It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry - even at home.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Same here, I live in belgium...
That whole gun thing is in your culture (U.S.) I guess...

If I would live in an area where a home invasion would be a possibility, I would move instead of packing a gun the whole time...
Your culture is so far far a way from western European country's... good luck over there...

We had a few home invasions in our country, mostly homes of bankers and diamond traders and such...
edit on 11-1-2014 by drneville because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think it's just as important to have hand to hand combat/martial arts/self defense training as well. Maybe more important. What happens if you can't reach your gun, it jams or you run out of ammunition. You may also be disarmed, forget the safety and miss the first shot. Then what? The assailant or multiple assailants are on you. Do you have the physical stamina to fight, do you know where and how to strike...are you flexible enough to kick out someone's knee? Even the Marines practice hand to hand combat...for a reason.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

I happen to agree with you. anymore with home invasions. the knockout game, thieves waiting for you to get in your car to hit you in your back and take it. there is not a safe place in america anymore. not even in your home. if them thugs dont bother you. then you have the leo gangs breaking into houses, pulling home invasions. and destroying personal property. they day police officers started dropping serve and protect the public and turned it into serve and protect the corporations Is the day a CALL TO ARMS IS NEEDED.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by St0mP121

So true... cops these days, don't care about citizens and serving us in any capacity is their last mission. It isn't going to happen anymore. They kill and do whatever they want with impunity. When caught there is a fake inquiry and slap on the wrist.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

justreleased

Great attitude.

I will now stop this moronic debate.

If anyone wishes to read the previous posts then I feel my point has been made.

People who carry weapons are typically underprepared, violent and undereducated.

have a great weekend.
lol

Sorry Amigo but I can not abide your ignorance. Your demeaning attitude is quite annoying. The above statements are
so broad as to render them MEANINGLESS. Surely they were made in haste or perhaps someone bruised your fragile ego. ALL the individuals I am familiar with who
legally carry are not "Under Prepared, Violent and 'under educated "< Two words ,how ironic.
I suspect [ Oh golly gee ] I know, you are out of your league with respect to the subject matter.
Again, I suspect you are more then likely a pretty nice guy but for some reason this issue really sets you off.
Take Care

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

crazyewok

Maxatoria
If the USA is going that paranoid i'm amazed they can take a shower or any other activity that involves water or both hand without one hand being on a gun sometimes and i have this vision of bubba on the can with a 12 bore pointing at the door

If they have to live in constant fear in the USA then its certainly doing something wrong.

Two Islamic radicals were just found guilty of the death of a UK soldier in your country. Did that soldier (God rest his soul) live in fear? Probably not until the moment he was attacked. Did he feel fear at that moment? Probably a great deal. Would that soldier still be alive if the UK hadn't taken the ability to defend yourselves away from you? Possibly so.

Seems to me that the UK is doing (or has already done) something wrong.

The point is, the right to defend yourself, your family, and your home is an unalienable right, in the US at least. The right to keep and bear arms is an unalienable right, in the US. People who wish to exercise those rights, so to NOT end up as that UK soldier, are not living in fear. They are living with the full knowledge that this world is turning into an increasingly dangerous place, and they wish to be prepared for ANY eventuality. Because that danger could come at you from any direction, at any time.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by rayuki

Never mind the potential of the bad guy turning tail and running right back out because he saw the tenant was armed and able to defend himself/herself.

Really awful how people are "murdered" on our roads and highways more often than they are killed by gun-toting people who refuse to accept # from idiots who have no moral sense at all and deserve no consideration anyway.

Most of the people in the U.S. don't have enough common sense to be behind the wheel, let alone possess something that projects force over great distances.

Better hope TPTB don't decide there isn't enough profit in allowing you to drive. Once things cost more money than they earn, they're gone.

Like Rights.

but would he have the chance to run? or would the OP shoot him in the back?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

No he wouldn't be as he was hit by a car first. Hard to pull a gun on someone after being hit by a car.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm confused, you have a gun on you at all times inside your house but usually leave the doors unlocked? Or am I interpreting that wrong.

(post by Hendrick99 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

I used to be like you, a few years in security and a whole lot of Chuck Norris movies made me think I was a real tough guy too.

Then one day some loser crawled in through my roommates window at a boarding house I stayed at and robbed me, my landlord and my girlfriend at the time at gunpoint. Once you've been in a situation where your staring down the barrel of a gun from the oppsoite side of a narrow hallway, it really makes you re-evaluate how you decide to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Talking about something and actually doing it in real life are two different things, have you ever really had to fight off armed assailants from within your own home? And if so how did that go? I bet when the situation comes down to it you would be locking yourself in your bathroom waiting for the authorities to come, and you know what they say, when 5 seconds count the police are 5 minutes away.

This isn't Hollywood, this is the real world where the statistics aren't in your favor.
edit on 11-1-2014 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by christmaspig

Was he killed by the car? Knocked out? Or just down. Even with broken legs, hip, back.. a person, especially a person trained by the army, could still pull and shoot a gun from the ground, once seeing a man approaching with a knife/cleaver in hand.

