It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Louisiana Public School Cramming Christianity Down Students’ Throats

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Public schools never shoved atheism down my throat.... And no, teaching science and math is not cramming atheism down ones' throat

I once had an insane christian claim such nonsense before, not saying you think that. Just to clarify, was making a joke, not putting words in your mouth or anything like that.
edit on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:47:44 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Well , it's Better than Cramming Athesism Down their Throats . Praise The Lord !

One wouldn't be 'better' than the other to be forced into.

Plus, Atheism is not a religion. Atheism at it's core is simply a disbelief in the supernatural/divine. Nothing more, nothing less. There are no stories you have to believe, there is no praise or worship, there are no catchy songs to learn, and there are no texts or books to live your life by.

So it would be rather hard to shove the idea of atheism down someones throat. Since the whole concept is very, very short and to the point. There is no room for interpretation or speculation.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Ok, my bad. A long and tired day. Then let me count the times conservative views or Christian views were stomped on in the rest of the nation...ideas fully antipathetic to the general public "rammed down the throats" by the left. Well into the thousandfs....my contempt!

Lets get to the chase.

It's well known that the real bedrock of the "progressive" movement and it's incremental agenda is the U.S. education system. The education/indoctrination process is where the "new breed " is developed.

Louisiana, on the other hand is one of the last bastions-if not the last-of religious/conservative dominance and of course their education/indoctrination. That, of course, is intolerable by the left. It must be crushed, be that by design or reaction.

My personal beef is with the over-centralized federal gov't and the lock-step mandates demanded by the same.

I see the suppression of individual state rights as the same process as of individual rights, often under the same mantra..."fair".

By mechanics and result, I see no practical difference between the Nazis burning books in the '30s and federal control of education. To wit, any ideas, thought processes outside those "endorsed" by the left are stomped on without mercy.

Both parties have my contempt, but the Democrats with Obama as their press agent have outdone themselves.

Still, you avoid my points...
edit on 27-1-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2014 by nwtrucker because: clarification

edit on 27-1-2014 by nwtrucker because: grammar

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

nixie_nox
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

There are schools Louisiana where the Valedictorian graduates with a C average.

Such as? I mean, if you are going to make this claim, might as well back it up no?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I could understand if this kind of thing was happening in private schools where parents and children have a choice on whether to attend or not, but in public schools funded by the state and government? How has this been allowed to happen? Have they not heard of separation of church and state?

This is indoctrination at its finest, where children are rewarded for professing Jesus is Lord and punished for thinking any differently. They even have questions on tests where the children are punished if they don't answer with Christian dogma in mind!

What do you guys think about this? Should this be allowed? If so, why? Isn't forcing certain beliefs on people, much less children, a form of oppression and/or indoctrination?

What makes this so bad IMO… is that Christianity, is really a religion about faith, and not about forced indoctrinations. In fact, I’d go as far as to say, that it’s completely unchristian, to force beliefs onto children, or anyone else, for that matter.

Coming to believe in Jesus, is really a spiritual event in a persons life, and if it has to be taught, then that’s the spirit, and manner, in which in should be done i.e. by allowing children to explore it for themselves, instead of being forced to accept it, under threats and ridicule.

Of course, Christian parents are already indoctrinating/teaching their children Christianity. So if their kids are getting it at home, church and other religious activities, then the question is…do they really need to be getting it in school as well…?

Well, they certainly shouldn’t be getting the forced version of it, to the detriment, of everyone else. And I personally think that a more compromised, toned down version, would be the best approach IMO.

As for enforcing the constitution, I think sometimes a bit of common sense, needs to be applied.

Great thread S+F

- JC

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The core question remains the same though. If you teach creationism, what do you teach. Let's say we all believed in creationism. Or that "God did Create the Universe." Let's say that we all believe it. What would we teach then? Who's god? Genesis? How old is the earth and does that matter? What about the Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Native Americans....You see the problem? No?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

ketsuko
Hmmm, this is what school vouchers are for. Then, schools could be what they are to be, and parents could find the ones that suit them.

Personally, I would rather my son be sent here than to most of the other places out there today, and in fact, my husband and I are scraping our budget to figure out how to send our son to a private, Christian school because there are no public schools that will accommodate faith in any way, thanks to your secular vision.

So our actual education bill will be whatever we wind up spending on a private education + whatever we are forced to pay in property taxes toward schools we will not use because they do not accommodate our beliefs in any way. How is that fair?
edit on 26-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

Why should the system have to work to accommodate you and your beliefs? What makes you any more special than the person next door, or the one across town? Hint, the answer is nothing! If you want your kids surrounded by this type of thing, then that is your choice but be prepared to pay exorbitant fees just for the "privilege", then again you have likely already found out about those. But again, why should everyone else have to conform to your ideals? Why can't School be a religion free zone? An area where learning is safe from religious bias.
edit on 28-1-2014 by looneylupinsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

It's well known that the real bedrock of the "progressive" movement and it's incremental agenda is the U.S. education system. The education/indoctrination process is where the "new breed " is developed.

This comes across as someone who is unaware of what the "Progressive Movement" is about. You hear the word - you start foaming.

What this public school system is doing is indoctrinating kids. You claim you are neither a believer nor a Christian - so it seems that you just looked for a fight where there should be none. It is wrong on many levels to subliminally and overtly "push" Christianity on small children. I've read through the whole thread, and imo, 3NL is spot on.

School is for ACADEMICS. Church/family is for RELIGION. Scrawling Bible verses across a marquis in the office waiting area?

No. Inappropriate.

