It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: American Troops Fighting Ebola in Africa Won’t Be Given Full Protective Gear!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Only those that will be in contact with patients will need full gear. Ebola is not spread by magic death rays.

They are only building facilities and providing logistical support not getting hands on, at least non medical staff anyway. For the army medics they should and likely will be given full gear.

I think you are far too trusting about a disease that CDC and epidemiologists no little about!! The truth is they dont know entirely how it spreads!! Yes by body fluids but a piece of that puzzle is missing!!

For gosh sakes!! If it is so safe look at this headline from the wall street journal!

Many Liberian Doctors—Including President’s Son—Are Staying Away
As President of Ebola-Ravaged Country Pleads for Foreign Helpers, Her Physician Son Sends Aid from U.S.

You don't send your best troops to construct a freaking building!!!! it is absolutely stupid on Obama's part!! With as many potential conflicts in the world......you want the 82nd an 101st ready to go!! They are the best in unconventional warfare!!

Though not a fan of Obama I have to take exception at this. To care and PROTECT the USA any president would and should take the ebola outbreak seriously and do its his or her best at containing the outbreak at its source. Waiting until it hits America is reckless. Sure you can stop all travel to west Africa (I move I agree with) but it still could go to other country's and you cant travel ban the world without Fcking you economy up like its 1929.

You will not contain Ebola unless you IMPOSE A TRAVEL BAN (TEMPORARILY) AND STOP PEOPLE FROM COMING INTO USA FROM LIBERIA!! Nigeria has their Ebola problem almost eradicated!! Why is that? Because they shut down the border and said NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN OUR COUNTRY WHO IS COMING FROM INFECTED COUNTRIES IN WEST AFRICA!! AND THEY ENFORCED IT!!

Unless Obama does this, we are going to see more and more cases of EV in our country!! It is common sense, not rocket science! Obama does not give a rip about the US but believe he loves the Continent of AFRiCA!! He is proving to be more loyal to Africa than America!!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS!! Finally someone gets what I am saying about why is the 101st going!!!!!

And i did think about your idea regarding using them as enforcers of travel ban!! But here is a really crazy thought....

What if the idea is to get the best of our military sick and dying to make us utterly defenseless!! I don't believe that is what is going on but i am highly suspicious!!

Pax

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: paxnatus
I searched for 10 minutes to see if this topic had been posted, I came up with nothing! But if i missed it, my apologies!

If this is true, which it looks like it is, this is no different than Hitler loading trains to gas millions!!

According to military officials, our American troops that are being deployed to help with the Ebola crisis in Africa will not be receiving full protective gear as they travel to the Ebola-infected region of Africa.

Gen. David Rodriguez at a Pentagon briefing last week revealed the shocking news. According to Nashvillepublicradio.org,

Troops from the 101st Airborne Division leading the military response to Ebola in West Africa will only need gloves and masks to protect themselves from the deadly virus, so said Gen. David Rodriguez at a Pentagon briefing Wednesday.

“They don’t need the whole suit – as such – because they’re not going to be in contact with any of the people,” the commander of U.S. troops in Africa said.

Soldiers from the 101st Airborne will primarily be building hospitals, ultimately leading what could be a contingent of 4,000 American service members. They’ll be housed either in tent cities at military airfields or in Liberian Ministry of Defense facilities, Rodriguez said.

Soldiers’ health will be monitored through surveys and taking their temperature on their way in and out of camps. If a service member does get sick, Rodriguez said they will be flown home immediately for treatment.

Next week, the 101st Airborne will hold a traditional pre-deployment ceremony, known as a “color casing”, before departing for Liberia, though a handful of soldiers are already on the ground.
tpnn.com

Okay, this is MIND BLOWING!! They cannot be serious!! Who here, trusts this administration?? I am gonna try and find another link as well.....

Your thoughts, ATS??

Thanks,
Pax

Hi,

Well- suppose too-few/not enough answered "correctly" when asked if they'd shoot a fellow citizen/civilian?
Would these souls be of any use, are they yet needing more "training"? sarcasm-istinkat

...and, at what point will these troops begin to exercise critical judgment?

Maybe an effort can be made to achieve a few hundred or thousand? swimming pools everyone would have access to?

I ain't a fan of the liberties our troops extended to iraq/afghanistan/isis.

If we go there stomping on people's personal boundaries to rescue them...

Teach, and make it possible to bath first...something appreciable?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

Our troops do not run hap hazzardly into countries and impose themselves of their own free will. They are following orders from the Commander in chief.