Would it have saved his life? Perhaps not. That's why I wrote 'possibly' in my post. It would have given him a chance though, if he were capable of using that chance. The UK government took that capability away from it's citizens though.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

If I had the choice I wouldn't carry. And I'd be angry at the thought of more guns on the streets. I know a lot of Americans insist on their right to bear arms, it doesn't make it right or the sensible option. Gun crime statistics have pretty much proven the fact that more guns just breed more gun violence. I'm sorry but this is something people will always disagree on. But claiming our government is harming us by taking away the right to have a gun is out of order. They harm us enough in other ways but in this I, and most of the country, believe they are right. We do not want more guns.
I do not believe that carrying a gun would make me any safer. I think I'd be posing a risk not only to myself but innocent people.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by christmaspig

As to your last paragraph, and meaning this with no offense intended, yours is a common belief, and common thought. There are people that just don't trust themselves with a firearm, and by extension, don't trust others. As you say, it's your choice.

As to the first paragraph, please read...

thomas.loc.gov...
edit on 11-1-2014 by 2ndthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The reason I carry is because I can and I love my family, friends and neighbors. I don't ask for anyone's approval nor do I care what anyone thinks about my decision to NOT be a victim. If people knew when bad things were going to happen they would avoid the situation. I choose not to ignore that bad things can happen to anyone at any time. I just might be the person who stops a lunatic one day. I certainly hope I don't have to but all you folks who have your head in the sand sure will be glad someone like me is around if you are faced with an active shooter at the mall or filling up your car at the gas station!

I have a handgun within arms reach every chance I get. I am not paranoid and I respect your right to not carry or have a gun in your home. Criminals, however, don't care about your rights and prefer a person not be armed. Bad things happen to good people. It's life, I choose to stay alive.

Have a nice day everyone, I am going to the gun range to practice saving my (and possibly your) life.

Proud 2nd Amendment American.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

2ndthought

Two Islamic radicals were just found guilty of the death of a UK soldier in your country. Did that soldier (God rest his soul) live in fear? Probably not until the moment he was attacked. Did he feel fear at that moment? Probably a great deal. Would that soldier still be alive if the UK hadn't taken the ability to defend yourselves away from you? Possibly so.

Seems to me that the UK is doing (or has already done) something wrong.

The point is, the right to defend yourself, your family, and your home is an unalienable right, in the US at least. The right to keep and bear arms is an unalienable right, in the US. People who wish to exercise those rights, so to NOT end up as that UK soldier, are not living in fear. They are living with the full knowledge that this world is turning into an increasingly dangerous place, and they wish to be prepared for ANY eventuality. Because that danger could come at you from any direction, at any time.

You've illustrated the difference between our two cultures perfectly.

We see the murder of Lee Rigby as a horrific but rare occurrence. That's why it was global news. We turn the TV and know we are dozens of times more likely to die falling out of bed then seeing a gun, let alone being shot. We'd be far better off padding our bedroom floors than arming ourselves.

Even in the 70s, when the IRA were setting off hundreds - yes, hundreds of bombs - in London, we did not feel the need to arm ourselves.

One thing that struck me while travelling in the States was your local news. Pipe bombs, gun murders, sports riots - all seen as no more than local issues. School lockdown drills aren't even local news. Any one of those in London is global news.

You have the inalienable right to bear arms. If it's an inalienable right, it means your bad guys are also entitled to have them.

We have the right to bring up our kids knowing they are more likely to be struck by lightning than shot. I know which I prefer.

Oh, and before you trot out the old knife crime line, read my fourth paragraph again.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Whodathunkdatcheese

"One thing that struck me while travelling in the States was your local news. Pipe bombs, gun murders, sports riots - all seen as no more than local issues. School lockdown drills aren't even local news. Any one of those in London is global news."

Pipe bombs? Not so much. At least, I don't hear about them. Gun murders, yes. I won't deny that, nor make excuses for it. Sports riots? Believe me, our sports riots can't hold a candle to your soccer hooligans.

"You have the inalienable right to bear arms. If it's an inalienable right, it means your bad guys are also entitled to have them."

Actually, if you paid as much attention to America as you claim to, you'd know that the 'bad guys' are NOT entitled to them. There are laws that prohibit bad guys, ie: felons, from owning guns. Doesn't stop them though.

"Oh, and before you trot out the old knife crime line, read my fourth paragraph again."

As for your knife crime. Do you deny those per capita stats? Or are you trying to add in all those 'pipe bombings' and deaths due to all those 'sports riots'?

The difference in our cultures? As I see it, there are many in the US that choose to not be a victim when crime comes looking. Many that choose to take a proactive approach toward their own safety and security.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I just had a thought that the OP actually is only 10,000 years or more behind the times by realizing that locking/securing a door/entrance is a good idea, having a gun etc is a secondary part of the story its more the fact that the nasty person tried the door and decided that since it would not open they'd find someone else who had an 'open door' policy, so whether or not the person inside the house had a gun or not is of no relevance since the nasty person did not enter

it would be better to go around telling people to check their doors/windows before going to sleep as it's much better for everyone as it saves money on ammo as you won't need to be shooting people as much

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

How about you keep your doors locked? Seems to have worked for the op without a single bullet being fired. Sorry is that too forward thinking?
edit on 11-1-2014 by christmaspig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by CeeRZ

I feel sad for you if you feel the need to carry a gun/weapon in order to feel safe.

It is your right but.....whatever. Some people are thick.

She isn't carrying the gun to feel safe, she is carrying the gun to BE safe

There is a big difference. Now after finding this out, do you still feel sad?

Guns are a lot like condoms.. It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.
edit on 11-1-2014 by alienreality because: add

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join