It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry - even at home.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Maxatoria

It's paranoia.....until you see the bodies of neighbors carted out with sheets over them...dead by scumbags who wanted their property more than they did.

Then it's self preservation and intelligent response to the challenge of not joining your neighbors.

One of those things....if you haven't experienced the need, it's probably impossible to even attempt to describe the requirement.

That is the ultimate joy of a free nation though. I can take personal responsibility for my life and safety ...and my neighbors can become willing and accepting victims of violent crime. We are all free to make our choices and live by the outcomes...or not.

It has been said that, a gun is like a parachute. If you ever need it, and don't have it. You will never need it again.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

There have been many break ins in our local area and guess what the theives are stealing ?
You got it GUNS.
Now if this lady is carrying at home do you not see and advantage to that.
Hard to steal a gun from someone locked and loaded.
Finger on the trigger.
Someone mentioned parinoia.
Thats just a heightened sense of awareness.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bluesman1955

There is a difference between being paranoid, believing that one is under a threat which does not exist, and being prepared for what the world might throw at you. Logically speaking, home invasions, street robberies, carjackings, heists, and wanton bloody murder, occur on a daily basis across this planet, therefore, being prepared for any and all of these scenarios is not a mark of paranoia.

Sitting in your attic with an EMP cannon, waiting for Skynet to attack your home... that probably qualifies, but being physically and mentally prepared to defend yourself and your community against tangible threat? That is the responsibility of any person who loves freedom, and embraces its highest virtues.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

_BoneZ_

justreleased
I feel sad for you if you feel the need to carry a gun/weapon in order to feel safe.
It is your right but.....whatever. Some people are thick.

I can't wrap my head around the ignorance of that statement. So what, she's supposed to be at home alone and unprotected while the robber comes through the door with his own guns? Is she just supposed to sit there and take whatever the robber dishes out?

Eff that. If someone comes through my door, they're eating lead, period.

You can feel sad and sorry for those of us that carry if you like, but we'll be the one's surviving while those who think they can get away with crimes against people and their property will be laying on the floor.

A thought just entered my mind.
Maybe he's one of those people doing the break ins.
LOL

justreleased
Some people are thick.

Yes, yes they are.

justreleased
I can defend myself with my hands.

Not if you're being shot from across the room.

edit on 10-1-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I see what you're saying - but it was because you had your door locked that you weren't burgled, not because you had a gun on you.

It seems paranoid carrying a gun around in your home, the one place everyone expects to feel safe, and you even said yourself that crime is so rare in your neighbourhood.

If that's what you're like in your own home, what are you like in a public place?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

No offense, but - were I in that situation - I'd feel like having breakfast.

I can worry over the home-invaders family or I can act to protect my own. I have a wife and two children. If you ignore the barking dog and enter my home uninvited I will do what I have to do to absolutely secure their safety first. I must assume you are there to rape my wife and kill my children, and respond accordingly. That is my primary moral obligation.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

violet
The guy is lucky he didn't enter your home. You would have shot him. Lucky for you he couldn't get inside.

I always lock my doors. I don't have a gun. I put some of my Xmas bells on my door handles and can hear them jingle when somebody touches the handle. My cats will panic when anybody approaches my front steps. It's all I can do is just have these alerts going, so I have time to make a call to the police.

I keep my phone on me at all times. I keep lights on outside to illuminate my yard. This deters robbers from choosing your home because they usually like to work under the cover of darkness. I've been robbed a few times. Our vehicles were robbed and one stolen. It happened when I turned those lights off thinking it was silly to keep wasting electricity over 'what if's'. It's not silly. So I always have them on now all night long. I leave a light on inside as well.

I live in a high crime area. Lots of grow ops, lots of crack addicts, the bacon brothers and so on.

I'm more concerned with my ex husband sending somebody to my house to attack me. I was panicking when I filed for divorce last year, then panicked again when we went to court and he was given orders to pay me out. I was keeping knives at my side. So far I'm not dead and have become complacent thinking I was just paranoid, but I really can't be complacent thinking he won't strike. He's always threatened me he has people who will kill me. I just can't have a gun. Can they be operated with one hand? How would I load the bullets? My good arm is strong from only using that one and I can swing a good punch and kick, bite, pull hair. It's about all I can do to fight back.

Anyways that must have shaken you up. Glad you're ok.
Good thread.

Jingle Bells Shotgun Shells Someone's At My Door
If They Break In They Won't Do It Again And They
Won't Be Back No More.
LOL
Just had to do that
Couldn't resist

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I come from a different culture/country (Scotland, UK) and I am so glad we don't have/need guns.
Maybe in England, but up here in Scotland it would be like having a chocolate space suit. Pointless.
I don't the the OP here. This post seems to be the OP justifying to herself the reason to have a gun.
I am not saying the old woman's house wasn't burgled, but what if she was home, would she be packing..

