield a lightsaber against someone professionally trained in its use.

Yeah, she got into precarious situations, but she's still relatively overpowered.
edit on 4-1-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

The force awakened...
It is going to be 3 movies we have no idea on how and why.
But we will and I bet we go "ah that's why".

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: daaskapital

The force awakened...
It is going to be 3 movies we have no idea on how and why.
But we will and I bet we go "ah that's why".

I know. I just hope the explanation isn't as poor as 'amnesia' or something.

While i expect there to be a reasoning as to why Rey is greatly attuned with the force, i think it is odd that she went from not knowing what it is and how it works, to manipulating people, blocking out intrusions in her mind and force pulling objects in a short time span. That stuff took a fair bit of time with Anakin and Luke, who both needed professional training and guidance. Rey may have been trained some time in the past, but even if it's true, she clearly hasn't been taught how to wield a lightsaber or use the force in quite a while.

edit on 5-1-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
That doesn't negate the fact that she can use the force 30 minutes after being told of its existence and successfully wield a lightsaber against someone professionally trained in its use.

Luke was able to use the force the same day he learned about to destroy an entire space station.

Yeah, she got into precarious situations, but she's still relatively overpowered.

Just like everyone else in her family.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join