It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of Relocating My Family

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: solongandgoodnight

They aren't as close as you'd imagine. In 2008 until now I could find a well paying job at any time (greater than $20/hour) with no particular work background (in central Alberta).

Housing prices in the States vs Canada is always been quite different. Although, as with anywhere else, it varies from location to location. In a major city, my house is a 750 sq/f detached garage for $260k. Outside of the city the same house would be $150 or less. and in other parts of the country, it could go for $80k.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
My recommendation is biased considering the fact I'm Canadian and love my home and native land. I'm a T.Dot (Toronto) native, but always find myself in this part of Canada twice a year -Newfoundland and Labrador - because it speaks to my soul.

I suggest Newfoundland and Labrador based on your words below and the fact I personally entertain the idea of raising a family there myself:

I want the best possible future for my children.

Btw, even if you actually do not mean to uproot and leave America, I strongly recommend a visit to scope out the scenery and lifestyle for yourself. I guarantee this vay-kay to NewFoundland and Labrador would add to the currency of your life.

Can you smell the salty fresh air?

Here's 3:04 seconds of heaven on Earth (my home away from home):

edit on 9-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Canada is an option for you. But I hope you revel in high taxes, Quebec bitching and line ups for our free healthcare.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
New Zealand would be the place to go. Its government is the least corrupt in the whole world and their economy is great. Their economy is built around market openness and free trade. They have a very high standard of living and low rates of poverty.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'm currently saving money to move to South America.

A few friends of mine are as well.

We are tired of the selfish materialist culture and the government intrusion and everything happening in this craphole.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight

originally posted by: MrSpad
Here would be the problem, if there really was a US economic collapse coming then it would bring the entire worlds economies crashing as well. So nowhere would be good, in particular if you were a foreigner taking up a job now desperately needed by a local. That would get ugly. Not that is this very likely. The US economy is so massive it can survive just about anything.

Is every country truly effected negatively by an economic fallout from the U.S.?
For example South American countries, or a country like New Zealand.

Really asking

Absolutely. The collapse of the US would lead to a collapse in the EU, China, Japan, India. Brazil, Mexico, Canada and most other major economies and so it would go like dominoes. The 20 largest trading partners of the US would bring down Asia and Europe alone. On top of that the US is largest trade partner for 68 nations in mostly Africa, Central/South America, The Caribbean and Asia. So you have 100 plus nations losing one of their most vital trade partners. This is what I mean when I say the US economy is so huge 22% of the global GDP that is almost a quarter of the entire planets economy. So a total US economic collapse would lead to a total and compete global collapse. However the massive size of that economy makes such a think almost impossible.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I would want to be somewhere warm so you could grow food crops year-round, and would not be spending most of your time trying to stay warm. A remote area on a large land mass pretty much means central or South America. Unfortunately I don't live there.
edit on 9 8 2015 by Lodestone because: spelling

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

The economy and the very fabric of the country is falling apart. Fiat currencies are backed by faith......Look around the faith is wearing off and wearing off faster as time goes by. TPTB control us using fiat currencies and debt based systems they control with central banking and funny games in the stock market. The value of the stock today is nothing more than illusions and a epic shell game. In the future we will no longer be able to service our national debt and rampant inflation will come a knocking. Look at car companies....10 year car loans....Hmm why so long. Look at your grocery bill week to week. Wages remain the same and inflation eats 5-10% of your wages each and every year.

Bottom line.....Short term...Who knows......Long term.....It will fail. This will be a global crash and epic beyond belief.
edit on 9-8-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Here would be the problem, if there really was a US economic collapse coming then it would bring the entire worlds economies crashing as well. So nowhere would be good, in particular if you were a foreigner taking up a job now desperately needed by a local. That would get ugly. Not that is this very likely. The US economy is so massive it can survive just about anything.

Is every country truly effected negatively by an economic fallout from the U.S.?

Really asking

Absolutely. The collapse of the US would lead to a collapse in the EU, China, Japan, India. Brazil, Mexico, Canada and most other major economies and so it would go like dominoes. The 20 largest trading partners of the US would bring down Asia and Europe alone. On top of that the US is largest trade partner for 68 nations in mostly Africa, Central/South America, The Caribbean and Asia. So you have 100 plus nations losing one of their most vital trade partners. This is what I mean when I say the US economy is so huge 22% of the global GDP that is almost a quarter of the entire planets economy. So a total US economic collapse would lead to a total and compete global collapse. However the massive size of that economy makes such a think almost impossible.
Say the impossible happens, which I believe it will since history repeats itself, which country would be left in the best economic state?

When I research it, I keep coming up with New Zealand. Problem is, I know about oilfield downhole pumps and oilfield supplies. I can't find much info about the oilfield there.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not sure where you're located now but maybe leaving the US isn't the answer. Just depends on what you value really. Maybe another area the country, despite the national issues, would work better? I say that because of and for example Second Amendment rights(if that's what you're concerned for), which you can't really find in most other places. I can offer opinion on locations if interested in the Northwest US.