When we went to Iraq it was to liberate the people from a horrific dictator that killed hundreds of thousands with chemical weapons!! And yes, as we found out last week Sadam had a huge stock pile and our Military took the fall for what the pentagon deemed classified!!

If Obozo had not pulled the troops out all at one time and had paid attention to the threat that ISIS was 4 years ago, then we would not have this crisis threatening the world now!!

So instead of sending in back up too support our Special Forces in Iraq Syria and Turkey, he sends the airborne assault team into Africa?? What a waste!!

Love guy, i am re reading your comments and i am confused what exactly are you saying?? can you please clarify for me. Thanks so much..

Pax

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
Ahh but what is being sent is a lot more than the engineers, are you saying that we need the rest there to protect them?

Support work and yes protection. I dont know how the US military works but in the UK most infantry are tarined in some sort of useful skill rather than to just be dumb kill bots.

And lets face it is Africa a American or European problem?

Both

Hence why the UK is right there with the USA, shame France and Germany have not seen the same logic.

What about Russia, China, India and South American countries?

Yes they should.

But just cause they are being deadbeats and refusing to pull there weight doesnt mean we should not do our part.

Its pretty retarded to do nothing and watch Ebola hit our shores just because we are upset china and russia wont pull its weight right?

Everyone loves to whine about American interventionism but that is what is happening in Africa.

Dont you get the deference between right and wrong?

When you do something stupid like invade or bomb a country on false pretexts and lies you get criticism. IE vietnam, Iraq ect

When you actually help in a real crisis IE WW2, Bosnia ect you get praise.

So what the lesson? dont do stupid things.

Anyway we are talking about fighting a disease not bombing people. Plus as I said it should be world interventionism. And as I stated just because the rest of the world is not , it would be pretty stupid to do nothing out of spite as it will just come back to bite you.

America is not the clean up crew for world problems.

No its not.

But this problem IS a American problem. A virus does not care who or what country you are.

We committed troops on foreign soil and reserves are being authorized as well? Like I said before and you dodged we cut our defense budget

Well thats a American problem not mine. But Ebola still a threat and you cant ignore it. Plus even if you cut your defence budget in half the USA is still the biggest military in the world. Its hardly a weak feeble kitten. If the UK which is about 1/10 of the USA military (and that's being optimistic of the UK ability's) plans to send 1000 men then the USA can send 3000.

and now are having to call up reserves to deal with what is not justa American problem.

Well again thats not my problem. My country's already there by your side. Id bitch to our French and German members on that account. But just because those deadbeats are not pulling there weight does not mean we should not as failure to act will only hurt us even more in the long run.

Awesome for the help from the UK but the rest of the world is endangered not just the US and Europe. All we get is complaints and criticism from the rest. Hell the UN is doing squat in getting these hospitals and such built, there is a waste of US money on who should be taking the lead.

I agree 100% it pissed me off too. But the virus does not care or give a dam.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I think you are far too trusting about a disease that CDC and epidemiologists no little about!! The truth is they dont know entirely how it spreads!! Yes by body fluids but a piece of that puzzle is missing!!

Maybe but I can hundred present say that its not spread by magic and unless the troops are planning on mixing with the infected or plan to eat and sleep in the local villages rather than field bases they are safe. Just keeping them separate from the local public will be enough of a precaution. A infected person a mile cant fart and solider gets its.

For gosh sakes!! If it is so safe look at this headline from the wall street journal!

As a Scientist myself I prefer not to get my facts or develop my opinions from some rag from new York.

You will not contain Ebola unless you IMPOSE A TRAVEL BAN (TEMPORARILY) AND STOP PEOPLE FROM COMING INTO USA FROM LIBERIA!! Nigeria has their Ebola problem almost eradicated!! Why is that? Because they shut down the border and said NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN OUR COUNTRY WHO IS COMING FROM INFECTED COUNTRIES IN WEST AFRICA!! AND THEY ENFORCED IT!!

You dont need to scream at me like some hysterical fish wife.

If you had bothered to actually read I a100% agree with West African travel bans BUT travel bans alone will not protect America. It needs a mixed approach.

Obama does not give a rip about the US but believe he loves the Continent of AFRiCA!! He is proving to be more loyal to Africa than America!!

Again africa is not a single country. Obama is supposedly Kenyan which is 7000 odd km from Liberia. It has about as much in common with Liberia as the USA has in common with Peru.
edit on 20-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

When we went to Iraq it was to liberate the people from a horrific dictator

Liberate heh?

Yeah great job you did there like in Vietnam

Sorry but the USA needs to know when to intervene and when not too.

It funny you will bomb the "freedom" into people when know one asks you too and happily support what resulted in the deaths of what is it now 500,000 civilians in Iraq? When Iraq was not a threat to USA citizens.