If parents are too lazy to do the "religious teaching" of their children, then those children are left to the 'village' - which should be NEUTRAL about "religion" - and anyway, homeschooling is ALWAYS AN OPTION. Or, if both parents have to work to provide for the family, even if it's after homework is done for the day, they can provide "God classes" on their own. Although I'd prefer they didn't, because it causes uncritical, mindless acceptance of sketchy thinking and often causes self-loathing, paranoia, and fear.

And as many have already told you - your knowledge of the Founding Fathers' 'spirituality' is appalling.

The Founding Fathers were 200 years AFTER the "Pilgrims." The Pilgrims came here to practice THEIR religion free from British persecution by the "Church" leaders, yes. Do some reading about the history of England from the Middle Ages through the Civil War. It'll help you understand how insidious "public religious propaganda" is to the citizens who don't have access to other outlets and are taught they are unworthy sinners destined for hell.

Deism is - in my estimation - the only 'God-belief' system that makes rational sense, although the Ancient Alien belief system is pretty damned convincing, too.

As so many others have said;
teach kids ABOUT "religion" - in history and social studies; hell INCLUDE Ancient Alien theory in that one! KEEP IT OUT of the general commons areas and administration offices. I've long said that religious studies is best left as an "elective" for inquisitive youths - it has no place in early-grade classrooms. It is brainwashing.

"Progressives" are winning, whether you and Fox News like it or not. I hope you're having a better day; good on you for owning your 'bad-dayness'.

S/F to the OP for promoting the cause.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Thanks for chiming in wild, I always enjoy your input.

Some posters seem to be seeing this as an attack on Christianity, which is just a a part of their "persecution complex", but in reality this is actually an attack on both the children and the Constitution by Christianity, so they have it backwards.

I wonder how they'd feel if the same thing was happening except with Islamic prayer, Quran verses scribbled on the walls, and Islamic based test questions? I'm sure they'd be singing a different tune. Funny how that works isn't it?
edit on 1/28/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I just made a new thread to explore this further. Come join in!!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Religious Beliefs of ANY Faith are Good for Children . They Instill a Moral and Ethical Sense in their Young Growing Minds that will suit them well heading into Adult Life . Those who do not realize that are not very Astute .

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

So anyone who doesn't grow up with religion in their life turns out to be immoral? Is that what you're saying?

I'd say someone who grows up with religion in their life tends to be less tolerant than others because they are told what to believe and that it's the only right answer and anyone who doesn't think the same way is not part of their exclusive club. If you're part of a very small exclusive club that gets eternal life, you tend to look down on others as inferior.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

No , I did Not say that , You Did .

You are Intitled to your Opinion as well as I .

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

That's why I'm asking, I wasn't putting words in your mouth only asking the question.

Do you believe that religion is needed for children to develop a moral compass and that anyone who is not religious ends up being immoral? Just asking.
edit on 1/28/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Maybe, I guess it depends how it is taught. I had zero problems instilling moral values and ethics into my nieces while I had them, without using religion as the vehicle. I simply taught them to empathize with others effectively. Think before they act or say something, how would it make you feel if someone did or said that to them.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

They Instill a Moral and Ethical Sense in their Young Growing Minds that will suit them well heading into Adult Life . Those who do not realize that are not very Astute .

Sorry. But, no.

Religion is not the source of 'morality'.

Being 'astute' means recognizing that human beings have inborn social instincts; we are social creatures. We know what to do.

So, let me push the envelope here:

If your neighbors were jihadists, Islamist radicals, that wanted to dress their 3-4 yo kids in camo and give them toy machine guns, teach them how to crawl under barbed wire, and lob molotov cocktails on other people....you're okay with that kind of 'religion'? Because it's instilling morals?

If your neighbors are Zionists, and want to bomb Iran and all of their neighbors into oblivion; whose leaders get up and walk out of diplomatic meetings rather than talking.... that's cool? People like Hagee? Or Netanyahu? Al-Assad? Prince Salman Saudi over there?

With all due respect, no. Religion does not cause 'morals and ethics.'
It causes division, hatred, bigotry, and strife.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

wildtimes
With all due respect, no. Religion does not cause 'morals and ethics.'
It causes division, hatred, bigotry, and strife.

Then what caused the division and genocide of the Khmer Rouge?
What caused the Young Turks to commit genocide against the Christian majority of Armenians? Was it religious or did it have more to do with political power in the region and memories of past slights?

Is there anything that doesn't cause division, hatred, bigotry and strife?

-FBB

For the record it really is not the place of a public school to be going to such extremes to promote the area's religious culture.

Also for the record, when I attended public school (until 6th grade) here in Arizona I had several teachers who openly mocked all religious belief in class. The only reason I mention it is because I was tutoring 8th graders to help them learn 4th grade math. Not being religious does NOT make anyone more intelligent or discerning.
edit on 28-1-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

edit on 28-1-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: Thank God you don't need to be able to spell to design things

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Grimpachi
Religious Hostilities Reach Six-Year High

We’r e living through the “most peaceful era” in human history — with one big exception

If religion is such a moral compass then why does it inspire so much killing?

Humans have always looked for an excuse to kill each other.

If others have things they want, some people will take those things regardless of the cost. Secular governments and religious governments both engage in mass murder on frequent occasion.

People do not like to take responsibility (or feel guilty, ie responsible for) and so they find things to blame and banners to hide behind.

-FBB

EDIT
Also your article ( www.salon.com... ) is not all that true. Most studies of pastoral communities and hunter gatherer communities show that they engage in far less violent activity both as a percentage and number.

Human Nature May Not Be So Warlike After All
www.wired.com...

It is large centralized societies which are thought to have spawned the overwhelming majority of violence (AKA Governments).
edit on 28-1-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm gonna call BS.... Their is no proof of any of this.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join