It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judging members by their Avatars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I don't like avatars, so they should be banned.

At least they don't make noises.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

FyreByrd
Girly avatars (am I spelling it right?) I tend to pay attention to ...
Silly avatars - I like but don't always associate then with deep thought.
Specific Character avatars, from story or reality - I don't trust ..

Geeeeze .. then you must really freak out when you see my avatar. A silly girly goth character from Southpark. According to you - you pay attention to my posts but automatically think they are not 'deep thought' and are untrustworthy ... all because I have Henrietta as my avatar. Those are kinda opposite things to do. My avatar must be a real headache for ya'.

edit on 2/2/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Forgot to say .... WILDTIMES has my favorite avatar at this time. An owl in a snowstorm.
I love winter and owls are my favorite critters. It has movement and it has feeling ...
It's calm and peaceful and quiet ...

That being said, I don't think avatars influence my posting. I admit a few have annoyed me.
The ones that get preachy about religion. But the posts by the poster usually reflect their
all consuming religious beliefs anyways ... so they'd annoy me anyways ... ya' know?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Cool thread !

I've changed avatars numerous times but fell in love with a Harry Potter character (Sirius Black) and had a different version of him that was made by Zarniwoop in the BTS Avatar Creations thread. Some peeps like it (its right eye blinks) and some other members hate it or get freaked out by it. Can't please everyone I guess.

The one I have now is simply representing Team Canada for the coming Sochi games.

I really enjoy avatars. Some are extremely beautiful, some are creepy, some are funny, some don't make no sense at all (to me), some are pieces of art, really. I enjoy them all.

I tend not to judge by the avatar and the only problem I see with them is that, once in a while, trying to figure out if the member behind it is male or female is a challenge. I've been mislead tons of times lol...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hi OP and Everyone!
I don't judge anyone by their avatar here, but there is one thing that confuses me.
If someone has a female avatar...I tend to assume that they are female. And vice versa.
(I should never assume, lol)

I chose my avatar for numerous reasons. I don't think you can really tell a lot from the avatar, only certain aspects of the member.
Oh, and rickymouse's avi always makes me think of Thor's hammer for some reason...?
Interesting thread!

jacygirl

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thx! You know, I've gotten more inquiries/comments about this one than any of the others I've used.
I think it's pretty. Of all the ones I have used, I keep them in my uploads, and sometimes rotate them back in.

I thought this one was gorgeous. I poke around on "Images" just with a basic word or phrase to find ones I like. They reflect my current mood most of the time, but they always mean Something to me.

I've often wondered where the members find those really slow-loop avies - like just hair moving in the breeze, or eyes blinking, or a glance/wink/smile.

I just figured out how to find gifs (animated pics) and resize them - using online sources. Not savvy enough to do it myself, nor patient enough to sit and learn how.

As for judging by them? Yes, they always 'reflect' something about the person's attitude or psyche, interests or passions - like 'clothes' or 'hair and makeup', if you will....
those with none I either think are new/unsavvy, or not invested much.... ???

ETA: Oh, and yeah, the ones with pierced eyeball and bug crawling out make me cringe. I can barely read the posts when those things are looking at me. Creepy and gross at the same time. Ewww!!

edit on 2/2/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
when I have time I participate in the Avvie making thread, and I enjoy being able ot make them for people, and a lot of the requests come through as someone trying to say something about themselves with theirs, mine well...

Mine is a demon girl... as Tenth can tell you my temper is known and gets me in trouble, and I'm a hellion to deal with

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I judge myself from my avatars, and personally avoid my posts. This current one (whoops, missed it, now its an airship surveying the pyramids, how did that happen?) puts one of the cloud images that some said I was kidding about front and center, on a cloud of witch smoke. I change mine every once in awhile, just for fun and to play (I consider ATS a very good playground for adults).

Everyone's avatars here are usually nice to look at. My favorite I haven't seen in awhile, that guy sitting under a deluge of water. Sometimes I get surprised at the creativity of the avatars, it's liking walking through an art gallery at times. Lurkers miss all of that, which is why I can't understand why someone lurking doesn't just sign up under a username, even if they never post a thing.
edit on 2-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Uh Oh, i'm f..... Everybody hates me

"That explain why i'm allways having nightmare's of feets stomping around me."

