It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Colour Is This Dress, ATS??? Genuine Social Experiment... Or Ultimate Troll Experiment???

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

What colour, is this dress???

I believe this must have to do with computer settings for brightness.

The first time I looked at the pic in the OP, it was white and gold.
I have my screen pretty bright.

I'm on my laptop, and as soon as I push the monitor back (instead of upright)...the dress becomes black and blue.

S&F for initially driving me insane lol.
jacygirl

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
1. The dress in question is white and gold.
2. This is a troll experiment. There is no doubt the dress is white and gold.
3. Anyone claiming it is black and blue, is not colour blind, they are just trolling.

And last, but certainly not least, 4. Why are we debating the colour of a dress? The FCC is about to take control of the internet, and people, in the millions, are debating the colour of a dress.

This is a perfect example at how and why are society is about to self-destruct. People follow trends on twitter so closely it disgusts me.

Maybe I'm just in a sour mood today, but this whole white gold dress thing has really got me upset, because of how idiotic it is, and by continuing to talk about it were all just feeding this fire.

Even if half of the people who spent any time talking about this completely useless subject put some kind of effort in to talking about something meaningful, the world would be changed forever.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ahh, curse this thing, once you see it there's no going back! No really I think it has a lot to do with what colors you view before hand seeing the bad image of the dress to being male or female on average(seems that more men see the blue/black first off). Prior comments have better explanations of the rods and cones, etc., involved. Being a graphic designer(working in the digital medium) is why the difference in viewing interested me.

But hey the black/blue dress was sold out. A free(if even)Viral marketing campaign as a pointer for those in business and design.

originally posted by: acehigh91
3. Anyone claiming it is black and blue, is not colour blind, they are just trolling.

And last, but certainly not least, 4. Why are we debating the colour of a dress? The FCC is about to take control of the internet, and people, in the millions, are debating the colour of a dress.

This is a perfect example at how and why are society is about to self-destruct. People follow trends on twitter so closely it disgusts me.

Maybe I'm just in a sour mood today, but this whole white gold dress thing has really got me upset, because of how idiotic it is, and by continuing to talk about it were all just feeding this fire.

Even if half of the people who spent any time talking about this completely useless subject put some kind of effort in to talking about something meaningful, the world would be changed forever.

Nah, you have a point there. The collective to go into this rather viral marketing scheme paid off for the dress makers. The mass amount of people following, imagine if they came together for something more. While picking colors that they see is much easier than debating Politics(more than just agenda memes).

On one hand neutrality passed, whether one believes that is a good thing or not, there is still internet legislation in the works meant to take away privacy, rights and more. Maybe TPTB will a) see less concern for more control because people are focused on things like this dress b) see how much easier control can be overall when throwing out a viral campaign-Kony backfired by itself apparently, can't say the same for some others at this point.

edit on 27-2-2015 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

So, what's the verdict?

edit on 27-2-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: acehigh91

Whilst I agree with your assessment of society as a whole... I genuinely see blue and black now.. not trolling at all.

Weird and fun.. just a little deviation from the monotony of life.. no harm done.
edit on Feb245428America/ChicagoFri, 27 Feb 2015 13:24:54 -0600_8502428 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

You know, I really didnt think this was anything but yesterday I saw white and gold......now its blue and balck

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mister_Bit

That's it! *loads shotgun*

Bout to go on some 'Taxi Driver' style cleanse of the earth, starting with you!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Blue and Gold.... for sure

Science has an explanation.

Almost half of the human brain is devoted to processing visual information. What we perceive as color is the result of five factors that are compounded together. In the case of the dress, the first is the dress’s material, including the pigments it contains and how much light it reflects.

The second factor is the nature of light in which the object is viewed. An object will appear to be red whether it is in direct light, in phosphorescent light or even in fading twilight. Indeed, our brain does a lot of work to make sure we still see it as red, no matter what the illumination.

Scientists call this trait color constancy. It has helped our species to evolve. “You need to decide whether an apple is ripe to eat, whether it’s sunny or gray,” said Stefano Soatto, a professor of computer science who specializes in the science of vision at the University of California Los Angeles.

Another factor affecting color perception is the sensor involved—in this case, the sensor in the camera that took the picture. The display (computer screen) also has an effect. And finally, the retinal sensors and visual machinery of the brain also play a role in color perception.

edit on 27/2/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
We've just argued about this dress in my home, it's all over facebook. Out of three people one is seeing blue and brown, two are seeing gold and white. Same image, same computer, looking at it in the same time.

It just drives me crazy, how can we look at the same thing and see something different?
We made peace by concluding that is probably one of those smart optical illusions.
Then I came to ATS and see the dress again

Stay away from me, devil!
edit on 27-2-2015 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i see gold and white, but my wife sees blue and black. Ive officially got goose bumps.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I had some folks talking about this off twitter last night and it was obviously slate blue with charcoal trim... today, in sunlight, it's obviously white with gold trim... optics are funny beasts.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Thanks Gem. This has been bothering me. Wife was seeing blue & black I saw white & gold and now I see a paler blue and a dark brown. Weird.

😊
edit on 2722015 by Scallywwagg because: typo

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Dude, I am telling you guys, this is the single weirdest phenomenon I have ever experienced.

The thing gone viral and is all over the news right now.

What's interesting is that, we are genuinely getting difference answers. I swear, I'm not lying, we literally have husbands and wives going crazy over this debate.

Most of the people seeing "White & Gold" color are actually female. As far as on my tally book, females tend to see it as "White & Gold" colored.

