It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

ChuckNasty
reply to post by DJW001

Nerd talk for pics or it doesn't happen.

Go Google yerself a program and prove to us that you are correct.

See beyond yer HS thinking and enjoy science facts instead of 'I think it does' mentality.

You are the one claiming that something happens more often than I think it does. First, you have to explain how often you think I think it happens, then you have to provide evidence that that is wrong. The case is entirely yours to prove.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
"That Earth/sun thing has neither a bearing on our daily lives, nor on our need to make the whole world American.

In the end, what difference does it make if the sun circles the Earth or vice versa?

It's always up there and we're always down here. That's all we really need to know."

One of the most depressing things I've read in a while, just give up buddy, way to inspire!

that "journalist" needs to have his macbook taken off him, smashed, and banned from using pens for life

pathetic drivel

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I have two models one heliocentric and the other geocentric.
Both models when watched seem alike from an earth bound view.
Both models account for the reversing orbit of Venus.
The funny thing is the whole universe is moving every star and galaxy is moving their is no stillness in the universe all moves. While there are certain tracks of rotation of our planets they are never exactly the same. This too has been observed and incorporated into the two above models yet we cannot tell which is the correct view.
There is no way to establish a spot from which we could observe in space that we are completely still. If we make that spot a still location comparatively to the Earth or Sun it is all still moving. To some there is no up or down or north or south except if we chose to use our earth's north but even then the north we choose can only be applied to our earth as the earth wobbles to and fro so the North is never pointing exactly the same place in the universe as it moves along in this universe.
We cannot find a completely still spot to observe from because everything is moving and though it may seem we are still compared to our earth we are still not still. Unless we can create a completely still location from which to observe from we will never know if the earth and moon revolves around the sun or the Sun and the other planets revolves around the earth.
If we could get outside the firmament (the encompassing container of the universe and its darkness) and place the whole universe in front of us (we being outside of the encompassing container) then we may be able to finally answer that question. Until then nobody's opinion of heliocentric or geocentric revolution is correct.

Observation from a nuetral zone is the only way to prove most ideas about space and time

edit on 16-2-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Flawed logic friend, as this is not a major topic in conversation. I would be surprised of ALL the people you meet, 1% constitue this subject being broached.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Why didn't they just ask Siri? She has all the answers so we don't have to!

I love our world.

/sarcasm

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Baguul

Flawed logic friend, as this is not a major topic in conversation. I would be surprised of ALL the people you meet, 1% constitue this subject being broached.

Are you saying i'm antisocial and don't know enough people to have a fair representation of society?

I'm pretty sure i ask everyone i meet before saying something else first, Does earth is the center of the universe?

I'm joking of course and you are right, but i do talk some crazy things let me tell you

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

maintainright
"That Earth/sun thing has neither a bearing on our daily lives, nor on our need to make the whole world American.

In the end, what difference does it make if the sun circles the Earth or vice versa?

It's always up there and we're always down here. That's all we really need to know."

One of the most depressing things I've read in a while, just give up buddy, way to inspire!

that "journalist" needs to have his macbook taken off him, smashed, and banned from using pens for life

pathetic drivel

Why would people ignoring facts and fighting it be a good thing?

If I said Australia is where Russia is, or vice versa, and literally believed it, who cares right? I'll never go there, so why even bother getting to know geography. With that mindset people will just start doing it into different categories of thinking/knowledge. Not exactly something I would want to happen. I don't want a wave of backwards thinking coming to light, no matter what subject it is.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Anyone who has driven anywhere in the US would be shocked that 75% of people know Earth is a planet, and the sun isn't just "that thar' big honkin' light bulb in the sky", let alone that Earth revolves around the Sun. Personally, I don't know how most people survive through a day.

Please, Natural Selection, come back. We miss you!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

dogstar23

Anyone who has driven anywhere in the US would be shocked that 75% of people know Earth is a planet, and the sun isn't just "that thar' big honkin' light bulb in the sky", let alone that Earth revolves around the Sun. Personally, I don't know how most people survive through a day.

Please, Natural Selection, come back. We miss you!

My God, you must come into contact with the absolute most ignorant people....

I guess I just run in different circles and stop at different cafes because I would never have imagined the above as true. I am 59 and I have done my share of traveling, just as an FYI.

I realize there are ignorant people out there, but 75%? wow...what an effed up perception.

I daresay that I would be surprised if as much as 10% of the people I know didn't know that the earth is a planet orbiting the sun.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

dogstar23

Case in point. I'm not sure how this guy makes it but he says the sun obviously isn't that big, only a few miles around.

Proof the Sun Revolves Around the Earth

I don't quite follow his proof that the sun orbits the Earth except that the bible says so and that anybody who believes otherwise will burn in hell for eternity. (I didn't think the 75% were all atheists but he seems to think so).

I didn't get involved in the barycenter discussion because the only planet you can even try to use that argument on is Jupiter. I think for all the other planets the barycenter is inside the sun so while the wobble is noteworthy for exoplanet hunters, it's no argument that the planets don't orbit the sun, which contains the barycenters (except that of Jupiter).

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

He's a nutcase, they come in all flavors and sizes.

