It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry - even at home.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by CeeRZ

I'm sure you suspect that your family is "different". Maybe a nagging feeling that something is missing?

I believe you posted what you did to make yourself feel better. I hope, for your sake, it works.

Before you get defensive, please understand that no one that is in the process of living and enjoying life, needs to have instant access to lethal force at all times.

Really? Violence is a part of life. We are all born with a defensive instinct. It's called survival, or do you just show your belly when someone attacks you?
There's both positive and negative to this existence, you can't focus on one and ignore the other.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Interesting thread, but typical.

Why is it the anti gun people always think they are some how superior to those that
decide to carry/own?

in almost every thread i have seen, there are the ones who are pro gun, who list reasons that
are viable and logical for having/needing a gun, and the ones against that do nothing but try
to make them look stupid and uneducated. It's sad. I also wonder how many of those anti
gun people are the same no meat, and we all get a medal for showing up, winning is not
important. makes ya wonder.

Personally i carry every where i go, 99% of the time no one knows i have my gun as i wear
a shoulder holster with extra magazines loaded on the opposite side.
So at any given time i have 3 magazines ready to go if needed.

At home, i normally dont carry, but as i sit here now, i have my pistol in arms reach,
as well as others in different locations around the house.

People can pretend things are not getting worse in the world all they want, but anyone
that reads news (not watches the guberment TV news) knows things are getting much
more serious, more and more crimes are happening in places where until a year or two
ago were never imagined.

One can play Russian Roulet with the odds and take their chances that nothing is ever
going to happen to them or their family, and think life is perfect, or one can take
measures to be able to defend and protect their family's if needed.

Personally i hope i NEVER have to pull my gun out, because if i am in that type of
situation, that means someone is going to die. I will not pull my gun out of the
holster to show off, or scare someone, i dont want to have to shoot anyone, but
if push comes to shove, you can guarantee someone is going down, and odds are it
wont be me or my family.

All this talk about people trained and crazy's getting guns, you have to pass quite a
background check and requirements to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
I would think if the Feds think you are sane and smart enough to carry, that would
be enough for the anti gun crowd.

My opinion of what others think, well personally i dont care what others think,
if they are for or against someone carrying a gun, because the facts are that
as long as you go through the steps and get the CCW permit, it's legal,
Not to mention its constitutional. If others are afraid of the big bad gun,
that's their problem to deal with not mine, having butthurt because someone else
is doing something you dont like is not in the constitution, nor any laws (yet).

The Anti gun crowd just needs to get a grip on their fears and worrys.
Because the guns are not going anywhere.

Sadly most anti gun people are simply afraid, they have not taken the time to
learn about guns , or go to the range and experience it first hand, they only go
off what they are told or what they read, Proof of that is all over the net,
Look at all the retarded remarks about "assault Rifles" when no such thing
exist. That big black scary gun, is the exact same as a wood stock deer gun
that many have used for years, the only difference is the looks of it and the
color, but it looks intimidating so they are afraid of it and freak out.

Sadly, they under estimate a person who is experienced in a bolt action.
I have seen on several occasions a person with a bolt action out fire a
so called "Assault Rifle".

To each their own, but personally, i would rather be prepared for the worst
and never need it, than to watch my family suffer as some of the news stories
have shown.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Carry on CeeRZ! I'm so thankful that we can exercise this right with responsibility. Even in small towns that appear safe here in the south, this foulness is happening at an increased rate. Equal opportunity for the preservation of life and liberty!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I personally don't carry inside the house, but I have quick access to my home defense firearm.

Although I live in a pretty safe area, every once in awhile something bad happens. I would rather be prepared than unprepared.

I think Wrabbit said it best.

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's paranoia.....until you see the bodies of neighbors carted out with sheets over them...dead by scumbags who wanted their property more than they did.

^ This sums up my thoughts exactly.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

You have prepared your equipment, but you do not appear to have prepared your mind, or understood the responsibility that ownership of your equipment places upon you. I do not say that to be antagonistic, so please hear me out.

