It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social programming + the collapse of religion and values.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
TV is just one aspect of the medias mass hypnosis. Growing up/living in a society that has already been brainwashed by the media...can also leave one with the same effect.

Religion is just one aspect of mass hypnosis upon humanity. Growing up/living in a society that has already been brainwashed by religious leaders ... can also leave one with the same effect.

A bunch of what you call 'moral values' isn't all that moral.
Some of it deserves to be collapsing and disappearing.

Religions brainwash people. They use guilt. They use threats of hellfire. They claim to be a connection between God and man, and yet they provide ZERO PROOF that they actually are. In fact, most of what they spew can be debunked.

If a person is going to complain about the media and say it's guilty of social programming and the collapse of 'moral values' ... then it would be hypocritical not to acknowledge that religions have been guilty of the exact same thing. That some of the so called 'moral values' are devoid of negative on humanity.

Organized religions idea of 'moral values' ... put to death homosexuals for being born that way ... devalue women and brainwash them into being subservient to men ... lie and tell people falsehoods in history in order to bolster their claims about being a conduit between God and man (Noahs Ark, Exodus, Abraham, Muhammads 'revelations', Joseph Smiths 'revelations', etc) ... and some say 'go out and kill those who don't believe like we do' ...

You can't point your finger at the media and say it's 'collapsing values' without also pointing your finger at organized religions and admitting that some of their 'moral values' aren't really moral and those so called 'values' deserve to die.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ik9zeroE

Oh, now this list explains your thread on psychiatry being the antichrist
edit on 15-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

ik9zeroE
At the very root and core of cannibalism is sexual immorality. Perversion and depravity.

I would think at the very root and core of cannibalism is hunger.
Perhaps a psychological need to totally dominate an enemy by eating him and absorbing him.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

My flawlessly accurate list?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

FlyersFan

ik9zeroE
At the very root and core of cannibalism is sexual immorality. Perversion and depravity.

I would think at the very root and core of cannibalism is hunger.
Perhaps a psychological need to totally dominate an enemy by eating him and absorbing him.

You're thinking of two different sorts of appetites. Although, people can and do pervert food itself.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

FlyersFan

sk0rpi0n
TV is just one aspect of the medias mass hypnosis. Growing up/living in a society that has already been brainwashed by the media...can also leave one with the same effect.

Religion is just one aspect of mass hypnosis upon humanity. Growing up/living in a society that has already been brainwashed by religious leaders ... can also leave one with the same effect.

A bunch of what you call 'moral values' isn't all that moral.
Some of it deserves to be collapsing and disappearing.

Religions brainwash people. They use guilt. They use threats of hellfire. They claim to be a connection between God and man, and yet they provide ZERO PROOF that they actually are. In fact, most of what they spew can be debunked.

If a person is going to complain about the media and say it's guilty of social programming and the collapse of 'moral values' ... then it would be hypocritical not to acknowledge that religions have been guilty of the exact same thing. That some of the so called 'moral values' are devoid of negative on humanity.

Organized religions idea of 'moral values' ... put to death homosexuals for being born that way ... devalue women and brainwash them into being subservient to men ... lie and tell people falsehoods in history in order to bolster their claims about being a conduit between God and man (Noahs Ark, Exodus, Abraham, Muhammads 'revelations', Joseph Smiths 'revelations', etc) ... and some say 'go out and kill those who don't believe like we do' ...

You can't point your finger at the media and say it's 'collapsing values' without also pointing your finger at organized religions and admitting that some of their 'moral values' aren't really moral and those so called 'values' deserve to die.

People who do not know the value and the worth of the Church do not know how foolishly mistaken they are. satan wants people to hate the Church. evil revels in getting people to hate Church, God, religion.

I read that the Catholic Church had an income of $97 billion dollars last year. Is that so? Well, I read that psychiatry is a $300 billion dollar per year industry. That's a difference of over $200 billion dollars. Oh. Oh, okay.

The Church gave me shelter, food, a shower and community. The volunteers of the Church are the most amazing people I have ever known. They're GREAT, and they belong to God.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The Church gave me shelter, food, a shower and community. The volunteers of the Church are the most amazing people I have ever known. They're GREAT, and they belong to God.