I would dare ask him where in the Bible does it say the sun revolves around the earth? I am afraid I have not run across that, not that I am particularly versed or qualified...

I have read Genesis, Revelation and the Book of Daniel completely though...

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

bbracken677
I would dare ask him where in the Bible does it say the sun revolves around the earth? I am afraid I have not run across that, not that I am particularly versed or qualified...
I'm no biblical scholar either, but I don't think it says either way, at least not clearly. I think the idea could be based on a misinterpretation of Psalm 104:5 which in King James version says:

www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...

[Who] laid the foundations of the earth, [that] it should not be removed for ever.

Someone might misread that as the Earth doesn't move (implying that everything else must revolve around it), but that's not even what it means...it's saying the Earth won't be destroyed (which by the way in 5 billion years when the sun goes red giant, it might be. All the oceans will boil away long before that).

I found this link Bible Verses About The Earth Orbiting the Sun, but I don't see where the listed verses support that idea, and then there's the whole Catholic church versus Galileo thing, though the Catholic church is not noted for following a strict interpretation of the bible.
edit on 16-2-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The Church, at the time, incorporated the natural philosophy of Greeks (including Ptolemy and Aristotle). So it wasn't necessarily a religious point (except for shoehorning scripture to fit), more a problem with the infallibility of the Church.

There was actually a pretty strong political flavor to the sordid affair as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I would venture to say that the polled population were city dwelling Californian's or New Yorkers. I've never met a single person in my life living in Texas who believed any of that.

That being said, it isn't "known" that we evolved from animals. It's a theory. Creationism is also a relogious belief that would skew this polled data even further as people may have been taught about evolution, but they aren't certain of it because there is no definitive proof.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

bbracken677
I'm no biblical scholar either, but I don't think it says either way, at least not clearly. I think the idea could be based on a misinterpretation of Psalm 104:4 which in King James version says:

www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...

[Who] laid the foundations of the earth, [that] it should not be removed for ever.

Someone might misread that as the Earth doesn't move (implying that everything else must revolve around it), but that's not even what it means...it's saying the Earth won't be destroyed (which by the way in 5 billion years when the sun goes red giant, it might be. All the oceans will boil away long before that).

I found this link Bible Verses About The Earth Orbiting the Sun, but I don't see where the listed verses support that idea, and then there's the whole Catholic church versus Galileo thing, though the Catholic church is not noted for following a strict interpretation of the bible.
edit on 16-2-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification
As Galileo is supposed to have said-- 'Scriptures tell us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The Bible refers to the nature of the earth several times, ranging from a "Globe" to an earth having corners, edges, etc. No reference is given as to whether the sun or earth orbit each other.

Isaiah 40:22 - earth is seen as spherical or a globe
Job 26:7 - the earth is "suspended in space" without any visible means of support

The use of prose in the Bible is also confusing, as it paints a world that is "flat" or "suspended", or has edges and corners. It's poetic speech, but literalists take it, well, literally.

Matthew 4:8
Daniel 4:11
Revelation 7:1
Job 38:12-13
Isaiah 11:12

Medieval Bible scholars depicted the earth as sitting within a tabernacle, with the heavens suspended above it. The earth was immobile.

The "flat earth" concept was never a part of church teachings, but a late 19th C. invention of author John W. Draper, mostly used to criticize the backwardness of the Church. And we all know the history between Copernicus, Galileo, and the Catholic Church

I don't think church teachings are the reason why so many can't answer this question correctly, rather its just plain ignorance and poor science education.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

Evolving from animals theory is FAR more absurd than most that have hit this planet...

In fact it is flat out disturbing, because we can see flat out in front of our faces that this is not and never COULD be the case.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
the church totally hid the fact that the celtic cross was a measuring and navigational instrument used for tens of thousands of years...it can do long and lat and tell time...

the egyptian secret societies back to "our lord amen"...menes - the great admiral...the uniter of upper and lower egypt...down to the templars...

see the cross the stars and the pyramids in my AV?
the person to whom it belonged was a military engineer who belonged to such a secret society...
mmmmuuuuuhhhhhhahah

edit on 16-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

ParasuvO
reply to post by Xterrain

Evolving from animals theory is FAR more absurd than most that have hit this planet...

In fact it is flat out disturbing, because we can see flat out in front of our faces that this is not and never COULD be the case.

Could you elaborate further on this?

I, for one, do not find it to be so farfetched that it could never be the case....

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
ATS has turned out to be the most brainwashed, indoctrinated, anti-christian, and intolerant bunch of heathens this world has ever seen. 99% of the commenters on this site are hypocrites and have been crippled by the so called education system. Anyone who believes that we evolved from monkeys or apes has been diluted and indoctrinated. Brought up as a nation of God haters it's no wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Every single one of you point the finger at the ignorance of others but forget there's always three more pointing right back at you!!!! You are witnesses against yourselves just as JESUS told the fools 2,000 years ago. Romans 1:18-32 KJV [18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; [19] Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. [20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: [21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. [22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, [23] And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. [24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: [25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. [26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: [27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. [28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; [29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, [31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: [32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join