It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

The center of it never leaves the suns corona. But it does leave the photo sphere.
Not the Earth-Sun barycenter. It's always about 450km from the center of the Sun. Each pair of bodies has its own barycenter. So if you have a lot of bodies things can get complicated because they all wiggle around as a result but the Earth-Sun barycenter is always well inside the Sun.

It is also how they found planets around other stars.
Yes because it makes the star "wiggle". But it takes a large planet to make it wiggle much.

edit on 2/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Phage

The center of it never leaves the suns corona. But it does leave the photo sphere.
Not the Earth-Sun barycenter. It's always about 450km from the center of the Sun.
Yer right.....the system is composed of just Earth and the sun with no other influences... Our system is composed of more than an Earth and Sun....

It is also how they found planets around other stars.
Yes because it makes the star "wiggle". But it takes a large planet to make it wiggle much.

Yes, it also incorporates mass of the system to cause the wobble...

If everything was just 2 bodies, then you would be correct. But in real life, it isn't so..

Still looking for the program...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If everything was just 2 bodies, then you would be correct. But in real life, it isn't so..

In real life there is one Earth-Sun barycenter.
In real life the other planets do not "wiggle" the Sun enough to move the Earth-Sun barycenter from the interior of the Sun.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Phage

In real life there is one Earth-Sun barycenter.
In real life the other planets do not "wiggle" the Sun enough to move the Earth-Sun barycenter from the interior of the Sun.

.....maybe you need to reexamine how a barycenter works in the real world. To keep it dumbed down, your definition works.. Grats on knowing the simplest form of that definition!

Edit: Our mass IS influenced by other mass, IE other planets and bodies. Any SIMPLE example of a barycenter that only calculates 2 bodies, our sun and earth, is cute. But understanding how that cute example works is a BIG step! Congrats! Baby steps....baby steps..
edit on 16-2-2014 by ChuckNasty because: as above

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I'm quite aware of what a barycenter is.
Still waiting for you to provide an example of the Earth-Sun barycenter (because that's the one we're talking about, right?) being anywhere but the interior of the Sun.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Phage

I'm quite aware of what a barycenter is.
Still waiting for you to provide an example of the Earth-Sun barycenter (because that's the one we're talking about, right?) being anywhere but the interior of the Sun.
see above..

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I'm from Australia and on a similar note and i asked a few of my work colleagues last year if they knew what the SUN was, they mostly replied with the answer "its a SUN" and very few had any idea that the Sun is a star.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage if Americans dont believe the Earth resolves around the sun should this poll be true what about the moon then? i mean everyone the moon esolves around the earth lol.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
If it were 1 in 4 astrophysicists I would be concerned.

Why does anyone else need to know the behavior of the sun relative to the earth? (to be honest it doesn't come up in daily conversation very often)

Half the population not "knowing" that we evolved from animals probably doesn't take into account that almost half the population will have a religious basis for not believing we evolved from animals.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I saw above. I was responding to above.
See above your above.

edit on 2/16/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I am 100% sure you knew what I meant, as do most understand a simple statement, just as I knew you would come along to point out all the little possible errors in the way I said something.. I'm glad you know your purpose in life though..Thanks for that

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Should of specified the edit addition. That was there After you posted, but before I responded to the post mentioned.

As for the program, it was one that included and excluded Nibiru. The only other one I can find is located here.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

You have not demonstrated that the Earth-Sun barycenter is ever anywhere but the interior of the Sun. It isn't. It is always inside the Sun.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

When you can prove that our solar system barycenter is ONLY 2 bodies, then....good luck bro! LOL, cannot believe you are still stuck on 2 bodies.

My point was never just 2 bodies, but our WHOLE solar system.

Thank you for your time LOL!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Infinitis

Why does anyone else need to know the behavior of the sun relative to the earth? (to be honest it doesn't come up in daily conversation very often)

Half the population not "knowing" that we evolved from animals probably doesn't take into account that almost half the population will have a religious basis for not believing we evolved from animals.

Of course you do not "need" to know, in the same way as you do not "need" to know what continent you're at right now or what the capital of, say your very own state is.

In a society which is literally celebrating stupidity and ignorance I am not surprised hearing a reply such as yours. Obviously it's hip nowadays to be stupid.

Also...with masses (and with 25% of people I would very well use the term masses) being entirely stupid about the most basic things...what this promotes is a divide of society where some people keep stupid low-wage workers for the rest of their life and only a few select/elites actually grasp more complex things. (NOT that Sun/Earth knowledge is any complex/secret knowledge by a long-shot). And those people who are uneducated about pretty much everything incl. politics are ALSO those who at some point vote, just as one side-note.

Reading your reply again I realize we're now finally beyond the stage in society already where it's embarrassing to be stupid. (Which is obvious, all you need to do is turn on MTV etc.)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Infinitis

Yes that might be shocking to you, but this doesn't make them right either or make them appear as less ignorant/stupid. In fact, many reject certain religions because of exactly that. (The irony here is that a belief/religion per se would actually not *have to* clash with science, but many, obviously [still] do ----> self limitation, self imposed...lol)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

iunlimited491
reply to post by Indigent

A couple thousand people hardly speaks for the entire population.

Think about it; America is actually smart enough to take over the world!

- wouldn't you agree?

Americans (the people from America) seem to be dumb enough to to not realise that there are about 195 other independent countries in the world.

At no stage has America ever "taken over the world".

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

I think you are giving people far too little credit. People are very intelligent. I believe the main issue is an over saturation of information and misinformation.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

bbracken677

alienreality

The theory that humans evolved from animals is only a theory, but these statements from the source are inserting that in as a fact commonly known, and to me that means "agenda" ..

But it's true about people not knowing a lot of science facts.. When I was a lot younger, (a long time ago), I had a friend who thought the stars in the sky were just some type of light thing.. He resisted and scoffed when I told him they were other suns. Pretty funny, I still laugh at him because he is still just as dumb now than he was then..

Space science especially seems to be the area of knowledge that the common person doesn't know anything about, and many don't even care..(I don't understand that stance at all)..

Are you suggesting that humans have not evolved?

Are you suggesting that the difference of less than 2% DNA-wise between human and apes is unimportant?

No, not at all. What I was pointing out is how the author of the linked article was communicating it, and how it is dripping with an agenda.. I see it, but I'm not saying everyone has to see it that way..

Are you suggesting that the commonality in DNA between humans and all other animals in existence is just coincidence?

Just wonderin..

I don't believe in big coincidences like that. Biological life here shares many, many commonalities. A natural process of evolution is apparent, and this doesn't mean there can't be a creator. This is the agenda that I sensed by the way the author worded his statements, made to look like it was denigrating people that believe in a creator. like evolution somehow would destroy that notion... It doesn't. I'm left wondering if the author is like those he is implicating. It's one thing to learn true scientific information, and quite another to learn from people with an agenda in one form or another.

edit on 15-2-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Phage

You have not demonstrated that the Earth-Sun barycenter is ever anywhere but the interior of the Sun. It isn't. It is always inside the Sun.

Since the other links and vid link seem to escape your comprehension, I give you another link... More stuff to prove a point based on science and not BS.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join