It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart goes high tech with new WAVE trucking System

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I am no fan of Walmart but I do like technological advancements especially when it has to do with stagnating (IMO) market sectors.

18 wheel trucks began usage in the USA in the 1930's but gained serious use from post war to the 1970's. For the most part, these trucks have essentially stayed the same over this period and even into the present time.

Walmart is looking to redefine the trucking industry by introducing it's "WAVE" technology truck system. Some photos and video below:

Link:www.theblaze.com...

In 2005, Wal-Mart set a goal of doubling the efficiency of its truck fleet by 2015. Sultemeier said the company reached 80% of its goal by purchasing more fuel-efficient trucks and finding ways to ship more goods in less space and using fewer trucks.

The Walmart Advanced Vehicle Experience, or WAVE, concept truck is … (a) one-of-a-kind prototype offers a whole package of firsts. The tractor has very advanced aerodynamics and is powered by a prototype advanced turbine-powered, range-extending series hybrid powertrain.

The trailer is made almost exclusively with carbon fiber, saving around 4,000 pounds which can then be used to carry more freight.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It's about time someone tried to refine the look and efficiency of semi trucks.

I'm sure the Anti-Wal-Mart clan will jump all over this. Surely puppies and homeless people are being sacrificed to accomplish this.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

iamhobo
It's about time someone tried to refine the look and efficiency of semi trucks.

I'm sure the Anti-Wal-Mart clan will jump all over this. Surely puppies and homeless people are being sacrificed to accomplish this.

I agree.....I thought the single seat "cockpit" deal was way outside the box and gives the driver a more control based seating arrangement....pretty cool

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Fan of Wal-Mart or not.... that is a nice looking rig. I imagine there are some truck drivers out there that would love to take this thing up the road. Maybe companies like Wal-Mart can advance transportation for everyone while doing things like this.

While probably only thinking of progress for themselves, it may very well end up as some bit of progress for everyone else. They certainly have enough to gain by looking for the best technology to save themselves money, while our own government may not look quite as hard because it may cost them too much profit loss.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Too bad it's a one off concept.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by iamhobo

Too bad it's a one off concept.

yeah but I hope they push this design through as I think it would open things up in the trucking industry
edit on 23-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

I seriously doubt it will go anywhere. None of the big truck makers will touch it. They're making upgrades but they won't make a radical change like this.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I would hate to see the price tag on one of these. Carbon fiber trailer and the new engine will not be cheap not to mention many over the road truckers will not like that joke of a sleeper.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
How much does it cost?
And will it crank out a million plus miles without replacing the turbine engine?

There is a reason why trucks are so big and heavy. Stuff breaks. And you have to drag around up to 45,000 lbs of freight. 80,000 lbs with the tractor, trailer.

No thanks, I'll stick with my 2004 freightshaker, with 1.1 million miles, that gets a whopping 5 mpg. And billows clouds of black carbon dioxide all over you people in your Prius. Lol

P.s. Don't show this to Obama, unless you want to pay $20 for a gallon of milk.
edit on 23-2-2014 by bjax9er because: Edit

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Zaphod58

I seriously doubt it will go anywhere. None of the big truck makers will touch it. They're making upgrades but they won't make a radical change like this.

I would see this available in a few years ....... from a Japanese manufacturer. As usual, the US industry will have to play catch-up.

P

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

If you look at truck evolution it is slow and subtle. The external difference between a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia and a 2014 Cascadia Evolution is a lack of external antenna mounts on one. But internally the differences are huge, with the Evolution running 9-10 mpg.

Even in other countries I don't see this taking off. A new truck off the line already runs over $100,000 for the tractor alone. This thing would easily clear $200,000 I'll bet. Add the trailer and you could be looking upwards of $400,000. And without the special trailer you just have another truck.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
THat thing looks pretty cool, something out of a sci fi flick

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
My opinion, they are just shrouding the fact that they are the ones lobbying congress to let truck drivers drive more hours per day.

Which sounds great right up until your kids are driving next to a truck thats been driving 16 hours

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Wal-Mart could donate a billion dollars to African orphans and still get morons calling them self-serving, Satan worshippers.

I think this truck is cool and what is wrong with cutting freight costs and helping the environment at the same time? It seems like a win for everyone.

edit on 2014/2/24 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Looks kind of like the truck used in the big chase scene from Michael Bay's 2005 film The Island.

Jump to 0:22.

edit on 2/24/2014 by cmdrkeenkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Do you know how many accidents are caused by long hours? Not many. As it stands right now the hours of service rules don't make sense and hurt a hell of a lot more than help. They are a prime example of people who have never been in a truck making rules for the sake of making rules.

And you might want to pay closer attention to who is more dangerous, that truck driver or the car being stupid near him.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
As a worker who generally always unloads trucks I find this to be quite interesting. The truck sure does look purdy! Sure hope some other stores will look into some redesigning.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Zaphod58

you may be right but Peterbilt is the manufacturer that helped them build this thing.

I just like seeing any attempt at major game changing technological advancements being brought forward.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

it sorta does look like that.....great scene by the way

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

At least some of what they learned from this will go into future trucks. By 2016-17 you'll probably start seeing some of the engine and chassis stuff coming into use.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join