It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global population of obese and overweight tops 2.1bn

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
The point I was making is that these people are talking through their hats and using statistics to alarm us.

Than it would appear that you and I are in perfect agreement.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

here is one for you!

www.independent.co.uk...

A team at the Institute of Cancer Research in London found women who slept in a bedroom with enough light to see across it at night had bigger waistlines than those who slept in darker rooms.

Peer-reviewed and published!

Why isn't anyone laughing these jokers into hiding. Why are our taxpayers paying for this crap!

See - its not eating chips at the bus stop that makes you fat - you just need better curtains. Perhaps someone should start a lobby group (funded by tax dollars of course) to lobby the government to subsidize dark curtains. Perhaps this is the basis for a law suit against light curtain manufacturers.

Or maybe we should all start ignoring the results of any epidimiology?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm considered obese. But looking at me you wouldn't be able to tell, maybe. Standing at 5'8" and weighing in at 225, I'm a chunky fellow. And I know it.

Picking up DDP's Yoga For Real Guys to cut the fat. But that means I also have to cut the beer. Suck.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Why isn't anyone laughing these jokers into hiding.

If you keep saying foolish stuff someone may call you a fool. Do you know illumination controls hormone production right?

There was also a positive correlation between serotonin synthesis and the hours of sunlight on the day the measurements were made, independent of season. In rats, serotonin is highest during the light part of the light–dark cycle, and this state is driven by the photic cycle rather than the circadian rhythm

How to increase serotonin in the human brain without drugs

You could make a search for "illumination controls hormone production" and read any of the 50k articles that will get you Google.

Do you know what hormones are no?

For someone who accuse anyone of spreading propaganda without thinking you certainly dont think too much before saying your propaganda. it ok if you are fat, its ok if you think you dont have a problem and will live longer, anyone has the right to dream.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Indigent

Now you are drawing conclusions from a study about light in bedrooms that even the researchers didn't draw.

And you are now using ad hominem attacks to shut me up - you say I am fat?????? where did you get that idea?????

And so what if I am fat? Does that make me stupid as well and unable to properly use my bull# detector?

I go back to my original question, which you still are unable to answer

Of the 1/3 of the worlds population that were quoted in your OP- how many are obese and how many are just a few pounds overwieght?

If you can't answer this question, what conclusion am I to draw about the study quoted in the OP

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I truly want you to shut up, you dont say anything else that stupidity, gona keep asking for stupid things? read the article and you will get what you want, OR see the other article that i gave you in page 2 that shows how, regardless if you are over 25 or overt 30 in your BMI over 25 you live less.

ad hominem attacks blah blah blah you say what you want and you back it up with blogs that say it was in a peer reviewed article without giving the citation, come on grow up and find an occupation other than spreading your unbased believe over the internet.

ill just put this again here so you can ignore it again and keep your foolish claim of fat people living longer

Again if you would like to know how they made the study, go read the damn study.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Still can't answer the question, can you?

I think I have shown you up enough for one day. But be warned, whenever you start posting stupid epidimiology studies and drawing ridiculous questions, I will be back.

Your idea of debate - calling people fat and stupid says everything anyone needs to know about you.

Someone has to show up chicken little - no matter how nasty they get,

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

so you are not goin to say how

4. Overwieght people tend to live longer. How do we know what is the healthiest wieght for each person without taking into account their specific genetics? Do we want people to be normal wieght but not live as long? Is that the goal?

relates to this:

And still got the lack of decency to say what you say? you have said enough because you should have said nothing.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Do you have trouble reading? Are you illerate? Or are you just failing to understand (or not wanting to understand)

Post your little graphics until you are blue in the face - THERE IS STILL A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAVING A DISEASE LIKE DIABETES AND DYING!!!!

Did you catch that - are you assuming that all diabetics die young? NOT TRUE. If you properly take care of diabetes, you can live a quite long and relatively healthy life. You just need to be more vigilant than other people. Becoming a diabetic is a risk factor for OBESITY - not just being overwieght.

There is a difference between being obese and being overwieght.

