It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh... It's not your country... so lets have a bash at them shall we...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Greetings folks.

I know, I know... certain people are going to start getting all uppity and snotty and start complaining or whining that we are talking too much about the Russian Sochi Olympic games... YET AGAIN...

SO WHAT???

We have discussed here on ATS a HUMONGOUS amount of topics and if my memory serves me right, many of those topics concern YOUR country no?

However, we are talking about the fact that if you break down that "wall" that you hide behind, you would be surprised to find that there are other countries outside of that wall that have REAL people such as yourself living in them and suffering or enduring similar everyday situations such as yours too...

I have contributed to a recent thread concerning the way certain "GUTTER PRESS" MSM journalists have been twittering because of the state of their hotel rooms... For goodness sake???

Here is an extract I emitted to that particular thread, for which I personally would like to share before the thread goes down the line "so to speak" :

I know this is humour (well, i hope it is?)... However, I personally take off my blinkers and take media bla bla with a pinch of salt AP.

16 years ago, I had the possibility to visit St Petersburg for a week with my second half and stayed in a 4 star hotel... YES the water was brown and yes I found cigarette butts under my bed...

Did I complain or start yelling out to the world how uncivilized Russia was?

NO...

The reason being was that I understood that the people who actually worked in those hotels were on very poor pay and could not do much about it... A job is a job... and in post Soviet Russia people will do anything to live and make a couple of Rubles or dollars...

The amount of times we visited historic monuments and met old age people outside asking for DOLLARS....

The reason being was that I understood the fact that they were doing their best (even 16 years ago) to show the world "another" and in their eyes an even better type of Russia...

When we arrived at the hotel and went down to the reception to explain (not complain)... that brown water was running out of the taps, they explained that the pumping station was not working correctly for lack of funding (state funded)... HOWEVER, they did underline the fact that FREE bottled water, (as much as we needed) was available by simple request... (they were even willing to heat it for our bath...)

During our weeks stay, (we were with roughly 20 other colleagues), the Russian people were so nice to us and were extremely proud to share their history and patrimony without getting all MEGA big headed and patriotic as some other countries tend to do...

The journalists that are tweeting at the moment are just a bunch of Bull Sh******ers who have nothing better to do than spread propaganda crap to the sheeple from countries outside of Russia as they know this will make money for them.

I have read all of the posts here and to be quite honest I am ashamed to be a "westerner" when I read some of the snide remarks on this thread... I bet half of the people who have made those comments have never even taken of their slippers and set foot out of their own village/town/city???

Whatever happened to respect and tolerance? I suggest that posters here read this article and also read in-between the lines : www.theguardian.com...

I would also like to suggest to certain posters here that there is a thing called RESPECT of cultural differences and that YOUR country is not the only one in the world.

If I may, why not study this too : www.racismnoway.com.au...

But then again, some people will not even take a couple of minutes to read it and still continue to blab on about something that they do not wish to even TRY to understand... That is your choice and I respect your opinion, however, I feel certain sorrow for you.

Kindest respects Rodinus

Ps. AND NO... for those closed minded people out there, I am not a Pinko Commy... those McCarthy days are well and happily over...

Deny ignorance (Proud to be a REAL ATSer)
edit on 7/2/14 by Rodinus because: Link and text fixed

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I agree completely with you, I am one of those that, when time allows would rather be somewhere in BFE south Asia, than in the states. I guess these reporters are used to having someone wipe their @$$es for them where ever they go.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Good to hear from someone who has visited Russia, and is not part of some vast media machine, with an angle and a chip on his shoulder!

Regarding one other thing I heard, about toilet paper being disposed of there in waste bins, rather than being flushed, it is exactly the same in much of Greece. I visited my aunt there about twelve years back, and when we went to the toilet there, we had to dispose of our paper in a receptacle, placed near the toilet seat, on the right hand side. Apparently, their sewerage system was not designed to deal with paper as well as poop!

There are some places on the planet, where one is lucky if one does not have to dig ones own hole to squat over! Who cares!? The adage is, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, not when in Rome spend the entire time journalising every snide and uncharitable thought about the nation you are in, and the way it's infrastructure works!

I do not travel these days. A combination of being skint, and realising that I can have more fun, in three loud days of rock music, with no passport and no security nonsense, have bound me to my island nation. But for those who do travel, I think it is the height of rudeness to go to foreign places, and lambast them on twitter over something so simple. By all means, when the police get heavy handed with you, write a book. When the politicians decide that you need to be isolated from the rest of society until you leave, write a trash piece in some god awful rag, but do not sit there on twitter spitting one hundred and forty character bullets of bile and derision.

To do so makes these press persons terrible ambassadors for their nations and news papers.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
S&F for you and I AGREE.

I have never traveled further than a handful of states away from Virginia myself, but still find it difficult to believe there are so many that never consider that the rest of the world doesn't live the same way we do (regardless of the reasons) and THAT IS OK. The US does have a bad habit of ASSuming that every country should live the way we do and they should WANT to live the way we do, when in reality we just are not as great in other's eyes as we are in our own most of the time.

