It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida mom launches petition against Toys 'R Us for carrying 'Breaking Bad' figures

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: UmbraSumus

It's not about the content of the show its about the cultural I pact of the popularity of the show itself.

WHAT?!?

I've never seen someone discredit themselves so much with ONE STATEMENT.

link   
How exactly does the show glorify drugs and drug dealing? The whole series is practically a handbook on why meth is a raging demon and how it destroys lives.

In any case, if they have Crazy Walt In The Crawlspace Laughing, I'll be a first day buyer.

(post by onequestion removed for a manners violation)

link   

toy figure comes with a toy duffle bag of cash and toy bag of crystal meth......

I love, love it,
I plan to collect them myself, and put then next to the pregnant Barbie and the bodily correct doll.

Because is nothing more boring than a sexless female and male doll, hell when they are going to get the transvestite Barbie and the transgender boy and girl.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

It's not about the content of the show its about the cultural I pact of the popularity of the show itself.

Supply and demand.

The history channels saturation with Nazi themed episodes has not predisposed me to fascism. Quite the opposite.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

No actually I fully understand the cultural implications of how popularizing drug culture in rap music has had a negative impact on young minds for decades.

Obviously your not paying attention because this has been talked about by industry insiders for years.

It's not about the content of the show its about its popularization. You don't u deist and advertising.
edit on 10/19/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Thanks for adding your personal experience.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Maybe it's for the forty year old nerds. Braking Bad, new in box, in the collection.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sorry people, I forgot is not the "transvestite Barbie, but the transvestite Kent.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

POST REMOVED BY STAFF.

I don't answer hypothetical questions. They aren't marketing a meth lab.

Even if they were, here's a point you seemed to miss in all of this: they are not marketing these figures to children.

There are adult-rated video games at ToysR'Us. It's not a store just for children's toys. All of your rhetoric is completely misplaced on this point alone.

Your insistence that these figures are going to warp the minds of children who A: aren't the target market of the toy in the first place and B: shouldn't have been exposed to the show, is completely ludicrous. By your logic, anything you deem to be unfit for children shouldn't be in any store because a kid might somehow come in contact with it. Seriously, you're completely illogical.
edit on Sun Oct 19 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
1.) Toys aren't just for kids. 2.) This woman is making a lot of assumptions in her righteous indignation and rage.

Parents, or good parents, control what their kids watch and what they buy or get to possess until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

No actually I fully understand the cultural implications of how popularizing drug culture in rap music has had a negative impact on young minds for decades.

Obviously your not paying attention because this has been talked about by industry insiders for years.

It's not about the content of the show its about its popularization. You don't u deist and advertising.

Rap music glorifies drug culture as a good thing.

Breaking Bad does not glorify drug culture as a good thing. You'd know this if you knew anything about the show.

You are demonizing something you do not understand and it's pathetic. If you know nothing about the show, you should really refrain from commenting.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If parents parent there shouldn't be a problem here.

There's a lot of bad in the world and parents actually need to talk to their kids - take personal responsibility for raising them. It really isn't that difficult, just takes some effort.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Your missing the point.

It's not the shows content that glorifies the culture its its popularity.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I didn't notice any Breaking Bad sets in the physical store when we went in for a pre-Christmas list info gathering session with the kids a few weeks ago. I also didn't notice the sets on the site, but then again, I didn't notice any Call of Duty stuff at either one. Color me unfazed.

Kids are impressionable, yes. But when mom & dad say "No, you may not get that", we mean it. How about some parental responsibility here with the griping? It might be as inappropriate as a Hooker Barbie would be, but for cripes' sake, it's mom & dad's job to do the toy vetting, not just blindly buy whatever Jr. points at.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I didn't notice any Breaking Bad sets in the physical store when we went in for a pre-Christmas list info gathering session with the kids a few weeks ago. I also didn't notice the sets on the site, but then again, I didn't notice any Call of Duty stuff at either one. Color me unfazed.

Kids are impressionable, yes. But when mom & dad say "No, you may not get that", we mean it. How about some parental responsibility here with the griping? It might be as inappropriate as a Hooker Barbie would be, but for cripes' sake, it's mom & dad's job to do the toy vetting, not just blindly buy whatever Jr. points at.

I agree with you.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
OP and other 'family values' types are the kinds of people who watch a show or film, despite prior warnings of explicit content and adult themes, and then complain about the content and write letters etc.
There are far worse and more horrific toys in toy stores.
Action figures from a tv show - boo freakin hoo, gimme a break.

You complainers and moral crusaders are just nauseating.
edit on 19-10-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I think that it is YOU that is missing the point here bud.

The show, in general, has nothing to do with anything except its own popularity. I mean, look, Game of Thrones is super popular right now but you don't see the school kids going out trying to poison kings and be drunkard knights.

The fact is if you are being influenced by a show, sort your priorities, because something is way off and if you are letting your kids watch Breaking Bad, there might be some pre-existing issues that should be addressed immediately.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

Yeah who needs morality right?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Funniest thing I have read in awhile, Breaking Bad glorifying drug culture. Which part glorified it the most? The OD where someone died on their own vomit? The multiple drug dealers that got killed? Maybe it was the other person that got half their face blown off. The LEO's that got killed? Oh wait I know, it was the family that was destroyed..

Yup, glorified.

A consumer has a choice, they don't have to buy any item a company is selling or they can go to another store.

originally posted by: Answer

You geniuses denouncing the show should learn a little more about it before you share your opinion.

Getting involved with manufacturing and selling meth COMPLETELY DESTROYED the lives of all involved. There is no glorification... there's a lot of loss, despair, sadness, and violence brought on by trying to make a quick buck.

If you watch part of one episode of a show and claim to know what you're talking about, you'll go through life looking pretty stupid to everyone else.

Exactly... the OP and other whiners are utterly clueless.
Sheesh.

*sighs*

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join