As mentioned prior, if the US collapses, so will others. Might be better protected here.

Best of luck!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Economics is a global time bomb. You won't find a country where the bank is required to actually have your money on hand and available to you no matter what. You won't find a country where the price of oil does can never influence the productivity of the oil industry.

If you otherwise have a good life, instead of abandoning it in hopes of avoiding what may be inevitable perhaps you would be well advised to reinforce your existing life against potential problems.

Compared to Europe, taxes in America will allow you more savings to build self sufficiency or "prep" (and you don't want to be in a US dependent South American or Mid Eastern nation when the US dollar fails because their governments will go with it). Compared to most places in the world, the US allows more places where you can live without heat or cooling year round. Compared to most places the US has more wilderness you could poach on if it came down to not being able to feed your family. You may be considerably more able to arrange mutually beneficial cooperation or seek help in hard times in your native land. The list goes on.

So I would think about what you consider the most likely dangers in the most likely scenarios and plan from there.

If I believed economic collapse were a matter of if not when, I'd be concerned about availability of necessities in stores, my ability to afford them, the possibility of losing utility services or my home, losing my vehicle, not being able to find any kind of work, and crime, to name a few top things.

So I'd probably relocate away from any metropolitan area, to a reasonably low population and low land prices, somewhat isolated place that rarely gets snow and has a rich ecosystem, I'd buy rural land even if I could only afford it as an undeveloped second property to put a trailer on if the worst should happen, I'd learn to produce a viable barter good that can be made with readily obtainable ingredients that could become a new trade if the regular economy let you down (alcohol, cannabis, rebuilt machines, clothing, venison, etc whatever suits you) and I'd join local organizations such as churches, gun clubs, social orders, etc and show my value while times are good.

My rationale would be to try and live a familiar comfortable life with a built in fall-back plan.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Damn. You're right, that place looks really great. Beautiful, calm, fresh, peaceful. How long until you're set up there because I'll need some inside help if I ever make it there myself.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There's always the French Foreign Legion lol

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Really asking

Say the impossible happens, which I believe it will since history repeats itself, which country would be left in the best economic state?

When I research it, I keep coming up with New Zealand. Problem is, I know about oilfield downhole pumps and oilfield supplies. I can't find much info about the oilfield there.

Some place without a modern economy. Although most of those place depend a great deal on US and Western aid. Honestly the US with its ability to produce massive amounts of food, it massive mineral rights, its massive gold reserves would likely bounce back quicker than anybody. The economic crash a decade ago would have destroyed most countries economies but, the huge size of the US economy meant any problem would only be short term. Let me put it this way. Lets say half the US economy went away overnight. Now out side of nuclear war that is pretty much impossible but, lets just go with it. Even then the US would be the second largest economy on earth more that twice the size of Japans who is in third and is hardy a poor nation. So honestly your best bet is China or the US even in the worst case scenario you end up twice as good as Japan now. I think it just hard to grasp the size of the US economy and how diversified and resilient it is.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

a reply to: Night Star
I will consider Canada, but I just assumed the U.S. and Canadian economies were very closely tied. Maybe not, I don't know. It's hard to see how they couldn't be.

They are linked closely....Go anywhere....The oil boom is everywhere now besides the USA....I feel your pain though, losing my job in the industry as well....Gas is dead brother!
edit on 8/10/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Here, here. I 100% agree and second your suggestions. In fact, a couple of years ago I moved my family away from the DC Metro area to Texas, for similar reasons. I have plenty of friends and contacts in hunting groups, tactical training groups, as well as private parcels of land we could head to if we ever needed to.

Plenty of wild hog, rattlesnake, deer, fish, etc. to survive on down here and if the US economy collapsed I believe Texas would be a safe(r) place to be.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If I were going to move to another country, any of the Scandinavian countries would be high on my list. Canada is ok but there are honestly multiple US states I would prefer to live in before Canada.

Australia I wouldn't be brave enough to live in. They have giant hissing spiders the size of your fist, that can jump 3 feet in the air.

You may want to just look at different states first. Travel from one US state to another is very easy and there's significant cultural differences from one to the other.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I live in Toronto, but I'm in Newfoundland and Labrador twice a year (have a very small shack out there). I'm 28, so it won't be for a while until I do move out there permanently... I would love to have you and your family as a neighbour when I do so - you seem very kind and warm. It's worth a visit for all, even if it's just once in a lifetime. Make sure you walk with your 'Best of Enya" collection to listen to as you gaze across the Atlantic sipping your morning tea at sunrise watching the whales breach the water. Also, Newfoundlanders are so down to earth and charming. Makes one feel as if they are in Hobbit land.

I once spent a summer out in Washington State, which is so beautiful as well! That is nice place to live in the States. Blakely Island in particular is gorgeous!!! Anywhere in the Pacific N.W resonates with me.

Here's some vision boards of Newfoundland and Labrador. I hope to see you there, my friend.

edit on 11-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join