It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida mom launches petition against Toys 'R Us for carrying 'Breaking Bad' figures

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The point of Breaking Bad was this:

"To take Mr. Chips and turn him into Scarface", or so says it's creator, and I think he did a dynamite job.

It's to show that we as humans, under the right circumstances, can all be very vile. It's true. I think it was Kalil Gabran, or one of the philosophers, who said as humans, we are all capable of being as good as the best of us, or given the circumstances, we are all capable as being as bad as the worst of us.

That was the point of the show. Not aggrandizing drugs.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: onequestion

Big deal.
How is any different then kids buying Barbie dolls or G.I Joes?

Just another slow day.
toy figure comes with a toy duffle bag of cash and toy bag of crystal meth......

Yeah, great toys for kids. NOT

And gi Joe toys come with guns, what's your point?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yeah I can now have SOA meet with Breaking Bad.

Oh no I think someone will be ranting about morals and another show.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I didn't notice any Call of Duty stuff at either one

You must have avoided the Lego aisle, then. The only Lego sets I can find right now at physical stores are Halo, Call of Duty, or Star Wars. That includes Target and Walmart.

On Topic: There is a huge market of ADULT collectors and Toys R Us caters to them with an ADULT TOY AISLE. There are 2 ways for a kid to even see the toys in question:

1. You took them down the aisle
2. They found it on their own, which means you let them wander the store unsupervised

Both options point back to the child being exposed to the toy by lax parenting, not because the toys exist.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I should thank her for letting me know that Toys 'R Us is carrying such good quality Breaking Bad figurines. They look pretty well detailed for $20.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think something that a lot of people are simply failing to realize is that these toys, while they are being sold at a toy store with a strong lean toward marketing to children, are not, in fact, a toy whose primary demographic is children. I completely agree that a better choice as a retail outlet for these figures (because really, that's what they are. Toys is a bit of a misnomer here,) may have been say, Hot Topic or Spencers but the fact is that Toys R Us has sold similar figures in the past and a lot of collectors know that Toys can be a good store to pick up cool figures.

It all goes back to this one simplicity: If you don't like it just walk on past. Be pissed on your own time, they're just freaking toys.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Wow. I'm shocked. Breaking Bad did anything but glorify drug dealers. Did any of you watch it? Did you happen to see them get the crap beaten out of them at least a thousand times? Did you see the heartbreak it caused them and their families? Did you see Jessie's girlfriend die from an overdose? Glorification? What is the definition of 'glorified'? We must all have two different understandings of the word. Anybody who was thinking of dealing drugs would run in the other direction after seeing what those two went through.

Thank you for this post. If people thought Breaking Bad glorified drug culture then they either didn't watch or they weren't paying attention. Every character in the show had their life ruined in one way or another. And most lost their lives all together. That doesn't seem like glorification to me.

On topic of the toys I don't see the problem. Is a toy store not allowed to sell adult themed toys? Last time I was in a Toys R Us I recall seeing toys for all ages. I cannot understand why there are so many people, so willing to give away freedoms on the basis of them feeling offended by something.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I got an Idea, how about a new whole gear for GI Joe fighting ebola, heck yeah, from the isolation units, to the hazmat and cleaning solutions with the morons of the CDC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will sell like hot cakes.

edit on 19-10-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lysacid
Why get mad at this now? There are a million figures with guns at that store so our children can play killing other humans but breaking bad is just too much? Also there are a lot of adult collectors out there such as myself and Toys R Us has had a section for us for years now. They have carried figures like Jason Vorhees, Hellraiser, and Kill Bill. I understand the complaint of not letting children have it but adults shop there too and it should simply be up to the parent to not buy it. I mean come on, if properly parented the child shouldn't even know what Breaking Bad is if he sees it on the shelf. No harm done what so ever.

/thread

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I cannot believe Toys R Us is selling Freddy Krueger figurines!

Now children will be haunting each others dreams with slaughter on their minds. What the hell is next? Some cleaver-wielding psychopath for kids to play with?

Oh, wait...

Friggin, hysteric morons.

edit on 19-10-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Breaking Bad glorifies the drug culture? What show were you watching? Nothing turned out well for anybody in that show.

On topic, I'd say this is a smart move for Toys R Us. Stores are closing all across the country because parents would rather buy toys for their kids on Amazon. So why not cater to the collectors, the people actually willing to drop serious money on toys?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Answer

Your missing the point.

It's not the shows content that glorifies the culture its its popularity.

I don't think he's (?) missing the point, due to the nature of the answers, but you're certainly missing an 'e' and at least a couple of apostrophes.

breaking bad toys

War toys

Religion toys

Three easy searches. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the religious toys. Poor kids, being fed lies and propaganda...oh I know, maybe I'll start a petition because I'm offended by them?