But ebola which DOES pose a risk to the USA and which the country's affected are asking for help that's bad?

You seem blinded by the RAR RAR USA propaganda BS.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus
I've been asking this question since I heard the announcement that they were being deployed. WHY? Why on earth would they send in the airborne assault team? There are whole units that are specifically trained in biological warfare decontamination techniques. These guys and gals aren't----period---they got 6 hours of lecture and demonstrations on how to put on and take off the hazmat suits that officials now say they won't even be getting!
Their mission has not been outlined even to the troops, at least nothing beyond what the first announcements from the White House: to build medical facilities and facilitate delivery of supplies. For that the army has whole units of logistics and transportation units, people who are trained in those specialties.
A friend of mine who is a civilian worker at Ft. Campbell says there is much confusion and anger at the base since this announcement. These troops have barely unpacked since their last deployment to Afghanistan and are confused about how they are qualified to "fight" ebola by building medical facilities, something for which they have zero training. His theory is a lot like yours, that these troops are being sent in like lab rats, without protection. If only 1% of them are infected, the available treatment beds in the US are filled.
I've written my Congress critters asking them these questions but have yet to hear back from any of them. I'm begging everyone to write their Congressional delegations and ask these questions. Why are we sending these highly trained combat troops on a humanitarian mission?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So this is where we are 4 Hours training Insufficient PPE and IF they get THEY get to die IN LIBERIA?
Who TREATS them NATO? Screw that.

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I dont know how the US military works but in the UK most infantry are tarined in some sort of useful skill rather than to just be dumb kill bots.

Perhaps then if you can drop the leftist rant long enough to be educated, you may learn something!

he 101st Airborne Division ("Screaming Eagles")[1]—is a U.S. Army modular light infantry division trained for air assault operations

These titles reflect the division's shift from airplanes as the primary method of delivering troops into combat, to the use of helicopters. Many current members of the 101st are graduates of the U.S. Army Air Assault School. Division headquarters is at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. In recent years, the division has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The division is one of the most highly decorated units in the U.S. Army.

The 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) was the first conventional unit to deploy in support of the American War on Terrorism. The 2d Brigade, "Strike", built around the 502d Infantry, was largely deployed to Kosovo on peacekeeping operations, with some elements of 3rd Battalion, 502nd, deploying after 9/11 as a security element in the U.S. CENTCOM AOR with the Fort Campbell-based 5th Special Forces Group. The division quickly deployed its 3rd Brigade, the 187th Infantry's Rakkasans, as the first conventional unit to fight as part of Operation Enduring Freedom.

There is so much more information about the 101st Airborne..... but trying to give you the point of view as to why this is very strange......

One more thing this so called "hysterical fishwife" LOL knows that most of our MIlitary men and women have more honor and integrity than you could ever hope to muster in your little finger.....Killer Bots?? You make me laugh!

What is your point about Kenya so many miles from Liberia.......Do you really think our President separates the different countries in Africa and is only loyal to Kenya??? Yeah! you probably do!! The point is genius, More loyal to ALL of Africa than America!!

wikipedia.org

edit on 10/20/2014 by paxnatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Perhaps the reason they will not be wearing any gear but just minimal is very clear, the DOD is heavily invested with glaxosmith on the ebola vaccine they has been working on, because this vaccine has already been cleared for testing, the DOD has mention that they will used this vaccine on DOD personnel working in Africa and also will be using the vaccine to treat ebola patients.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Why give full protective gear to troops that won't be exposed to Ebola during construction of hospitals?

Another far right wing zombie lie. I bet this came from Alex Jones, Jesse Ventura, Rush Limbaugh, or the Daily Beast.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Perhaps the reason they will not be wearing any gear but just minimal is very clear, the DOD is heavily invested with glaxosmith on the ebola vaccine they has been working on, because this vaccine has already been cleared for testing, the DOD has mention that they will used this vaccine on DOD personnel working in Africa and also will be using the vaccine to treat ebola patients.

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner...

Des

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Perhaps then if you can drop the leftist rant long enough to be educated, you may learn something!

Leftist?

You really dont know me. I agree with 1 thing the president has done and that make me a full blooded leftist? HAHAHA I have already stated I cant stand the man but reading comprehension and logical thinking dont seem to be your strong point do they?

I just have enough brain cell it seems to understand a virus cares little about petty left right politics.

You dont it seems.

One more thing this so called "hysterical fishwife" LOL knows that most of our MIlitary men and women have more honor and integrity than you could ever hope to muster in your little finger.....Killer Bots?? You make me laugh!