Here is the exact study

ama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555137

Conclusions and Relevance Relative to normal weight, both obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity overall was not associated with higher mortality, and overweight was associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality. The use of predefined standard BMI groupings can facilitate between-study comparisons.

This study has been published and peer-reviewed.

Now - as to your OP - It states "more than 1/3 of the world's population are obese OR overwieght"

You then read it and assumed that it stated that 1/3 of the world's population is OBESE

That is incorrect - there may only be 200,000 people in the study who are OBESE and the rest of them are merely overwieght.

As to an explanation of why overwieght people may live longer

www.dailymail.co.uk...

People who don't eat when stressed are in danger, warns Achim Peters Thin people's brains take nutrients from their muscles and organs This is riskier for their health than being fat, and affects life expectancy But fat people don't have such risks as they are better nourished Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If a 75 year old normal wieght person were to develop something like pneumonia or the flu, they may lose wieght and become underwieght during the course of the sickness. There bodies would be unable to provide the nourishment to support their immune system during their sickness. Then they die!

If a 75 year old, over wieght person (ie 15 to 20 pounds overwieght) were to develop pneumonia or the flu, they would have enough fat and nutrients in their body to support their immune system and they would live!

Its that simple!

You just don't want to admit that there is any kind of difference between being overwieght and being obese. In your eyes, being 1 pound overwieght is the same as being 100 pounds overwieght.

I call bull# on that viewpoint

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

It seems you are illiterate as that graph is not about disease, is about mortality but suit yourself

Oh and before calling someone illiterate learn to spell it?

From JAMA as your paper, except this is cited 800 times

Relationship between low cardiorespiratory fitness and mortality in normal-weight, overweight, and obese men

Note as your rant of overweight/obese is stupidity as over 25 BMI, again like in any study you can find, mortality is higher.

edit on 31-5-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

Hey it seems there are about 200k articles contradicting your 1 article and all you say, if anyone is healthy with a little overweight as that is not fat nope never, how goes they die faster?

Oh and

You then read it and assumed that it stated that 1/3 of the world's population is OBESE

Good to know you have psychic powers to know what i get from the study, with the clear topic name of:

Global population of obese and overweight tops 2.1bn

Where is it added up to say 2.1bn obese?

Why isn't anyone laughing these jokers into hiding.

I'm trying but you have no self respect so you wont hide

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Most people need very little food, besides which ,the residence of,
is good for the mind,body and spirit.

There is too much food being produced for us, without respect to the source,
Cruelty behind each supper.

Unless you are a gladiator,
skip food for a day, at least once a week.
walk, if you do not have far to go.

eat what you like , once a day.
if it is flesh, give thanks, but kill no more than you can eat before it decompose your karma.
have fruits and nuts for daytime energy.
have what you need to be healthy.

there is plenty to eat, you don't need to store it in your body.
or kill animals too frequently.

in times of plenty
any person, without a degree of asceticism
will become obese.

edit on 31-5-2014 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Here is the value of epidimiology (and mine)

NONE OF IT IS WORTH ANYTHING

www.bbc.com...

Margarine causes divorce!

One of the golden rules of statistics is that correlation does not equal causation. Just because the movements of two variables track each other closely over time doesn't mean that one causes the other.

We could throw studies and graphs at each other till the cows come home. Until someone somewhere in a laboratory can establish causation (not I think, it could possible, it is theorized) but actually evidence.

Epidimiology is best used when there is a single cause of the disease. a bacteria is present that causes pneumonia, the HPV virus is found to be present in a tumor. But when the disease or the death is caused by multiple factors (stress caused by poverty, genetics, air pollution, recreational drug use, excessive alcohol use, birth injuries, abnormal physiology) it is impossible to determine exactly what caused the death)

With the graph you have posted - how many deaths were heart attacks, how many of those deaths were caused by factors unrelated to obesity (like exposure to air pollution, exposure to pesticides or industrial chemicals, overwork, stress, grief, genetics, abnormal artery and vein funtion, abnormal heart beats.....)

