It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Louisiana Public School Cramming Christianity Down Students’ Throats

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

nwtrucker
Great! That's one. Jefferson, that's one for my side...this is ridiculous. Obviously, almost all immigrants were from Europe which was Christian-other than pockets in the south left over by Muslim invasion. This below "101".

Need more? Because Jefferson isn't on 'your side' as you so think. According to his writings, and most notably his letter the Danbury Baptist -- the letter that all point to in terms of stating that the First Amendment has a "separation" clause in it -- comes from your hero who held...wait for it....humanistic views in terms of how Government is to operate separate from that of the People and more poignantly, the States.

My point is where is your bleeding heart for all those forced to pay for educations, relocate for the purposes of that preferred education in religious schools. Centers of "evil" like Notre Dame. Evil people like JFK et al.

And you have dropped off the rails and deep in some emotional argument that doesn't exist. When you are ready, we will debate.

You have no problem protecting the "rights' of that family and care not one wit about the 10s of thousands of families adversely affected by your outside intervention.

How compassionate of you. How tolerant.

For educational purposes, this response above, is what is called projection. I haven't laid claim to any of what the respondent has claimed, yet they will portray it as if I did.

What is particularly troublesome is your blindness to the negative impact to those in La.- the vast majority- that your interference engenders.

Do pray tell, post where I have exhibited this....you are making stuff up at this point....sad really.

Good night.

As well as you.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Good morning! Here's "sad". You ignore the points of obvious Christian origin to the U.S..

Would you care to name The "humanist" views of Jefferson? As he held his views a tad earlier than the existence of secular humanists isn't it disingenuous to call those "views" humanistic?

As I stated before, I have yet to see anything the humanists have created that didn't exist well before them. Not any moral code or concept.

If I misplaced some comment of another on this thread to you, my apologies. It was unintended. A bit tired yesterday as I had worked early.

You seem to ignore my views on national survival, the right of U.S. citizens to operate as they choose within their own state, that those that have different views in that state have the same option as religious people do in states where religion isn't part of the normal education process, i.e. start/support their own schools.

Is it because you consider them valid?

Arguing about the level of Christian content in the founding fathers and the norm of their day is selective quoting out of a lifetime of publication and not indicative of the general population in any way shape or form-not to mention off topic.

I suspect and believe a good portion of your argument is valid. My point, once again is so is La.'s and my support of them in this issue.

La. doesn't tell you or your how to think and conduct business. Their view of separation of church and state differs widely from yours-and mine- and have the right to exist as your do.

I don't believe in a society run by a religion and surely don't want an irreligious society either.

Off to work.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

a poster displayed near the waiting area of the main office announces that “it’s okay to pray.”

Fair enough... as long as there's another poster next to it which says "it's ok not to pray".

I'm far from religious but I wouldn't mind a public school teaching kids about god and how he created all of us, as long as they teach them about the theory of the big bang and why it's more scientifically plausible. In my childhood I attended public schools and Christian schools, neither one of them presented both sides of the story and allowed us to make up our own mind. They simply forced one opinion upon us and denounced the other as a delusional fabrication, there was no room for independent thought. Why do things always have to be so damn black and white on this retarded planet...
edit on 27/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Man ... this is horrible.

Allowing kids to practice their faith in schools is one thing ... and I'm totally okay with it as long as no one is forced into doing it ... but this is just disgusting. I would put this on par with the Spanish Inquisition in terms of religious oppression.

To the Christians that seem to think this is a good idea, let me tell you, from personal experience, that the quickest way to have non-christian kids is to send them to a Christian school. Students at Christian schools come out maladjusted, psychologically damaged, and intolerant of religion.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

nwtrucker
You seem to ignore my views on national survival,

Melodrama.

the right of U.S. citizens to operate as they choose within their own state,

The fact that they are "U.S. citizens" says it all.

that those that have different views in that state have the same option as religious people do in states where religion isn't part of the normal education process, i.e. start/support their own schools.

