It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judging members by their Avatars

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I've been here long enough to see that most people don't want to show themselves in an avatar. For good reason, I suppose. Anonymity is best when talking about alot of the topics on this forum, so as to keep any type of gender/race/creed bias at bay. Sometimes people are just frightened to show their face with certain stigmas attached. To me, sometimes I'll put up an avatar that shows my face and keep it up long enough so that readers get a sense of seriousness from my posts...and sometimes I just use the one I have now, because it's from the 2012 transit of Venus.

I used to judge by avatars but only when they were personal pictures. I guess that was the young man in me getting attracted to a few females. Now, I mainly read someone's post to determine their character although I try not to judge anyone these days. It's not my gig anymore. There are far too many people who are much more intelligent than I'll ever be, and on topics I'll never even bother to understand. That is what makes ATS so fun and addicting.

I appreciate everyone's input at this site, and that includes those I disagree with.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Don't pay much attention to avatars myself. I'm only irritated by the ones whose colors obscure the poster's name. Sometimes it may be intentional - but I am colorblind, so I'm guessing this problem is more often just my own.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't judge and sometimes it helps me remember a member better, at last better than someone who has no avatar. Have I been judged in the past for avatars? Yes, numerous times. Others too have been grouped into a similar unfair assessment.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wildtimes owl in the snow is one of my favorites!!!!!
Love Jacygirl's too!!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

kalunom
Don't pay much attention to avatars myself. I'm only irritated by the ones whose colors obscure the poster's name. Sometimes it may be intentional - but I am colorblind, so I'm guessing this problem is more often just my own.

I find his too, and I'm not color blind.

I do wish people felt more comfortable giving their state, or at least country location in their avatar. When they talk about an event where they're at, you have no idea where it's occurring! They almost never sawy, so you're wondering if you should run outside in your Pjs in subzero weather at 11:30 PM to see if the 'mother ship' is overhead!

They eventually mention their general location in some post, so it's not really 'secret' anymore, anyway!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Bigburgh
Well its 3:11 am....lucky for me I'm a better cook than artist...there is a game later today..and hungry faces here..so good night or morning where ever you all are..oh and ground hogs too!

Food - now that's a catagory of possible avatars that I have seen at all. Anyone out there got a food avatar?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Avatars have taught me that John Lithgow is very, very intelligent!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

And my avatar says what about me?

LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

beezzer

LOL

That you are sad because the world just doesn't see how cuddly you really are?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Dear FryeByrd,

Somebody gave me a food avatar awhile back, it had cucumbers, bananas, lots of good stuff. If I recall, it was being shown off by a young lady. For some reason the moderators said it violated T&C, so I've stayed away from food avatars since then.

With respect (but no taste, whatsoever),
Charles1952

And, no, I don't know why I wrote this. It must be alien possession.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

buster2010

beezzer

LOL

That you are sad because the world just doesn't see how cuddly you really are?

LMAO!

Exactly!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I notice 'Ricky mouse' as a level headed member, and 'Phage', the rest seem to change often enough. Avitars...... well I see them as self appreciation. It seems the more grandiose the avitar, the higher regard the owner has for themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I win where is my cookie?.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

No, I CLEARLY win!

love you all!!!!

p.s. thanks to everyone who has complimented my current choice of avatar. I like it, too. I always try to "color coordinate" them - like I do with my clothes. It's a disease. I'm taking pills for it.

edit on 2/2/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

boymonkey74
I win where is my cookie?.

LOL ... You clearly received less spoken credit than deserved. Allow me to make up for it.
Busiest monkey on the boards.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Just for this thread Im using one of my first avatars I ever used on my previous account.

( and the senile Djarums will STILL never figure out who I am.... I heard those clove ciggs cause brain damage. )

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

i don't understand why you chose to portay yourself standing on the shoulder of a human?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

taoistguy
reply to post by jacygirl

i don't understand why you chose to portay yourself standing on the shoulder of a human?

Because she is the "Mother of Dragons"....lol...
I call it "Selfie with Mom"!!

jacygirl

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Go ahead and judge me...

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

beezzer

LOL

I would actually love to see Beezer's take on mine as he knows what I look like from the Regents election..

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join