Unless you can show where the people who created the graph, investigated every single death to determine the exact cause of the death - then the graph is nothing more that correlation and should be treated with the contempt that the "margarine causes divorce" study

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

With the graph you have posted - how many deaths were heart attacks, how many of those deaths were caused by factors unrelated to obesity (like exposure to air pollution, exposure to pesticides or industrial chemicals, overwork, stress, grief, genetics, abnormal artery and vein funtion, abnormal heart beats.....)

So there is no correlation when people with BMI over 25 die more than people BMI 18-24.9 regardless of the cause of death?

hey go make a thread of your own will ya?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Well there is correlation when I read your study - But that is still NOT causation
There is also correlation when I read the study I posted - But that is still NOT causation

There is also correlation when I read the margarine causes divorce study - but that is still NOT causation

And when I read your study and they lump in obese people with overwieght people - all I see is propaganda!

The study called for "urgent global leadership" to combat risk factors such as excessive calorie intake, inactivity, and "active promotion of food consumption by industry". Prof Ali Mokdad, of the IHME, said no country was beating obesity as it was a relatively new problem.

So up until about 20 years ago - the big problem that urgently needed money was death by STARVATION. The ones suffering the most was the children. Any country that loses its children to death is in big trouble. The world had to have global leaders and most of all - money - money to research how to grow more food - money to improve agricultural practices - money for research into nutrition and calorie needs - money to develop better distribution system - money to teach population better nutrition practices - MONEY MONEY MONEY

But it was a very good cause of course because it was the young that were dying! no issues there.

Now the new problem is OBESITY and it is the relatively old that dying.

Guess what - it is NOT a crisis when someone dies at 50 or 60 instead of 80 years of age. You have had your children, you have (generally) made your most important contributions to society and when you die at 50 or 60, the only thing that happens is society doesn't have to pay your pension. I understand that this may be a tragedy for the families and loved ones but it is not a tragedy for society.

You ARE going to die. So am I. Following every inch of public health advice from the day you are born until the day you die (religiously) will not change that fact - YOU ARE STILL GOING TO DIE! We are not talking about children here, we are talking generally about people who are over 60 years of age. It is a tragedy when children die. But when seniors die - it is merely the cycle of life.

The obesity "crisis" is only important if you believe that life is about longevity. That the primary goal of your life is to delay death as long as humanly possible.

Have no fun, take no risks, your health must not be put at risk no matter what the gain might be. Don't climb mountains, don't have sex, don't ride a bike or car, don't put anything in your mouth that isn't approved, don't drink, don't smoke, don't over- or under- sleep, exercise an hour and half every single day, don't sit too much (its the new tobacco).

All of these things have health risks associated with them and all of these things have a lobby group that is begging for money so that the population might be "educated" and re-trained.

AND IT IS STILL ALL BUL#

It is fine to talk about living and dying when you are relatively young and in good health. It is completely another matter to talk about extending life by a few years or a few months in old age - when the pleasures of life have generally waned and the best you got to look forward to each day is coping with the pains of old age and hoping that your kids will come visit today.

This is a manufactured crisis - it was manufactured from junk science studies that found an association and decided to see how they could milk it for a few dollars by alarming the public as much as possible.

There is no extinction of mankind in the predictable future, there are only governments eager to take control of details of your daily life and lobbiest, epidimologists, and the medical community eager to get their hands on just a little more of your cash.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

So for you half way the waste of time the things you say are, its not important the complications as diabetes that comes from overweight, them its not important if overweight people die younger because be all gonna die anyways...

What a waste of time it is to read all the crap you say. enjoy whatever you enjoy i wont pay more attention to an attention seeker.

There is no extinction of mankind in the predictable future

No there are just more fatsos in the predictable future that will require more medical treatment and die younger than if they cared to keep their weight

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

It is still not a global crises that requires government interference in our daily lives, our money or anything else.

Look from your own original post - there is a link to the actual research

www.thelancet.com...

Read the first sentence in the background section

In 2010, overweight and obesity were estimated to cause 3·4 million deaths, 3·9% of years of life lost, and 3·8% of disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) worldwide.

