It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judging members by their Avatars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Do you tend to judge members by their avatars? I'll admit that I do and have to work hard to pay attention to the content of some posts because of it.

Geometric or Abstract avatars, I tend to respect until content shows me otherwise.

Girly avatars (am I spelling it right?) I tend to pay attention to their content and then put them in two groups 1) the ones that go with the majority in order to be liked and 2) those that have something to say and are just well - feminine.

Silly avatars - I like but don't always associate then with deep thought.

Specific Character avatars, from story or reality - I don't trust for some reason, but I do pay attention to. I worry about the indentification factor - role models are great, but .....

Militaristic avatars - always make me think of over compensation as in "The size of the car is inversely proportional to.... (fill in the blank) but only with modern - the more historical models make me feel more secure rather then hostile.

Then there are the changing avatars - I envy the tech savviness. I'd like to change my avatar (if I had one) with my mood (rather like Dame Thatcher did with her broches).

No avater - Like me, not all too tech savy, uncertain of how we want to represent ourselves, maybe too flexible in sense of self.

How do you perceive different avatars? What kinds of groupings do you see in the classes of avatars?

Which kind make you hostile on sight, smile on sight, confident on sight, etc....

Oh - I forgot the animated ones - loath those (all but one mesmerizing geometic one) - way too self-centered.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

My thoughts on avatars are they give some insight into the member inner psych and where they are at this point in time with their lives and mindset.

The only ones I don't really like are the mesmerizing animated avatars as they are distracting. Other than that they sort of put a face to the poster.

If you (or anyone else) wants help with one I'm sure the avatar team here would be more than happy to assist you in creating one and placing it correctly. They're a very friendly and helpful group.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Dear FyreByrd,

I'm sorry, but I don't think my avatar fits into any of your categories. It was made for me by ATS' Avatar Team, because they said they didn't like the one I had.

When I see other's avatars I might conclude something about the person, but never very much or very certainly. I don't pay much attention to them, but of course one can use them to identify old friends.

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 1-2-2014 by charles1952 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I picked Lopan because Big Trouble Little China was my favorite movie when I was a young kid... It's not because I know magic or can have beams of light shoot out from my mouth ... Ok, I lied, I can shoot beams of light from my mouth

And if I like to judge from anything it's from their signature, I think that gives a little insight... If I went off just avatars, I would think ATS was overrun by rabbits. Yes, I'm looking at you Wrabbit, Beezer and all the others...hahahaha
edit on 1-2-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I hate all of you people.

The avatars just let me gauge the level of hate

Just kidding kids.

Avatars generally show the spirit of community. Many of them were made by our own ATS members in the BTS Avatar Creations section and it's really nice to see so much good art be given out to everybody.

Every one of my avatars has been made by an ATS member and I love them all dearly. But, do I judge based on that? Nah, an avatar is just that, a virtual representation. I may hate how you look, but love what you have to say.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I suppose I do judge some people by their avatar, like those of animals or nature like or artistic ones makes me think there is more to them than meets the eye. There is a couple of eye ones that truly creep me out, especially the one where a bug comes crawlig out. YIKES! That one really freaks me out. I have to read their posts quickly to get past the eye!!! LOL

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm pouting.... My doggy got left out! Boo....

But, I get what you are saying. I also remember people by their avies faster than a name.
edit on 1-2-2014 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

I hate all of you people.

The avatars just let me gauge the level of hate

LOL

I kinda do look at AV's and form an opinion. I think it's basic human psychology.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have had the same avatar for quite a spell...not sure where I fall in...abstract I suppose. I like to think my content tends to follow suit. For me and moreover, content tends to prevail first and foremost...from that, I tend to memorize a user's ID and avatar. I will make it a point to stop and read a user's post(s) that I have committed to memory in threads where others I will give more of a glance than a word for word reading.

And by content...well...that varies based on the thread I suppose...you really should seek out one of those "make you an avatar" folks...they truly do some fine work. I made a few user avatars but I have been out of the game for a spell and never really joined in on the BTS thread, I simply did so on a whim at best. There are many members that are quite talented, and if your content is on point, well...I am sure I am not the only one that bases my opinion on other users as such.

All in all, an ATS avatar gives you an individuality that others can contribute to said content...whatever it may happen to be.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I use the avatars mainly to remember who is who. Unless it is an avatar that screams "pm me for sexy chat right now", I don't really judge. Even those I assume are teenage boys most of the time trying to lure some middle aged men into embarrassing situations. There are some avatars I love to see pop up in a thread, and there are some avatars that pop up that make me self conscious of my own (intelligence level) when they show up. There are some that make me laugh just looking at them and there are others that make me cringe (pin in the eyeball). I have never dismissed a poster based on their avatar choice though. Mainly you can tell who likes to be silly sometimes and who is more serious by the choices I think. But who am I?

edit on 2/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I just thought my snowflake was purdy.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I have changed mine about 100 times. I change it often and it depends on my mood. I tend towards superheros but usually from comics that no one has ever heard of. Since I am in my 40's .... they are ones from like 30 years ago.... but again....depends on my mood.

I am glad you asked this question because I have wondered it myself. If it affects people like it does me.

Some are in your face and give you a definitive feeling toward the poster and some are more subtle and don't.

having said all that.....you gotta get one.....

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Yes, I do sometimes get a hard first impression of the poster from the ava: but in the long run I honestly digest every post I can with an open mind... and reserve judgment to another who can see inside. Sometimes we read between the lines of a post to arrive at what we think the person may be like. Most times I'm personally wrong that way. I found out long ago you have to let go to get a clue.

Admitting to my own duality, that longest standing roommate of mine is no exception, and a perigrine pigeon. A tough shell on a real marshmallow, maybe we were meant for each other. I don't know the Lobster's birthday, but am almost sure he's a Rat Capricorn... jealous bastard.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I am actually Humphrey Bogart reincarnated...

soo, yeah --- well this is awkward.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You left out nature type ones. I'm nowhere near as important as the world in which I live. I think people with natural avatars without people/things/characters/superheroes in them tend to see things as bigger than themselves..? My thoughts anyhoo.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I usually don't see the avatars because I need to zoom in to read. Then the avatar is out of sight.

When I do see them, it can affect how I feel.

Cheesy has the best one. Makes him look like a friendly, happy, lovable guy. He lives up to his image

Phage looks like a miserable man . I don't like it.

Therefor I don't have one. I don't want to stand out or be remembered for my previous post that might have been offensive.

edit on 1-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Your avatar is one of my favourites. It represents you well. From what I can tell anyways. You seem to be a nice compassionate person.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I like your as well.
I wouldn't even know where to start designing what represents me. My mood changes every five minutes. I don't even like my username but I'm stuck with it. Purple text is as daring as I care to go.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Star on that. I personally kinda find the people with cartoon animal avatars are my favorite to read, kangaroos and RABBITS especially.
I remember when I finally joined after many years of lurking thinking my avatar should reflect my attitude as well as the idea of not being exactly who you say you are.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
the avatar that can be looked at is not the real person.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join