The options available to the residents of different states is not above their rights as "U.S. Citizens". There is that phrase again.

I'd say it is the opposite.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
That one of the many bad things about being a Christian, they cant be satisfied with their own belief, they force it on others.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by benrl

Look at the 10 Commandments. They aren't laws. They are "religious," and therefore evil even though pretty everyone agrees that most of them are generally good ideas to live by.

edit on 26-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

Can you name all ten commandments? Don't bother, I'll list them:
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (Useless for moral reasons)
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. (Usesless for moral reasons, not to mention Christians defy this commandment everyday with Jesus hanging from the cross)
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain (useless for moral reasons)
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy (useless for moral reasons, not to mention Christians break this commandment weekly by having the Sabbath on Sunday not Saturday)
5. Honour thy father and thy mother (I guess this is ok, but is subjective, I certainly wouldn't honor any parents who abused me as a child)
6. Thou shalt not kill. (good)
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. (good, but who honestly listens to this commandment Christian or otherwise?)
8. Thou shalt not steal. (good)
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. (good)
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

So about half of the ten commandments are useless outside of religious reasons. So why should they be important to non-Christians/Jews? Sure the second half of them are great moral codes to live by, but I don't need some otherworldly god to tell me not to kill someone else.
edit on 27-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

ColoradoJens

Wow. That's a humdinger of an article. Although outrageous and totally inappropriate I imagine this thread will soon be hit up with those claiming this is what America needs more of. This school is the opposite side example of why the US ranks nearly last in all education categories.

CJ

Incorrect.

While the US doesn't do great in elementary education, the top 15 Universities in the world are American.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think each individual student should be asked, if thats what they want. I dont think that the administation should do that though. I think they should have clases for people who want to explore religion.

If I were a parent, then I woul just move my kid to another school. I would first ask them though, if that is something they want to explore. If they say yes, I will let them, and if or when they decide that its not their thing, I would take my kid to a normal public school.

I dont think its right to throw your child into that type of situation, where if they choose not to "believe", they they get out cast. I know for a fact a lot of "christians'" tend to black ball you when you dont agree with their fantastical stories. Not all of them though.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

There are schools Louisiana where the Valedictorian graduates with a C average.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

nwtrucker

Good morning! Here's "sad". You ignore the points of obvious Christian origin to the U.S..

Would you care to name The "humanist" views of Jefferson? As he held his views a tad earlier than the existence of secular humanists isn't it disingenuous to call those "views" humanistic?

As I stated before, I have yet to see anything the humanists have created that didn't exist well before them. Not any moral code or concept.

If I misplaced some comment of another on this thread to you, my apologies. It was unintended. A bit tired yesterday as I had worked early.

You seem to ignore my views on national survival, the right of U.S. citizens to operate as they choose within their own state, that those that have different views in that state have the same option as religious people do in states where religion isn't part of the normal education process, i.e. start/support their own schools.

Arguing about the level of Christian content in the founding fathers and the norm of their day is selective quoting out of a lifetime of publication and not indicative of the general population in any way shape or form-not to mention off topic.

I suspect and believe a good portion of your argument is valid. My point, once again is so is La.'s and my support of them in this issue.

La. doesn't tell you or your how to think and conduct business. Their view of separation of church and state differs widely from yours-and mine- and have the right to exist as your do.

I don't believe in a society run by a religion and surely don't want an irreligious society either.

Off to work.

What you forget is that a person's freedoms end where another begins.

There is the separation of church and state. Deal with it.

No one should have religion forced on them, wanted or unwanted. And no, people just can't pick up and move, it is isn't that easy. That is a silly argument.

If you pay taxes but want your child to go to a Christian school, yes you have to pay for it. You want a special doctrine.

Because your taxes are not just for YOUR child. What narrow minded thinking.

they are for everyone's child. That future cardiologist that is going to save your life needs to learn science and how to read, in order to become a cardiologist, and you are helping pay for it. Same with undertakers, pilots, fireman, garbagemen, businessmen, etc.