3-4 million deaths out of a population of 7.3 billion. That is only 0.06 % of the worlds population that die of "risks associated with obesity" AND THIS IS A CRISIS????

Now, if you are overwieght or obese and you choose not to undertake risks to health due to obesity, then you can make the free choice of choosing to lose wieght. Dieting is a billion dollar industry and there is no shortage of advice on how to do it.

But this article does not advocate educating the public about the risks and leaving at that.

This article wants the government to regulate the food and exercise industry, take your money by increasing the tax on food and FORCING you to lose wieght (in the same way the public health is directing the government to force the population to quit smoking).

If you can't see the propagand - then its because your own moral compass is skewed.

Check yourself here:

Do you believe that extending life is the most important thing a human being to do? That it is the highest priority of government to ensure that every citizen lives to a certain set number of years that only they are qualified to establish?

Or do you believe that the most important priority in life is to live it and that it is the duty of government to stay out of people's personal lives. That we elect them to negotiate treaties, keep the peach and establish laws for the orderly conduct of society, not to be our parents?

Do you believe in freedom of choice or do you believe that adults must never have choices in their personal lives.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Oh and BTW

From the study upon which the OP was based:

www.thelancet.com...

Read the Findings Section:

Since 2006, the increase in adult obesity in developed countries has slowed down.

So the "crisis" if there ever was one, peaked about 8 years ago and the rate of "obesity" is now going down - not up!

So why does the OP call for "urgent global leadership" and government intervention for a "problem" that is already resolving itself?

And somehow you think this ISN"T propaganda to shape public opinion?

Wow - you have really drunk the kool-aid and will swallow every bit of codswallop you read.

I would suggest you really think about the moral compass thing. When you have figured out what you stand for, you won't fall for every bit of tripe that comes along.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Glad to know the rest of the world does not exist

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Is that the best response you can give?

BTW - you have showed graph after graph showing that there is an association between diabetes and obesity. But you never thought question what the association might be. You ASSUMED that obesity CAUSES diabetes. And in truth, the way the information was massaged into propaganda, any reasonable person would make the same assumption.

But actual SCIENCE, not epimiology, says different.

A person can be of perfectly normal wieght but, the body in a pre=diabetic state, releases insulin to reduce blood sugar. But for some reason as yet unknown, the cells of the body start becoming insulin resistant. The insulin can't get into the cells to reduce sugar levels. As a result, sugar begins to accumulate in the blood. The body continues to release more and more insulin in a continued attempt to reduce blood sugar.

One of the side effects of having unused insulin accumulating in your blood stream is that excessive insulin caused the body to store fat in the abdominal area.

Regardless of any dieting and exercise, the excess insulin continues to require that the body store fat in the abdomen. Then through no fault of the person, they become obese.

The association between diabetes and obesity isn't that you get fat and develop diabetes. The association is that you develop diabetes and then get fat. Diabetes CAUSES obesity, obesity does not CAUSE diabetes.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

BTW - no matter of anything I said previously, you are NOT a stupid person.

You just haven't realized that studies of the kind that you posted are all based on using statistics to find associations. And there are more ways to lie with studies than can possibly be imagined.

When you read the article, you didn't understand that it was propanda meant to shape the opinion of normal people and not actually science as you and I thing of science. We hear the word study and we think of people in lab coats, working feverishly to save mankind and advance science.

But the reality is that these are people paid to sit in front of a computer and find associations to support political ends.

The government wants and needs a new funding source. Pay 1/2 million or so to someone with a degree to make an association between obesity and disease. Ignore anything the scientists says that doesn't support the central message (in this case, ignore the fact that the scientist reported that obesity has been decreasing for the last 8 years) and publish an article in the media that portrays an alarming situation and has someone pleading for the government to help us and save us.

Then government responds by saying "we are here, we are listening and we will save you". But the government needs money and decides that the best way to raise funds is to tax food. Of course, some of the money will be used to develop media campaigns to educate the public but the fast majority will go directly into general revenue funds.

You read an article and took it at face value but you didn't have all the information you needed to properly evaluate the message.

Now you do. Next time, it will be a little harder to fool you.

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join