It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
OMG

The circular semantics in this thread are fricken hilarious !

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

NoRulesAllowed
IT STILL doesn't change the fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun. It simply doesn't. How you look at it and where you are located STILL has the Earth in the gravitational field of the Sun, orbiting it.

In this very particular and specific frame of observation. Like this other guy, you're assuming that because one single case is correct with use of one particular definition, that everything else is automatically wrong. "In the gravitational field of the sun" is a frame of reference that was not stated anywhere. It is no more or less correct than any other proven model, it's different. You can put the earth into focus, you can put earth's gravitational field into focus. It may still be significantly weaker than that of the sun, but if it's your current point of reference, you can wrap all the same physical principles around it, like you do with the sun. And voila, you have yourself a fully working, 100% legit Geocentric model.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Marsupilami

If you extremely simplify this line of thoughts, you can state that both are correct, the earth revolves around the sun and the sun revolves around the earth.

Actually no. The only misinterpretation could be from saying "go around". As it is used in various context. (As was used in the survey.) And that simply gives you an error for anyone that misunderstood the question.

The terms "revolves around" and "orbits" are too specific to factor in misinterpretation.

Revolves around - Earth's action in relation to the sun.
Orbit - In physics, an orbit is the gravitationally curved path of an object around a point in space.

The term 'go around' could be used asking:

Does the sun go around the earth or does it go back and forth (in the sky). People could easily ask a question like this and it would not imply the sun is orbiting the Earth. Instead speaking about perspective of view.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

CranialSponge
OMG

The circular semantics in this thread are fricken hilarious !

Question 174

Do the semantics go around the thread or does the thread go around the semantics?

1. The thread goes around semantics.
2. The semantics goes around thread.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

And since we already established that both earth and sun actually revolve around a barycenter between them, your argument doesn't really add anything. Because this barycenter is not the center of the sun, my argument still stands, that the Heliocentric model is incorrect alone and dramatically incomplete considering other options.
People here seem to have a thing for abusing definitions to steer around actual arguments ... at least do it right.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Do the semantics go around the thread or does the thread go around the semantics?

1. The thread goes around semantics.
2. The semantics goes around thread.

You saw what I did there, didn't you ?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
1 in 2 Americans believe cats are dogs, its always the same articles. Articles like that are published in the US to shock Americans. So the person who publishes such articles capitalizes on the fact that the target audience knows the caption to not be true. Therefore not even the writer of the articles must believe that 25% of America believes the sun to revolve around the earth.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Where do I get the animated smileys!! I want the one eating popcorn!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Merinda
1 in 2 Americans believe cats are dogs, its always the same articles. Articles like that are published in the US to shock Americans. So the person who publishes such articles capitalizes on the fact that the target audience knows the caption to not be true. Therefore not even the writer of the articles must believe that 25% of America believes the sun to revolve around the earth.

The article is publicizing a national report used in congress to lobby the government for science objectives funding.

I think that is the most important thing. While the conclusion is, 1/4 people don't know the earth revolves around the sun, one could just as easily draw the conclusion that 1/4 people simply do not give a flying fart whether or not the sun or earth revolves around one or the other.

A bunch of other conclusions could be drawn to. Their relevance? Not sure. But here's hoping they make ground in congress anyway.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I leave a few hours and when i return 80 post later still arguing if earth goes around the sun or the sun around earth, evolution, politics on and on

Faith in humanity restored
if this continue this way i guess this will be my first thread in the trash bin, good night ats

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Indigent
I leave a few hours and when i return 80 post later still arguing if earth goes around the sun or the sun around earth, evolution, politics on and on

Faith in humanity restored
if this continue this way i guess this will be my first thread in the trash bin, good night ats

If anything we all boosted your karma score 10 fold. You should be thankful.

I think this is a good reason why a true or false question is just not accurate of the populations views or knowledge. Since answers apparently are dependent not only on the question asked, but the interpretation of them as well!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Marsupilami
reply to post by boncho

And since we already established that both earth and sun actually revolve around a barycenter between them, your argument doesn't really add anything. Because this barycenter is not the center of the sun, my argument still stands, that the Heliocentric model is incorrect alone and dramatically incomplete considering other options.
People here seem to have a thing for abusing definitions to steer around actual arguments ... at least do it right.

Is pi 3.14 or 3.14159265359? You can say the earth orbits the sun, or the earth orbits the barycenter, both are correct. One a little more accurate than the other.

