It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I can't say whether it was done intentionally but...

1. The female protagonist is a naturally great pilot. With no training or experience she's as good as anyone we've seen at piloting the Millennium Falcon.

2. The female protagonist has more powerful mind tricks than anyone else in the movie (possibly in the history of Star Wars), with no training or experience

3. The female protagonist can naturally resist the mind tricks of a Sith Lord, with no training or experience

4. The female protagonist can hold her own in a lightsaber battle with a Sith Lord, with no training or experience

5. The female protagonist is naturally awesome with a laser blaster, with no training or experience

6. The female protagonist is naturally brilliant at everything and she has no weaknesses

7. The female protagonist doesn't need anybody's help, she's better than everyone else at everything anyway

I wouldn't be surprised if in Episode 8 we see Rey (the female protagonist) teaching Luke Skywalker about how to be a Jedi, that would be the icing on the cake.

The following is not my idea, I heard it somewhere else but I agree. "The Force Awakens" encompasses what feminism has come to mean:

Females should get everything handed to them for free because females are naturally superior.

It's too bad that this movie will probably only exacerbate the delusion of a lot of young women.
edit on 2-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

There are a lot of fan discussions on the internet as to why she might have these skills. I don't think this is propaganda of any kind.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I don't even waste my time with Hollywood crap anymore. It has become nothing but propaganda and a unrealistic view of the world.

edit on 2-1-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: Removed excessive quote. Please don't quote the entire OP.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

So you've seen the movie?

You copy and pasted someone else's blog or whatever without giving credit or links (T&C violation).

On a sidenote:

Your stats? What's up with that and how does that happen?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Personally, I think she's Luke's daughter (but she doesn't know it). That would explain all the Jedi powers she has. I think we will find out that she has known for a while she has powers, and has been practicing them. She just doesn't know how she got those powers.

Stay tuned for future story developments in the next movies. They're coming!

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Oh, last thread I herd the Rebels were Isis.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask

originally posted by: Profusion

I don't even waste my time with Hollywood crap anymore. It has become nothing but propaganda and a unrealistic view of the world.

The world? It is a fake world. It is fiction. It has nothing to do with this world. At least this movie.
edit on 2-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well, I love women, so I don't care.

It's about time they start to get equal treatment in the films. I mean, I hear no one complaining about the face that all Jedi to date have been men - or strange rubber dwarfs with a male aspect. Even the Wookie is male, I think.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

edit on 1/2/2016 by Klassified because: Whatever

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

How many movies have we seen in which the hero is a male character with the same awesome qualities as that female character you speak about ? It's the same fantasy routine whether it's a man or a woman.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Propaganda or not he's right when it comes to Reys "godmode" I was talking about with my cousin after he brought it up and how silly it seemed that she was automatically good at everything she did

Kind of ruined the film a little bit due to her having no seeming weaknesses but I guess thanks to the PC world and Social Justice Warriors there would be hell to play if a woman was portrayed as having a weakness.

But it's not like Kylo Ren seemed threatening as a villain when he was portrayed as a petulant emo child with anger issues so it's no wonder he got beat by Rey

As much as I enjoyed TFA for the eye candy in 3d I do have to concede it felt more like a New Hope meets Dawsons Creek than a full on Star Wars film BUT we'd been starved of a decent Star Wars for so long it was better than nothing
edit on 2/1/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
SPOLIERS.

originally posted by: Profusion
1. The female protagonist is a naturally great pilot. With no training or experience she's as good as anyone we've seen at piloting the Millennium Falcon.

She makes it clear earlier that she is a pilot.

2. The female protagonist has more powerful mind tricks than anyone else in the movie (possibly in the history of Star Wars), with no training or experience

How do we know her back story, training and familial lineage? None of that was revealed in this film.

3. The female protagonist can naturally resist the mind tricks of a Sith Lord, with no training or experience

See above.

4. The female protagonist can hold her own in a lightsaber battle with a Sith Lord, with no training or experience

See above and Kylo Ren was not a Sith.

