It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global population of obese and overweight tops 2.1bn

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

The number of people in the world who are obese or overweight has topped 2.1 billion, up from 875 million in 1980, the latest figures published in the Lancet show.

US, China and Russia had the highest rates and the UK was third in Western Europe, the 188-country study said.

More than half of the world's 671 million obese people live in 10 countries, ranked in order:

US
China
India
Russia
Brazil
Mexico
Egypt
Germany
Pakistan
Indonesia

The study reported more obese women than men living in developing countries.

The study called for "urgent global leadership" to combat risk factors such as excessive calorie intake, inactivity, and "active promotion of food consumption by industry".

Global population of obese and overweight tops 2.1bn

We should start a conspiracy about this, it could not be our fault that we eat as sweet tooth hogs, it must the governments or the big corporations that are making us this way, its always easier to blame someone else no?

At the same time African countries should start a conspiracy as they are not part of the global trend, who knew...

1/3 of the world population is obese, must be big pharma that want to benefit from all those ripe chubby people ready to suffer all those chronic diseases that can only be controlled with the daily dosage of the very expensive chemicals, of course is not that we cannot stop eating all that tasty bacon, nooo never.

It seems to be a good time to invest in pharmaceutical stocks don't you think?

If no one cares about obesity i wont care either

edit on 29-5-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A third of this is in North America.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos

a third of 2bn is 600 mill, does America not have 400mill people

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Injecting the collective sub consciousness with HEALTH awareness programs, may take time to reach all but is not impossible.

Have to overwrite many existing programs that encourage bad eating habits and health lacking social activities like reality tv-soaps watching/video gaming-less sports/ over exercise etc.
Very big program as $$$ has been the overwriting program thus far. And since this is the case products not healthy for many are pushed onto public for financial gain why degrading public health and awareness...

Very large program required to assist.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Dude, is a figure of speech. Don't take the amount literally.

But if you want to be precise with numbers, North America has 557.3 million people: en.wikipedia.org...

Anyway, as I said mine was just a say, a way to make a point that North America has to many obese people. One third or one fourth or one eighth...that doesn't really matter.
edit on 29-5-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Its not about bacon. Its about fast carbs and artificial sweeteners also diet drinks. These sweeteners actually boost your glucose intake of meals you eat, and you will crave for more food much sooner. Diabetics when they have high bloodglucose they not only want to drink more they also have a feeling of hunger.
Staying away from fast carbs and artificial sweeteners alltogether and choosing food with low glycemic index would improve a lot these statistics. Also using a lot of cooking oil is not so good as cooking oils are almost 100% energy.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

artificial sweeteners makes you fatter? could you provide prove of this? if you drink sodas you will want to drink more for the sodium they contend.

Diabetics have thirst when the glucose level are high because the body is trying to excrete the ketones that form through the urine. from this comes the name of the disease Diabetes mellitus

The word diabetes (/ˌdaɪ.əˈbiːtiːz/ or /ˌdaɪ.əˈbiːtɨs/) comes from Latin diabētēs, which in turn comes from Ancient Greek διαβήτης (diabētēs) which literally means "a passer through; a siphon." Ancient Greek physician Aretaeus of Cappadocia (fl. 1st century CE) used that word, with the intended meaning "excessive discharge of urine", as the name for the disease. Ultimately, the word comes from Greek διαβαίνειν (diabainein), meaning "to pass through," which is composed of δια- (dia-), meaning "through" and βαίνειν (bainein), meaning "to go". The word "diabetes" is first recorded in English, in the form diabete, in a medical text written around 1425.

The word mellitus (/mɨˈlaɪtəs/ or /ˈmɛlɨtəs/) comes from the classical Latin word mellītus, meaning "mellite" (i.e. sweetened with honey; honey-sweet). The Latin word comes from mell-, which comes from mel, meaning "honey"; sweetness; pleasant thing, and the suffix -ītus, whose meaning is the same as that of the English suffix "-ite". It was Thomas Willis who in 1675 added "mellitus" to the word "diabetes" as a designation for the disease, when he noticed the urine of a diabetic had a sweet taste (glycosuria). This sweet taste had been noticed in urine by the ancient Greeks, Chinese, Egyptians, Indians, and Persians.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Was this population of obese people measured using the BMI scale if so I call shennanigans!!! BMI is not a true predictor of obesity but is the most common form of scale used by health professionals and media outlets alike. A five foot ten male who ways 95 kilos but works out all week and eats healthy is obese? Yes apparently. Wellllllllll I dont think so. Obesity is an interpretation nothing more. Tell that blue whale to cut down on the plankton and see how you go my friend. Jonah learnt his lesson the hard way

P.S some would consider Homer Simpson to be obese. I believe he's a genius
edit on 29-5-2014 by generalspecific because: just plain forgot

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: generalspecific

You must be obese

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Artificial sweeteners boost the glucose intake of the meals you eat, they do not make you fatter as alone but together with meals your bloodglucose gets high much quicker which also makes your pancreas to create insulin faster. Insulin helps move your bloodsugar into the cells.. when all this is quicker than normal ( due chemical boost of artificial sweeteners ) you get more energy too fast and you also get hungry sooner.

My kid is type 1 diabetic no need to lecture

edit on 29-5-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: generalspecific

P.S some would consider Homer Simpson to be obese. I believe he's a genius

you should read to see he is not a genius.