A lot of us do live day to day and never think about anything outside of our own *57 (
) states. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak. We are taught that we are the greatest nation on earth since we are old enough to understand, so most can't fathom why other places would not have the same standards of living as we do, or why they would not want them.

We have created a massive amount of wussies and it is starting to show more and more. We conquered the wild frontier once upon a time.... now we can't go camping without a porta john and satellite dish. If every whim is not attended to as we see fit, we melt down. Not having 5 flat screens, gourmet meals, gold faucets, and Tom Bodett to "Leave a Light On" for us ranks right up there with living in a 3rd world nation it seems.

Not all of us Americans are like that, but there are a fair amount of them out there. If one wants to vacation in the same amount of luxury America provides for them.... they would do well to not leave the country. Our standards are not everyone else's. I have seen all of the complaining and a lot of it is laughable IMO. I have stayed at places here that had worse accomodations. Maybe it's just where I am not used to the high end lifestyle. I would hate to think I got so angry about some small stuff and let it ruin the chance to make some awesome new memories.

edit on 2/7/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I have been all over the world and visited over 60 countries all in all...

In each country I have experienced many wonderful, enriching, strange and weird, (even disgusting) things that I was not used to, taking into consideration my country of origin and the way I was educated... As you say... "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Even got bitten by fleas in my hotel room which was infested at the Marriot 5 star hotel in San Diego 3 years ago...

I didn't "Tweet" or go all rabid on the hotel staff... just kindly went down to reception, explained the situation and they relocated me to another room... I remember that for 2 months I got a call once a week in France from Marriot asking if I was ok... (probably sh*t scared that I would file a law suit against them...)

Such a shame that WE (supposedly civilized) westerners have come to that...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 7/2/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I like this thread already. I for one think the complaining is a bit ridiculous. We get it, it's not the Four Seasons, with butlers, fresh lemons, organic goods, and maids at their beckon call. Did the ancient athletes in the 8th century have room service and fancy hotels to stay in?

I say, stop being a whiny spoiled baby!

I remember my first time traveling in India. What a surprise it was to find that the toilet was a hole in the floor, and that most bathrooms, you wash with a bucket of water. Did I put up a fuss, run to the airport and insist on leaving the country?

I love traveling. I hope to visit Russia someday. I don't really care if my room is not that great as long as there are no bugs and rats. lol

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Ha, the Russians should send all those reporters down to Taipei for the weekend. If the 4" cockroaches don't get them just wait until the first one steps in a open benjo ditch. Yee haw!

Sad to see this type of mouthyness from people representing our countries. As you say, many people need to get out of town/city/country for a bit and visit the rest of the world. There's a lot more to see than endless overpasses and strip-malls.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

The way I see it is the yankee doodle media will make Russia look as bad as they can, they are the old enemy after all and they want the Sochi games to fail miserably.

If you have no respect for the local customs then you don't belong in the country. And it's maddening to think that these whiners are posting everything online via Twit central rather than approaching the organizers themselves. If I was one of the thousands of people who made the games happen I would be hoping the door hits them in the @$$ on the way out.

edit on 7-2-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It's very simple .... when you pay top dollar for a 'luxury Olympic hotel' in a country that isn't supposed to be a third world country .. then that is what you are supposed to get. You aren't supposed to get a trashed room with no pillows, shower curtains, door knobs, etc. When CNN makes reservations for 11 rooms and are told they absolutely will be ready, but only one room is built so your business is screwed ... that is worth reporting.

I find it very strange that people want to give the situation a free pass and that they don't want it reported. The fact that Russia is so corrupt that it couldn't get ready for the Olympics ... but every other country on the planet was able to do so ... that is newsworthy. The corruption in Russia caused this. It's news. It should be reported.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
The way I see it is the yankee doodle media will make Russia look as bad as they can, they are the old enemy after all and they want the Sochi games to fail miserably.

- Russia is making itself look bad. Its corruption caused this failure.
- CNN and NBC aren't 'yankee doodle media'. They hate the right and hug on the left.
- No one thinks 'Russia is the enemy' anymore. Comeon ... that's soooo 25 years ago.
- The press has NO STEAK in if Sochi looks good or bad. None.
- The press would do better for themselves if they kept quiet about the problems. Russia will retaliate.
It could easily cut their press passes and cause problems in the future for the networks that are reporting
the failings. So for the press to speak out about what the corruption has caused hurts themselves.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

FlyersFan
It's very simple .... when you pay top dollar for a 'luxury Olympic hotel' in a country that isn't supposed to be a third world country .. then that is what you are supposed to get. You aren't supposed to get a trashed room with no pillows, shower curtains, door knobs, etc. When CNN makes reservations for 11 rooms and are told they absolutely will be ready, but only one room is built so your business is screwed ... that is worth reporting.

I find it very strange that people want to give the situation a free pass and that they don't want it reported. The fact that Russia is so corrupt that it couldn't get ready for the Olympics ... but every other country on the planet was able to do so ... that is newsworthy. The corruption in Russia caused this. It's news. It should be reported.