Because you don't exist in society singularly, your money is going to educate everybody.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

rupertg
Dear World,

Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sincerely, tired of hearing your religious guff

Right here people.
Best. Argument. Ever.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I am surprised at the outrage of some here, and the funny belief they have that somehow religion and state are separated ANYWHERE EVER.

I could get outraged at the total laughability of this , but I will not, the herd is being herded, again, just some herds get mad at things others do not....

Carry on in the same fashion we always have, then.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

ketsuko
reply to post by benrl

Look at the 10 Commandments. They aren't laws. They are "religious," and therefore evil even though pretty everyone agrees that most of them are generally good ideas to live by.

edit on 26-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

Can you name all ten commandments? Don't bother, I'll list them:
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (Useless for moral reasons)
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. (Usesless for moral reasons, not to mention Christians defy this commandment everyday with Jesus hanging from the cross)
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain (useless for moral reasons)
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy (useless for moral reasons, not to mention Christians break this commandment weekly by having the Sabbath on Sunday not Saturday)
5. Honour thy father and thy mother (I guess this is ok, but is subjective, I certainly wouldn't honor any parents who abused me as a child)
6. Thou shalt not kill. (good)
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. (good, but who honestly listens to this commandment Christian or otherwise?)
8. Thou shalt not steal. (good)
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. (good)
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

So about half of the ten commandments are useless outside of religious reasons. So why should they be important to non-Christians/Jews? Sure the second half of them are great moral codes to live by, but I don't need some otherworldly god to tell me not to kill someone else.
edit on 27-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

Here's a great video to help with what your talking about.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

nixie_nox

ColoradoJens

Wow. That's a humdinger of an article. Although outrageous and totally inappropriate I imagine this thread will soon be hit up with those claiming this is what America needs more of. This school is the opposite side example of why the US ranks nearly last in all education categories.

CJ

Incorrect.

While the US doesn't do great in elementary education, the top 15 Universities in the world are American.

Not incorrect. Factual.

US Behind the World in Basic Education

Although we do have some of the best Universities in the world, this has no bearing on the level of education the vast majority obtain in our schools. The fact that one can pay $25,000 a year for private school on their path to Harvard does not make this go away. BTW, good to see you here nixie nox.

CJ

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by nwtrucker

The U.S. was not founded as a Christian nation otherwise the separation of church and state wouldn't be part of the Constitution.

EmpathicBandit
The constitution of the United States, CLEARLY STATES, there will be a separation of church and state.

edit on 26-1-2014 by EmpathicBandit because: cut out ranting. your welcome.

How does this happen? Who changed the constitution? Have you read the constitution?

Once again, please quote the part of the constitution that addresses what a public school can or cannot teach (esp. regarding religion.)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IraColmillo

The state funds this public school so the fact that the school is clearly a Christian environment means that this school is violating the Constitution.

If they want to practice mandatory Christian prayer and have murals of Jesus and bible verses adorning their walls the state is obligated to stop funding them because that's what the first amendment states, that the state (who funds this school) should be separate from the church (which is what this school basically is).

Read the first amendment and you'll have your answer. If this were a private school funded by the parents it would be a different story, but it is a public school funded by the state. Very simple.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Well , it's Better than Cramming Athesism Down their Throats . Praise The Lord !

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Know what's even better? When neither are shoved down their throats.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I can't believe religious people actually fight against the separation of church and state. Why on earth would anyone want such a corruptible force interwoven into their faith? The history of governments that favor any one religion hasn't been good, ever...There isn't one example of it turning out well. In the end it is going to make your religion look like #. It always does. I'm a Spaniard, our history is a great example. Learn from history. The two should never mix.

Religion should stay personal. It's great that you love your religion, but you can't legally bind others to it. That is a recipe for disaster. We all hate politicians, so why would you want those same people involved in your religion.
edit on 27-1-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join