I am British, and I live in Britain. Here, the law prevents me from having the same access to firearms that you have. However, my senses, and reflexive responses are honed to the point where any noise that seems suspicious, has me immediately prowling the perimeter of my apartment, checking down the way to look out for my neighbours, and armed to the freaking eyeballs with a machete and a Bowie knife.

Anyone, breaking into my, or any of my neighbours homes, will not go unnoticed, and will either be chased off, or summarily given a thorough introduction to my talents as a blade sharpener. A year or so ago, my colleague and I chased off thugs who robbed the local jewellers store. They had crowbars, and if we had been quicker off the mark, it would not have made a difference that my colleague and I were unarmed, because no amount of hardware can counter the righteous indignation of a man defending his neighbours, his home town, his way of life.

Let me put it to you this way. The only weapons I can carry with me outdoors are those I was born and blessed with, sharp eyes, acute hearing, fast reflexes, and determination to see justice done in an unjust world. Those weapons that I have are not just there for my protection, but bestow upon me, and anyone who has the same, a responsibility to use them for the protection of not just my own person, my family, or my property, but that of any law abiding citizen who is in danger. It is possible that seeing things this way, may land me in danger of death or prosecution under unjust laws which stand in statute in my nation, but nonetheless, this is the way that life is lived when you have a responsibility to your community, and to yourself, to see the righteous protected.

You ARE allowed, by law, to protect yourself and your community with your weapons, or rather, your constitution supports your right to be CAPABLE of doing so. Do you not believe that this places a responsibility on you, to look out for those who have not the strength or the sharpness of sense to do so for themselves? You have your guns, and that is admirable, but now you must step beyond ownership of your equipment, and train your mind in vigilance, to the point where your automatic response to suspicious sounds, is to fetch up your weapon, and secure your self and your neighbours. Otherwise, what point is there in owning such tools as you possess?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by CeeRZ

I feel sad for you if you feel the need to carry a gun/weapon in order to feel safe.

It is your right but.....whatever. Some people are thick.

Perhaps I should be as mean as you, and hope you get burgled, while in the house, and wish you could defend yourself.??
I presume you have a fine young policeman or men who sit on your porch 24/7? (or hallway, whatever)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

How would you be feeling today, had the door not been locked. Had you shot and killed some poor young dude who was stealing to feed himself and his family. Would you be thinking, Jeez - I killed a man, I could have just let him take the TV and the insurance would have paid for it, but I killed a man.

How would you be feeling today?

Personal rights, personal wrongs.

I would not kill another human to protect some meaningless material possessions I could replace tomorrow.

How do you replace a life? A family with no father? A family lost their son.

Yeah - you can make yourself feel better by labelling him 'a low life scum' - that is just your brain playing tricks. Your heart knows better.

How would you feel today knowing you took a life to protect a TV, a DVD player, some jewellery?

I couldn't do that.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

How would you be feeling today, had the door not been locked. Had you shot and killed some poor young dude who was stealing to feed himself and his family.

That's possible. Then again, it could have turned out into one of these stories. (Just a quick 2 second google search)

Victim killed in Alamance home invasion

Deputies say two people were in the home when the suspect broke through the front door and robbed the victims. The suspect then shot one of the residents before fleeing, deputies said.

Police: Pregnant woman killed during home invasion

TAMPA (FOX 13) - Police say a 22-year-old pregnant woman was shot and killed in a Tampa home invasion.

Home invasion victim died from strangulation

An autopsy determined that the woman killed in a home invasion early Monday morning died from strangulation.

The assailants entered the home through an unlocked door while the family was in the living area. Using what could be baseball bats, they threatened, bound and assaulted the victims. It has not been determined what, if anything, was taken from the home.

And this video that's already been posted in here.

I would rather be prepared for one of these, rather than sit back and just hope it's someone you described.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I could 'just a quick google' too.

But that would be missing the point. I have not criticised your choice, I have mode no statements either pro or anti gun. And we have no need of 'what-if's' because we know exactly what was going on - it was a burglar.

How about you answer my questions? You don't even have to post the answers here - answer them to yourself.