If you are 5' 10" and weight 95Kg you must be a bodybuilder to not have an excess of fat, if the diet is beer based as Homer you will look like Homer too

Also here is evidence of his genius degree

Anyways i would like to know how healthy are body builders, to achieve their measurements they juice unhealthy stuff that kill them faster

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

i am too t1, i need to get lectured about this.

When you’re comparing sweeteners, keep these things in mind:

Sugars are naturally occurring carbohydrates. These include brown sugar, cane sugar, confectioners’ sugar, fructose, honey, and molasses. They have calories and raise your blood glucose levels (the level of sugar in your blood).
Reduced-calorie sweeteners are sugar alcohols. You might know these by names like isomalt, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, and xylitol. You'll often find them in sugar-free candy and gum. They have about half the calories of sugars and can raise your blood sugar levels, although not as much as other carbohydrates.
Artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods." They were designed in a lab, have no calories, and do not raise your blood sugar levels.

From what i know you can take all the aspartame in the world and not take an extra calorie, it will make you crazy and kill you other ways, but not make you fatter

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Its old news here, i read aboout it few years ago in "Diabetes & Doctor " magazine here in Finland, journal is for doctors and other healthcare professionals and articles are from top diabetes researchers in Finland.
Journal

The researchers wanted to determine whether insulin or blood sugar levels are affected by the combination of sucralose and glucose. Pepino said that they particularly wanted to study obese people as "these sweeteners frequently are recommended to them as a way to make their diets healthier by limiting calorie intake." However, it should be noted that artificial sweeteners don't necessarily help limit calorie intake. A previous study by scientists in the US suggested that consuming artificial sweeteners could make people put on weight because experiments on laboratory rats showed that those eating food sweetened with artificial sweeteners ate more calories than their counterparts whose food was sweetened with normal sugar.

Link

Our diabetes doctor is a biomed expert and researcher ( i guess we are somewhat lucky ones ), she also found a mutation which causes hyperinsulism which also leads to obesity.
Hyperinsulism

We are actually adviced to avoid artificial sweeteners.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
uhh that kinda defeats "the India is poor" concept...
lol.. they been tricking us!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Diabetes makes money.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
People need to be looking at the overweight issue more differently than they are currently.

I have a friend who eats the same amount of food as me but I probably eat about 1000 calories more each day. He is putting on weight at a rapid rate but I am maintaining my weight.
Now people think that fat is bad but without the fat your cells would become toxic and cancers would form because fat is an insulator for the cells if your system is in an acidic ph.

Now there are a lot of myths about ph and you cannot get an accurate reading of cellular ph. The mouth and urine tests are practically useless.
It is the cellular ph which causes the inflammation and why fat is created as a barrier, high cholesterol is also not a bad thing as it is that along with the fat this is keeping you alive.
So you need to raise the cellular ph and there are several methods which are easy to do and effective.
Eat lot of white button mushrooms, a recent study has shown that this really helps reducing the inflammation of the cells.
The other is to bathe in sodium bicarbonate. I buy 5kg of that and magnesium chloride which I add 2 cups of each to my bath and 1 cup if I am having a foot bath. These then enter your cells transdermally and help raise the ph of your cells.

You can also use Bicarb orally and I would recommend a cup each day for 5 days out of seven and don't eat for an hour afterwards as it neutralises your stomach acids. Athletes use this method at much higher doses before events as it has shown to increase speed and reduce fatigue. The theory behind this is that lactic acid has a very low ph, so having a system high in ph, buffers the lactic acid more efficiently. They call this Soda Doping and it is currently legal as they haven't yet found the link as to why it has an effect scientifically.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Oh well... with 6 billion people on this planet I guess on average we as a species are doing pretty well.

You know, some are a little overweight, some a little underweight...

200,000 kids may starve to death in Somalia

/sarcasm

Peace

edit on 29-5-2014 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndigentWe should start a conspiracy about this, it could not be our fault that we eat as sweet tooth hogs, it must the governments or the big corporations that are making us this way, its always easier to blame someone else no?

Yep, I'm really jealous of all those obese people I constantly hear saying they eat next to nothing but strangely put on weight. I have to eat 4 good meals a day just to stay at my constant 83 kilos at 185cm height. This is often high fat/trans-fat/corn-syrup/sugar crap, and topped up with snacks thoughout the day.
Oh if only I had this amazingly common condition that appears to allow people to exist on just one or two meals per day and still put on weight, I'd save an absolute fortune over a year, probably in the thousands of £'s.

...ah, wait, I get it, I'm physically active every day and use an equal or greater amount of energy than I consume, that must be why I am not fat. Still, I'm jealous of those folk who claim that consuming less energy than they use makes them put on weight, strange.

At the same time African countries should start a conspiracy as they are not part of the global trend, who knew...

Also strange how you never see fat people in sustained famine conditions - must just be lucky westerners who can put on weight when consuming less energy than they use.
Or most fat people just lie about how much food they munch each day.

Stop looking for people to blame people, the choice to consume more than you need is yours alone, apart from kids and then the parents are to blame.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Not all fat tissue are similar, some people have more brown fat ( which actually burns calories faster ) and don´t get weight easily. Like you i don´t get fat and im not diabetic either ( type 1 diabetics are seldomly fat, type 2 quite often ) i have never in my lifetime been in any diet and im still in same weight i was when i was 17.
White fat cells grows easily and that with possible thyroid problems like hypothyroidism leads to obesity and quite fast too.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Shhhh if you use facts, how are people supposed to stereotype other groups of people?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join