As phage stated though you can't say the sun orbits the earth, revolves around the earth, etc. You can say the earth revolves around the barycenter, or the earth revolves around the sun. The sun does not revolve around the earth in any shape or form.

That would imply diagram 1,2, or 5

Barycentric coordinates.
edit on 15-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have two models one heliocentric and the other geocentric.

Both models when watched seem alike from an earth bound view.

Both models account for the reversing orbit of Venus.

The funny thing is the whole universe is moving every star and galaxy is moving their is no stillness in the universe all moves. While there are certain tracks of rotation of our planets they are never exactly the same. This too has been observed and incorporated into the two above models yet we cannot tell which is the correct view.

There is no way to establish a spot from which we could observe in space that we are completely still. If we make that spot a still location comparatively to the Earth or Sun it is all still moving. To some there is no up or down or north or south except if we chose to use our earth's north but even then the north we choose can only be applied to our earth as the earth wobbles to and fro so the North is never pointing exactly the same place in the universe as it moves along in this universe.

We cannot find a completely still spot to observe from because everything is moving and though it may seem we are still compared to our earth we are still not still.

Unless we can create a completely still location from which to observe from we will never know if the earth and moon revolves around the sun or the Sun and the other planets revolves around the earth.

If we could get outside the firmament (the encompassing container of the universe and its darkness) and place the whole universe in front of us (we being outside of the encompassing container) then we may be able to finally answer that question.

Until then nobody's opinion of heliocentric or geocentric revolution is correct.

edit on 15-2-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

boncho People are idiots.

you should remember that you are also a person. so, by your own logic, you are an idiot. no?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

LOL this is exactly why some people should not be allowed to vote.

There have been lots of polls and on the street interviews..... it is incredible how large a percentage of the population have zero clue who our leaders are, what the issues are but can answer a question about the latest and greatest pop star.....

Seems like with driving, you should have to take a test prior to voting. Morons voting in any election is just wrong....

But I am sure that someone would insist their civil rights were being violated.....

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

RoScoLaz

boncho People are idiots.

you should remember that you are also a person. so, by your own logic, you are an idiot. no?

Yes, in certain circumstances everyone is. Sometimes multiple times in their life. Admitting it is half the battle.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

boncho

Marsupilami
reply to post by boncho

Is pi 3.14 or 3.14159265359? You can say the earth orbits the sun, or the earth orbits the barycenter, both are correct. One a little more accurate than the other.

As phage stated though you can't say the sun orbits the earth, revolves around the earth, etc. You can say the earth revolves around the barycenter, or the earth revolves around the sun. The sun does not revolve around the earth in any shape or form.

That would imply diagram 1,2, or 5

Barycentric coordinates.
edit on 15-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Disclaimer: i am not stating that the sun revolves around the earth.

Those examples of the barycenter thingie are extremely simplified. They in no way or fashion depict our system. None of those examples takes the entire mass of our living solar system into any consideration. There are times when the barycenter is outside the suns body.

The statement of Earth goes around the sun is true, the earth does not go around the sun is true, the sun goes around the earth is false.

As for evolution, it is a theory (not a fact) that we came from animals. It is still called the Theory of Evolution.

Anither fact, the folks who made the survey need a swift kick in the nads.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

There are times when the barycenter is outside the suns body.

This only happens when all of the planets are aligned on the same side of the Sun. Somehow, the point of this thread seems to have been lost.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
How can they say that humans evolved from animals, when humans are animals? That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Or it seems like they are singling out humans as non-animals or something. It just seemed weird to me. Anyway, this doesn't surprise me, considering that intelligence has been decreasing in the US over the decades. Why I don't really know. The education system has failed, and if the cause can be determined, it can be fixed.

However, I think the cause would likely have something to do with the lifestyle of Americans, as well as what various corporations are contributing inadvertently to the problem.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

It is because a lot of us feel we where something else and being a human on this mud ball is some kind of terrible humiliating punishment, indeed many of us feel we simply do not belong on this world and can not identify any other corporeal state we would be happy in, though I warrant if this is truly base on some residual identity crisis for those of us whom feel this then it is also likely that the majority of humans are indeed little more than animal's but animal's with a spark of something else that may in some cases ascend to were we fell from and I hope they never fall back down.
For some life is a ladder they keep slipping off and every time they slip they find themselves back here, maybe not alway's as human's.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join