To kill someone who had come to burgle you. We know that they were burglars because you said your neighbours were burgled.

How would you feel killing someone to protect a TV or a DVD player or a bunch of Jewellery.

Would it be worth it? Taking away some innocent little kids daddy, because his daddy wanted to take away some of your material possessions?

How would you feel?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Our dogs would have gone nuts and alerted us to any mischief.
When I leave the house and leave the wife alone, I always lock all 4 locks on both the door and the security door.
You NEVER leave your valuables unsecured.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

People who die in home invasions and robberies do not die because they are unwilling to relinquish their possessions. They die because the person who enters their home illegally, is prepared to kill the resident for those wares, or in some cases, because their psychopathology demands it of them. Upon the instance of a home invader crossing the threshold, a resident is under no obligation to wring their hands over whether the person or persons who have broken in, are there to rob them, or to kill them. The act of illegally entering an occupied dwelling means that the person doing the crime is aware that the building is occupied, and is prepared to do bodily harm, or worse, to the occupant to facilitate their pacification, allowing the robbery to continue, assuming that robbery is the motive. This in mind, an occupant should have no compunction about defending themselves from such a threat with lethal force.

Just a month ago, a few blocks from where I live, a young man was tricked into opening the front door of the house he shares with his mother and siblings. He was forced back through the door, bound, and beaten, before any attempt was made at theft. The crew who performed this robbery and assault, cleaned the place out from top to bottom, leaving the victim tied up and bleeding on the floor of the empty living room. There were, according to the lads mother, five males in the crew that entered that home, and I know this because the lads mother came in to our locksmiths shop, crying her eyes out the day after, to purchase secondary security equipment to add to her doors and windows.

You defend yourself (assuming you have the means and the tactical choice to do so) not from robbery, but from the possibility of becoming dead yourself, or indeed allowing any innocent party to come to harm.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
To the OP: Good for you. Two guys raided our storage building, and couldn't get into our house when we were asleep. The same two guys killed two people about 7 miles from my house within 24 hours.

I have also had another strange experience. I was watching on TV when the news was showing a guy escaping from a patrol car, then running across a field about a mile from my house. As the news helicopter kept following the runaway, I noticed he was running my way. Eventually he ran right between my house and my storage building, jumped a locked gate, and ran across my back acreage. Of course, they caught him because it was daylight and the heli was following him. But, nevertheless, it was close, considering I don't live that close to the neighbors in the country.

I think if everyone had access nearby or carried, the crime rate would plummet. If I'm not mistaken, that has been proven. One county back east in the US required everyone to own a firearm or pay, I think it was, $500 in tax to offset the cost of providing police protection.

If you don't believe in the 2nd Amendment, used within reason (no crazies), then I personally feel you are not an American who believes in his own Constitution. Ask the Brits and Aussies how they like their gun laws.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Just to answer your rhetorical question about our gun laws here in the UK, it's not the gun laws that aggravate me, but the idea that a person cannot go about armed in some fashion in his own homeland. Personally, I favour the blade over the bullet, but it really makes me angry that I cannot wear a sword on my belt or my back, despite having no criminal record or history of involvement with a police enquiry.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I'm much happier living with my gsd than simply relying on a gun.
Even when I'm asleep he'll hear anyone trying to get in, his bark will announce to any intruder that my house is likely to be defended and I never have to aim him at some robber. He will just sort everything out for himself, giving me time to wake up and dig out something nasty to greet the invaders with. Assuming they're too stupid to have run away.

That said, keeping a gun would be a good second line defence.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

nothingwrong
How would you feel killing someone to protect a TV or a DVD player or a bunch of Jewellery.

Would it be worth it? Taking away some innocent little kids daddy, because his daddy wanted to take away some of your material possessions?

How would you feel?

Well, if they're breaking into your house, they've already made the commitment to kill or injure YOU. They've said "I am going to smash my way into this guy's house, and I fully understand that he might get up and tie it up with me, and I DON'T CARE"

So, if someone broke into the house, and it's happened twice, I'd feel really easy with using any level of force up to "Say hello to my little friend". So far, it's Tom 2 Burglars 0, no bloodshed needed. Quite.
edit on 11-1-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I can defend myself without carrying a weapon.