Also..Just to , just go with me here..

Imagine you are outside in the street, walking, Gun in your Handbag or belt (whatever) and within a split second, you have two people with guns in your face "HAND UP"
Guns are useless at this point.

I am so glad I don't live in the USA, The country has went MAD. But I still love you guys, so many friends over there.
But with all the new laws and rules and less food stamps and medical care...oh no, I would be out of there by hook or crook

I get up at 8am, call the Dr's at 8:10am, see the Dr for 9am. 15/20 minutes with patient, always my own Dr. I walk out with a prescription with 1 item or 10 items. I got to the Chemist. I get my medication. ALL FREE.
Why can't the USA do this? Why wasn't it done? More people die not having medical care than gun crime these days..

I feel for you guys, unless you are rich, life must be so hard.
Unless you want to make a good one up

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You have put your fate in the hands of the Gubment... Feel safe yet?

"Why I carry a Gun" author unknown

I do not carry a gun because it is comfortable,
carrying a gun is not comfortable;
I carry a gun because it is comforting.

I do not carry a gun because I am afraid;
I carry a gun so I do not have to live in fear.

I do not carry a gun to kill people;
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I do not carry a gun to scare people;
I carry a gun because sometimes this world
can be a scary place.

I do not carry a gun because I am evil;
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough
to see the evil in this world.

I do not carry a gun because I am angry;
I carry a gun so that I do not have to spend the rest
of my life hating myself for not being prepared.

I do not carry a gun to make me
feel like I'm a better man;
I carry a gun because men know how to take
care of themselves and the ones they love.

I do not carry a gun because I love it;
I carry a gun because I love life and the people
who make it meaningful for me.

I do not carry a gun because I hate the government;
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations
of government.

I carry a gun because I know that I alone am responsible for my safety and I have not abdicated that right and responsibility to anyone else.

It is a "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public protection, to any individual citizen" Warren v District of Columbia 44A.2d a (D.C. Ct of Ap., 1981)

When Seconds count - the police are only 4 minutes avg away.

edit on 11-1-2014 by DogMeat because: More things to Bold..

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I haven't read the responses here, but I'm gonna guess your post is a waste of time. Unless a violent assault took place, you'll get little supposed on the subject. I have a CCW as well, the one place I don't carry is home....2 very mean German Shepherds

For some reason, the stories of a person concealed carrying that stopped a crime, rarely make much media attention. You can no doubt find them, but not on the 6:00 news. I have 4 friends that are cops, I hear the stories.
I'll tell ya the other side as well, that is the concealed carriers that don't unholster the weapons based on the backlash. There have been stories for years of the horror that can follow. The gentleman (who was a survivor at the Columbine shooting) who taught my CCW class has gone as far as to give up his wallet instead of pulling his weapon, not because of the danger, but because of the legal backlash. Crazy but true. I had a situation about 2 months ago with a guy with literally a 12"+ blade threatening a panhandler (he was out of a car) sadly, I watched to see if was going anywhere, but in the end, did nothing.
If they can't take our guns, they'll make them useless by fear of consequence. I'll S&F this thread but won't follow up on replies or direction of this conversation....good luck!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
so this guy was very lucky you locked your doors, or you would have murdered him for trying to steal your tv? what a wonderful world we live in!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I totally agree with all that you have written.
I think in this day and age we have way too many pacifist.
Just waiting for someone to take care of them.
Be it the police,government or a next door neighbor.
I thoroughly believe in being prepared for any situation.
Be it earthquake,tornado,break in etc.
Not paronoid just prepared.
It won't always save you but your odds are increased tremendously.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

Never mind the potential of the bad guy turning tail and running right back out because he saw the tenant was armed and able to defend himself/herself.

Really awful how people are "murdered" on our roads and highways more often than they are killed by gun-toting people who refuse to accept # from idiots who have no moral sense at all and deserve no consideration anyway.

Most of the people in the U.S. don't have enough common sense to be behind the wheel, let alone possess something that projects force over great distances.

Better hope TPTB don't decide there isn't enough profit in allowing you to drive. Once things cost more money than they earn, they're gone.

Like Rights.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

DocScurlock

justreleased
reply to post by CeeRZ

I feel sad for you if you feel the need to carry a gun/weapon in order to feel safe.

It is your right but.....whatever. Some people are thick.

ATS needs to have a thumbs down option where the stars are that way when dumb people say stpid $chite we can thumbs down them...

edit on 11-1-2014 by agentscoly because: typo correction

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

rayuki
so this guy was very lucky you locked your doors, or you would have murdered him for trying to steal your tv? what a wonderful world we live in!

How do you know it was a TV???
Might just have been your virtue! Dare I say your Daughters/Wife..if you have one.
Heck, they may even have wanted your Life...O’my gosh how terrible.
You were the good little Gov. servent and didi as they say and have no guns... how good for you.
Not to worry that trusty rose in the vase will save you, just toss it at them.