What really bugs me is the following :

Have many posters even tried to do a little research (WE ALL HAVE GOOGLE), into why is Russia is corrupted?

I know the response already : Pics or it didn't happen... come on then Rodinus, give us some proof...

Come on ATSers... open your eyes... show us WHY YOU ARE HERE AT ATS...

Who REALLY Denies ignorance?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 7/2/14 by Rodinus because: Wrong settings

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

FlyersFan

I love reading your posts and respect your opinion (s) FF...

However... would you say the same thing if this was reported by foreign journalists about your country?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I love reading your posts and respect your opinion (s) FF...

However... would you say the same thing if this was reported by foreign journalists (or gutter press if i may say so)... about your country?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 7/2/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Sir Americans are raised in a culture that always implies they are the best they are #1, its the normal thing for them to feel their country is the best and anything else must be called as the inferior hell hole it is, its almost like programed in their thinking so addressing this to American individuals is waste of time, they will just see to their left and see an American doing the same and to the right to see the same and conclude you are wrong and they are right.

Not all are like this of course its bad to generalize and everywhere there are individuals that just stand above the rest
edit on 7-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I have worked in maintenance on Six hotels for 9 years, and the complains that people come up with are hillarious, everything from flies in the rooms(summertime, flies comes inside when you open the window) to " Your country is to hot, to cold ", there is no limit to what people will come up with to try and get a reduction in price or a new and better room, or simply cause they want to be the master race that can control their surroundings.

It prettty much boils down to minor fixes most of the times cause things do break once in a hwile, but the guest is allways right so they will be serviced to satisfy their needs cause a happy guest is a returning guest.

The complains are allways next to nothing compared to to the satisfied guest, but the unhappy guest will allways be the one shouting the loudest.

The same is going on with the journalist in the Sochi case, they will be heard the most cause they are the loudest, the happy ones will just be quiet and enjoy their stay.

It goes on anywhere in the world and it's not limited to Russia or any other " poor " country.
edit on 7-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Put it this way - I couldn't care less about the Winter Olympics nor could I care less about Russia. In the last few months they have not only shown how pathetic they are and waste of space their citizens are. Call me rude but it's a shame it wasn't Putins relatives that were slaughtered in one of the Nazi camps. Russia would have benefited from being taken down by Hitler.

It would save a lot of heart ache that comes from that country today.

Don't get me started about the way they treat Gays, or the animals that are on the streets. Telling the citizens to bring in dead animals instead of bringing them in alive and euthanizing them. Makes me sick.

So, yes, I will be boycotting Russian products as well as not participating in watching the Winter Olympics.

Your OP just seems to be sympathizing with the Russians. I wouldn't be surprised if you were Russian yourself.

edit on 00am02000000America/ChicagoFriday1990 by samuel1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

“Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything.”
-Steve Martin

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."
-Nigel Powers

Comedy uses intolerance and ignorance as a joke, a punchline. Sadly, many in the west don't see the humour and see this as reality.

SnF Rod.

Regards,

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I have been to a lot of the south east Asian countries.... No brown water ever. You can't drink it, but no brown water & you can wash your face with it lol.

So you are saying that a country rich as Russia, with those billions spent on preparing the city for this event....can't even have water the same quality as a poor Asian country?

ROFL!

Russia blew it and it looks like they are more corrupt than any western country!

Good one

edit on 7-2-2014 by ChuckNasty because: added & stuff

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
When I was stationed in Germany, I took my family out to the town. We shopped at the local markets, we immersed ourselves in the culture.
My (at the time) seven year old son balked at this.

I explained that different countries had different things and lived differently from how we did.

He understood and began to see things differently. From a cultural perspective.

Funny how a seven year old can get it, but many adults can't.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Rodinus
However... would you say the same thing if this was reported by foreign journalists about your country?

If foreign journalists came to this country ... and paid big $$ for hotel rooms ... and those rooms were not finished; were trashed; were pumping out yellow acid water; had no door knobs; had no showers or shower curtains; had no floors; etc etc .... yes I'd say that someone screwed up big time and that it was a severe embarrassment to my country.

CNN paid big $$ to book 11 rooms .. they got one crappy one. This effects their business.

When a country says they are going to host the Olympics .. that's what they are supposed to do .. HOST IT. A good host takes care of guests. A good host puts out the best guest towels and serves the best dinners. A good host takes care of guests.

Russia shouldn't have offered to host the Olympics if it couldn't handle it.
And obviously they can't handle it.

I"m not screaming 'USA USA USA' .... I"m just stating that, in addition to the story about the Olympic results, the other story here is how corruption is running crazy in Russia and so Russia couldn't get itself ready for the Olympics (even though every other country hosting the games could). It's a valid story. (Just as the bombing here in the USA during the Atlanta Olympics was a valid story ... a valid story about how poor a job the authorities did in trying to pin it on Richard Jewel)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join