Geez, Louise, with all that's going on in the world, THIS is what gets your goat?

edit on 19-10-2014 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2014 by aorAki because: funpolice

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

IM SICK OF CAPITALISM. Screw your profits, your ratings, your mansions and everything else.

I am also sick of the current system. But getting angry at Breaking Bad toys and not seeing the other toys they buy for their kids are a very blind behavior.

Breaking Bad is not a glorifier of drugs but can be seen as a comment on how screwed up our society is "where a genius chemist who even contributed to advances in the world cannot afford to pay for his medical bills and have to become a drug producer".

Walter was once a promising chemist and among the founders of the multi-billion dollar company Gray Matter Technologies, but he soon left, selling his shares for $5,000 and becoming a high school chemistry teacher.

The show could probably be used as an anti drug campaign since it really shows the nasty sides of drug abuse.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm a father.

I don't care.

Nothing says Toys R Us can't sell toys geared towards older kids or adults.

Jesus...there are countless toys in that store that are dangerous or morally unjustified.

Man...less time fighting a store's choice to sell legal goods. More time fighting what is really ruining this country.

EDIT TO ADD- Breaking Bad is low grade fiction
MM
edit on 20-10-2014 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Op you did not watch the show...
It did not glorify drigs at all. If anything it is a anti drug show.
As for the figures you can bet they are aimed at the nerd parents.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: onequestion
I didn't like this show from its inception because I immediately saw how it glorified drug culture and it sickened me.
IM SICK OF CAPITALISM. Screw your profits, your ratings, your mansions and everything else.

Funniest thing I have read in awhile, Breaking Bad glorifying drug culture. Which part glorified it the most? The OD where someone died on their own vomit? The multiple drug dealers that got killed? Maybe it was the other person that got half their face blown off. The LEO's that got killed? Oh wait I know, it was the family that was destroyed..

Yup, glorified.

A consumer has a choice, they don't have to buy any item a company is selling or they can go to another store.

I was a nice kid once, then I watched 1 single episode of Breaking Bad and now I am a hard core criminal thug, who speaks in hip hop lingo and says "bounce, little man!" a lot to random teenagers. I am quite possibly the most hard core person I know. I even take 3 sudafed tablets now and it does nothing.

It all started when I was lured into the sordid world of drug meths and chemical symbols. And once I was hooked, I knew it was what I needed to be. A crime lord. Now I spend all my time saving to buy RV's and killing gang bangers with acid. I can never finish the job though.. one day.. one day..

Yes... I blame society.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Imagine if you bought a Walter White figurine!!

4 sudafed tablets!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

See, I have no problem with figurines being made of these characters. Comic book stores, and memorabilia stores, places like that often have character models from movies and shows which are considered appropriate for mature audiences, because geek culture has spawned a scenario where there is a market for that sort of thing, because adults will now go out and buy an item which refers to their favorite movie or show, just as a kid would want for their latest cartoon fad.

However, you are quite right that a Toys R Us store is not the correct place, from which to merchandise such a product to the public. In England we have Forbidden Planet, which is basically a bloody big comic book store, which also sells replica sci fi weaponry, figurines, t-shirts, DVDs, and a whole plethora of other gear, from cult comic books, television shows, movies, novels, and the like. This place serves, by definition, fans of all manner of different visual and print media.

But Toys R Us is a company built on the idea of selling toys SPECIFICALLY to children, or for children. Their stores are arranged so that a tot running about the place is slapped in the face by the hand of wonderment at every single compass point, the better to make a sale to the young persons parents of that one thing that will keep the darling little bugger quiet for another hour or two a day. You cannot retail a Breaking Bad figurine from the same store which carries and specifically markets toys for young children, early learning equipment, and v-tech kids computers, without expecting some kind of backlash.

These figurines are cult memorabilia more than they are genuine action figures anyway, and belong in a store which caters to a more mature customer base.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk
a reply to: sn0rch

Imagine if you bought a Walter White figurine!!

4 sudafed tablets!

Hang on, lets not go crazy. 4? I think we need to step back a little, I said hard core, not out of control !!!!

Oo

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It always amuses me how entrepreneurs can cash in on hit shows and movies without recourse.

When Breaking Bad finished, I was amazed by how much Crystal Meth Candy was being toted on family friendy websites without anyone batting an eye!

Kids get done at school with Breaking Bad Candy

BreakingBadCandy Lady

If they are collectors editions for adults, then they should be in Collectors shops with a lable advising not for sale to Children.
Breaking Bad Lego Meth lab

I've got nothing against them selling this stuff, but targeting Kids!! Really????

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join