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah RAR RAR RAR blah blah blah blah

Your point?

What is your point about Kenya so many miles from Liberia

They have nothing in common except black people live there. Thats my point. Why would a Kenyan care about Liberia?

.......Do you really think our President separates the different countries in Africa and is only loyal to Kenya???

Well yes I do as I believe he has just enough brain cells to understand that africa is not one happy country but a collection of countrys that mostly hate each other.

Yeah! you probably do!!

congratulations you said something smart.

The point is genius, More loyal to ALL of Africa than America!!

Now your just making crap up based on personal opinion and warped logic.

Why would Obama be loyal to Liberia? Cause he is black?

Im obvious a genius compared to you as I can understand the concept of Africa not being a single country but a collection od country's like the American continent and how a Kenyan would owe no loyalty to Liberia any more than than someone from peru would owe loyalty to Canada.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

a reply to: loveguy

They are following orders from the Commander in chief.

When we went to Iraq it was to liberate the people - Military took the fall for what the pentagon deemed classified!!

If Obozo had not pulled the troops out all at one time and had paid attention to the threat that ISIS was 4 years ago, then we would not have this crisis threatening the world now!!
Iraq/Afghanistan caused the emergency that notorious sept. mourn?

Now that our troops left 'obsolete to us-makes useful ied's for them...when all they had were box-cutters to kill us with...?

So instead of sending in back up too support our Special Forces in Iraq Syria and Turkey, he sends the airborne assault team into Africa?? What a waste!!

Maybe the cdc should have stayed away from Africa until there was a system in place...chlorinated/community swimming pools? nah. That's too easy and makes little sense to a soldier following orders to shoot anything that bleeds...

Love guy, i am re reading your comments and i am confused what exactly are you saying?? can you please clarify for me. Thanks so much..

Pax

Sorry, I'm lousy with articulation...

When a cycle comes to it's end, it will be found where it began.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hitler referrence = Instant Disregard. calm the hell down, spaz. No one is sending anyone on trains anywhere to die. Geez! can the paranoia hype get ANY stronger? take a tranq and lie down.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Here's the thing. It really is a humanitarian type project. Logistics support, infrastructure, and facilities as mentioned. And the African countries that agreed to get this assistance are getting it for cheap, if not for free.

The catch?

U.S. companies and government gets all the ownership of research data in fighting this disease. Everything from cataloguing and recording the variation in the viral DNA due to any mutations and as to what treatments work, what doesn't. Rights to the antibodies/antigens/vaccines.

Basically those countries agreed to let their sick and volunteers for trial vaccines be "guinea pigs", because there really isn't much of a better option.

Now why do that?
If this ever makes it out of Africa in any significant manner, are other countries going to wait and/or try to do their own R&D to stop this, or will they just be ready to write that check or make other agreements to get their people the treatment they need?

So far, everyone should consider it lucky that this hyper-vigilance or paranoia and acting in a sensible manner so far has kept a lid on it. Most the cases of spread are due to people being selfish, or due to ignorance and/or cutting corners when dealing with it.

It's not something that will ever overtly be used as a weapon (at least by the U.S.), that has too many repercussions. But being the first having the known means to stop it ASAP does make one heck of a bargaining chip. In that regard being the first to control or "own" it does make strategic sense.

Yes there is still quite some risk involved, but those making the deals and hedging bets hopefully aren't too stupid about it. They must think the payoff is pretty big in the scheme of things, otherwise why bother doing it?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

For crying out loud! This is not about resources of Africa. This is about finding another way to kill off our best warriors and bring more cases of Ebola back to the States. Otherwise they would be getting full HAZMAT!
The evil here is that the proponents of Agenda 21 believe in depopulation.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

For crying out loud! This is not about resources of Africa. This is about finding another way to kill off our best warriors and bring more cases of Ebola back to the States.

For crying out loud! No it isn't.

"When you say fight, yeah it does bring up a close combat, close quarters kind of image where we are up there in close proximity," he said. "There is no mission for us to do things specifically with Ebola infected individuals. There's no mission for us to handle any remains, any medical waste. Soldiers are not going to be used in that way."

Oh, and btw,

"They are deploying with their protective mask, their gloves and their over-boots," said Col. Brian DeSantis, a 101st division spokesman who will be among those deploying to Liberia. "And once they get to Liberia they will receive their Tyvek suits and their latex gloves. So they're not deploying specifically with, let's call it, the off the shelf [personal protective equipment], they will receive that in theater."

www.military.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yup...those protective masks and over-boots worked so well for the 2 nurses who treated Duncan in a controlled environment in a hospital...didn't they....

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join