It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart goes high tech with new WAVE trucking System

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

I'm well aware of how it works. I'm also well aware that with the exception of a couple of trucking companies, none of them can afford that kind of cost. I can only think of one or two that actually run in the black consistently.

Walmart is not the one that would be making the trucks. Peterbilt would be, that means that they would take a lions share of the hit to begin with. Without having more than one customer, with a relatively small fleet (Walmart contracts out to several companies), they're not going to take the chance on it.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It's the design phase where you take your hit, once the product goes into production you make up for that hit. This unit, since the design phase went into the concept phase (ie: they produced one), now they need a buyer for this design.

That buyer is apparently Walmart. So, they have gone to the expense of creating a concept vehicle for their next buyer, and... they wont produce them?

There seems to be a break in your logic. They already took the hit, they will only make up for that, by now producing.

edit on 26-2-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Never been to a car show, have you. Four or five concepts are at every big car show. They never build more than that one and rarely plan a full run for them.

In this case the much bigger hit is in completely retooling two or more production lines with very specialized equipment. The more trucks bought, the lower the unit cost. Walmart doesn't own enough trucks to make it worth the cost.
edit on 2/26/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yes I have been to car shows. Many of them.

I also disagree with you on this since Walmart definitely wants to save costs, and has a huge fleet, gas alone cost well in excess of a million each month, but since your a mod I wont take this conversation any further.

Thank you for the conversation.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Me being a Mod has nothing to do with this conversation.

Walmart would spend a lot more money than they would save, as would Peterbilt, Wabash and Great Dane. Walmart only owns a fraction of the trucks that pull their trailers. The vast majority are contract carriers. So they would end up replacing the small fleet of their own trucks, and then their massive fleet of trailers.

If one of the Big Three trucking companies was behind it then I would say they'd build it. Walmart is too small.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Zaphod58

Me being a Mod has nothing to do with this conversation.

Walmart would spend a lot more money than they would save, as would Peterbilt, Wabash and Great Dane. Walmart only owns a fraction of the trucks that pull their trailers. The vast majority are contract carriers. So they would end up replacing the small fleet of their own trucks, and then their massive fleet of trailers.

If one of the Big Three trucking companies was behind it then I would say they'd build it. Walmart is too small.

I would suggest that perhaps Walmart is thinking of changing the way they do business. They may do away with all of their contract carriers and in fact, if they do this, they may impinge on the three big guys. Companies such as walmart want total control from manufacturing all the way to sales.

They also announced setting up manufacturing with American labor. Once again, trying to control everything. Do not be surprised if they do this. They are not pouring money into this concept out of the goodness of their heart.

Coming soon to your State, Walmart Carriers! Best trucks in the business, dedicated to wiping out the big three!

P

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

When has Walmart done anything to hurt their profits? Using a contract carrier means they pay a fraction of fuel and maintenance costs, and nothing for the trucks themselves.

What is being overlooked here is that the article clearly states this is a one off concept.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join