Just saying. It's my point.

I said if weak people feel the need to carry a weapon then it's their right.

Ummm....Watch out peeps...We've got us a real live Superman here...He can stop a speeding bullet with a mean glare and some rude condescension thrown in for good measure...You've got to admire those "fresh off the set of Hero's" guys that saw a Bruce Lee movie once...or was it that stay in the Holiday Inn Express that did the trick...Hmmm?

Do you always wear your underoo's on the outside of your jammies...or is that just for those...special occasions when your feeling extra omnipotent?

See how being rude and condescending...comes off?...When one thinks they have some smug superiority to randomly inflict...I usually chalk that up to emotional brinkmanship.

I apologize OP, But I felt the need to defend your right to live your life as you see fit. Personally, I see your forward thinking and preparedness as a strength of character and I would welcome you and yours as friend and neighbor. Rest assured that there are many millions more of us that find our security....not at the behest of another's dictate...but within...in a measured determination to champion and chart our own course and be the author of our destiny's.

I find it overly amusing that some would mistake foresight as fear and preparation as aspersion....I know however that I would rather stand in the company of you and others of like character.....

YouSir

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Maxatoria
If the USA is going that paranoid i'm amazed they can take a shower or any other activity that involves water or both hand without one hand being on a gun sometimes and i have this vision of bubba on the can with a 12 bore pointing at the door

WHy do you think they made plastic guns?
So you can keep one in the tub with you at all times.
Just don't use bubblebath or you might not be able to find it fast enough.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by CeeRZ

I feel sad for you if you feel the need to carry a gun/weapon in order to feel safe.

It is your right but.....whatever. Some people are thick.

This is a goofy comment. If getting your permit and carrying your firearm on you allows you to feel safe Woo-hoo. A firearm is just a tool like a cell phone or a fire extinguisher.

Would the commenter say 'I feel sorry for you because you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen or have to wear seatbelts to feel safe'? No.

Don't be thick...I agree.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Yeah, this baby dude just wanted to feed his habit, er I mean his family.

Just like this guy.

www.ksla.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Many replies here seem to lean toward belittling the OP for being paranoid, I say you who think exercising your right to defend yourselves makes you paranoid, take a walk in what you know is a bad neighborhood, not hiding inside your car, take a walk, enjoy the sensation.

So many of you have never been exposed to reality, have no real experience at anything at all to speak of, you live in front of your TV, sit in front of your computer, drive around in your cars, isolate yourselves from reality.

I call that paranoid, the way most of you live your lives, and I do walk around and ride my bike around thinking about this regularly as I enjoy the world while those paranoid ones sitting in front of their big flatscreen TV's call the police because there is some stranger walking down the sidewalk or riding a bicycle down their street that they are unfamiliar with, yes, it happens and will happen again. I call that paranoid.....

I am waiting for the police to come by where I live right now because of a rumor around town which was started by the vice mayor's high school dropout son, we were talking about guns, I guess I never should have admitted I owned one. I'm not paranoid, I have nothing to fear I , I have nothing to hide and know my rights. I lawfully possess the firearm.

I know I have the right to my privacy, the right to remain silent without being prosecuted for not talking to those I prefer not to talk to, the right to live any way I please as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights and freedoms of others to do the same. The right to defend myself, at least until you fraidy cats cause everyone to lose that right and rely on your "god given government", what bull#, what if, by chance there is no god....?....eek!!

Those who do not protect / exercise their rights have none, an awful lot of you....go hire a goddamned lawyer, ask for some guarantee of performance, good luck with that one....

Guns and any other weapons are only tools, too many who own firearms fail to use the most important tool which is their brain.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Quit picking on the OP because you are too afraid to step closer to the margin, I am the margin, I don't want you around.
edit on 11-1-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: gack

edit on 11-1-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: bbbb

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join