All that is great
However it in no way lends credence to the existence of biblical god.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

ik9zeroE

AfterInfinity

...No. Here's my thought on that list:

Kudos to Klassified for this one.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

ik9zeroE

AfterInfinity

Where are all the mature adults?

Very, very serious question.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

All that is great
However it in no way lends credence to the existence of biblical god.

Want to know what's so cool, and eye opening?

Thomas David Jones took the Holy Eucharist in outer space.

Looks like God / Christ / Religion was invaluable in the life of a NASA astronaut.

definition: Holy Eucharist

It's really sad if people fail to see how inspiring, and pretty awesome, that is.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I brought up preying on the weak and cannibalism as ''natural acts'', because you were claiming that homosexuality is normal because other species do it.

But DO other species actually "do it" beyond demonstrating who's alpha? I have never seen any evidence or proof that male animals of any species actually allows another male of its species to anally penetrate and complete the act. They almost certainly never reject the opposite gender to set up housekeeping together and will fight any other male that threatens its territory and its "harem".

What we do know is that males (and sometimes females) of various species sometimes kill or abandon their young, its normal for them, particularly when there is an obvious physical deformity. But of course being of a "higher species", humans don't have to wait until AFTER their young are born to kill them, healthy or otherwise, we've found clever ways of pre-eliminating unplanned and unwanted next generations. Between increasing scarcity of resources (economic hardship) and an utter lack of personal responsibility this, too, has become normal. But separating us yet again from the animals, societal proscription on post birth infanticide remains intact, but for how long? And why does that proscription exist?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by EnPassant

The countries Harris mentioned are the way they are because they inherited their morality from historical Church influence.

Christianity owns morality. It's theirs and the heathens are merely borrowing it. We hear this a lot. It's asinine.

Do you believe morality existed prior to Christ? Prior to Judaism?
edit on 15-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

No, I never said Christianity owns morality. Christianity borrowed from many things. Yes, morality existed prior to Christ. See The Axial Age

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
You said a society without religion would fall apart. I showed societies that are primarily non-religous that are not only not falling apart but are doing better than societies that are primarily religious. You say that is "amateurish". Whatever logic helps you sleep at night.

I said that without spiritual substance the world will become morally bankrupt. The countries you mentioned are not non religious. They have a rich inheritance from religion, whatever they happen to be at present. I lived, for over a year, in one such country. It is materialistic and spiritually dead. I hear 14% of the population is on medication for various mental problems. The moral decline of the world, the fall of Christianity and the rise of humanism and atheism are simultaneous. That is not a coincidence. But you will never see my point. I believe that the world is sustained by God's grace. If we don't have that grace, through neglect, the world will fall into darkness. This kind of thinking is, apparently, not acceptable to you so you will never see my argument as I do.

edit on 15-2-2014 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

ik9zeroE

AfterInfinity

ik9zeroE

AfterInfinity

Where are all the mature adults?

Very, very serious question.

I guess I have to explain it. See, a lot of what you're talking about seems to be a byproduct of "freedom of information". We want to know something, we can find out in a matter of minutes or seconds. This also leaves plenty of room for misinformation and finely crafted advertisements designed to plant seeds and cultivate movements. "Freedom of information" applies just as much to those who want to talk as it does to those who want to listen. Freedom doesn't mean you are restricted to only the purely constructive and purely productive forms of activity. That's called censorship. So what you're suggesting is censoring our culture because it offends your personal definition of "appropriate"?

Because that's what it sounds like to me.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

racasan

EnPassant

Lucid Lunacy

You said a society without religion would fall apart. I showed societies that are primarily non-religous that are not only not falling apart but are doing better than societies that are primarily religious. You say that is "amateurish". Whatever logic helps you sleep at night.

But there is more to it than this. The moral fibre of the world depends on the spiritual substance of the world. If mankind loses its spirituality this moral inheritance will evaporate.

Great but that's speculative. No evidence for any of that.

No evidence of your biblical god nor his morality.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Raptor Jesus also disagree with you. They believe in secular humanism. They created the World they would know. Prove that wrong.

Avoid Harris, he, like Dawkins, is simplistic to the point of embarrassment.

Thanks for the suggestion but no thanks. My experience has shown me otherwise. Instead I will enjoy the likes of Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, David Dennett, Dan Barker,Lawrence Krauss. Their debates and their books.