5. The female protagonist is naturally awesome with a laser blaster, with no training or experience

Storm troopers always miss, this is a well establish fact.

6. The female protagonist is naturally brilliant at everything and she has no weaknesses

Why did she run off into the woods without the light saber if she was without weakness?

7. The female protagonist doesn't need anybody's help, she's better than everyone else at everything anyway

How would she have gotten off Starkiller Base if Han, Chewbacca and Finn did not come to rescue her?

edit on 2-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

It's too bad that this movie will probably only exacerbate the delusion of a lot of young women.

It seems you're hedging your bets on females actually taking a Hollywood movie about space wars all too seriously...

Maybe in the schizophrenic community, but I don't see desk job Daisy trying to use Jedi Mind Tricks though...
Or getting into a sword fight with Bigfoot to back her up.

Overall, what's your problem with women being powerful?

Would you have said all this if it was a Male protagonist or are you just being misogynistic?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

How many movies have we seen in which the hero is a male character with the same awesome qualities as that female character you speak about ? It's the same fantasy routine whether it's a man or a woman.

You have to put it into the context of "Star Wars"...

A huge part of the plot of all the films is how hard it is learn to become a Jedi or a Sith, to learn how to master the force.

That's why I'm calling it feminist propaganda. "The Force Awakens" has almost a subliminal message IMHO, the female didn't need to do what the males did. Again, it's the basis of feminism today in my opinion.

And, outside of superhero films and silly movies such as the James Bond films, I can't think of a movie where a character is like what you're describing. I mean, if "Star Wars" under Disney is going to be a bunch of silly movies like the James Bond films, that's a soul-crushing disappointment to me personally. It looks like it is going in that direction though.

originally posted by: Kukri

So you've seen the movie?

You copy and pasted someone else's blog or whatever without giving credit or links (T&C violation).

On a sidenote:

Your stats? What's up with that and how does that happen?

I didn't copy any of the original post. It's not all my own ideas but your claims above are wrong.

As for my stats, this is my 172nd thread. If you had that many threads you'd have nice stats too.

edit on 2-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I stopped reading when you mentioned a Sith Lord.
Which character was your Sith Lord of are you just assuming it is the protagonist?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Please expound on this, oh wise one.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This movie is just a rehash of the previous movies' storylines.

* Give important data to robot that runs off into desert. (Star War 4)
* Rescue girl from enemy base. (Star Wars 4)
* Destroy giant death star/planet.(Star Wars 4 & 6)
* Sneak into enemy base to turn off shields to blow up enemy base. (Star Wars 6)
* Attack one point to destroy enemy base. (Star Wars 4)
* Run off to old allies for help. (Star Wars 5)

I sure other people can name more.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hey, has anyone seen my Red Pill?
Oh. Hey, OP, give it back! Noooo, no swallowing!

*damn*

Okay, to be serious: There was nothing in this movie to present women as superior to men. Just the usual "we are jedi, we can do things, even if not trained properly right now!"

Nothing unusual. Just spared us the time with the wise old wizar.. *jedi master.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Anakin, Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine... all Jedi and Sith, things came easy for all of them. Amazingly good at anything. Smart, charismatic, piloting, politics, physical combat, ranged combat, surviving in extreme environments with nothing, unnatural intuition. What do they all have in common? A strong connection to the Force, why should Rey be any different?

It's an epic fantasy realm where anyone, children, male, female, 2 foot tall aliens and gigantic aliens can be equal in connection to a mysterious force that gives them unlimited powers.

This blogger is a massive idiot. Can't say what that makes anyone who takes his/her (equality you know) bait.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

She's a Jedi.

Deal with it.

And in case you didn't notice. She lived in a hell hole desert since she was a kid. And she had to scavenge every day for junk just so she could get some meager rations to eat. It's pretty clear that she wasn't given anything for free. She had to work pretty hard for what she got.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join