It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart goes high tech with new WAVE trucking System

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Now if only Wallmart had them and they drove around with Wallmart scrawled all over them they may well be worth their cost just in advertising. They would give Wallmart that futuristic feel that young people go for. They would also impress other demographics.

From that perspective they may just make it into production. Otherwise, why has Wallmart spent all of the development funds?

P

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Notice the driver sits in the most unsafe position possible.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Thats pretty awesome. Wonder what they did or plan to do about trailer height.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Nephalim

Thats pretty awesome. Wonder what they did or plan to do about trailer height.

Nothing. They can't. Bridges, overpasses, railroad tracks etc....... have to be a specified height above Federal Highways. State Highways are the same. This is why all trailers are the same height at 13.5 ft.

They've been working on this for a long time and they're pretty much on track with their plans.

www.rmi.org...

Logistics

WalMart has always put their logistics first, at least it seems that way because that's the one part of their operations that they always seem to get right. For the most part. Considering the average length of a truck's route and the maximum hours a driver can put in during a day though, you have to wonder if this change is overkill. Too much change for the demands of the average truck. It WILL reduce their carbon footprint dramatically though.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Im not impressed at all. these trucks are still using fossil fuels...

There is no new technology here..

Now if they said that they were using Ion Drive or Thoreom motors then I would be impressed.

My friend has a fully automatic hybrid semi that he uses for long hauls. That tech is already being used.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

learnatic

Notice the driver sits in the most unsafe position possible.

why is that the most unsafe position?

it is the same as F1 racers

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Actually they're using a lot of new technology. You friend's hybrid is as different from this truck as it is from anything else on the road. Hybrid trucks haven't been possible until now.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
They are looking at several different designs. One has no sleeper but a pod that gets dropped off and replaced with an empty one. The driver spends rest time in motels and they are in discussions on lodging with a couple of chains so the drivers would always have a room waiting. $50 for a motel with thousands of dollars of profits behind the cab. Most drivers have a certain route so setting it up is quite easy. Now how many truckers would give up that space for a motel??

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

These trucks are still using fossil fuels though, correct?

Im not really impressed with that fact. If they said that they were looking into having thoreom powered trucks then I would be impressed as one gram of thoreom could power a vehical for roughly a 100 years (depending on how often this vehical is driven) There is better technology out their, we dont need to be stuck using fossil fuels.

Edit: If you can make a car or truck run fully or partially off water (seperating oxygen from hydrogen) who's to say you cant do it to a semi? That would be another thing that would impress me.
edit on 24-2-2014 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

A lot of trucks are being made and sold to run on LNG fuel. These new engines, advanced technology, and exhaust system can provide a truck that produces much less emissions/pollution... In fact probably less than the average car does now.

Trucking is far more vital to the US economy on a multitude of levels, more than most people realize.

Wal mart should not be alone in seeking to advance trucking and logistics technologies.

edit on 24-2-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Zaphod58

I seriously doubt it will go anywhere. None of the big truck makers will touch it. They're making upgrades but they won't make a radical change like this.

I dunno, it's Walmart and they are pretty powerful. If Walmart wanted, they could build a Walmart on Mars right now just for fun. LOL

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Truck emissions are as close to zero as can be now short of an electric truck which currently can't be done.

All the truck companies are working on new technology. Nothing as radical as this but the 2014s are up to 9-11mpg and they are aiming for over 14 by 2017.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

A 2014 Freightliner Coronado with diesel engine runs $150,000. I don't know about you but even large companies that get discounts aren't going to pay the ridiculous amount for a thorium powered truck. The first time one wrecked and they had to pay for cleanup it would damn near break them.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Peterbilt would be building it. They'd have to either retool a line or build a new one. An expensive one. Then partner with Wabash or Great Dane who would have to do the same.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I swore I've seen that design for a truck a few years back, but it's from Germany and was part of some R&D project by MAN Trucks. Wouldn't be too surprised if it's the same. Don't remember the turbine aspect, but it probably sounds cool in regards to marketing.

However the way diesels are currently being used in regards to trucking isn't the most efficient. Following what the railroad industry has done and going diesel-electric would make much more effective use of the powerband, reduce idling, and offer other features that would be beneficial to trucking. (Stuff like regen-braking that effectively works just like engine braking does, but quietly. Battery assist also would mean other motorists aren't breathing that big cloud of soot when a truck pulls from a standing start either. And electrics have gobs of torque, which is perfect for the job.)

Not exactly the biggest fan of Walmart, but they likely push some aspects of the industry and making trucks run alot cleaner would be a good thing. (However Walmart is looking at the efficiency aspects in operating costs, not the fact that a proper hybrid cuts down significantly on idling and runs in a power range that greatly cuts down on soot.)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This WAVE truck might make a good short haul truck.
But long haul drivers will never go for it.

You have some of the long haul truckers that tag team it and one driver drives while one sleeps.

these guys like to have everything in there trucks so they only have to stop for fuel.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I thought of that but while you can never sit side by side one can be in the back while the other drives... its still doable.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Zaphod58

I seriously doubt it will go anywhere. None of the big truck makers will touch it. They're making upgrades but they won't make a radical change like this.

I'm sure that is what they said concerning flying in airplanes too. Yet, it happened; technology always moves forward even while people laugh.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Even Walmart is going to have a heart attack at what these trucks would cost per unit. Companies already spend hundreds of millions replacing their fleets every four to five years. They'd end up at least doubling what they currently spend if not hitting into the billions once you add in all the trailers.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

When first made, things usually cost more. Take the first Television set for instance. More expensive etc. Then, as mass production moves forward, the price slowly drops...

Walmart already has the mass production necessity almost all by itself, add a few more large companies to that and the price drops, and as popularity grows in a few years it will be cost efficient for everyone...

Add to that the savings of fuel, and the necessity for fewer truck loads, and you have your balance even in the beginning.
edit on 26-2-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join