At the time of Christ the Roman Empire ruled. What kind of world do you think we would have today if this empire had been allowed to continue? Do you think, without the Church's influence, it would have suddenly become moral or would its darkness have continued to the present day? If it did Europe today might be in complete darkness. An Orwellian prison.

the Church - right
KNOW YOUR POPES - enjoy
www.facebook.com...

Yes, there have been evil popes. So what? There have been evil non religious as well, Stalin, Hussein, Hitler (nominal religious). Evil has sometimes entered the Church. It is a pity but that does not make the Church evil. It makes it imperfect. There used to be Communist spies in the U.S. Does that make the U.S. Communist?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

EnPassant

racasan

EnPassant

Lucid Lunacy

But there is more to it than this. The moral fibre of the world depends on the spiritual substance of the world. If mankind loses its spirituality this moral inheritance will evaporate.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Raptor Jesus also disagree with you. They believe in secular humanism. They created the World they would know. Prove that wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion but no thanks. My experience has shown me otherwise. Instead I will enjoy the likes of Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, David Dennett, Dan Barker,Lawrence Krauss. Their debates and their books.

At the time of Christ the Roman Empire ruled. What kind of world do you think we would have today if this empire had been allowed to continue? Do you think, without the Church's influence, it would have suddenly become moral or would its darkness have continued to the present day? If it did Europe today might be in complete darkness. An Orwellian prison.

the Church - right
KNOW YOUR POPES - enjoy
www.facebook.com...

Yes, there have been evil popes. So what? There have been evil non religious as well, Stalin, Hussein, Hitler (nominal religious). Evil has sometimes entered the Church. It is a pity but that does not make the Church evil. It makes it imperfect. There used to be Communist spies in the U.S. Does that make the U.S. Communist?

Then by that argument, there are many other institutions just as adequately equipped to handle the responsibilities you place on the church. None are any less perfect than the church - that is to say, the church is as guilty as any of them.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

EnPassant

racasan

EnPassant

Lucid Lunacy

the Church - right
KNOW YOUR POPES - enjoy
www.facebook.com...

Then by that argument, there are many other institutions just as adequately equipped to handle the responsibilities you place on the church. None are any less perfect than the church - that is to say, the church is as guilty as any of them.

I only used the Church as one example. There are many other examples I could have used, as sources of morality. If mankind is not spiritual it will not be moral. It will be overcome by evil. Humanism cannot overcome evil because evil is a spiritual reality. Evil is a corruption of man's rightful spirituality. If mankind cannot be truly spiritual it will become evil.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

EnPassant

AfterInfinity

EnPassant

racasan

EnPassant

Lucid Lunacy

the Church - right
KNOW YOUR POPES - enjoy
www.facebook.com...

I only used the Church as one example. There are many other examples I could have used, as sources of morality. If mankind is not spiritual it will not be moral. It will be overcome by evil. Humanism cannot overcome evil because evil is a spiritual reality.

We just had this discussion. You have been provided with examples of nonspiritual societies that functioned just as well as, if not better than, a spiritual society.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

EnPassant

AfterInfinity

EnPassant

racasan

EnPassant

Lucid Lunacy

the Church - right
KNOW YOUR POPES - enjoy
www.facebook.com...

I only used the Church as one example. There are many other examples I could have used, as sources of morality. If mankind is not spiritual it will not be moral. It will be overcome by evil. Humanism cannot overcome evil because evil is a spiritual reality.

We just had this discussion. You have been provided with examples of nonspiritual societies that functioned just as well as, if not better than, a spiritual society.

If you are talking about the societies mentioned in the quote from Sam Harris, no, these are not nonspiritual. They have a rich inheritance from Christianity. Consider North Korea instead, where religion is suppressed.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

EnPassant

AfterInfinity

EnPassant

AfterInfinity

EnPassant

racasan

EnPassant

Lucid Lunacy

the Church - right
KNOW YOUR POPES - enjoy
www.facebook.com...

If you are talking about the societies mentioned in the quote from Sam Harris, no, these are not nonspiritual. They have a rich inheritance from Christianity. Consider North Korea instead, where religion is suppressed.

Since your Google button appears to be broken, I'll help you out:

commonsenseatheism.com...

www.danielmiessler.com...

www.alternet.org...

Don't forget to actually read the articles, as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join