I'm just scratching my head at this because my wife took a look at the same dress, without ANY prior knowledge to this incident, she SAID STRAIGHT to my face, it's "White & Gold" colored.

I got in office this morning, show the image to our Accounting lady, said "White & Gold".

Showed it to our boss' wife, who is like 58 years old, have absolutely no idea this whole viral image, takes a look at the dress and to my amazement, says it's "White & Gold" colored.

Now people have claimed due to different exposure settings, different screen contrast settings, people maybe seeing different colors, but in my opinion, this is not the case.

The image I showed to the people around me, clearly depicts a heavy Blue and Black color. How the ladies are able to look at BLUE and see WHITE, looks at the black strips and call it GOLD is seriously beyond me.

This is seriously like a episode of the Twilight Zone or something. I mean...

If you mistake a Heavy Red with Heavy Brown, I think that's ok and pretty common. If you mistaken a dark blue with dark purple, I think it's even ok. But you cannot mistaken White color to Blue or Black to Gold, that's like colors from the opposite side of the spectrum, how on earth could you possibly see it different? Unless you're color blind or something...

OMG, this thing is literally driving me nuts.

Weirdest thing is most people claiming White & Gold around me, are all females. I have yet to meet one guy near me who claims that this dress is "White & Gold".

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: acehigh91

It's really horrifying to think about the time I've spent looking and talking about this dress today. It's evident from my participation in this thread. But - as I said before - if/when the penny drops, the effect is amazing. Mind Blown.

I was in your shoes early this morning, when I first saw the photo. My exact words to a colleague were "How the **** can anyone confuse that for a different color? It is clearly white and gold! People that see blue and black are nuts!"
And she agreed.

Then later I saw the photo of the dress again, while scrolling UP on a page and Boom it changed colors to blue and black. And that moment, is the moment I wish to share with everyone. The moment you realize that you cannot believe your eyes. One moment you believe something to be 100% true, and then without warning the truth is no longer true.

We all love optical illusions. It's cool and easy to understand how our eyes are tricked. But this is a level above just another optical illusion. When your brain goes "wonk" and changes the colors of an object. And that's what gets me excited. The actual effect a simple blue and black dress can have on the human eye and brain. And that's why I'm trying my best to get other people to see the colors change - because once you see it, you'll understand exactly what I 'm on about (as well as the rest of the Internet...
)

Secondly. This is much for fun, interesting and unusual than the usual gun control, Obama is the demon seed of Hitler and Bin Laden, Russia and ISIS stuff.

As stupid as it sounds - and probably is - I had fun with the dress today. Even more than I could've had with two llamas.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
at first i saw white and gold.

if you look to the right of the dress it's obviously that the picture is incredibly blown out with light, which seems to be effecting the color perception. but, color perception changes based on what colors are involved in the background/foreground.

anyway, i've found that if you look at the picture and scroll down so that you are only viewing the bottom inch of the picture in the top of the browser window it's easier to tell that it is indeed blue & black. but, if the picture is viewed in it's entirety its easier to see it as white & gold because of the parts that are blown out with white/yellow. though now that i know the dress is indeed blue & black its hard to see it as otherwise.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Also wanted to add this is an exercise in relativism and a lesson for all to open the mental door for all possibilities... we only experience what we think we do and we are all programmable to a degree.

Perspective and relativity... the most important observations that tell us observations are fallible... er...uh, wait.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
So the perception of the color depends on if we believe that either :

1-The light in the background is the sun. So it appears White and Gold.
2-The picture is washed out by the flash. So it appears Blue and Black.

To me, the background light is the sun and just like taking a picture of someone with the sun behind. So I see White and Gold.

What ever, when someone knows about photography, they wouldn't take a picture with a big source of light in the background or with a non appropriate flash.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
My wife pointed the picture out and told me the background. Her and I both seen gold/white in all the pictures we looked at. Later I looked at the below linked site and the last picture switched me over to seeing blue/black. Weird feeling. Later I showed the site to my wife and she was switched to black/blue also. Later on she started to see it as tan/white/gold.
Apparently it is a blue/black dress according to the source.
www.vice.com...
edit on 2/27/2015 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
The dress is most definitely blue and black.

However, the picture of it seems to be washed out, and the hue and saturation of the image causes the black to have a slight gold tint to it in some parts, and the blue part of the dress seems to be somewhat reflective so I see white highlights here and there. This may be fooling peoples minds, or their eyes have trouble with hue, which is a common problem.

But since my eyes are able to see that it is a washed out image, and hue and saturation is bad, I know it is blue and black dress.

If you all truly see white and gold, you may have hue / saturation problems with your eyes.

How about everyone take this hue eye test:

www.xrite.com...

I have a theory that everyone who sees white and gold will have a high score, and everyone who sees black and blue will have a low score.

I scored a 10. Which is on the low side. I see a blue and black dress.
I scored a 24 but I did it real quick and didn't take the time to make it perfect. I see white and gold.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
been following this since the beginning. saw black and blue dress all last night.

this morning i saw them talking about it on espn2 and they showed the dress and it was yellow and white. i was sure they were showing an altered version of it.

i reopened my browsers on my iPad and the same pics that were black and blue were now yellow and white! i took two snapshots and sent them to my brother, he saw black and brown

and then the same texts switched black to black and blue and i've seen black and blue ever since

it was the strangest thing i've ever experienced.

PS it's been proven that the dress in real life is blue and black. and the most disturbing part about briefly seeing the yellow and white dress was how natural it looked, it wasn't a reversed negative image!
edit on 27-2-2015 by oleus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join