I think some avatars means a lot, and it's most visible when they change them, it's like you are talking to a complet new person, but judging them for their avatar i never do.

My avatars really represent my worst fear, and that i can overcome that fear.
edit on 2-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If you're using a picture of yourself as your avatar you're probably not all that bright but find yourself quite swell and are more than likely a douche. Or you might just be old.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I am compelled to reply and I don't know why really, I don't care what a person's avatar is. I notice it if it jumps out at you with quality and color.

Judging a person by there avatar would be like judging a person for there looks...kind of shallow... sorry if that offends anyone.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I am not to be trusted, ever.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

LizardSlicks
If you're using a picture of yourself as your avatar you're probably not all that bright but find yourself quite swell and are more than likely a douche. Or you might just be old.

Either that, or, everyone claims that their avatars "represent them" in some way.

There is no better way to "represent" yourself, then with a picture of yourself.

Maybe, a person who uses their own picture as an avatar, has no schism between their concept of self and their physical self?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

Yes but they are almost always posed for selfies. I don't see something so contrived as a true portrayal of actual self.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

LizardSlicks

Hey now.. When I first joined..I thought we were supposed to use a pic of ourselves.. Duh me!!!
I'm not that bright(brain injury)...and well yeah I do think I'm quite swell(hah).... But I don't think I'm a douche
and I'm not old yet... I'll be 30 this year!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!

**Avatars are fun. I don't judge by avatars.. I read their words and go from there.. I really don't judge anyone.. Seeing as it's quite inappropriate ..
I switch my avatar a lot. I'm usually a cat... Since I'm nat the blue eyed cat in all
Hahahaha!

Mine wasn't a selfie...my first avatar of myself

edit on 2-2-2014 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I only registered recently after being a lurker for a long time, so I've only just started to see people's Avatars - there is a lot of extremely beautiful artwork on display, as well as the use of images from movies and the like. I don't think I'd judge anyone by their Avatar, but it can certainly draw me to people who may have a similar taste to mine.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

LizardSlicks

Yes but they are almost always posed for selfies. I don't see something so contrived as a true portrayal of actual self.

Ah, you meant the duck-faced, #YOLOing crowd.

Yeah, my avatar isn't a selfie (I didn't take the picture), but that is definitely me.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Your avatar is not focusing all the attention on a complimentary angle of your face. And you obscured the distinguishable/identifiable part of your face. The type of person I was talking about makes their stupid face front and center.

PS you have a pretty mouth.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

jacygirl
Hi OP and Everyone!
I don't judge anyone by their avatar here, but there is one thing that confuses me.
If someone has a female avatar...I tend to assume that they are female. And vice versa.
(I should never assume, lol)

I chose my avatar for numerous reasons. I don't think you can really tell a lot from the avatar, only certain aspects of the member.
Oh, and rickymouse's avi always makes me think of Thor's hammer for some reason...?
Interesting thread!

jacygirl

Right! I always look at the avitar and moniker for clues as to gender, but with some it can be so misleading!
After reading tons of posts thinking one was 'this' gender, then finding out it's the opposite, gives everything they have posted a new context!

One poster I was positive was a very unhappy, aggressive, argumentative female once mentioned their gender, and all of my preconceived ideas about them changed in an instant!

Your avatar makes me envision someone with the innocents of a child who hasn't yet been tainted by prejudices or hate, and your posts verify this, tainted by the wisdom of a very old soul. I always 'perk up' when I see your avy, and know there will be some good 'soul food' in your post!
edit on 70000001111America/Chicago281 by nugget1 because: Correct spelling

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Aww...nugget1...thank you SO much! That was lovely to read.
(I'm always happy to see you too, lol...a voice of reason in a mad mad world)
You actually described me very well...I do appreciate the compliment-parts, hehe.

I don't think the avatar is much to go by on it's own, but if you get to know the personality of the member...then sometimes it appears to fit very well. (Think Cheesy....adorable...I was never sure if he was a 'he' or a 'she', but it didn't even matter).

jacygirl

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join