So, not having a gun allows them to do as they please and you would sit
there and just take it hoping all they wanted was your material things???

Please don't tell me about Gun Laws. If anyone thinks that law will make a criminal give up his guns has the IQ of an Ice Cube.
They are All Ready Breaking the law in the first place and care nothing about the law or they would not break it….duh

Personal philosophy: If you don't want to get shot ... Don't “break” in my house.
If my doors are locked that means what it means..stay out . No friend or family member will just walk in..period. They knock, Crooks do NOT knock!

Just take a look at the country's that have laws that do not allow guns.. Just how safe are they.... Only the crooks have the guns.

Folks need to take off the Rose colored glasses, this is not 1940 any more. Sad but true.
edit on 11-1-2014 by DogMeat because: more to say,

edit on 11-1-2014 by DogMeat because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2014 by DogMeat because: grammer issues

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by grey580

?

Are you being sarcastic.

I can defend myself with my hands. I typically don't carry or need a weapon. i.e. gun.

Personally know a guy who heard noises got up with a bat to see what's up and got shot through his kitchen window

Other perp shot gunned the front door when he heard the other guys shot

His friend next door came over and held him as he died, heard him gurgling taking his last breaths

Even Bruce lee would have wound up dead

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

nothingwrong
reply to post by CeeRZ

How would you be feeling today, had the door not been locked. Had you shot and killed some poor young dude who was stealing to feed himself and his family. Would you be thinking, Jeez - I killed a man, I could have just let him take the TV and the insurance would have paid for it, but I killed a man.

How would you be feeling today?

Personal rights, personal wrongs.

I would not kill another human to protect some meaningless material possessions I could replace tomorrow.

How do you replace a life? A family with no father? A family lost their son.

Yeah - you can make yourself feel better by labelling him 'a low life scum' - that is just your brain playing tricks. Your heart knows better.

How would you feel today knowing you took a life to protect a TV, a DVD player, some jewellery?

I couldn't do that.

It is not the responsibility of a human being dwelling in the safety of their own home to guess or assume why another human being is forcing their way into that safe haven. Their innate responsibility is to protect themselves and all souls inside that safe haven. The burden is on the intruder. How would that human being dwelling in the safety of their own home know the intruders intention? Self preservation of life and liberty.

Would a human being feel terrible if they truly confirmed after the fact that the intruder was actually trying to steal to feed his/her family, and that this intruder had mourning loved ones? More than likely, yes. I can only speak for myself, that yes I would feel terrible.

If some one intrudes into my own safe haven, priority number one is self preservation of life and liberty. Their priority moves directly to the back burner when they put themselves in that situation.

It is what it is

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'm getting my CCW permit at the end of this month. Not because of this thread, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Haveing been in an accident that cost me my leg many years ago, and living with family that cannot really defend themselves, and don't wan't to handle fire-arms, it's up to me. They are all for it as well. The world is a scary place. You never know when a psycho might decide to just break into your house and kill people for no reason. This is one situation I'm sure anti-gun people would be wishing they were armed. There are tons of more scenarios. You could be anywhere and some fool could just start shooting people. I'd like to give myself at least a chance to protect myself and loved ones.

I've grown up around guns and have a healthy respect for them. But at this point, I cannot defend myself properly since my accident, and I feel vunerable. Even with rifles ready to go in my bedroom..., it's just not enough for when I'm out and about. I wouldn't mind it I got into a fight 1 vs 1 with no weapons involved. I've been in a couple since my accident and actually put a guy to sleep with a RNC. But if someone has any training in fighting, be it wrestling, jiu-jitsu, boxing, or worse MMA, I'd be pretty much screwed.

I thought of getting a cane that doubles as a bludgeoning type weapon, others that pull out to a long concealed blade, and after thinking those through, I've come to the conclusion getting a CCW permit and a small automatic hand-gun is my best bet to protect myself and my loved ones.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
To each their own... regarding carry or not & when or where to carry.

I just learned to shoot a gun. Took a class with my two sisters last weekend.

All three of us did pretty well according to our personal instructor. We shot

to stop an intruder each time (killing shots). We each shot 3 different guns.

I can now say that I know how to shoot. I trembled every time I had to pick

one of the guns up... but I am glad I did it. I became familiar with

how a gun works and the safety precautions to take when using a fire arm

and I feel much better about being around one.

I'm glad the OP's situation turned out ok. All I have to say... is if an intruder

comes into my home when my children are here...they are going to regret it

dearly. I will do what is necessary to protect. I could care less about possessions...

but gun or no gun... dare put my children in a position of fear or danger and they will

have a price to pay. I will become the weapon.

leolady
edit on 11-1-2014 by leolady because: cuz

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Gotta love this idea of letting crooks steal whatever they want. Anyone think that will help lower the crime rate and make homes safer?

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join