It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global population of obese and overweight tops 2.1bn

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If you eat more you will produce more insulin, exposing more your body to it, increasing the chance your body will start to reject it.

The more you eat the higher the chance you get type 2 diabetes.

Nice propaganda about what the government wants or not. USA USA USA oh wait what government lancet is British does that means there is one world government, does that means that the increase in overweight in the rest of the world does matter them and its not propaganda???

Oh and again nice you know what i think on research and all, people that gets paid to sit in front of a pc earn their money too you know, its not like they get news from different blogs and reach conclusions out of them you know

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Not if you eat more you produce insulin - Pre-diabetics and diabetes produce excess insulation for EVERY carb they eat including fruit and veggies.

At first its just a little insulin resistance, as the the disease progresses (and it always does), more and more cells become resistant.

Where is your evidence that the decrease in global obesity is only in the US. The OP article only spoke about global obesity and the study was also for global obesity - no where do I see that the decrease is ONLY for the US

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Oh I see what you did there. Since the decrease in global occured mostly in developed countries - you immediately assumed that ONLY the US is a developed country and that russia, the UK and germany doen't count at all.

You also ignored the information that MORE THAN HALF of the global obesity is occurring in developed countries.

Kind of makes sense that most of the decrease would occur in countries where it is occurring the most, - doesn't it?

The US is NOT the only developed country in the world.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Will these numbers get people to realize that obesity is an issue of developed, wealthy nations, something that pops up because of the society around a person, not because of a person's choice or will?

Probably not, then they can't feel good about themselves making fun of fat people (or Americans)

Pretty soon the Chinese will be the big fattys of the planet, and far more of them too. I suspect America will still keep social identity of being a bunch of lazy fat people even when every other country that progresses to your level gets the same way. Because, why not, it's fun to hate Americans and America. Brings all the (soon to be fat) people together!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1982
Probably not, then they can't feel good about themselves making fun of fat people (or Americans)

Am I still allowed to think urgh, yuk when I see a fat body?
I agree that 'making fun' out of individuals is unkind and I don't do that, but you aren't gonna change my feelings of revulsion for fat bodies...no matter how 'normal' it becomes in society.

*Edit*
And yes, I also feel good about myself when I see so many fat people around me, I'm reminded that I have greater self discipline regarding energy intake and energy used than they do.
edit on 31-5-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345

there is plenty to eat, you don't need to store it in your body.
or kill animals too frequently.

Our minds know that, but unfortunately human bodies aren't built for a world with plenty to eat without the need to store it.

Our minds, being part of our bodies, are also wired into our bodies in a way which reinforces this.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a person to be healthy in a developed nation, but I am saying the way people are told to eat is wrong, and THAT is causing the problem.

A person wants to loose weight, so they are told to count calories and cut out fats. They are either miserable, or it doesn't work, or both. Eating healthy should not be a miserable experience.

Stop counting calories. Eat meat, fresh veggies (cooked or raw, just not processed crap) and fruit and pretty soon your shedding the pounds and also loving what you eat.

It's not difficult. We have just been lied to (knowingly or not, I have no idea) about how to do it. When your eating fresh meat and veggies you don't have to count calories because you feel full and satisfied without overeating. When eating pasta, most common breads, other carbs, you start craving them so strong most people's conscious minds loose the battle of will.

If you put 3lbs of mediocre tasting pasta in front of me, I'll eat the whole damn thing and then feel like I need more. Exaggeration of course, but I'm sure many people can relate to a pasta or carb addiction. As someone with somewhat of an opiate problem in the past, I can say the craving for food can be stronger some times, regardless of how well fed you are. Most people have no sympathy for opiate addicts because they chose to start using, but we are required to eat in order to live, if some of us become food addicts it needs to be dealt with as such, not dealt with as someone simply being stupid or lazy.

A far more delicious meal of some braised pork tenderloin, some asparagus and carrots, I'll eat 1/10th as much and be far more satisfied and have no desire to continue eating. All people are different, but we all need to figure out specifically what works with our bodies. For a lot of people, meat and veggies work great with their bodies, while carbs and excess sugars don't.

The whole issue of obesity is far, far more complex than people's intelligence or strength or will. Until we admit that, and work within that paradigm people's health will continue to decline.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Am I still allowed to think urgh, yuk when I see a fat body?
I agree that 'making fun' out of individuals is unkind and I don't do that, but you aren't gonna change my feelings of revulsion for fat bodies...no matter how 'normal' it becomes in society.

*Edit*
And yes, I also feel good about myself when I see so many fat people around me, I'm reminded that I have greater self discipline regarding energy intake and energy used than they do.

Being revolted by fat bodies isn't really something you can control, heck most fat people are revolted by fat bodies. The choice you make is whether you judge a person to be good or bad based on how they strike you phsyically.

Your edit shows the truth of the matter. You view weight as simply a factor of a person's discipline. The paradigm of fat people just being lazy makes you feel superior because you are thin, so you will continue to defend it and promote it. While I can't respect that thought process I at least give you props for admitting you feel superior to fat people, honesty is sometimes more valuable than anything else.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

While I can't respect that thought process I at least give you props for admitting you feel superior to fat people, honesty is sometimes more valuable than anything else.

Whilst you gave an added value to my supposed thought process using words I did not say.
The vast majority of fat people are fat solely for consuming more energy than they use, the overwhelming majority.
Note there are no fat people in sustained famine conditions.
The everwhelming majority of fat adults choose what they eat and how much energy they use each day.
That is down to motivation and self discipline. My own motivation and self discipline comes to mind every time I see a fat person and I am glad that my ability to choose to regulate my weight is not the same as a fat persons.

You wanna spin that as a superiority thing then go ahead, but why should I not feel pleased about myself for doing a bit of exercise after eating some junk food, or feel critical of the fat person moaning about it at work with a load of cakes and biscuits on their desk?

Be a fat defender if you like but most have themselves to blame as it is always down to self discipline when an adult chooses to put food in their mouth.
edit on 31-5-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

*Edit*
And what's wrong with feeling superior to others in general? Rubbing it in an individuals face is one thing, but are you desperately looking for thought crime now?
Every race I've won, be it running, swimming, sailing or kayaking I've felt superior in that specific activity to the ones I beat. I trained for it, and reached a better standard than my competitors.
I exercise and/or regulate my energy intake to make sure I do not get fat. Yep, self discipline is part of training, and I want my body to be successful in life's 'race' - is it wrong to feel good about not having a crap training regime like most fat people now?

edit on 31-5-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This is awesome news.

This means 2.1 billion men will have to get themselves big hotties to snuggle with. Whoo Whoo !

Once you go Fat, you don't go Back! - Hubba Hubba Yum Yum!

Now Ladies, you are all Beautiful just the way you are - just please watch your health.

My gal is right at 300 lbs but her cholesterol is at 128 which is awesome so gals you can be Big and Healthy too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join